Twenty-Two - 22

Wishes Can Come True

        {Sunhee}

 

        Three days went by with me and Jongdae talking to each other in school, interacting together and texting each other until it was already midnight. 

 

    It's safe to say that my friendship with Jongdae is only growing and blossoming more. 

 

   Surprisingly, the rumors and the whispers lessened but the staring didn't, but I didn't mind though, I was kind of used to it when I wore those big glasses in 2nd grade. 

 

    Kyungmin seemed to be right about Yixing and I. We weren't progressing. We never talked to each other since I bumped into him in the hall probably last week. I would just glance at him and admire him from afar as always. 

 

   I started to doubt what Jongdae and Kyungmin said; Wishes can come true. 

 

  Pfft. Yeah, right. If they can come true, then why did my wish didn't yet? I knew Kyungmin was just wasting her money when we threw those coins in the fountain. 

 

  It's Thursday now, and I had History again with Jongdae and unfortunately, Eunjae too. 

 

   She's been absent last Tuesday and I saw no sign of her during Wednesday. Kyungmin doesn't even know why she was absent, and I was getting a little worried and I was relieved at the same time. 

 

    I sighed to myself and stared out the window, looking at the big cherry blossom tree as always. 

 

   Teacher Pyo was checking our assignments, and told us to keep quiet as he did. But, of course, some of the students didn't pay attention and they were just whispering to one another. 

 

   "Oh, I almost forgot," Teacher Pyo suddenly said and cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. 

 

   I turned my head to him, waiting for what he was about to say next. 

 

  "I've already calculated your scores for this month and It's sad to say that almost half of you in this class failed," he announced. 

 

     Some of my classmates groaned, including Kim Minseok; Xiumin. Teacher Pyo raised his palm up, silencing them. 

 

  "And since I can't tutor all of you and make your grades higher, I've decided to let some of your classmates here do it." he said, smiling a little. But then his smile dropped when one of the students burst out; "MWOYA?

 

   I sat up straight and craned my neck a little higher. "Seriously? I mumbled as my eyebrows knitted together. 

 

   "There are some of you here that excel in this subject, and those students will help the ones who don't excel in English," Teacher Pyo explained. "Those students, or the tutors, will be given extra credit if I see your tutee's grades go up."

 

    "Ah, but seonsaengnim!" one girl said loudly. "Who exactly are the ones who will tutor, and the ones will be tutored?" 

 

    "I'm glad you asked Minji," he said and cleared his throat as he pulled out a long piece of paper from his desk. "Here are the students who will be the ones to tutor, if your name is called please stand up," 

 

     He began calling off names and one by one, the students who were called all stood up. 

 

     "Cha Sunhee and then . . . Kang Kyungmin," Teacher Pyo looked up and smiled at all of us. 

 

     Kyungmin and I glanced at each other when we stood up, she looked uneasy and I felt a little nervous. 

 

    "Okay, you may now sit down," he said and I sighed when my bottom hit the warm surface of my chair. "So, to the rest of you that weren't called, you students were the ones who had failing grades," 

 

       Again, some of them groaned and complained. My eyes widened when I realized something; Yixing wasn't called. 

  

   I slowly turned my head to glance at him, and I saw him leaning back on his chair, looking disappointed and a little angry. 

 

    "So, to the ones who weren't called, line up here at the side," Teacher Pyo said as he waved his arm at the right side of his table. "You will be the ones to choose who your tutor is, just write your name beside there's and I will announce it later on." 

 

    My heart almost stopped when Teacher Pyo had said that. Them? The students will be the one to choose? There are 26 of us in this class, and there are 11 students who had failed and the rest of the 15 students were assigned as tutors. 

 

    And I'm already guessing I'll be part of the four students who won't be assigned to have a tutee, and who won't have extra credit. 

 

   I sighed to myself and place my head on my hand as I continued to look out the window again. 

 

_________________

 

   {Third Person Point of View}

 

     Zhang Yixing walked over to the end of the line, with his friend, Minseok, right behind him. 

 

  He felt a little down and he was disappointed at himself. He had promised his parents he would do good in school and in return, they would let him pursue his dream in dancing. 

 

  But when he realized that he was one of the students who had a failing grade so far, his heart sank and his hopes did too. 

 

  He had to pick a good tutor, someone who was smart but not too boss and someone that wasn't smug or had a bad attitude.

 

   And he already thought about someone, he just hoped that no one had picked that person yet.

 

   "Who are you going to pick?" Minseok asked as he leaned over and whispered it in Yixing's ear. "I already have someone in mind,"

 

    "Who?"

 

    "Joonmyun, he's smart and he's good in English," he said a little proudly. "He has literary skills, you know," 

 

   "Whatever you say, Xiumin," Yixing mumbled and ruffled his hair as he stepped forward, the person in front of him going back to their seat. 

 

      Teacher Pyo handed him the ballpoint pen and he bent down and scanned the list. There were six names that had a blank beside it and it included Joonmyun, and luckily for Yixing, the person he chose wasn't picked yet. 

 

   He slowly wrote his name on the paper and he looked up at the person he picked when he was finished. 

 

   She was right there, at the end of the column, looking out at the window as always. 

 

   He smiled to himself as he walked back to his seat. He had choose a good tutor, and he hoped that she'll help him have high grades in English just like her. 

 

_____________________

 

    {Sunhee}

 

    I sat up straight when the teacher called for our attention. 

 

  I crossed my arms on my table and sighed to myself as Teacher Pyo began calling out the tutor's names and the student that had chose them. 

 

  I already knew that nobody had chosen me, so I wasn't really paying attention that much. The only thing I was thinking about was Yixing. 

 

  What if he picked a girl? Someone beautiful and smart, like Hyeri. She can be considered a queenka already, and the thought of her spending time with Yixing made me jealous. 

 

  ". . .  and lastly," Teacher Pyo said, raising his voice higher. "Sunhee and . . . Yixing," 

 

  My heart stopped, I in my breathe and I widened my eyes all at the same time as I looked over at Teacher Pyo and then at Kyungmin. 

 

   Her eyes were also wide, and she was grinning from ear to ear at me. "Lucky you," she mouthed. 

 

   "Alright, so, please go to your tutors and tutees now to discuss on when you'll start studying together and copy this assignment while you're at it," Teacher Pyo said before he turned his back to the class. 

 

    Some students, especially the girls, reluctantly got up from their seats and walked towards their respective tutors and tutees. Most of them shot me looks of envy as they saw Yixing walking my way. 

 

   This is really real. Zhang Yixing chose me to be his tutor. I don't care if he was actually forced to pick me (but with his smile, I don't think so), he chose me. Out of all the people left on the list, he chose me. 

 

   "Annyeong," he said as he stopped right in front of my desk. He placed his hands in his pockets and smiled down at me. "So, umm-" 

 

  "Why did you chose me?" I blurted out. I blinked and then shook my head immediately, making him chuckle. "Oh, mian, mian, I mean-umm, when-when . . . when do you want to start?" I stammered. Gosh, I can feel myself blushing. 

 

  Yixing smiled, his eyes turning small like crescent moons. "Is later okay, Sunhee?" 

 

   I smiled softly. His voice sounded calm and carefree, it reminded me of Jongdae's. "Later after school?" I asked. 

 

  "That sounds perfect," he said. "I'll meet you in the library," 

 

  I nodded. "Right, sure, okay." I said and he gave me a little wave before walking back to his own desk. 

 

  He chose me to teach him - he chose me, and right when I thought wishes don't come true and magic doesn't exist. 

 

   But, right now, I think what I believe in are changing.