Trust Issues

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

Did Yongguk just confess his feelings the other night? He must be on drugs or something. He’s weird. He actually had the nerve to ask me to be friends with him. PFFT! What in the world was he thinking? Whatever! A week has passed and no signs of him. Thank God! I hope I won’t bump into him in the future.

 

You were in the kitchen gulping the last bit of milk before going for your morning run. Everyone in the house was still asleep since it was another weekend. You woke up exceptionally early today. You needed to train longer since the national competition was coming soon. You scribbled a note and placed it on the kitchen counter for your Aunt, telling her that you would be back for breakfast.

You ran along the pavement that goes towards the city area. Your ears were plugged in with music and you were focussing on your running above anything else. You breathed in the fresh morning air and let the sunlight touched your skin. You were humming to the music when suddenly you felt a tap on your shoulder. You took out your earpiece and turned back.

“Good Morning Lyorin!” Yongguk greeted delightfully. You were so shocked that you almost tripped on a rock but Yongguk managed to catch your waist preventing you from falling. “Hey, be careful.” He reminded.

"What are you doing here?!" You questioned his presence.

"To jog of course." Yongguk replied.

"With that clothes and shoes?" You stared at his black sleeveless top with baggy cargo pants and boots. Those weren't definitely the correct outfit for running. You looked at his hair, which apparently was of different colour and style.

"So, how's my new hairstyle?" He caught you staring at his hair.

"Weird." You answered flatly. You turned your heels and continued your running, leaving him there. He began jogging beside you. "Stop...following..me." You spoke in between breathes. He ignored and continued jogging with his boots, which were making loud noises. You halted suddenly and shouted frustratingly, "SERIOUSLY, WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!"

Yongguk stopped as well and faced you. "I just want to get to know you. I thought you agreed to be friends?" He said with a tinge of sadness.

You let out a sigh. Honestly, you felt bad for yelling at him. "Okay fine. We need to talk about this." You led him to an open space and sat on the grass floor. "I don't know what's up on your sleeves and why you are messing with me. You do know that I'm not supposed to be anywhere close to you. Yongguk sshi..."

"Yongguk oppa. Call me oppa." He interrupted.

"No, I won't call you that. Listen here, we can never be friends. I don't know you and I don't trust you. You tried to kill me. How am I supposed to accept someone who wants me dead? It doesn't make sense at all. Heck, I'm not even supposed to be having this conversation with you." You stated straightforwardly.

"Do you really hate me that much?" He asked.

"What kind of question is that? Whether I hate you or not, it doesn't matter. Aren't you supposed to be the one hating me?" You asked in return.

"No. I don't hate you. In fact, I like you. That day when I used my power on you, I couldn't help but feel like I've committed the greatest mistake. The regret I felt afterwards was unbearable. Every night I kept thinking and praying that you survived. Now, that I get to see you, my heart feels at ease. All I want is to get to know you." He explained.

"But I don't trust you." You said.

"It's okay if you don't. Just don't push me aside please. I promise I won't do anything to you. I would never let anyone hurt you. I promise." Yongguk was serious.

"But... EXO..." The thought of EXO finding out about you and Yongguk made you further reluctant.

"Don't worry about EXO. You don't have to tell them. We don't have to always meet. I can just call you on the phone. My number is already in your phone." He chuckled.

"What?!" You took out your phone and browsed your contact list. You came across, "Yonggukkie oppa" name and knew right away that was his.

"Sorry, Zelo is a genius and gifted hacker. Lyorin, I hope this would make up for the bad things I've done to you. I'll get going now. Take care! And thanks!" He left without giving you the chance to speak. You sat for awhile trying to comprehend what just happened. You didn't want to get close to him but neither did you want to hate him forever. He looked genuine and sincere but then again, it could be all an act. You put your thoughts away and stood up.

"What have I gotten myself into?" You mumbled before pacing yourself and continue your running.

 

***************************

 

Good Morning, what are you doing today?

I miss you.

Last night I went to the city, hoping to see you but my wish wasn't fulfilled. (insert sad face emoticon)

Lyorin, are you ignoring me? Please don't. 

Good Night beautiful. May you dream of me. Kekeke. 

 

"Oh God, he is so annoying." Lyorin slammed her phone down after receiving constant text messages from Yongguk. She ignored most it and even if she replied, it would be, "Yongguk sshi, please stop all this," to prevent him from getting all close to her. Yet, he remained persistent and kept texting her.

 

It was a cold evening. Lyorin was watching TV with Baekhyun, Chen, Xiumin and Chanyeol while Suho and Kris were sitting at the dining table, drinking and having their own conversation. Kai, Luhan, Sehun and Lay were at the billiard table, playing for the past hour. Tao and D.O, the same age buddy, were in the study room. The boys were watching a war movie and Lyorin had to make do with it since there wasn’t any other interesting show. While focussing her eyes on the TV screen, a sad scene of a young boy hugging his parents before departing for war, was shown. Without realising, a tear dropped from her eye and she quickly wiped it away.

However, Baekhyun caught her act and nudged Chanyeol who was sitting beside Lyorin. “Yeol, Lyorin is crying?” He whispered so softly that only Chanyeol could hear. Chanyeol turned and looked at Lyorin who was looking down, trying to avoid the guys’ gazes. She didn’t like to show her weak and vulnerable side. She had always put on a strong and brave front.

“Lyorin, are you okay?” Lyorin nodded but still looking down. “Hey…are you crying?” Chanyeol asked tenderly.

He gently pushed her chin up. By then, Lyorin had stopped tearing.  “I’m fine.” She managed to answer and gave a smile but only to receive doubtful stares from him “What? I’m really fine. My eyes hurt a little just now but I’m already okay.” Obviously he knew she was lying. “Oppa, can I ask something personal?” Chanyeol nodded. “Where are your parents?” She continued.

“My parents, they left me when I was a kid. Actually all of us were sort of, left by our parents when we’re young.” He said it without any emotion.

“Where are they now? Did they leave you because you guys have powers?” She probed further.

“They sent us here for training once we acquired our powers. It’s an obligation actually. They’re aware of how our family works. If you happen to notice, all of us have birthmarks. Mine is here; the shape of a phoenix.” Chanyeol showed his arm. Lyorin already knew about their little tattoos the guys had on them. “So, technically, they were already prepared to leave their sons. It was hard at first since all of us were still young and clueless.” He added.

“They left you guys here and never come back? Why?” Lyorin wondered.

“We aren’t ordinary people. When a family produces a chosen child, they are awarded with the abundance of wealth and are highly respected in the clan. However, the chosen child has to be given up once he reaches the age. He poses danger to the family and his responsibility towards the survival of the clan is more important. Our parents are aware of the importance and thus willing to sacrifice. It is a pity that our family ties have been severed since we aren’t allowed to contact them at all or ask about them. Basically, we are out of their lives and the same about them to us. However, thinking about the risks, we are glad that we aren’t part of our family. The only way to protect them is to leave them. Harsh but it’s the reality.” Baekhyun did the explanation. Chen, Xiumin and Baekyun had stopped watching the movie and were engaging in the talk as well.

“That’s a really huge sacrifice. Don’t you miss them?”

“We do but that’s it. We can only miss them. Lyorin ah, this is our fate. There are some things in life you just can’t control. Like for yourself, you are born into the world as EXO’s Star. No matter how hard you try to run away, it will still hit back at you.” Chen said.

Lyorin understood and then further questioned, “So, is that why my parents left me as well?”

The guys fidgeted before finally answering. Chanyeol explained, “Hmm…. I guess so.”

“What do you mean by I-guess-so?”

“Lyorin ah….” Xiumin was hesitant to say what was on his mind. Apparently, they seemed to know about Lyorin’s parents.

Suho, who overheard their conversation came over and put his arm around Lyorin. He looked at her tenderly and said, “Lyorin, holidays are coming soon right? We’ll take you to Mr Lee. He’s the most appropriate person to tell you more about your parents.”

 

To be continued...