Twenty Nine - 29

Wishes Can Come True

       {Sunhee}

 

       I couldn't bring myself to close my eyes and drift off to sleep that night. As I lie there, very much awake and still not sleepy when it was 11 o'clock already .  .  . my mind just wouldn't stop thinking about Yixing. 

 

    I wouldn't stop thinking about him. Today was definitely one of the absolute best days of my life. 

 

   Spending the afternoon together with Yixing made me contented now, and I couldn't ask for more. 

 

   Even though it wasn't technically a date (at least I don't think so), I still felt like it was and the butterflies I felt in my stomach when he walked me home again were just . . . 

 

   Like a complete goofball, I grinned at myself and turned to face the blank beige wall of my room. 

 

   Zhang Yixing . . .  hm. . . . I wished for you . . . and I can't believe it actually came true. 

 

   "Maybe your right, Kim Jongdae," I mumbled, this time, thinking about Chen Chen's words. "Wishes can come true after all, hm?" 

 

  I yawned as I turned over again. My eyes finally felt heavy and my body relaxed after I had yawned. 

 

  Sighing to myself, I gave in. I didn't realize how tired I was until I actually drifted off to sleep a little while later after I closed my eyes. 

 

  And for the first time in weeks, I dreamt about Yixing but, too bad the dream lasted longer than I wished. 

___________________

   {Sunhee}

 

     Waking up late with a sore neck, finding my shoes dirty and filthy, choking myself as I drank milk and being late to class for the first time - I knew today wasn't going to be the best or at least a regular school day for me. 

 

   Usually, when I have bad luck early in the morning - it means I should prepare for more during the course of the day. But, what kind of bad luck, I dare ask? 

 

  I hope it has nothing to do about my friendship with the boys, especially with Jongdae. I don't want anything sabotaging our friendship right now. 

 

 Like always during lunch time, I'm eating outside with Kyungmin. 

 

 Silence, a blanket of it, covered us as we ate. Of course, being best friends, it was the comfortable kind. We couldn't talk anyways since our mouths were full, but when Kyungmin swallowed her's - she waved her hand in front of me, her excited face on. 

 

  "Oh! Oh! Oh! Unnie, did you hear?" she asked me, her tone matching her face. I shook my head making her go on. "Eunjae's parents are finally divorced!" 

 

  I literally dropped my chopsticks as my jaw hung open. "Mwo-" I choked on my own words as if they were not properly chewed food. I couldn't react properly, I couldn't say anything. 

 

   "Yeah!" she nodded vigorously as her eyes widened. "I heard about it yesterday. Apparently, her parent's relationship has been in an all-time low since five months ago, and now, they've finally divorced-" 

 

   "But-but-but . . . wh-why?" I manage to stammer. 

 

  Kyungmin shrugged and placed her chopsticks down. "I heard it was because Eunjae's mom had another man, a secret affair and because she wasn't doing her job well in Mr. Lee's company. I'm not so sure-" 

 

  "Is-is Eunjae ab-absent?" I asked. I didn't if she was here or if she wasn't, because we didn't have History during Wednesdays. 

 

  Kyungmin nodded slowly. "Yeah, I think so. I haven't seen her all day."

 

  I frowned and closed my lunch box with my half-eaten lunch. "This is . . oh no," I mumbled as negative thoughts flooded my mind. Most of them carried worry and concern, I tell you. 

 

  "Un-unnie?" Kyungmin bent her head down to look at me more clearly. "What's wrong? What's with the fr-"

 

   I sighed and shook my head. "Nothing's wrong with me, Kyungmin. It's-it's . . . It's Eunjae I'm worried about." I admitted. "Her parents . . . " 

 

  "Huh?Why should you be?" Kyungmin scoffed and rolled her eyes. "She deserves it for being so mean to you all these years. The way I see it, unnie, it's like a punishment from God. Don't worry about her," 

 

  "Ani," I shook my head, still looking at the ground and still thinking about Eunjae. "You don't understand, Kyungmin. Eunjae may hate me and she may seem cold; but she's a girl." I said softly. "All girls get hurt and cry. And even she has things to cry about," 

 

  Kyungmin was silent for a while, I could feel her eyes staring at my head, but I did not look up at her. "And . . . and what does she cry about, unnie?"

 

  I sighed. " . . . that is kept between me and her only, Minnie." 

 

___________________

  {Third Person Point of View}

 

   It was during the old days, where Lee Eunjae and Cha Sunhee were still best of friends, when they were still inseparable. Or, so they thought. 

 

  Never did the two thought they're friendship would come to an end, especially with the secrets that they shared with each other and all the things they did together. 

 

  And, on one particular cloudy afternoon, the two girls shared more secrets to each other. 

 

  They were at the park near their old middle school, sitting by the swings as they faced each other. 

 

   At one point, Sunhee laughed at what Eunjae had said. "Ah, jinjja, Eun? She did that?" she asked, a hint of disbelief in her voice.

 

  “Ne,” the other girl said as she smiled while nodding her head vigorously. “And that’s not all . . .” Sunhee laughed again when her friend had told her the funniest part of the story.

 

   “Wow,” was all Sunhee could say after she had finished laughing.

 

    The swing creaked and the children laughed behind them as silence took over. But, it was of course the comfortable kind. With Sunhee and Eunjae, ‘awkward’ did not exist between the two of them.

 

    “So, Sunhee, today in class. . . “ Eunjae started, looking at the other girl with a twinkle in her eye.

 

    “Mm?” Sunhee mumbled and looked at her friend. “Yeah, why? What happened?”

 

   “Well, today . . . we-umm, Teacher Cho let us write a whole paragraph about our fears and how we can come over them . . . “

 

    Sunhee was intrigued now, so she faced her friend with a slight frown on her face. “Oh? Jinjja? What-what did you write?” 

 

   Eunjae shrugged. "Oh, you know . . . spiders, insects in general . . . death and . . . " she paused for a moment to look down on the ground. 

 

   Curiously, Sunhee raised an eyebrow and looked at her friend expectantly. "Wae? What's-"

 

      "And my parents separating . . ." Eunjae said softly, her tone was so soft it was almost like a whisper but Sunhee had heard her. 

 

   Sunhee could of laughed right then if Eunjae didn't look so down and sad. "But, Eunjae . . . I doubt that'll happen. Your parents love each other, and they love you -"

 

   “That’s just it, Sunhee,” she sighed. “It’s because they love me, I don’t want them to separate. I don’t want them to be divorced in the future.”

 

     Sunhee smiled faintly as she reached out for her friend’s hand.  She placed her hand on top of Eunjae’s, still smiling when the other girl looked up. “I can’t promise you anything about that but . . . I promise you I’ll always be there for you whenever you’re feeling down, Eunjae.”

 

    “You . . . you promise?”

 

    Sunhee nodded and grinned this time. “Yup! I promise! Cross my heart,”

 

    Eunjae’s frown turned upside down and she squeezed Sunhee’s hand. “You’re the best, Cha,”

 

    “Gumuwo, Lee,” Sunhee said, laughing a little.

__________________

 

     {Sunhee}

 

     Right after my last class for the day finished, I headed to my locker to keep my books.

 

   I had already told Kyungmin about what I was going to do for the afternoon, and she didn’t really like it but I forced her to agree with it.

 

    If she hurts you, call me, she had said.

 

   Thinking about it, I frowned to myself as I closed my locker door. “She won’t hurt me,” I mumbled to myself.

 

    “Who won’t?” a voice from nowhere said, making me jump. “Whoa!”

 

    I clutched on my heart and glared at the person, my glare softening a little when I saw that it was only Jongdae. “Jeez, Kim Jongdae! Can you not do that?!” I said a little too hotly as I walked past him.

 

    “Hey, whoa, Sunnie,” he grabbed my wrist, stopping me from walking any further. “What’s the matter? Why are you so snappy?”

 

    Sighing, I wriggled my hand out of his grasp. “Mian,” I mumbled when I faced him. “It’s just that . . . I have something important to do and I really need to go.” I said as I continued to walk again, I looked back at his confused face and smiled apologetically. “Bye bye, Jongdae!”

 

    “Hey! Wait a minute, Sunhee!”

 

    He caught up to me, but I still didn’t stop walking. “Where are you going?” he asked.

 

    “Somewhere,”

 

    “Where exactly?”

 

    “Just somewhere,”

 

    “I’m going out-“

 

    “Oh, that’s good, you can go now,” I said, trotting down the front steps, heading toward the main gates of the school.

 

     He laughed and shook his head, from the corner of my eyes – I could see him smiling brightly at me. “Come with me?”

 

     I sighed and finally stopped walking, he seemed a little relieved. “Didn’t you hear me? I said I’m going to do something important,” I said, a little annoyed by him now. Still annoying as ever I see.

 

   Jongdae rolled his eyes. “Some time with me and Xiumin hyung won’t hurt anyone, right?”

 

    Actually, maybe it will. I sighed again and looked pointedly at him, arching one of my eyebrows up. “Look, I’m going to go somewhere without anyone, arasso? I can hang out with you guys some other time, for now . . . I really have something to do,”

 

    I waited for his reply, and all I got was a big frown and a sad stare for the next thirty seconds. Eventually, he too sighed and broke eye contact with me. “Alright, fine.” He said, sounding a little bitter.

 

    I grabbed his hand, making him look at me. I gave him a small squeeze and smiled faintly. “I promise I’ll hang out with you soon.”

 

    “Promise?”

 

    I nodded and let go of his hand. “Promise. Now, I gotta go, see you later,” I said as I began walking again, waving ‘bye’ at him this time.

 

    “Be careful, Sunnie!” he called back, still rooted to his spot.

 

    I nodded before turning my head to look ahead. “I will,” I mumbled to myself.

 

    Riding the bus to the other side of the city was hard, when I arrived at the small subdivision – the sun was already beginning to set and the car’s headlights were .

 

     After getting past the guards and the gates, I jogged towards my destination.

 

    Everything was so surreal to me. Everything was familiar, except I felt like it wasn’t. The pavement, the streets, the houses and the old streetlamps – it was like I was walking down memory lane.

 

    I stopped at one house, it stood out because of its bright yellow color. I opened the gates, already knowing there won’t be any dogs.

 

    It looks just like the last time I came here . . .

 

   The flowers, the old swing set, the rock path leading to the front porch – everything was still the same. It was like it hadn’t been touched since I last came here.

 

   Slowly walking up the steps, I rang the doorbell and stepped back, anxiously waiting for someone to answer.

 

    I didn’t have to wait long because when it opened, an elder woman of about 60 opened the door and greeted me with a small smile. “Ye-Oh my! What a surprise!” the ahjumma said.

 

   I blinked and realized something. “Grandma Lee?” I asked, making sure of her identity.

 

    “Sunhee? Is that you? My, my, you’ve grown!”

 

    I smiled and nodded.  I can’t believe she still remembered me; at least her memory isn’t that foggy unlike my grandmother. “Grandma Lee, is Eunjae around?”

 

    The smile was wiped off clean on Grandmother Lee’s face. “I’m-I’m afraid not, Sunhee. She-she-she ran away . . .”

 

    “Ran-ran away?!” I exclaimed, putting a foot back. “To where?”

 

    “I do not know, child,” she answered gloomily.

 

    I frowned and furrowed my eyebrows as I began to think. “Well, thank you anyways, Granny. It was nice-“Sunhee’s eyes lit up when she thought of something. “It was nice seeing you, Grandmother! I’m going to go now!” she said quickly. After bowing down, she hurried off to the gate again.

 

    “Where-where are you going, Sunhee?”

 

   “I’m going to find Eunjae!” she said back. “I think I know where she is!”

 

____________________________

{A/N: This chapter is not unnecessary, okay? Just wait and see in the next update! }

Meanwhile, here is a poll for you guys to answer!