Fifteen - 15

Wishes Can Come True
chapter fifteen;

{Sunhee}
 

On a rare day like this, a sunny and warm day where you could hear children laughing, birds chirping, leaves rustling and where you can clearly see the sun shining above. It was the first sunny, no-cloud day in Seoul. And it reminded me of a memory, it triggered my brain to a happy memory I always cherished; 

"Sunhee! Ha ha! Let's go down the bank!" The fourteen-year-old Eunjae said enthusiastically.

Just like today, it was also a very sunny and warm day at that time. Eunjae and I, during the time when we used to be best of friends, were near the Han River, playing in the grassy fields. I remembered the reason we went there; it was because it was the first sunny day in Seoul after at least two weeks of rain and gloomy weather. It was a Saturday, a sunny Saturday; the perfect time to go out and have fun.

"Don't get me wet-ahh! Eunjae!" My younger self whined. I stomped my foot on the ground and pretended to throw a rock at her. "Yah! Lee Eunjae! I just told you to-ahh!" 

She kicked water at me again and this time, it hit the front of my shirt. Wanting to be playful and to have revenge, I cupped my hands and placed water on it from the bank of the river. 

I threw it right at her, and it sparked the start of a water fight by the Han River.  


Just thinking back to that memory. Just visualizing it in my mind and remembering it, makes me smile and have hope of bringing back our friendship and stitching it up little by little. But then, I frown. Just two months after that happy memory, Eunjae had shut herself  away from me and has never spoken to me in a friendly way since. 

To this day, I still wonder about it. I can't see where on Earth we were wrong. 

"Yah!" Kyungmin pushed me roughly, almost making me fall of the stone bench. "Lunch time doesn't last forever and your kimchi is going to attract flies soon," she scolded me. 

I only sighed before picking up my chopsticks and continued to eat my lunch. Kyungmin talked and talked on about her morning, while I only stayed silent and nodded my head. 

"Alright," she placed her chopsticks down and it clanged as it hit her steel lunch box. "What's wrong, unnie?" 

"Aniyo, nothing's wrong." I said, and it was true. Nothing really was wrong, except ll the rumors. But other than that, everything was just fine. 

"I don't believe you." she said. "Tell me about your troubles when I come back," she suddenly stood up and looked down at me as she smoothed down the back of her uniform. 

"Where are you going?" 

"To the restroom, I'll be back, so don't go anywhere." she said before turning around and walking away from me. 

I sighed and slouched more, continuing to eat my lunch and trying to clear my thoughts and worries. 

 

 

{Third Person}

Walking towards the canteen, Jongdae's mind seemed to be restless as it kept on thinking back to Cha Sunhee. How quiet she was and how uncomfortable she seemed when Jongdae tried to talk to her in class. He was a little worried; what if she'll avoid him because of all these rumors about them? Jongdae hated the thought of it. When the two of them were talking and were hanging out yesterday, he felt the feeling of comfort again from her. Only Sunhee made him felt really comfortable. So comfortable that he's not even ashamed to laugh out loud in public. 

Needless to say, he wanted the two of them to be close friends again. 

When they passed by one of the large windows that overlooked the courtyard, Jongdae glanced at it twice and then stopped. She was right there. Her; Sunhee. She was under the big cherry blossom tree, sitting on one of the benches along with her friend. 

"Why is she out there?" he asked himself, not concious that he had said it out loud. 

 "She's always eating out there," Jongdae nearly jumped in surprise as one of his close friends, Yixing, answered his question. 

Like Jongdae, Yixing was also gazing out the window and was looking out at Sunhee and her friend, Kyungmin. His eyes squinted as he looked at her through the glass, at the distance. 

"Didn't you notice that?" Yixing asked him. "She eats out with her friend everyday when it isn't raining," 

Jongdae shook his head and looked back at Sunhee as he pocketed his hands in the front pockets of his jeans. "Aniyo, I didn't." he admitted. "She always eat out there, Lay?" 

"She-"

"Yah! Are the two of you coming or-" 

"Go ahead! We'll catch up, hyung!" Jongdae shouted back at Kris and waved them off. He turned to Yixing and smiled for him to continue on. 

He sighed and glance at his friend. "I really don't know the reason why she eats out, but I just know that she eats outside on the same bench everyday when it's not raining," 

 The two boys looked through the window as Kyungmin stood up and then, walked away after, leaving Sunhee alone under the cherry blossom tree. 

"So, you've been observing her? Or something?" Jongdae asked. Then, he thought of something. Sunhee was alone, and nobody was around, he could go and . . . Yes, he could do that.

"Not really called 'observing'," Yixing said, grabbing back Jongdae's attention. "More like, 'noticing'. And it's not the same thing, alright? I-I . . . I just notice her outside everyday and I always wonder why she and her friend eat out rather than being in the canteen,"

"Yeah, well," Jongdae gave him a light slap in the chest with the back of his hand as he faced him. "I'm going to go and find the reason why she does so," he said and walked away towards the doors that led out to the open courtyard. 

 

{Sunhee}

I was facing the way where Kyungmin had went, so I didn't really notice him when he was walking towards me. 

He only caught my attention when he said, "Annyeonghaseyo, Sunnie-ah." 

My heart jumped and I clutched on it as I faced him, an awkward blush on my face. "Ah-uh, J-Jongdae," I stammered. Goodness, what does he want? "Um, uh-"I can't even form a logical sentence right now by the way he's looking at me. 

"Are you . . . you don't have anything to do later?" he said, smiling a little. His smile, even though it didn't quite reach his eyes, he was still handsome. 

Lying was not my thing, I feel to guilty if I lie even if it's just a small, white lie. "Me? I-um, aniyo, I'm not doing anything later after school-"

"Jeongmal-yo? That's . . . great! So, can you go with me later? Jebal?" he asked me, his eyes turned to pleading big ones. 

I only had a few seconds to think about this, but something inside me just wanted to say; 'sure' or 'of course!', and honestly speaking, I guess I really did want to just blurt that out without thinking over it. 

I mean, he used to be y best friend and I loved and cherished every memory we made and every moment we spent together. I want him and I to be close again, and I'm starting to sense he does too. 

I sighed and hesitantly nodded. "I-joh-ayowe can-we can hang out . . later," 

The bright smile on his face is enough to make me smile too. "Great! Later, after class, school gates, arasso?" 

Not really containing it anymore, I smiled and then nodded. "Ne, of course," 

He seemed to be satisfied when he stood up. He waved 'bye' and then jogged back to the doors leading back in the school. 

I only sigh to myself and then for the second time second time this day, my heart jumped in surprise when Kyungmin's voice came out from nowhere; "Wow, I only leave you for less than five minutes and he shows up? Ah, jinjja?!"