Chptr 1: My first step in SEOUL

SHINee Girl

 

"Unni. Yeah, I'm okay. uh-huh. I understand, don't worry. I'll be fine. Okay Bye. Thanks!"

I ended the call and let out a deep sigh. That was Kyoung-Eun Unni. She was supposed to pick me up here in the airport but something came up and her boss didn't let her leave their office.

The plane where I rode from California to Seoul landed half an hour ago. I'm an Asian but my family moved in California. This is my first time here in Korea and I'm going to stay here for a couple of months for vacation.

'Great. Now, I guess I have to find my way to Unni's apartment myself'

I pulled my large suitcase, picked up my shoulder bag and started making my way out of the airport.

As I step outside, a cold wind welcomed me bringing chills to my body. I pulled my jacket tighter and looked around the busy streets of Seoul. Though the weather is cold, seeing this commercial buildings and people walking around makes me wanna stroll for a bit before heading home.

'Coffee will put me in a good mood before wandering'. I walked to the nearest coffeeshop and made myself cozy. After I told my order to the waitress, I sat back on the couch, then I heard my message alert tone. A text from Kyoung-Eun Unni.

Jaei, where are you now? Are you alright? Just give me a call when you need something. Let me know if you arrived home already. TAKE CARE^^

I smiled and replied to her message. Unni is my close friend for over a year but this is the first time that we'll be meeting each other in person. I met her at a Korean language learning forum. I was learning korean then and she happened to be a teacher in that forum. I ask a lot of questions and she saw that i really have interest on learning korean language so she tutored me online. That's how we started to get close. Now, I can speak in korean, not as fluent as traditional speakers but just enough to survive in everyday conversations.

Not long after my order had been placed in front of me, my phone rang.

"Unni. I told you I'm here in a coffee shop. I decided to walk around before going home"

"Oh! Right timing. Can you do me a favor? I was planning to buy an anniversarry present for HyunWoo after I fetch you in the airport but you know I couldn't come and my boss is going crazy right now i think he won't let us off until we're all asleep here."

I did some remembering for a while. "Oh yeah, HyunWoo-ssi. I know him. So you're asking me to buy the gift instead? Wait. How would I know what he likes. I barely know him personally."

I heard Unni chuckled. "My dear. I believe you have a sense for this. I know you can pick the best present. Now, I have to leave. We're quite busy here in the office. BYE!"

*sigh* How would I know what stuffs will please a korean guy? I haven't even met one yet!

After a few minutes and some thinking, I'm now walking inside a mall just a couple of blocks away from the coffee shop I have been. I looked around hoping to get ideas on what to buy for Unni's boyfriend. I decided to walk in a quite big shop where I saw some nice clothes from the outside and headed to the Men's section. There weren't a lot of people there so I got a chance to examine each and every rack to find something nice enough to buy until a nice coat hanging not far away from me caught my attention. It was nice and look classy. A black, fitted-cut coat. I saw this kind of coats mostly in K-pop music events. I came closer to have a better view. I already saw HyunWoo on a photo and the way I see it he's tall and has a good body shape. I took the coat hold it up in front of me and looked at it.

'I think it would look nice on him. I'll get this one and problems are already solved."

I was about to take the coat to the cashier when a thought suddenly stopped me. 'Hey wait. The size! What's his size?! What if this doesn't fit to him. That would be a big problem. The size is very important because the coat has to be slightly body fitted or else it'll look sloppy. I thought my worries are all gone after I found the coat but obviously, I'm wrong. I decided to call Unni to ask about the size but she won't pick up. I guess he's boss has gone mad and histerical so she can't even answer a call.

I'm really worried right now. I'm not good at doing mental measuring and I do not plan to stand here for hours waiting to know the size. I'm feeling really down right now.

Just then a man came to the rack of clothes in front of where I'm standing. The man looks wierd with all those unnecessary coverings on him. A baseball cap, a scarf and a sunglasses. What's with the sunglasses? Any blinding sunrays inside the mall? I can't even see his face. But wait, this man, he's tall and his body...broad shoulders, muscles that is still noticalbe even with his coat on... his body just looks perfect. An idea struck my mind not noticing that i have been staring at this man for too long. He looked up from the rack and looked at me. He seem to be a bit shocked to found someone staring at him for no reason at all but after a few seconds, he managed to let a sweet smile while still looking at me and went back on examining the clothes in front of him.

My heart skip a bit seeing him smile. His smile looks so perfect and even with all those covers in his face, I believe he's handsome. 'Hey Jaei, what happening to you? Just because of a smile? You seem to be forgetting something.'

Just then, reality came back to my mind. I need to go on with my idea or else I would be going home very late and that's not good. At first, I hesitated to carry on with my idea. I'm not the one who talks a lot specially to someone I barely know. I'm a shy type girl but I have to do this.

I got to ready my tongue for some real korean conversation. Thanks to Unni.

'This is it'. I slowly came closer to the wierd looking guy, stopped near enough to him and started.

"Uhhmm, Chogiyo (excuse me)." I called out causing the man to look at mem he seem to be a bit shocked that I have gone near him. He looked around for some reason as if he was expecting more people would come near him. After seeing no one, he looked bck to me 

Then I continued. 

"Uhmm, s-sorry to bother you. I was planning to buy this coat for someone but I'm having a trouble finding out his size. I-I'm just wandering if..." I paused for a bit. This is harder than I thought. "i-if you could fit this for me." Finally, I said it.

I didn't get an immediate reply. He won't refuse,right. Will he? 

He just stared at me for a few seconds then laughed softly.

"So, it's all just about the coat?". He seemed to expect other reason. "I thought you discov-..."

I gave him a confused look. 

"Uhh, never mind. So you're thinking that I and the guy you're talking about have the same size?" He gently took the coat from my hands and take a better look to it.

"Uhh yeah. Sort of. I think this coat would not look well with the wrong size."

He's now examining the coat as if he is going to buy it himself. Because of that, I had a chance to take a better look at him. As I saw him in a closer view, I had just proven right my conclusion earlir. I can see it behind the covers in his face. This man really looks good.

He started to fit the coat. He removed the jacket he was wearing revealing his body in a body fitted shirt. 'Nice body' is all that I can say. I'm lost of words. His shoulders were broad enough to be proportioned to his body. The muscles, they're not that big, but it looks very manly in its own way. His flat somach, with those abs on...

'Wait. What am I doing? Fantasizing over a stranger? 

But there's this familiarity that's bothering me. He looks very familiar but I can't figure out where did i see him. Even his voice sounds familiar too. I'm sure I had heard of it somewhere. Before I can figure out why this guy looks familiar, he had finished fitting the coat and looked at me. He caught me staring again. Oh no, he might think I'm rude and wierd. I can feel my cheeks bacame warm, sign that I'm blushing. I quickly looked down as he walks towards me.

"Here, it fits well to me. If you think me and the guy really have the same size, it should look good on him." he handed me the coat. I took it without looking at him. I'm sure I am badly blushing and I don't want him to see it.

"Thank you."

"Welcome. You don't know me, right?"

I glanced at him and he was smiling. Oh, that perfect smile.  

I shook my head as an answer for his question.

"Well, I'll be glad to meet you. I'm Cho- " 

He was interupted by an older man who tapped him in a shoulder. His with another two younger guys, and like the guy in front of me, they are covered too. 

What's with this covered people?  

I looked at one of the 'covered' guy. He looks younger than these other two guys. He's skinny but it definitely looks good. He has a red, slightly long hair. 

The other guy is covered in a more fashionable way. He's wearing a colorful scarf, a bunch of accesories, he's glasses are stylishly different. He's pretty elegant for a man. But what's bothering me is that even these two guys look familiar. Extremely familiar but I really can't find out why.

"Hey kid. We need to go. We're running late." The older man said to the guy I was talking to a while ago.

"Oh, okay manager-hyung." He bowed and greet me goodbye. 

The other to also bowed slightly even though they don't know me. They are both smiling at me so I just bowed and smiled back. 

Just a few moments, the guys were gone. They seemed to be in a rush.

I payed for the coat and headed out. I think I should go home now and take some rest. 

Until I'm riding in a taxi home, I'm still bothered why those guys look familiar. I tried to think hard but I really can't find out. I guess I'll find it out someday...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

Hope you like my first chapter. Sorry for any mistakes,if there's any, this is my first story so please, just bare with it. 

I would love to hear comments and suggestions from you soon.

READ, COMMENT :)