Part XII

The SM freak

Exo is under the spotlight all the time, for everything that they do. The ultimate gold for the company is to keep them all sane, that's why they are under the constant watch of managers and coordies, not to control them, to protect them. Some people often thinks that they lack in charisma, they priced their dancing and singing skills, but with out charisma, you are not an artist but a robot.

As an artist you have to go beyond the name of your label company, beyond the awfull song that some foreing composer sold to the company, own the stage, communicate, give your self. If not you are just a boy (or a girl) who can follow a choreography and hit some notes and trust me, there are a lots of those.

To achieve this level of excelency and brake away from the "idol" image, they work hard and they expose them selves on stage in hopes to find the artist within them and to find out if that artist is, for a fact, a part of Exo.

All of these thoughts occupied Zitao's mind these days. His life was suppossed to be this: practicing, learning, growing as an artist, show his art, because since he joined SM, he was sure that he had something to show, to share with the world. However, at some point, mostly because of Chen, he had been distracted by other facts of life, like, love. He started to anlized Jongdae's behavior. How everything about him just screamed "Yixing".

At the beginning there was something strange about him, Tao didnt know what it was. Until one day he saw them interact, he had already seen them, but this time it was diferent. Like the silent, permanent, inconcient, smile on his lips even when Yixing wasnt even talking to him. Or how, when they were in the same place, he would get closer and closer to Xing. Tao was sure that neither one of them noticed, but he did. When the time started to pass by, Chen, changed, he became more confident, more friendly, more like a man, less like a lost child. The determination that he saw in his eyes whem they were at the dance practice, when Yxing was teaching him over and over, that wasnt the same funny Zhongdae, that was Kim Jongdae.

It didnt take long for Tao to put two and two together and to come to the conclusion that this change, wether he noticed or not, wether he looked for it or not, was thanks to Yixing. To that fire that only Yixing lit on Jongdae, that force, that wasnt the million scoldings from the coreographer or the managers, or Suho or Kris. That force, Tao realized, was love. Jongdae was in love with Yixing and that made him grow.

He looked at his side and saw that one person who had been that force for him, the one person who would cry with him when he was home sick, the one that would tell him that he needed to go to sleep, the one that thout him to breath in order to rap better, the one who would dry his hair after a relaxing bath, the one that priced him and got surprised every time that he did wushu. The one, the only one that he didnt want to let down: Yifan.

Yifan didnt know, but this love, wasnt based in silly things like attraction or beauty or lust, yes there were those, but mostly, it was deep, old fashion, pure, respect. Tao knew that Yifan loved, LOVED, Chanyeol. Kris saw thru Chanyeol's eyes, felt in Chanyeol's heart and breathed because of him. Chanyeol was that force for Kris. The fuel, the one thing about his life that he didnt want to change for the world. Yifan left his home to move to the other side of the world, changed his name, changed his hair, he became someone that he never dreamed of, and he would do it again, he still wanted to be an actor. And Zitao knew that all of that could happen, but he also knew that nothing was going to happend without Chanyeol. He was sure. If tomorrow Chanyeol didnt like SM or Exo anymore, if he wanted to leave tomorrow, Yifan would follow. He told him that he told this to his parents. That his mother cryed for having a gay son, that she told him to choose and that he chose Chanyeol.

Zitao respected that, he always, from the first moment, he knew his place: he was Kris's little brother, good friend, no more. If Chanyeol ever decided to leave, he was gonna be the one left behind, he was never gonna be Yifan's choice. He knew this, he accepted this. he couldnt not love Kris the way he did, but he could just respect him. And so he did.

When they broke up because of Baekhyun he couldnt understand why he would do that: brake them apart, step in the midle of something that was sacrate even for him, only to get what he wanted. How could Baekhyun just stand there and brake Yifan's heart? He didnt even think that Yifan was going to fall in love with him now that Chanyeol had betrayed him. Why? because he respected Kris, his times and his feelings. So he kept shut: his heart and his mouth. And he let Yifan treat him like crap even if he didnt know why, he let him. And when he told him that he was crazy for loving him, he heard him.

But now, it was to much. Everytime he walked he could hear it, it was like the constant noise of peaces of broken glass, the sound followed him everywhere. Only dancing and singing the sound would fall down. So he did, he occupied his body in order to calm his mind. But that was not to become an artist, because the artist must never shadowed the human inside.

He was, or seemed, so at peace. A nervous peace of mind, a contradiction. And people wanted to tell him, that it was just a computer, that he'll get a new one, that the fans could give him one, five, ten. But they couldnt because in reallity, he wasnt complainting, he was actually doing everything that he was told. "Its time to go to bed", "Its your turn to do the dishes", "Can you turn the volume down?", "Its to the left not to the right", "If you strech a little bit..see? That's better". "Come to play with us hyung".

All he did, and with the coming of the days he saw, like he had seen in Chen, that he changed. That that force that was Kris had changed him, that he was no longer him self.