Eleven - 11

Wishes Can Come True
chapter eleven;

 

The cold winter air greeted the two high school students harshly. Sunhee had to re-wrap her scarf around her neck and Jongdae had to blow and rub his hands for warmth. 

"Sunhee-ah," Jongdae said and turned to her. "Do you want me to walk you home? It's getting late, and I don't think you should walk alone," 

"Huh?" It wasn't because Sunhee hadn't heard him, she really did hear what he said and she was a little taken aback by his words. "I-uh, I mean, wae?

"It's late," he said and looked at me curiously and tilted his head. "Do you know how dangerous it is these days? Especially for girls like you?" 

"I-yah!" Sunhee frowned. She didn't really get the concerned feeling Jongdae had there, but she was rather offended of it because of the tone he used. "MwoyaWhat is that suppose to mean, hm?" 

Jongdae shook his head and bit his bottom lip, resisting the urge to laugh at her reaction. "Aniyo! I mean high school girls like yourself!" he said. "Come on, let's go," he cocked his head forward, towards the way the had come. 

When he took several steps forward and noticed Sunhee wasn't following behind him, he turned back and gave her a look. "Come on! What's wrong?"

Sunhee sighed and shook her head. "Amugeosdo," she mumbled before following him. She walked two steps ahead before Jongdae walked alongside with her. 

He didn't know what she was feeling or what the thoughts in her head were. She was nervous and slightly panicked by his presence. He was so close to her that there arms would occasionally brush each other. Of course, Jongdae didn't mind this but Sunhee did. 

She was also curious as to why he had offer to walk her home. She knew it was something more than his excuse of 'it's late and dangerous these days'. A thought crossed her mind when she was thinking about this.

He was a kingka; a male 'hottie', and with that title, he must of dated or had flings with lots of girls already.

And as she thought about this, could it be possible he was hitting on her? He was being such a gentleman so far. The little things he did, like when he opened the door for her in the internet cafe, or when he let her sit first on the chairs. 

Aniyo! You're too naive, Sunhee, the girl chided at herself in her mind. 

She didn't know his intentions were pure and true, though. All Jongdae wanted right now was for her to be safe back home. 

"Do you still live in the same street?" he suddenly asked her, breaking the not-so comfortable silence. 

"Ne," she answered simply. 

Jongdae nodded and placed his hands in his pockets as he walked. When they passed by their school, neither of them glanced at it but the two of them noticed that they passed by. 

"You know, I'm really curious about something," he said while he kicked a rock to the side. He continued when Sunhee didn't answer or say anything. "When Teacher Min was calling off partners, and you and I were called, why-why . . . why did you blurt out 'mwoya?​'?" he asked her. 

Sunhee bit her bottom lip and dug it under the warmth of her scarf. "I-um, I didn't really-I wasn't-"

"You don't like me or something?" he sighed, hiding his frown by looking down at the ground. 

"A-An-Aniyo!" Sunhee shook her head, feeling a little guilty. "It's not that, it's just . . . I was a little bit sur-surprised, that's all. It's not that I don't like you, I do, and-but-"

She was cut off by Jongdae laughing, she looked at him, perplexed as to why he was laughing. When he saw the confused look on her face, he stopped chuckling and merely grinned. "You like me?" 

Sunhee's face was starting to turn pink. She looked away in embarrasment and adjusted her glasses. "Not in that kind of sense!" she said a little angrily, making him only grin more. "You know what I mean, Jongdae!" 

His grin turned into a small smile. "Jongdae?" he chuckled lightly and looked ahead of him. His eyes and smile looked dreamy and Sunhee noticed this. 

"Why are you smiling like that?" she couldn't help but ask. 

He shrugged and glanced at her before answering. "Nobody has ever called me Jongdae these days," he admitted. "It's always Chen oppa or Chen hyung! Even my parents call me 'Chen' these days. It's good to hear my real name, gamsahabnida," I bowed and his smile grew. 

Sunhee didn't know what to say or what to do. She just smiled back and looked ahead of her. She didn't even know what to think of what he just said. 

When they neared the pedestrian crossing, the light turned red and Sunhee didn't notice this. She was too caught up thinking about Jongdae's words. When he stopped right beside the light, Sunhee took one step onto the crosswalk and before a car could side-swift her, Jongdae quickly pulled her to the side. "Hey!" he said as he pulled her. 

Just a milisecond after he did, a car came zooming past and overtaking a motorcycle. If it wans't for Jongdae, Sunhee would of been, could of been dead. 

"Yah!" Jongdae said in a whisper. "What's wrong with you, Sunhee? Are you okay?" he asked, concerned for her and she could see it. 

Sunhee went back to reality when she heard the car drive past her in lightning speed. Her foot involuntarily stepped back and she gasped when she felt Jongdae's warm hand on her wrist, his fingers encircling around it. 

"I-"

"You could of been killed, Sunhee. Gosh, what's wrong, huh? What's in your mind?" he asked. And good thing there nobody was around to see what had happened or Sunhee would of be embarrassed for the rest of her life. 

"Mian hae," she bowed at him and looked down, not wanting to meet his eyes. "And gamsahabnida," she bit her lower lip and bent her head down when they walked to the other side of the street. 

"Jebal, be careful next time alright?" he said, letting go of his grip on her when they reached the other side. 

There was silence, cold and ice-like silence when the two high school students walked towards Sunhee's house. It was getting late now, the sun was almost setting and it was more than ready to set. 

When they reached the building where Sunhee's house was, Jongdae smiled to himself. It was just like how he remembered it eight years ago. He stood at the bottom steps as Sunhee walked up to the front door, she tripped at the last step making him snicker. She pushed her glasses back up her nose and groaned to herself. 

"You were always clumsy even when we were younger," he said. "Well, anyway, annyeong, I'll see you tomorrow," and with that, he walked away, leaving Sunhee with two embarrassing moments and two red cheeks.