Twenty-Three - 23

Wishes Can Come True

       {Sunhee}

 

         Today, it seemed that luck was on my side and the odds seemed to be in my favor.

 

      First, it was Yixing choosing me as his tutor. I can't still get over it, and I don't think I ever will.

 

     Second, as much as I still love the old Eunjae, I'm very happy that she was still absent. She's been absent ever since Monday, and I haven't seen her or heard from her.

 

     Third, Jongdae and I got partnered today again and we got a lot of time together.  This time, it was for a book activity that needed two people. Teacher Min decided that our first partners from our recent research paper, would be our partners until the third quarter, which is still next April.

 

      I was so happy today and I felt like nothing and nobody could make my day gloomy. And I was right, nobody and nothing dared to.

 

    For the rest of the day, I was all smiles. And for the first time since school started, I ate at the cafeteria during lunch. 

 

   Sure, it was a little noisy for my liking and it was also a bit chaotic, but at least I got to eat there for just once before I graduate. 

 

   My classes went by smoothly and everything was A-okay from that point on. Nothing really exciting happened, but I had something to look forward to after class. 

 

   It was some time with Yixing. 

 

  Alright, even though it isn't some serious alone time, at least I get to spend time with him, right? That's better than nothing anyways. 

 

   ". . . Yah! Cha Sunhee!" 

 

  I jumped and my right hand instinctively clutched my chest as I slowly turn my head to face a rather angry Kang Kyungmin. 

 

     "Are you even listening?" she said, raising a questioning eyebrow. "Ani, wait, you're not. Pfft," she snorted and shook her head. 

 

    "Mian, mian, mian," I said, apologizing not-so-sincerely. "I just have all these thoughts right now, Kyung," 

 

   "Oh?" Kyungmin's features softened, and eventually, a smile appeared on her face. A playful one. "Oh, yeah, right." she said and winked at me as she closed her locker door. 

 

   I didn't mind her change in tone as we walked together. She had another club meeting of her's in the second floor of the building, which was good because the library was also at the second floor. 

 

  "I almost forgot," Kyungmin said as she playfully shoved me when we started going up the stairs. "You had that study date with-" 

 

  I laughed and shook my head, making her stop and just smile at me. "It's not a study date, Kyungmin and you know it." 

 

  "You can make it one though," she said mischievously. 

 

  I rolled my eyes at her. "Yah, shut up. Stop making this whole tutor thing malicious," 

 

 "Mian haeyo, I can't!" she giggled. "It's just so . . . I can't even describe it, unnie​! I don't know if it's fate or destiny. . . well maybe it is. I'm not sure what you're feeling right now, but you must be very happy," 

 

  "'Happy' is an understatement right now, Kyungmin," I admitted and smirked as I narrowed my eyes at her. "Hey, I thought you didn't like me having a crush on Yixing anymore. Why the sudden change of heart, hm?" 

 

    "Nado molla," she said and shrugged. "I guess . . . Maybe because . . . eh, I don't really know. I just had a quick change of heart," 

 

   I left it at that and decided not to talk anymore. Kyungmin didn't mind and the two of us stopped when we reached the library, her club meeting was held in the classroom at the end of the hall. 

 

   "Here you are," she said playfully as I stopped in front of the open library doors. "I'll see you . . . tomorrow," she smirked and waved 'goodbye'. 

 

   I just rolled my eyes at her and walked in the library, adjusting my backpack behind me. 

 

  I walked through the library tables, searching for that familiar face and it didn't take long for me to spot him. 

 

 My heart was beating against my ribcage and I could hear it in my hand. I was so nervous all of a sudden when I saw him there, sitting alone on one of the long tables with his head bent down. 

 

  I took another two steps forward before he had noticed me. 

 

  He looked up and I in my breathe as our eyes locked just when he said: "Sunhee, hi," he smiled, showing his dimples and making me swoon inside my head. 

 

 "Um, hey," I managed not to stammer and trip over my own feet as I walked over  and sat across from him. 

 

 Yixing was still smiling at me and I kind of hoped he would stop so that I won't get all flustered. 

 

  "Um," I cleared my throat and brushed my hair over my ear. "Hi, uh-so, um-"

 

  "Where do we start?" 

 

  I cleared my throat again and brought out my English textbook. "Well, since we-uh-we started with conjuctions and different parts of-of a sentence, I thought . . we could, you know, start there," I said as I flipped through the pages and just looked down on my book, not making eye-contact. 

 

  "Uh, Sunhee?" 

 

  I still didn't look at him. "Ne?" 

 

  "Could you repeat that again?" 

 

  I looked up at him, surprised. And when I saw his confused face, I realized something; a fact that I forgot. 

 

  "Oh, right, you're Chinese," I said and then sighed. "Mian hae,

 

  "It's okay," he assured me. 

 

  For the rest of the afternoon, Yixing and I were just there in the library. He was a good listener and he learned fast, but sometimes, he forgets and I had to repeat the topic at least twice for him to remember. 

 

  Surprisingly, I didn't stammer or blush that much when I talked to him more and more. I got comfortable, but I still felt a little nervous. Just a little now. 

 

  ". . . And I'm . . . done," Yixing said and leaned back as he passed me his notebook. "Here," 

 

   "You forgot to put periods, Yixing," I laughed and passed it back to him. "How can you forget to put periods?" I asked in disbelief. 

 

   "Ugh," he groaned and grabbed his pencil again. "I told you, Sunhee, i'm forgetful," 

 

   After he had finished the activity that I had given him, we packed up our things and got out of the library together. Not hand in hand the way I always dreamed, but walking side by side with him was enough for now. 

 

   The sun was already setting when we exited the school's grounds. It was getting darker and colder by the minute. 

 

  "Where do you live, Sunhee?" Yixing asked out of the blue when we stopped just a few feet away from the school gates. 

 

  "Buam-dong area. It's not far from here," I told him and looked at the right side. "I can go home by myself," 

 

    "It's getting dark you know, it's dangerous at night," he said, obviously worried and concerned. "I can walk you home," he suggested. 

 

    "You-I-" I was a little taken aback by what he said. I was screaming insde my head and jumping in joy, but outsid, I looked at him with wide eyes and I froze on my spot.

 

    He smiled, making his dimple show again. "I said; I'll walk you home. Besides, there's a bus stop near Buam-dong, right?"

 

   "Um, ye-yeah . . Alright," I mumbled. I couldn't really say 'no', why would I? I'm grasping every chance I could get with him and I'm not planning on missing just even one. Especially not this.

 

    "Why do you always stutter?" he asked as he raised an eyebrow when he turned to me as we began walking now.

 

    I blushed in embarrassment and looked away from him. "I can't help it and it happens when I'm-I'm . . . when I'm nervous,"

 

    "You're nervous right now? Why?"

 

    I bit my lower lip and glanced once at him. He was looking at me and that was enough to make me more flustered and nervous. "Because . . . It's just-I'm-"

 

   "Are you uncomfortable with me, Sunhee?"

 

   I wanted to say 'No!Of course not!', or more like scream it. But, it was a lie and I didn't want to lie to him. Even if it's just a small, white lie. "I-um . . . a little," I admitted, lowering my voice to a whisper.

 

   Yixing actually chuckled, as if he was amused. "Jinjja-yo? Wae?"

 

   "I-" I laughed nervously and just shook my head. "No particular reason . . . I'm just not that comfortable around other people . . . be-besides my close friends,"

 

   "Oh, I see. So, you're not uncomfortable around Chen then?"

 

   I shook my head. "Aniyo, it's the opposite actually," I admitted.

 

   He stayed quiet and we walked in not-so-comfortable silence. I would glance athim from time to time, and he seemed to oblivious to it.

 

    Suddenly, his arm stretched out and blocked my way, making me stop in my tracks and lookcuriously at him. "Ah, wait, I almost forgot," he said and looked back at me. "The girl should be in the inside of the sidewalk,"

 

    He suddenly then stepped back and I just looked at him, eyebrows raised and frowning in a curious kind of way. "Mwo-" 

 

   "Yah," he chuckled and stepped back, pushing me slighlty toward him, but only for us to exchange places. "There," he said, smiling as he continued to walk. 

 

   "I-huh?" I walked to catch up to him and he was just smiling to himself, his cute dimple on his right cheek showing again. I didn't bother to ask him about it, on why he suddenly decided that I should walk in the inside of the sidewalk. 

 

   I already knew why. It was one of those gentleman-like things boys would do and I am clearly happy that he did that to me. 

 

   We crossed the pedestrian lane and the silence between us continued. I didn't really mind though, and I don't think he does either. 

 

   I stopped in my tracks when I was right in front of my house. "Yixing," I called out, he stopped too and looked back at me, then looked at the old building. 

 

  "Your place?" he asked and turned around to face me. 

 

 "Ne. The bus stop is right around the corner," I said, and he nodded.

 

  "Alright, I'll see you around," he said and lifted his palm up as he started

 

   I hesitantly waved at him. "Ann-annyeong," I smiled before walking up the steps, hoping that I won't trip this time and embarrass myself like what happened with Jongdae the last time. 

 

  "Oh, yeah!" Yixing shouted, I looked back at him just as I was about to open the door. He spun around to face me, a big smile on his face. "I almost forgot; it was nice being with you, Sunhee!" he said before turning around again and continued walking. 

 

  He left me there outside, in the cold, grinning broadly to myself at what he had just said. 

 

  Even though the sun was really setting, and the night was ready to take over, I ask myself; can this day get any more better?