Thirty - 30

Wishes Can Come True
chapter thirty;

     

{Sunhee}

I ran as fast as I could; careful of not tripping or bumping into something on my way to the subdivision's park. Why the park? Because next to her own house, the subdivision's colorful park was her favorite place in the world. It used to be mine too. 

Eunjae, please be there . . . desperate pleads and prayers were circling inside my head as I raced with the setting sun. It was almost completely dark now, just a few minutes left until the sun would finally set. She had to be there, probably by the swings all alone - if she wasn't then I don't know where to look next. 

 "She's got to be there," I mumbled to myself as I tried to pick up my pace. "She has to be,"

And . . . she actually was. 

Right where I predicted. Eunjae was sitting on one of the swings, she was all alone and nobody, not even a single kid, was around. I sighed in relief and closed my eyes for a brief second, feeling my heartbeats slow down as I erased the worried and panicked thoughts I had. 

She's here now . . . she's here  . . . you can make things right . . . you can bring her back to your side now . . . 

Slowly and carefully, I walked two steps forward, just looking at Eunjae's hunched back instead of the ground. My steps became bigger, and I walked faster towards her until I finally jogged over to the girl. 

"Eunjae," I whispered when I was behind her now, only a meter of space separating me and her. 

She was swinging back and forth slightly, but when I said her name - she suddenly stopped and I could see her body go stiff. 

"Why are you he-" 

 Not bothering to move when she finished, I cut her off. "Eunjae, are you alright?" I asked when I stepped into her view. 

No, she obviously wasn't. She had been crying, I just know it. Even before she showed me her puffy eyes, before she looked up at me, before she had glared at me with those red eyes - I knew just by her voice that she had been crying. 

"Oh, Eunjae," I knelt down in front of her glaring face. And I reached out to touch her,  "I just heard about the news and-" 

The sound of her slapping my hand away echoed throughout the deserted park. I stepped back, a little stunned at what she had done. Eunjae was always mean to me since the start of high school, but I never even thought of her doing that. I was lying to myself, she would hurt me. 

"What do you want, Sunhee? Huh? Do you want to sympathize me? Do you want to comfort me, hm? Is that what you wanted?" she asked, her voice only rising with every word she said. "Did you really think that I would let you? Did you really even hope for me to go soft on you just because . . . just because-because-" 

I was even more stunned and surprised at what she did next. She actually burst into tears. 

"Why did it have to happen . . . why me? . . . why, why . . ." she was muttering incoherent words and I only caught a few of them. She seemed to be pitying herself. 

"Eunjae, don't cry." I said softly, daring to take a step forward. "Stop crying," 

"Don't tell me what to do!" she said like a little kid. "Crying can relieve stress and-and-"

"It won't help you solve the problem," I shook my head at her. "Crying can do nothing right now, Eunjae, and deep inside, you know it."

She just stayed quiet as she looked down, not meeting my eyes again. She knew I was right and that made her shut up for once. 

"But, at least . . . I kept my promise this time," I muttered, kneeling in front of her. 

Eunjae didn't yell or shout at me this time, but she did glare as she asked; "What promise?" 

"To be there for you when you're feeling down." I said softly. "Remember? When we were kids-" 

"Well, we're not kids anymore, Sunhee." she said. "We've grown up. I've grown up. I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in wishes, I don't believe in true friendship and true love-" 

"Why not?" I decided to cut her off, seeing as how she looked like she was on the verge of tears. 

"Because!" she spat out, glaring at me again. This time though, she did not stay seated on the swing. She stood up and I had to step back as she stepped forward, glaring at me straight in the eyes. "If true love existed, mother and father wouldn't of have divorced! If true friendship existed, then you would still be my friend!" 

"The only reason we're not friends anymore is because of you!" I shouted back, unable to control my temper and anger anymore. I was surprised at myself, so was Eunjae. 

Not wanting to let this moment end, I continued. "You were the one who ended it, Eunjae. You were mean to me, you bullied me, you always glared at me. And I don't even know what I did wrong! I tried to make amends, I tried to be friends with you again but you kept on pushing me away!" 

I finally had the courage to shout back at her, to tell her what I really felt and thought. 

But, Eunjae didn't stand in shock for long. Her wide eyes narrowed as she sent daggers through me again. "You're wrong! You are so wrong! It's not me who started all of this, it's you, Sunhee!" 

"Mwo-

Eunjae stomped her foot on the ground before crossing her arms. "You're were so perfect when we were kids! You were pretty, smart and you played badminton! All the guys liked you, including him! Him! Including my crush, including Kim Jongdae!" 

"I-huh? You're-you're lying!" 

She snorted. "Oh, don't get the wrong idea, Sunhee. Chen liked you, but not as a crush. But still, he liked you way more than me, and do you know how heartbreaking that is?" her amused smile turned into a big frown. 

"I-Eun-"

"Because of you, I had to work twice as hard in making myself look good. I had to work my of in school too! But you know what's worse than doing all of those?" she said, looking at me with big puffy eyes. "Is that people, especially Chen, wouldn't even give me second glances."

Eunjae didn't look angry now. She sounded and looked a little sad. Just plain sad. This time, it wasn't an angry girl talking anymore, it was a heartbroken one who just wanted a hint of attention from someone she admired. 

"Is-is that why you hated me?" I asked, my voice soft. "That's the reason why you were so mean and cru-" 

"Yes, but that's not all. Not only did our classmates liked you better, but also our teachers! They always favored you, Sunhee. I was okay with all of that at first, I was your friend after all. I was suppose to be happy for you, right?" she paused and for a moment, her features softened. But it didn't last long. 

Eunjae eventually glared at me again, her eyes piercing through me, making me step back. "Until even my parents wanted you as their daughter!" she yelled. "Because of you, I felt insecure. you were supposed to be my best friend, you were suppose to help me! But-but instead, you . . . you made me hate myself more, Sunhee." 

For a few minutes, we stood in silence. It seemed like we were the only people in the world, because it was so silent. It was dark out now and the park's lights were lit, they were the only source of light around. 

"Eun . . . ." it was like my body was moving by it's self, because the next thing I know - I'm hugging my ex best friend. "Oh, Eunjae," I feel like crying right now. I feel so guilty and so stupid. Why stupid? I'm not so sure myself. But, I'm also a little confused. 

But I'm still happy even though Eunjae isn't hugging me back. At least, she's not declining or shoving me away. 

I spoke to soon though. Her hands were on my shoulders and she roughly pushed me back, making me stumble backwards. 

"Whoever said you can hug me, Cha Sunhee?" she said, that venom in her voice again. "I don't need your sympathy, I already told you that, right? Why can't you leave me alone now, Sunhee? I don't need you!" 

"You need a friend, Eunjae, you need someone to comfort you, especially with what you're going through right now." I told her, worry in my eyes and in my voice. "I can help you, you know," 

"I don't need your help!" she shouted as she turned her back to me, but she doesn't take a step forward.

Something made contact my arm. Something wet. But then, all at once - small rain drops started pouring down from the starless sky.

Neither of us move though. But Eunjae says something as our clothes are getting wetter by the second. "Go away . . . " this time, her voice was soft and gentle like a whisper. "I don't need you," she repeated before walking away. 

I couldn't let her go that easily. Not when I just found out why she hated me so much. "Eunjae, no, wait!" she was running now, the sound of her shoes splashing against the puddles echoes throughout the neighborhood. But, she doesn't listen to me. She doesn't stop at my words. She only stops when a loud honking pierced through the air. 

Like a stray deer seeing bright lights, Eunjae stayed rooted to her spot in the middle of the road as a car was rapidly approaching her. 

"Get out of the way, Eunjae!" I shout, failing to bring her back to her senses and making her run. "Eunjae! Get out-Oh, why bother?!" 

I pushed her roughly to the side as I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, just when the pickup truck zoomed past us, missing our feet by mere inches. We landed on the sidewalk a little painfully, but I doubt we were seriously injured. 

I groaned as I got up. "Are-are you alright, Eunjae?" I asked her as the sound of the maniac car was getting fainter and fainter.

She was still shocked, I knew it. She just nodded, unable to say anything as I helped her up. “Nothing’s wrong? Nothing’s painful?”

She shook her head, making her wet hair sway from side to side. The rain was getting heavier now, and at this rate, we might catch a cold. “Can we go to your house? Is it okay if Granny Lee can patch us up?”

“Su-sure,” she said shakily. “Sunhee,” she looked at me in the eyes as she held onto my wrist.

“Yes?” I asked expectantly.

“Th-th-thank you. You-you saved me!”

I smiled and hugged her. This time, to my joy, she hugged back. “You’re welcome,” I whispered.

We went to their house after that and after we got pass Granny Lee (long story on how), she made us tea and Eunjae offered some of her clothes to me. We talked to each other and sorted some things out. I told her I was sorry, she was too. I told her I missed her, she missed me too. I told her I forgive her, and she forgave me too.

I asked her "Can we be friends again, then?”

"Yes," she said.