Eighteen - 18

Wishes Can Come True

    {Sunhee}

 

      The morning was cold but it was slightly sunny. It felt like this morning's lessons and subjects had been fast-forwarded. 

 

    English went by fine as we did book exercises and of course, it included of me taking sneaky glances at Zhang Yixing and occasionally looking at the cherry blossom tree outside in the courtyard. 

 

    My schedule didn't include History in Wednesdays, instead, I had Physics. And no, not a single member of the kingka group is in it. 

 

   It was only until the third period - Foreign Languages that Xiumin and Luhan were in it along with Kyungmin. But Kyungmin was absent today, because she had catch a cold from his dongsaeng

 

    Right now, it's lunch break and as usual, I was eating outside, under the cherry blossom tree. I know I'm not the only eating out, but right now, it kind of feels like it does because Kyungmin isn't with me. 

 

    But it's actually okay though because I didn't have any encounters with Eunjae and nobody bugged me with questions today. 

 

    The staring and the whispering was the only thing that bother me, but I could get pass that even with that Kyungmin. 


 

       Extending my train of thoughts, I came across Jongdae. The reason behind all the whispers and rumors that had been going on lately. 

 

    I placed my chopsticks down and sighed when I saw my lunchbox still full of rice, shrimps and meat. I suddenly didn't feel that hungry and I now wasn't in the mood to eat. 

 

      I reluctantly grabbed my bag from my side and placed it nearer to me. I could feel the rectangular binder inside. The binder that held the partner research paper I finished last night. 

 

   At least, almost finished since Jongdae will write the last part. 

 

  And speak of the devil, here he was, walking towards me right now. A lunchbox in his hands. 

 

_________________________

 

 

    {Third Person Point of View}

 

    He had waited all day long for lunch time. But this was different. 

 

  Of course, like the rest of the students in the school, he always wanted lunch break to come quickly so he could rest and eat. 

 

   But this time, he would be resting and eating but he would do that with someone else. Someone besides his close friends. 

 

  With his bag at his back, that had his own lunchbox in it made by one of his maids, he walked through the hallways; heading down for the courtyard. 

 

  He hasn't seen her, Sunhee, at all today. They didn't have History together, Jongdae had Biology while Sunhee must of had another class too. 

 

  So, he was looking forward to seeing her and talking to her again today. And since this idea just popped up into his head last night, he said; why not

 

  And besides, he needed to get the research paper form her and continue on writing it for tomorrow's dead line. 

 

  He wanted to surprise her too by doing what he's about to do, and he's anticipating the look on her face later on. 

 

  "Chen," a voice called out for him, somewhere above.  

 

   Jongdae knew the familiar voice and he didn't even have to guess who. When he turned around, Yixing was walking down the stairs and towards the second landing. 

 

      "Where are you off to, hm, Kim Jongdae?" Yixing asked a little teasingly. When he reached Jongdae's side, the two of them walked down the stairs and to the ground floor together. 

 

   "I'm eating out," Jongdae said when they began descending down another flight of steps that led to their destination. 

 

  "But, we can't- 

 

   "Not outside of school, hyung," Jongdae said, laughing a little. "I meant outside, in the courtyard, under the cherry blossom tree,"

 

   "Huh? Why is that?"

 

   Jongdae shrugged, a smile threatening to appear on his face at the truth. "Oh, nothing really . . . it's just a good day today," he wasn't really lying because it was partly true anyways. 

 

  But Yixing could see past this dongsaeng​. He smirked playfully and nudged Jongdae in the sides. "Eh, don't lie to me, Chen," 

 

  Jongdae laughed whole-heartily. "Ah, hyung, I'm not really lying," he admitted. "It's the truth, look how sunny it is outside, see!" 

 

   The two of them stopped at the nearest window, overlooking the courtyard. Jongdae pointed up at the sun, proving his point. 

 

  Yixing laugh and smacked the boy's head lightly. "I know, but that's not the whole truth isn't it?" 

 

  "Aniyo," Jongdae admitted and shook his head. "It's not . . . hyung, look over there," he said and cocked his head towards the cherry blossom tree. 

 

  The older one did and his eyes widened a little when he saw what Jongdae was referring to. Or, who he was referring to. 

 

    It was that girl; Sunhee. Like always, she was eating outside and probably under the same bench. But Yixing couldn't relly tell because he had forgotten. 

 

  "You're . . . you're eating outside with her?" he asked, finally realizing it. He turned to Jongdae and riased both of his eyebrows. 

 

  Jongdae nodded and smiled softly as he watched Sunhee all alone outside in this beautiful, fine weather. "Ne, I mean come on hyung, her friend must be absent and she's all alone," 

 

  "You're right," Yixing said and patted Jongdae's back. "Well, good luck in trying to fill up her loneliness, Chen," he said before walking away, headed for the cafeteria for lunch. "I'll see you later!" 

 

  "You too!" Jongdae shouted back, his gaze never leaving Sunhee. 

 

  Sighing but smiling, he headed for the doors leading to the courtyard outside, ready to eat some lunch with her; with Sunhee. 

 

_________________________

 

 

  {Sunhee}

 

   "What are you doing here?" I blurted out when he stopped infront of me. 

 

  Jongdae frowned but then made a face. "I want to eat here,wae?" he answered back. 

 

  "I didn't mean to sound so rude, mian," I said, but my tone lacked apology and he could hear it. 

 

  "Jeez, Sunhee," he said, chuckling a little as he sat down on the space beside me. "I just wanted to eat outside,"

 

   "Out of all the benches, Jongdae," I said and pointed at the empty benches and seats around us. "Why do you have to-" 

 

    "You look a little lonely," he said simply. "Where's your friend? That one you always hung out with, hm?" 

 

    I frowned and looked the other way, sighing. "Kyungmin is sick," 

 

    "Oh, well, I can be your Kyungmin for now," 

 

   I widened my eyes and snapped my head to him. He was smiling, his eyes smiling along with his lips . . . and he looked so sincere, so honest and so genuine. 

 

  "Eh? What did you just say?" I asked, laughing a little. But was he really serious? 

 

  "I said . . . well, metamorphically speaking, I said; I can be your only friend for now," he said, his smile softening. 

 

  I tilted my head to the sound and gave him a curious once-over. "Yah, stop fooling around, Jo-"

 

  "I'm not joking, Sunhee-ah," he said as he placed his bag below the bench and put his lunchbox on the space between me and him. "I'm serious you know, and besides, I still have to get the research papaer from you," 

 

   I snorted and shook my head, but I said nothing. I didn't protest actually, because I kind of wanted his company and presence. I wanted anybody's company right now since my best friend isn't here. 

 

  And maybe, I kind of actually just plain wanted Jongdae to be with me. Even though if he isn't Kyungmin or Yixing . . . but, for now, he can do. 

 

   I watched him prepare his lunch and food as he sat there, just a few centimeters away from me. 

 

   Unexpectedly, he looked up at me. "Why aren't you eating yet?" he asked. 

 

  "I-uh, I'm already finished," I said. 

 

   "Do you still have some food or rice left?" 

 

  I nodded and placed my hand on top of the lunch box behind me. "Um, ne, wae-yo​?" 

 

   He bit his bottom lip and I could see his ears turning red. I couldn't help it, I couldn't hold back my smile. 

 

   "Can I-can I have some? Jebal?" he asked shyly, a small smile paying on his lips. "This lunch isn't enough for me and I'm a growing boy, so I need-"

 

  "Yeah, sure. Here," I said, laughing a little when I handed him my own lunch box. "You can have it all if you want, I'm not really hungry right now," 

 

   "Gamsahabanida!" he said as he took it from my hands. 

 

   I laughed lightly at how childish and happy he sounded. He was grinning, but when he opened his eyes widened and his jaw dropped a bit. 

 

   "What's wro-" 

 

   "Are you sure you ate? Did you eat anything at all, Sunhee?" he said, a sly smile on. Before I could answer, he continued on. "Mwoya, you don't like shrimps? But I thought this was your favorite seafood," 

    

   I blink twice before opening my mouth, but nothing, not even a sound came out or was made. 

 

  "Are you sure you ate already?" he asked me again, worry in his voice. But then, a second later, the sly smile he had on was back. "Or are you on a diet?" 

 

  "Ah, yah!" I slapped him in the arm, a little too hard. "I'm not on a diet! And . .  . and yes, shrimps are my favorite food." I added and I could feel the heat rise up to my cheeks. 

 

  "I obviously ate already, Jongdae, there's only half of the rice filling the space," I said and pointed at it. "You can have it though, it would be a waste if I just threw that," 

 

  Jongdae shrugged and nodded. "Alright," he said and placed the meat and the shrimps along with his own food in his small lunchbox. "But do you want some galbi? You used to love these back in the days," 

 

  "Ah, you have galbi?" I asked excitedly as I peered at the contents of his luncbox. At the side was grilled beef ribs smothered with what looked like barbeque sauce. "Can I have some?" I asked reaching for my chopsticks. 

 

  "Ne, of course!" Jongdae said, his mouth half full with the meat he got from me. "Eomma and one of the maids made that, just-just so you know," 

 

  I took one bite of it and it took me a while to actually swallow it because I was still savoring the taste of it's sauce and how it just blended with the beef. "Your eomma always grilled to perfection," 

 

  I saw him smile. "I know," he said knowingly. 

 

  Jongdae and I ate and chatted there in the benhc under the cherry blososm tree. Lunch time was about to end, but for once; I didn't really care about being late or anything.

 

   I knew what I wanted; and it was being there and talking with Jongdae - talking with Chen.  

 

   I was laughing at a funny joke of his, until he suddenly said; "Now I get why you like to eat here, Sunhee," out of the blue. 

 

 "Jinjja-yoWae?" I asked, slighlty teasing him. 

 

  Jongdae smiled and looked up at the pink cherry blossoms that had fallen on the ground. "It's nice out here and there's fresh air. It's nice eating under the tree," he said and pointed up at the big cherry blossom tree behind us. "It relaxes you, doesn't it? And does it inspire you for your paintings?" 

 

  I shrugged and swung my legs forward. "Sometimes it does when I want to do a painting of nature," I admitted. 

 

 "It's also nice becuase it's sunny out today," he continued on. "I'm right, aren't I?" 

 

 I smiled soflty and nodded as I looked at him. "Ne, you are," 

 

 "But," he said as he placed the cover of his lunchbox on again. "There's another reason, right?" 

 

   A little taken aback again, I looked at him and tilted my head to the side. "Mwoya? What do you mean?" 

 

 "I have the feeling there's something else that keeps you wanting to eat here outside," he said. 

 

   I gulped and looked away from him. I couldn't really bring myself to tell him about Eunjae bullying me. It was too personal, and if he asked why; I don't even know why she was bullying me all these years. 

 

  "Aniyo," I lied, and the minute I said it; I felt really guilty. Lying was really not my thing. "You're correct about everything, except the last sentence. I just eat out here because it's more peaceful and less chaotic than in the canteen," 

 

  Jongdae looked at me and narrowed his eyes as he leaned. I tried not to smile, but with the look on his face - it was a little hard. I wasn't use to him being serious, because I always knew him as this hyper-active kid that was always fooling around. 

 

  "Eh, you never did like noisy places," he said more to himslf than me as he shrugged. I sighed in relief. "So, anyways, are you finished with your part on the paper?" 

 

   I nodded and reached for my bag. "Yup, yeogi," I opened it and grabbed out the yellow binder and handed it to him. "Don't edit anything on it, arasso? It's already good," 

 

  Jongdae snorted as he took the binder from my hands. "Tch. You're praising your own work? How-" 

 

   "Yah!" I said and slapped him on the shoulder. "I'm proud of it, alright? Don't judge me," 

 

   He just rolled his eyes and shook his head as he stood up ad grabbed his bag, stuffing his lunch box back in it. "I won't, from now on." he said, smiling a little. "I'll see you later, annyeong, Sunnie," 

 

  I wave at him as he walked away. "Annyeong . . . Jongdae," I sighed out and again, I'm left here all alone.