Twenty-One - 21

Wishes Can Come True

       {Sunhee}

 

        The weekend was okay, everything was good and alright. My birthday was on Sunday, and we went to this sauna that I really wanted to try. A few of my cousins and aunts came by and joined us. 

 

      Kyugnmin stopped by in the afternoon for the official celebration, and some of my other close friends in the neighborhood. 

 

     But, during Saturday - it was Jongdae's birthday and I kind of expected him to invite me. He didn't though and I was a little, just a little, hurt by that. 

 

     I had his number, when we were at the Han River, he had gave it to me and I could still remember his words: "Call me if you're in trouble, I won't hesitate to come and save you," I also remembered that I slapped him and scolded him for that. 

 

    I texted him 'Happy Birthday', only that and no special message. I guess I was too afraid. Heck, I was even more afraid and nervous to send him that text. But, in the end, I did it anyways and he didn't reply back. 

 

     So, yeah, the weekend was just fine. After my birthday celebration, by Monday, my family went on with their day as if yesterday didn't happen. 

 

      Another thing that went by smoothly was school. I didn't see Eunjae during the assembly, and sadly, I didn't see Jongdae too. 

 

      I saw the other five kingkas as we exited the auditorium, but still, no sign of Kim Jongade. 

 

     English was also fine. It included me sneakily glancing at Yixing (of course), me answering almost all the questions Teacher Pyo asked us and me just staring out the window as he discussed. 

 

    History was my next subject, and I always was nervous when I got in Teacher Min's classroom. But, today, Eunjae was absent. Her seat was empty for the rest of the class. 

 

   Jongdae's wasn't though. When he saw me - he smiled almost immediately and I couldn't help but just smile back at him. 

 

   The bell had already rung and as I walked to my next class, which was Mathematics, I glanced behind me. I was hoping Jongdae would want to talk to me for a while, the way he smiled at me so sincerely made me believe he was happy to see me. 

 

    But, he never did run after me or even said 'hi', he just smiled and then after class . . . nothing more happened. 

 

   Math also went by smoothly and before I know it, fifty minutes went by the window and it was lunch time again. 

 

  "Yah, unnie," Kyungmin held my wrist, making me stop in my tracks. "Can we eat at the canteen today? Jebal? Eunjae is absent, right? Come on, just this once." 

 

   I knitted my eyebrows togehter and reluctantly pulled myhand away from her grip. "You can go, I'm used to eating out," 

 

   "But, Sunhee," she frowned and looked at me with sad eyes. 

 

    "It's okay, Minnie, you can eat in," I said as I took two steps away from her. She didn't move from her spot though, she continued on looking at me sadly. 

 

     "Are you sure?" she asked right before I could turn my back on her. "Is it really okay with you?" 

 

      I nodded and put on a smile. "Ne, I'm sure." 

 

      "There's parfait, you know," she said, frowning more. "Are you really sure you don't-"

 

      I laughed and shook my head. "Ani, you can go. Parfait is your favorite right? It's okay, Kyungmin,"

 

      Before she could reply, I turned back and walked away, smiling to mysel. 

 

      So, that's why, I thought. The dessert; parfait, was Kyungmin's absolute favorite. She once told me if she had a chance to save her brother for being eaten by crocodiles, or get the free jumbo strawberry parfait - she would choose the later. 

 

      But, then my smile disappeared when I neared the doors leading to the courtyard. 

 

     I was eating alone again, and I hope Jongdae would notice that. 

 

____________________

 

    {Sunhee}

 

       Twenty minutes had gone by and still, no sign of Kim Jongdae. I had waited for him to sho up, hoping for him to show up.

 

    I wanted to talk to him again, I wanted us to be friends again and if not; to be best friends again. 

 

    I sighed and placed the lid of my lunchbox on slouched more. I looked up at the cherry blossom tree; it's beautiful pink cherry blossoms falling down one by one. 

 

        I got my lunchbox and was about to stuff it in my bag, when-

 

   "Sunnie-ah!" 

 

   "Ahhh!" I literally screamed when hands were placed on my shoulder and I jumped when that someone screamed my name, making me throw my lunchbox in the air. "Omo!" I said angrily and whip around. 

 

   "Oops, mian," Jongdae was there, laughing slightly as he looked at me with a guilty look. "I didn't mean to scare you, mian haeyo,

 

   "Yah!" I stomp my foot and slap him on the shoulders two times, making him wince and flinch and rub the spot where I had hit him hard. "You could of just said my name, not shout it!" 

 

   "Mian, mian," he said as he walked over to my lunchbox and picked it up. "My intentions were to get your attention," he handed me my lunchbox and I took it, immediately shoving it in my bag. 

 

   "Well, it worked," I muttered and sat back down on the stone bench. "What now?" 

 

  "Nothing, I just . . . wanted to say," he paused and sat down beside me, leaving less than half a meter of space between us. "Belated Happy Birthday, Sunhee," 

 

   My eyes widened as I turned to look at him, innocently smiling at me. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing - not even a sound came out or was made. 

 

   "Mian haeyo, I didn't get to greet you during your birthday or even come by your house. We were at Jeju Islande see, you know that my granparent's own a resort there, right?" 

 

   I nodded slowly and closed my mouth. "I-yeah . . . you spent your birthday there?" 

 

   "Mhm," he said and nodded. "It was nothing special, it was just me and my family. A few relatives and some cousins and aunts," he explained and smile a little. "You greeted me happy birthday in your text, but I didn't read it until it was already 3 in the morning. I didn't reply back, and I'm really sorry for that." 

 

   I smiled and shook my head. "Ani, it's okay. I figured you were busy partying," I said, laughing a little. 

 

   Jongdae chuckled. "I was. With my family," he grinned after, making me roll my eyes. "But, anyways, I forgot to greet you yesterday through text. It was a long day going back to Seoul and all I wanted to do was sleep and rest, so I technically forgot," 

 

    My smile dropped and it turned upside down. "So, you for-" 

 

  "Yah, don't get upset," he said and nudged me by my sides after he pushed me lightly. "I promise I'll make it up to you," 

 

  "Jinjja?" I said and looked at him. "How are you exactly going to do that?" 

 

 "You'll see," he said and narrowed his eyes. "This Saturday," 

 

  "But that's too long," I complained, or more liked whined. I scolded myself for that. 

 

   Jongdae chuckled and shook his head at me. "Then just wait. You didn't get me anything either, you just texted me," he said smugly. 

 

     "Well at least I remembered your birthday," I retort back, making him scrunch his nose. "And I actually greeted you on your big day," 

 

  "Hmpf," he huffed and rolled his eyes at me. "To make it even, let's treat each other on Saturday, arasso?" he said and stuck out his hand for a handshake to close the deal.

 

  "Fine," I said and accepted his hand. I almost winced at how soft it was. It felt like a baby's skin. "As long as you treat first," 

 

    "Alright then," he said and I frowned in my head when he let go of my hand. "Again, Belated Happy 19th Birthday, Sunnie," 

 

  I smiled at what he said. I liked the sound of that - 19. "Yeah, you too," I mumbled.