Four - 4

Wishes Can Come True
chapter four;

 

When we entered the mall, the strong air-conditioner from above the doors messed up our hairs. Kyungmin groaned and fixed her' s right away as I just laughed. I tightened my coat around me and linked arms with Kyungmin as we walked together. 

The mall was like any other, but it seemed to be an eco-friendly kind of mall. There was a courtyard and in the middle, stood a very tall and old-looking tree. There were even swings, see-saws and slides at the right of the tree; a playground. On the right stood a fountain, a blue-tinted marble fountain and three benches were encircling it. 

Kyungmin asked if we could visit there later, I told her sure but we had to finish looking around the mall first. 

"Ah, they don't have anything good here!" she complained in a whisper. 

For about an hour now, we had gone through almost every open and finished shop. We went in, looked around, and then walk out of the store completely empty-handed. We've been doing that for almost one hour and I'm getting kind of hungry already. 

"Dongsaeng," I stopped in my tracks and held Kyungmin's wrist. She turned around and raised her eyebrows as if saying 'Mwoya?', "Baegopayo," I exaggerated a pout and looked at her innocently. "Can't we just grab a snack? How about that kiosk we passed by? I think they sell homerunballs, can we go there, jebal?" 

Kyungmin rolled her eyes but agreed to me. "I'm hungry too anyway," she smiled and the two of us head for the kiosk we passed earlier. 

"Ahjumma, how much is one?" I asked, poiting at the creampuff-like snack. "The chocolate though, not the cream," 

"5000," she smiled kindly. 

I nodded before already giving her ₩50000, "Ten please," I said, I then turned to Kyungmin. "Don't worry, your's is on me," I smiled wide for her. 

"Kamsahamnida," she gave my arm a small hug and smiled back. 

After we had gotten our snacks, it took us no time to finish it up. Kyungmin and I threw the wrappers away and that was when we both decided to head for the fountain in the open courtyard. 

It was really beautiful, the courtyard was. There was a glass ceiling at the top, and it showed a magnificent view of the sunny sky outside. Despite the warm weather though, my hands were still dead-cold.

"Can we play on the swing, Sunhee unnie?" she asked me teasingly. She poked my sides, making me look at her. Her eyes were big and she pouted. 

I scoffed and shook my head. "Andwae! Andwae! " I told her. "Let's just go to the fountain now," I grabbed her hand and dragged her along with me, I couldn't help my victory smile. Unlike Kyungmin, I wasn't easily fazed by aegyoes or whininess. 

The fountain, like I said, was a blue-tinted marble one. When she and I looked over at it, we saw a few dozen coins in the bottom. 

"Awwh!" Kyungmin suddenly sighed. "It's a wishing fountain!" she turned excitedly to me, face beaming lips curved into a wide smile. "Do you have a coin with you?Ah, wait never mind!" she hastily dug her hands in the pockets of her jeans and jacket. 

"Kyungmin, what-"

"Aha!" she showed me ₩100 coin and she was grinning like crazy. "Do you believe in wishes, Sunhee?" she asked me, the excitement of her voice faded a little.

I was a little taken aback by that. "I-well, it-it-I don't . . . it depends on what you mean," I stammered. 

"How about magic?" there was a little twinkle in her eye as she said that. Her smile was dreamy and almost whimsical like. 

"I don't really, well, I can't say I don't believe it because I've never experienced it," I admitted. I tilt my head to the side in curiosity. "What made you say that?" 

Kyungmin merely smiled and looked down at the fountain, down at the waters where the coins were. "Because your going to make a wish with me," she turned to me again and flashed a smile before looking back at the fountain. 

"But, Kyungmin! I-I-" before I finished my sentence, she gave me another ₩100 coin. She smiled reassuringly as I looked down at the coin in my hand. "I-" I wasn't one to believe in fairytales, in magical fountains and wishes coming true. That all seemed made-up, childish and just wrong to make kids believe in them; giving them flase hope. 

But, yet, I felt more than willing to throw my coin into the fountain with my best friend. I sighed and looked at her, she was looking back at me with hopeful eyes. "Alirght, fine, this is for you, Kyungie,

"Great!" she beamed and turned to the fountain again. She closed her eyes as she thre her coin, I stare at it as it floated down the bottom, the clear water making it visible. Kyungmin only opened her eyes after a few seconds. "Now, your turn, Sunhee," she said. 

I looked down at the coin and then at the fountain. I sighed to myself, might as well do it now, Sunhee.

With one more sigh, I closed my eyes. What did I want to wish for? There was something, actually someone I always wanted. A guy, a boyfriend, someone who can make me feel special. Someone who I can always turn to when Kyungmin's not there. Someone who can be my best friend, but at the same time, he can be my lover-my everything. 

I've been feeling so lonely. I've been shutting myself from my family. Kyungmin is the only one who can make me smile and laugh these days, but the loneliness I'm feeling is too big for even her to stitch it up. 

I needed someone who can grow old with me, spend the rest of my life with me. I'm still in high school, but all good-relationships start at a young age. At least, that's what I've been hearing. 

"Any time now, Sunhee," Kyungmin chuckled beside me. 

I snorted and cracked a smile. I still had my eyes closed, the coin was still in my hand and with one swift move, I threw it at the fountain in front of me. I heard a plop, meaning it had succesffuly landed on it. 

I knew who I wanted and I knew why. I wanted to get to know him better, to make him like me as much as I like him. 

I wish for Zhang Yixing.