Thirty Four - 34

Wishes Can Come True
chapter thirty-four;

{ S u n h e e }

This morning, I told Kyungmin everything. Well, except for the part yesterday where Yixing had kissed me on the forehead, because she'd freak out even more if I did tell her that. She was already threatening to faint when I told her about Jongdae's confession, and of what he told me. What more if I told her about Yixing kissing me? So, to be safe, I left that tiny detail to myself. 
 
After English, wherein I totally ignored Kyungmin's weird stares and looks, Yixing seemed to be doing the same to me. All throughout the period, whenever our eyes locked, he would immediately look away like our eyes were magnets of the same poles. 
 
I told him that we shouldn't spend more time together now, but that did mean we should actually ignore one another. 
 
But later on after first period English, we both walked out of the room at the same time and he let me know that he wasn't really ignoring me. That made me glad.  I still liked him and it'd always be him. 
 
As for Jongdae . . . it was a little difficult trying to talk to him. I couldn't pass a note; if I was caught I'd be two warnings away from getting expelled and I couldn't risk that. I tried catching his attention from time to time, but he seemed to be in his own little world.
 
He was always staring into space — at the walls or at the ground and not once had he made eye-contact with me. I was beginning to get worried. So, during lunch, the perfect time to do things that you've always wanted to do for the first half of the day, I was going to finally talk to Jongdae now. 
 
 
It wasn't hard finding him. I saw him at the rooftop as I got out of the other building  the same one he took me to. 
 
"Jo-Jongdae," I stammered.
 
I was nervous, unlike before when I was so hyped-up to find him, determined to have a word with him, it's as if all those strengths had been seized away from me and all I had was a breathless stutter of a mindless creature.
 
He didn't turn around or say anything. He just stood there, with his book faced to me and his hands shoved deep in his pockets. 
 
I sighed and wiped the sweat off my face. "Jongdae," I said more clearly now. "I-Can we ta-talk?" 
 
Still, no answer.
 
I bit my lower lip and breathed out a nervous breath. I took a step.
 
"Hey, I understand that you're pissed off at me or annoyed or-or just anything. But, please, can we settle this? Can-can we, uh, can we make things right again? Back to normal, if possible." 
 
He turned his head, letting me see only half of his face. I frowned and took another step. "Come on, Kim Jongdae, I just want to talk t-"
 
"You want to talk?" He said loudly, finally turning around to face me. He looked a little enraged, and I had to step back. "We have nothing to talk about. Why talk?" 
 
He passed by me, heading straight for the door. I gasped softly and immediately turned around. "Jongdae, wait! Will you just listen? Stop being so childish," I almost shouted. 
 
He stopped in his tracks, his shoulders going up and down. "I-"
 
"You're still the same Jongdae I know," I shook my head and crossed my arms. "Still the kid I know, and grown to love as a friend."

"That's all your ever see me, right?" he scoffed. "A friend,"

"I'm sorry, I truly am, but . . . you're right," I bit my bottom lip as I saw him stiffening. "You're just a friend. My best friend, to be exact. I like our friendship, what we have now-"

"Then what about the past few weeks?" he turned his head slowly my way, and even though I couldn't see his full expression, I knew he was sad. "Why did you always go with me? Agreeing to hang-"

"I'm going to be honest here with you," I sighed. "I did it because I wanted to restore our friendship."

"Well, I hung out with you so I could get more chances. But still," he snorted and shook his head. "That didn't work, did it?"

I smiled somewhat bittersweetly. "No, it didn't. I'm sorry."

Silence engulfed us both. For the next few minutes, all we could hear was the wind, our own heartbeats and students down below.

"Apology accepted," he said after a while, breaking the silence. He turned around, finally facing me properly, a small smile plastered on his face. One that reached his eyes, one that was sincere and true.

I stared at him, wide-eyed. “You-you-“

“Don’t be so surprised, Sunhee,” he shrugged. “I can never really stay mad at you. True, I’m annoyed and a little . . .well, a little heart-broken, but-" his eyes met mine and again, he smiled squarely at me. “You’re Sunhee, you’re my friend too. And, I-I kind of . . . um, understand.”

“Understand . . . what?”

“Why you like Lay of course,” he said, not meeting my eyes now. He looked away from me and turned to the right, facing the buildings instead of me. “He’s talented. He has a great personality. And he’s good looking. How can I be a match to him?”

“Oh, Jongdae,” I reacted quickly. I walked towards him, and furrowed my eyebrows. “What you said about Yixing is true. But, you’re also like that. You’re talented, you can sing like an angel. You have an amazing personality! Even if you annoy me, you still are kind and considerate. And as for the looks, well . . . I guess that’s the only part that’s missi-“

“Hey!” he said, laughing along with me. “I may not be as good looking as Lay, but admit it, I am good-“

“It’s not about the looks though,” I cut him off, wanting to let him know something important. “Yes, you are, Jongdae. You’re a kingka, you’re popular among girls. Girls like good-looking boys. But, you know what? I like boys who have a good heart,” I placed my palm over his heart, and smiled. “You have that, and Yixing has that.”

He took my hand off his chest carefully. “You like him better-“

“No, don’t you see now?” I looked at him, searching his eyes. He didn’t see it yet, he was confused. I sighed. “I talked to Yixing yesterday, we just . . .talked things out.” I wasn’t really lying, it was true. But about the kiss? I couldn't tell him that yet, maybe some time in the future. But for now, that’s only going to be between Yixing and I.

“And?” he asked eagerly.

“And . . . we settled things. It’s true what you said, he liked me too. But, he liked your friendship with him better.” His eyes grew wide and I nodded. “Technically, he turned me down because of your friendship with him. He doesn’t want to ruin it, and he doesn’t want to ruin our friendship.” I pointed to him and then at me. “You’re closer to him, that’s why he picked you. It’s okay though, it’s for the better. This way, we can all still remain friends. Even if it’s going to be a little awkward from now on.” I mumbled the last part.

Jongdae still heard it though, because he snorted. “No kidding . . . but hey,” he looked at me again, this time, behind his eyes were worry. “Did you cry or anything? Were you hurt? Because, if you were  . . . I-I can tell him to-“

“No,” I shook my head. “Didn’t I just say it’s for the better? Sure, I wanted to date Yixing, and yeah I still like him but I respect his choice. I actually am with it. I was hurt, but I’m healing now. I’m going to heal faster if you’re really going to forgive me.”

“I already have,” Jongdae said, smiling this time. “I was just really waiting for you to say sorry, I was planning on forgiving you sooner or later, and it turned out to be sooner.”

I smiled. “So, do you see now?” I asked, he shook his head, making me groan. “Idiot. I like you and Lay! You’re both equal now! You guys are not my crushes, but . . . well, it doesn’t really fall in the friends or even best friends stage . . . maybe-maybe somewhere in-in between-“

He chuckled, making me stop talking. “What are you blabbering about, Sunhee?” he just said, making me confused. “Come on, let’s just go.” He slung his arm around my shoulder, grinning down at me. “When we walk through that door, we’re going to start fresh, okay? We’re going to try and forget this even happened. My confession and whatnot. We’re going to start over, agree?”

I didn’t need to think twice. “I agree.”

So, when we walked out, heading back down all I could think was – Finally. 

 

{T h i r d  P e r s o n }


The days went by faster. It was already mid-December now and the snow began to fall down, the beautiful cherry blossom tree Sunhee had adored so much lost all it's flowers. 

But, it was okay because Sunhee got the chance to paint it. 

At the end of November, she finally joined a painting contest, one that Jongdae suggested her to join in. Sunhee submitted a painting of the Cherry Blossom tree in the school's courtyard - only it had a different background. 

She got 3rd place, and it was all thanks to Jongdae's encouragement. Without him, she doubted she would even enter. But, she did, and she won - she was proud at herself. 

Last week too, Sunhee had joined a photography contest. She only won 5th place, but still, Jongdae said he was proud of her and she was finally participating and showing her talents to the world. 

"It's only a matter of time before other schools see your talent, Sunhee," he had said one December day. 

She joked about it, but after thinking and asking him, he was serious. He showered him with compliments after, saying how good of an artist she really was and how her shyness and stubbornness only got in her way. 

Sunhee laughed as she thought about it again. "What are you laughing at? What's so funny?" Yixing asked her.

"What? Oh, nothing really," Sunhee just said. She crossed her arms over the table and nodded at his book. "You should finish that now so you won't forget to do it later on." 

Yixing still continued on being tutored by Sunhee, he still needed help in English because he was forgetful after all. He needed Sunhee to remind him constantly of what to do. 

"Alright," he sighed and began answering the rest of the questions. 

Sunhee looked back at the big, round windows of their school's library. It was getting dark now, would Yixing walk her home again? 

She glanced at him. This was their first time in a long time being alone together again. Ever since that day, under the Cherry Blossom tree, in which he kissed her on the forehead. 

Sunhee sighed, and Yixing heard it. "What's wrong?" he asked, not looking up at her but continuing to do his homework. Like Sunhee, he wanted to go home as fast as possible. 

"Hm? Nothing." 

"Don't lie to me again, Sunhee-ah," he said when he glanced up at her. 

Sunhee frowned. "It really is nothing." 

"Define 'nothing' then." 

She sighed and rolled her eyes, kicking him under the table. Yixing let out an 'ow!'. "It's something, that isn't necessary to talk about," she said simply. 

Yixing looked at her for five hard, long seconds. He only shook his head after, going back to his homework. "Fine. Just remember," he took his time in continuing his sentence, it made Sunhee even more curious to what he was going to say. 

After what seemed like a minute of silence, he placed his pencil down and looked up at her. A smile graced his lips. "I'm always here for you." 

Sunhee cracked a smile before laughing softly. "I know you are." 

The two of them packed their things without a word. It was only when they exited the library that Yixing offered her to walk her home. Sunhee didn't say no, she agreed. 

Together, side by side, they headed for her house. Sunhee couldn't help but just smile the whole way, Yixing's friendly aura and his presence  alone made her grin. 

Yixing felt the same, and he too couldn't suppress back his smile whenever he saw hers. 
 


Am I making you guys confused? Haha. :p Sorry. Also, sorry for the rather short update. Busy, buy, busy. >,<