Nineteen - 19

Wishes Can Come True

       {Sunhee}

 

       That afternoon, everything was just like a blur and before I knew it; I was already home and was ready to plop on to my bed and rest. 

 

     "Unnie," Sujin said as she spotted me while I passed by the living room. I stopped on my tracks and looked at my dongsaeng, eyebrows raised. "Eomma bought Oreo O's for you, there in the fridge, and she even made Western-styled pancakes for your snack," 

 

    I smiled and nodded. "You can have the pancakes if you want, Sujin, I'm not very hungry." 

 

   Sujin smiled and nodded vigorously. "Gamsahabnida, unnie!" 

 

  Smiling once more, I jogged up the stairs; heading for my bedroom. Once there, I closed the door shut and placed my bag on my study desk before I plopped down onto my bed. 

 

  I sighed and fished out my phone from the pocket of my skirt. I did not hesitate or even second guess about calling Kyungmin and telling her about what happened today. 

 

  She was my best friend, so of course I had to tell her. 

 

 But when I called her three times already, she didn't pick up. 

 

  "That's weird," I said to myself and decided to text her instead. I typed in everything that I had happened, but I mostly told her about my lunch with Jongdae and how comfortable I felt with him. 

 

   After I had sent it, I waited for her to reply and text back. 

 

  But, one minute passed then five . . . and then it become ten . . . then, more than thirty minutes had passed already and she still didn't reply back or had called me. 

 

  Thinking she might be sleeping or resting, I placed my phone on the bedside table and sighed to myself. 

 

  "I'll call you later, Kyungmin," I said to nobody to my phone. I stood up from my bed and headed downstairs. 

 

   A little snack before study time was always refreshing and nice. 

 

  But when I reached the kitchen, I saw on the counter that the supposed Oreo O's that were for me, were empty. The box was open and it had nothing inside. 

 

  "Ah! Sujin! I told you!" I shout and stomped my foot against the ground - hard. "Only the pancakes!" 

 

______________________

 

   {Sunhee}

 

  It was finally Thursday, the day we were to submit our partner assingment in Korean History and the usual pop quiz in Biology later on. 

 

  Thinking about History class later on, I couldn't help but frown. 

 

  What would happen after we had passed our homework? What would happen to me and Jongdae? Will we be back to just strangers and just go on with our life? Or can we still remain friends and maybe even be best friends again . . . 

 

  All these rather negative thoughts were running through my mind as Teacher Pyo  was discussing in front. 

 

   Of course, there were possible outcomes of what would happen next like . . . 

 

  He and I can still be friends and can still hang out. We cna still eat outside, if he wanted . . . and well . . . . 

 

  That's all of the possible thoughts I could think of right now. 

 

  I sighed and almost laughed at myself. I'm getting worked up and I'm over-thinking things just because of a single boy. 

 

  But, then again, Kim Jongdae isn't just another random boy in my life. Once upon a time, he used to be my world. In a childish, friendly, puppy love kind of sense of course. 

 

  I made what people called the 'duck face' and I breathed out heavily. I glanced once at Teacher Pyo before looking back at Kyungmin's empty seat. 

 

  She still had fever and apparently, she wasn't allowed to use her phone until she got better. Her eomma had call me yesterday and informed me. 

 

  Moving on from Kyungmin's empty seat, I took a sneaky glance at Yixing. 

 

   As usual, he was paying attnetion to the teacher's words. I smiled to myself before looking back at the blackboard again. 

 

 There was nothing on it. The blackboard was clean and newly erased. 

 

  I frowned. I wish my mind was clean and spotless like the blackboard. But, instead, there were all these thoughts running back and forth inside. 

 

  And all of them seemed to be centering around Jongdae and what will happen later on. 

 

   Sighing, I stood up as the bell rang; signaling the end of first period. I passed by Teacher Pyo and only gave him a head bow this time as I went out of the classroom. 

 

    Adjusting my bag behind me, I shook my head. Hopefully shaking the thoughts of my mind as well. 

 

    As I walk up the stairs, along with three other students, my heart is beating faster and faster with each step I took. 

 

    Going to History class seemed to be more nerve-wrecking today. 

 

   I stopped just by the door and take a peek inside. The students are quiet and they are all in their seats, but there are still a few empty seats left. And unfortunately, Eunjae is present while Jongdae isn't. Oh, great, He can't be absent! He has our paper! 

 

  Gulping, I walked forward and into their view and bowed at Teacher Min before walking to my seat with my head down. 

 

  When the bell rang again - meaning the five minutes of extra time was over, Teacher Min stood up from her desk and addressed the class after she had counted the lates and/or the absents. 

 

   5 in all. 

 

   She cleared to get the class' attention. "Alright, well, I hope you have your homework, because I am not giving you extra time to finish-Oh, annyeonghaseyo, Jongdae-sshi," 

 

   I turned my head to the door and saw Jongdae there, panting heavily as he bent down and held his knees. When Teacher Min said his name, he stood up straight and nodded. 

 

   "Mian haeyo, seonsaengnim," he said and walked towards her, handing her tardy slip. 

 

     I sighed in relief. Thank goodness, he's not absent, I won't fail.

 

    All eyes were on Jongdae as he walked back to his seat. But it seemed like he didn't mind it all. Either that, or he just didn't notice it. 

 

    When he walked past me, I didn't look up at him. I only looked back at him when he was seated. I had a questioning look on my face as I raised an eyebrow up and mouthed; "The paper?" 

 

   He smiled and nodded as he pointed at his bag. "Right here," he mouthed back. 

 

  Satisfied, I sighed in relief again and faced front and listened to Teacher Min's instructions. 

 

___________________

 

    {Sunhee}

 

       When Chen and I received our paper after he had presented it to Teacher Min; smiles immediately broke out on our faces as we saw the score we received. 

 

       49/50. The only mistake was the grammar, but other than that; it was perfect. For me, our research work was perfect.

 

   Since we were done with ours, we got to leave the classroom early. When we stepped out, I immediately turned around to Jongdae and raised my palm up. 

 

   He smiled and we high-fived. 

 

   "You're part is so good!" I said as we walked together to our next class. I kept the binder in my bag and grinned happily at him. 

 

  "It had that grammar correction, though," 

 

  "Still!" I laughed and pushed him playfully to the side. "We're the pair who got the highest score so far," 

 

   "And you're assuming that I'm the reason why?" he asked me teasingly. 

 

  "Well, yeah, I mean, it was so poetic and the facts were true and you even made them rhymed!" I giggled as we reached the first landing, both of us heading to the third floor. 

 

    "I had help though," he admitted, biting his lower lip. "And you mostly wrote it anyways," 

 

    "Still, you-" 

 

   "Look, can we just say it was teamwork, arasso?" he said and stopped in his tracks, making me stop too. He then pointed at the classroom to our right and smiled. "My class is here, I'll see you later, Sunhee," 

 

   I beamed and nodded. "Alright, see you," I said as I continued to walk to my own classroom, which was at the very end of the hall. 

 

 With one last smile, I turned my head the other way to watch where I'm walking, wouldn't want to embarrass myself now. 

 

   . . . I'll see you later, Sunhee, he had said. I smiled more when I entered the classroom, thinking of how things will work out between me and him in the future. 

 

 

___________________

 
     {Sunhee}
 
       Lunch time came and like yesterday, Kyungmin is absent and Jongdae is eating with me outside again, under the same bench I eat with Kyungmin every single school day. 
 
    
   We were busy stuffing our mouths with our shared food to even talk. But I liked the silence, and I'm sensing he does too. 
 
 
  Jongdae cleared his throat, grabbing my attention. I looked up at him. "So, uh . .  did you do it?" 
 
 
  "Hm? Do what?" 
 
 
  He rolled his eyes but broke into a grin. "You know, sumbit your painting for that art gallery you told me," he explained. 
 
 
  I stopped chewing and gulped the food. I bit my lower lip as I shook my head, not looking into his eyes. "Aniyo, I didn't yet. And I don't think I even will," I admitted. 
 
 
   "Mwoya?" he said, looking incredulously at me. "Waeyo?" 
 
 
  I laughed lighlty before looking up at the cherry blosoom tree. as I shrugged. "I'm not even sure if it will be in the art gallery," 
 
 
  "You can always try, Sunhee," he said, his voice soft and light that it was almost like a whisper. 
 
 
  I looked at him, straight in the eyes. And when I did, I know he was telling me something. I smiled and nodded as I got the message. "I'll try," I said to him, smiling a little.