Twenty Four - 24

Wishes Can Come True

     {Sunhee}

 

        It seemed to me like I was in heaven today. It felt like I was. 

 

     Even though I didn't even kiss him or hug him or even have any sort of skinship with Yixing; spending time with him was really enough for now. 

 

    Now that my dream of finally having to spend some time with him and get to know him better came true, I'm thinking of another thing to strive for. Maybe, his trust or his affection. 

 

   Every girl wants their crush to like them back, and that was what I wanted now. For him to like me, but how can I do that exactly? How can I make him like me? 

 

   Kyungmin said that I just have to be myself, because to her; it already seemed like Yixing thought good of me and if I just keep it up, she thinkls he might even 'fall' for me. 

 

  But, I'm guessing she's wrong. Because I can see the way he looks at me, and it's nowhere near romantic or in love. 

 

   After English, I went straight to History after I had exchanged goodbyes with Yixing and Kyungmin. 

 

   Eunjae was there, but she didn't even greet me with that signature glare of her's, she didn't even seem to mind me when I walked passed her desk to get to mine. 

 

   It was strange, but I felt thankful because she was too occupied with her thoughts to even embarrass me. 

 

    It continued on during class - her bored-like face, I mean. She was staring straight ahead and I could tell she wasn't listening, and she wasn't even aware of her surroundings that much. 

 

   What was she thinking about? I don't know, and I don't think I will ever know it. 

 

   Besides Eunjae's strange behavior, the day was fine and everything went on smoothly all until during P.E. 

 

   "Ugh. Gosh," Kyungmin sat down on the ground along with the other girls and she sighed. "That was tiring," 

 

   "You got that right," I said and joined her, sitting right beside her with crossed legs and a faint smile. "But, it was fun," 

 

    Kyungmin wasn't even listening because she was complaining about almost everything right now. The heat, the game, the class and how the other team won over us. 

 

    "Ugh~" she groaned and looked at me with narrowed eyes. "Do you have any water left?" 

 

   "Here," I passed her my half-empty water bottle and smiled encouragingly. P.E. was never Kyungmin's favorite class, and I don't think she'll like it in the future too. 

 

   "God, I'm so sweaty, it's so-"she paused and took a sip from my water bottle"-hot, those girls cheated! And ugh . . . I'm all sweaty and sticky!" 

 

   I rolled my eyes. "Do you want me to get you a towel, too? Huh?" I said bluntly as I began to stood up. I forgot my own face towel in the lockers too anyways. 

 

   "Ugh, yes, please!" she said and I rolled my eyes once more before walking away from her. 

 

   I shook my head and looked back at Kyungmin, and that distracted me. 

 

    "Oh, hey!" someone said loudly and I bet that someone was the one who bumped into me, making me stumble back and almost fall. 

 

    I groaned as I regained my balance. "Gosh, what the-" I stopped when I saw who had bumped into me. 

 

   "Ah, mian, Sunnie," Jongdae said as he rubbed the back of his neck. He raised his hand up, the one that was carrying the orange basketball. "I had my eyes on the ball, so I didn't notice you. Are you hurt?" 

 

    "Ani, I'm not," I assured him and mockingly glared at him. "But, that was a bit painful." 

 

   "Hey, you should of watched where you're going," he retorted back. 

 

   I slapped him by the shoulders as I walked by him and we stuck out our tongues at each other, making some of the boys he was playing with snicker. 

 

    Walking back to the locker room again, I shook my head and smiled to myself. "Oh, Kim Jongdae . . ." I mumbled to no one in particular. "You rascal," 

 

     While nearing the girl's locker room, I heard something faint and muffled. I didn't mind it at first, but when I creaked opened the door slightly, I could identify what it was now; somebody crying.

 

     "Huh?" I mumbled to myself as I slowly got inside and made my steps as quiet as possible. 

 

    I was sure now that that person, that girl, was crying and I was also sure she was mumbling some words, but I couldn't make them out - it sounded gibberish to me. 

 

    I peeked through the lockers and I instantly widened my eyes when I saw the one who was sobbing - it was Eunjae. 

 

    She was sitting on the benches and her shoulders were going up and down as she sobbed. Her arms were at her side, but then she moved them up to her face and shook her head. 

 

   "Awh," I said softly and frowned. What's wrong with her? Why is she crying? Of course, I didn't know the reason why, but I did know this; she needed comfort and she needed someone.

 

    Without really thinking about it, I stepped into her view and cleared my throat, immediately catching her attention. 

 

    She jumped on her spot and looked up at me. At first, she frowned and frantically wiped her puffy, red eyes when she saw me. I saw the sadness in them, in her and it made me frown even more. 

 

    "What's wrong, Eunjae? Wh-"

 

   "Why are you here? Why do you even care?" she said angrily and glared hard at me. 

 

   I took a step back and raised my palms up. "Hey, this isn't exactly a private place, Eunjae. I came here to get something, but then I heard you crying, why are you-" 

 

  "It's none of your business," she hissed. 

 

  I stayed quiet and stood still, rooted on my spot. I thought she would storm out and leave me here, but she didn't even make a move to get up. She would rub her eyes from time to time and sniff, but she didn't get up and leave - she just continued to stare down at her feet. 

 

   Silence took over and I couldn't bring myself to say anything and I knew Eunjae didn't want me to say anything either. But . . . 

 

      "If you're just going to stand there, then beat it, Sunhee." she said, hate and venom clearly in her tone.

 

      I furrowed my eyebrows in worry and stepped forward, Eunjae flinched when I stopped right in front of her. "Hey, I-I mean it! Get out of-" 

 

  "Here," I mustered up all my courage just to say that as I handed her my handkerchief. "You must want to wipe those tears properly off. Take it," I offered her. 

 

  And, to my surprise, she reluctantly accepted it. I smiled to myself and stepped back as I watched her wipe her cheeks and her eyes with my handkerchief. 

 

 "Will you tell me what's wrong, Eu-

 

  "Ani, I still won't." she said, her voice harsh as ever. 

 

  I sighed, but her reply didn't really hurt me in anyway, because I got the message; she wanted to be alone. "Alright, fine, I'll go," I said softly. 

 

  I exited the girl's locker room after I had already gotten my face towel and Kyungmin's. 

 

  Eunjae needed someone to talk to, so I was pretty guilty when I left - but I knew she still hated me, for whatever reason she had, and that she didn't want me around her right now, or maybe, forever. 

 

  But, still, I can't help but just feel sad for her and curious as to why she had been crying. 

 

  "Geez, what took you so long, Sun?" Kyungmin said grumpily as I handed her her pink face towel. "Class is almost over," 

 

    I shrugged and didn't reply to her as I wiped the sweat off the back of my neck. I stayed quiet, and Kyungmin didn't even bother to ask why, and I didn't even bother to tell her about Eunjae. 

 

   I just felt like I shouldn't tell her that, and I'm sure Eunjae will only hate me more if I do tell Kyungmin about it. 

 

  After P.E., Kyungmin and I went with the other girls to the locker rooms to change as the bell rang. And as I expected, Eunjae wasn't there anymore. 

 

  Then, after we changed and when we were walking away from our lockers already; Kyungmin noticed that she had left her Language book in one of her teacher's classroom. 

 

  "Ah, shoot, can you wait here, unnie? I promise I'll be fast," she said. 

 

  I nodded and smiled reassuringly. "Sure, of course. Hurry up!" I shouted after her as she literally ran away from me. 

 

   I sighed to myself and looked around the hallway; yup, it's only me here, I thought to myself. 

 

  I walked towards one of the large windows on the floor and I looked out at the school's courtyard. 

 

  Students playing and girls chitchatting by the corners were some of the things I saw down there. And, I even saw Jongdae, with Minseok and Tao playing basketball with some other three boys. 

 

  I watched them and I secretly wished to myself that Yixing was playing with them. 

 

  "Yah! Cha Sunhee!" a voice, an angry, familiar female voice said - it was obviously not Kyungmin. 

 

  I blinked and turned my attention to the rather vivid Lee Eunjae stomping towards me. I stepped back and gasped in surprise as she threw the handkerchief, my handkerchief, at me. 

 

  But it never reached me. It only made it half-way and dropped between the space dividing Eunjae and I. 

 

  "Eunjae, what-" I choked on my words and just stared at her with worried eyes.

 

   "I don't need or want your sympathy, Sunhee!" she said angrily as she sent daggers at me through her eyes.  

 

   "I-I-Eunjae, I was-was only trying to help!" 

 

   "Well, I don't need your help either! Just stop, Sunhee. Stop trying to befriend me again," she walked over to me in a fast pace and I widened my eyes as I stumble back. 

 

   She let our shoulders bump as she whispered; "We're never going to be friends again. Never,

 

   "Eunjae, I-" too late, she was walking away now. I could hear the sound of her shoes against the tiled floors as she walked away. 

 

   I exhaled a shaky breathe and walked over to my handkerchief and grabbed it. "Oh, Eunjae . . . " I sai and closed my eyes as I urged myself not to cry. 

 

   I succeeded. But, only after Kyungmin and I parted ways. When I got home, I recalled what Eunjae had said, and that was how, when and where that I cried.