Invitation

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

“Rrrrriinngggg!” The school bell rang signalling the end of school. Lyorin flipped close the Math textbook and slouched back at her seat. What a tiring day! But, HELLO WEEKENDS! Her tiredness disappeared instantly after realising it was already Friday. As she was packing her stuff, she noticed Sehun sitting on top of the desk beside hers, swinging his legs while a lollipop.

“Lyorin, it’s FRIDAY! YAY!” Sehun screamed out of a sudden with his hands stretch up high. The classmates that were leaving abruptly stopped and turned at the weirdo. Sehun realised the unnecessary attention he was getting, mumbled a sorry and bowed. However, minutes later he was singing loudly and this time, he didn’t bother about the stares.

“Sehun, you’re embarrassing”, Lyorin chuckled as she threw a crush paper ball at him in hope that he would stop singing.

“No, I’m not. No matter how embarrassing I am, you’d still like me right?”  He knelt down and his face was just inches away from her. He was so close that Lyorin could hear his low breathing. “I’m still your favourite, right?” Her heartbeat increased rapidly as he asked her in a deep, low voice which sounded y. Kai who was sitting a few desks away, stopped reading his comic book and looked at them. Lyorin snapped out of the trance and pushed his forehead.

“Puh-lease!” She rolled her eyes. Sehun pouted at her response while Kai just smirked.

“It’s alright. I will make sure you like me the best. I am, after all the most charming guy in EXO…” Yoona who came over, heard him saying EXO. In pretence, she asked him what ‘EXO’ was. Of course she knew what it was, from Lyorin. “Oh….hi Yoo..Yoona.” Sehun stuttered nervously at the question directed at him. He wasn’t supposed to talk about EXO to anyone and realised he was on a boiling soup, not knowing what and how to answer.

“So what is EXO?” Yoona asked once again and sat on the seat beside Lyorin. She glanced over at Lyorin who was holding her laugh. 

“Just a group we have outside school.” Lyorin looked up and saw Kai explaining it instead of Sehun. His face was hard and cold as though he hated having to tell a lie through his teeth. Kai figured that the maknae was out of words and had to stand up for him, since Lyorin wasn’t helping either.

“Oh I see.” Yoona pretended and accepted the answer.

Lyorin looked at Kai, who was staring back as well. She was happy before but now, she was upset – at herself. Kai’s face showed that he was disappointed in her for not helping Sehun out, instead she was chuckling silently. She looked over at Sehun, who sighed in relief. She felt bad. Lyorin excused herself and made her way out of the classroom to the lockers. Yoona followed behind. Sehun told her to take her time and will wait for her in the car.

Lyorin opened her locker, “Yoona that was mean just now”, and proceeded to place some of her school books in. Yoona shot her an innocent look.

“What? I was just messing around,” she laughed. Lyorin stared at her disapprovingly, “Fine, I’m sorry..eh? Isn’t that Hyunsik? Oh my God, he’s walking over to us.” Lyorin diverted her gaze to a group of handsome guys walking towards them. She gulped nervously.

“He..hello.” Hyunsik smiled and waved a little. Yoona smiled back while Lyorin raised an eyebrow at his sudden approached. “I’m sorry about the other night if I pulled off as being stuck up for not talking. I was just…”

“Nah, it’s alright. Don’t have to apologise. We know you’re a shy person.” Yoona cut in. Hyunsik shook his head.

“No, I’m not. I mean…hmmm.. I’m not shy…okay?” He tried to clarify but only to earn teasing calls and laughter from his three friends at the back. He scratched his ear and looked down, knowing very well that he just made a fool of himself. Lyorin couldn’t help but smile at his actions.

“Okay okay, you’re not shy.” Yoona said out loud to salvage the already embarrassing moment.

“Thanks…hmmm…are you girls free tonight? If not tonight, then tomorrow? Or Sunday? If not free at all, then it’s okay.” He asked nervously and quickly in a breath.

Both Lyorin and Yoona glanced at each other. Both of them received such date requests before and would usually turn down the offer without hesitation. They were never interested in dating the guys in school despite having many suitors and crushes. They enjoyed the low profile status they tried to maintain but of course, no one could turn a blind eye at their beautiful faces.

“Okay, how about tomorrow? We are free tomorrow right, Lyorin?” Yoona nudged Lyorin who remained unresponsive. “Hmm…let’s meet tomorrow then. So, where are we going?” Yoona took control of the situation as Lyorin stared blankly still trying to comprehend. Hyunsik, delighted at the answer, quickly placed his backpack down, ped and searched for a piece of paper and pen. He then stood in front of the lockers and scribbled something on the paper, using the lockers as support. Everyone, including his friends, just stood motionlessly watching him. When done, he passed the note to Yoona.

“See you both at 5pm at this address tomorrow,” he picked up his bag, gave them a small wave before walking away. “Oh by the way, thank you for accepting!” He shouted across the hallway. Lyorin face palmed at yet another one, who shouted shamlessly out loud, just like Sehun.

“What was that for, Yoona? Who said I was free?” Yoona ignored and continued scrutinizing the piece of note. Lyorin was curious, so she snatched the note away from her and started reading the address. “I’m so not going out tomorrow!” Lyorin declared.

“Hey!” Yoona glared at her. Lyorin closed her locker and headed towards the carpark, ignoring Yoona who suddenly panicked when she saw her leaving. Yoona lightly jogged and caught up with Lyorin. “Lyorin ah, that’s not how you treat someone who has saved us before. The least we could do, other than thanking him, is to accept his date…wait…I mean his INVITATION.” Lyorin stopped and chuckled, at her friend’s little mistake. “What’s so funny?” Yoona asked innocently.

“Nothing.” Lyorin shrugged.

“So, you’re coming right?” Yoona questioned again, as they continued their walk. “Come on, just this once. He seems like a nice guy and genuine too. He’s definitely not like the other jocks here. So please say yes?” She pleaded. They finally reached and stopped just right in front of the car. Kai was inside the driver seat, while Sehun was outside leaning against the side of the car.

“Okay okay, I will go.” Lyorin agreed at last. She was actually looking forward to meeting Hyunsik but pretended to be unexcited about it. Yoona’s face lighted up instantly and she hugged Lyorin tightly.

“Thank you so much baby!” Sehun witnessed the little hug and smiled to himself. He then offered Yoona to take the car but she refused telling him that she had a direct bus back home. “See you tomorrow, Lyorin” Yoona escaped quickly before Sehun could question her.

“You’re going out tomorrow?” Sehun asked as he opened the back door for her. Lyorin mentally scolded Yoona for saying out loud. Once inside the car, she pulled out her phone pretending to have not heard the question. “So, where are you going tomorrow?” Sehun asked again. Kai started the engine and looked at her through the rear view mirror, waiting for an answer as well.

“Out with Yoona.” She answered. She could see Sehun looking down and shaking his head. She knew he was gesturing her to not go.

“Lyorin ah, you know Kris hyung won’t allow right?” Sehun said in a gentle voice in hope that Lyorin would listen and understand. Lyorin just stared at the sky, not wanting to answer to an obvious rhetorical question. She was aware that she had to face Suho and Kris again. She hated the fact that she was not allowed to go out without seeking their approval first. She hated having to beg them to let her go. She hated how her life was too controlled. But above all, she hated how they refused to tell her what exactly that was dangerous out there. Keeping that in mind, she was adamant to place her freedom over everything even if it means having to challenge EXO. It’s my life after all. I’m not going to waste my youth by being at home, being afraid, being controlled and so on. No way!

 

**********************************************************

 

You glanced at your watch, “4pm”, exactly an hour before your meeting. You had butterflies in the stomach, unsure on whether it was because you were nervous going out with Hyunsik and his friends for the first time or was it because you were nervous knowing you have to face EXO and their never ending restrictions. You paced back and forth the room trying to find the right words to tell Suho and Kris. You were already dressed out in a white and red coloured-sleeves raglan tee and a pair of cut off denim shorts. You finally found the confidence and headed out of the room.

 

You walked down the long stretch of stairs, praying on every step that they boys were not at the living room. Undeniably, you were nervous and afraid. As you walked down, you saw Sehun and Luhan concentrating their eyes on the tv screen and fingers moving swiftly on the game console. They were too engrossed playing the kinect to notice you. Then your eyes darted to the long sofa where Kai was lying down; with headphones on and his right arm covering his forehead. He didn't notice you as well. You counted; only three of them. No signs of the leaders. You quickened your steps when suddenly Suho appeared out of the kitchen. Hell no! Best part, he saw you instantly.

 

"Lyorin, where are you going?" Suho asked authoritatively. You hated how commanding his tone was. Luhan and Sehun stopped playing and looked at you. Kai who noticed as well, sat up and gave you his usual cold stare.

 

"Out. To meet Yoona," you answered flatly. Out of a sudden, you saw a flying Kris. The hell?? Did he just fly from the second level? Can't he use the stairs? Kris descended from the second floor and marched towards you menacingly. As he stood in front, towering above you with his height, you can't help but gulped nervously. For the first time, you felt really scared of him. That totally explained why he was the leader in charge of discipline. A part of you wanted to follow his order and head straight to your room but a large part of you refused to budge.

 

"You're not going anywhere!" He said in his deep voice, articulating every single word slowly. Luhan walked over but before he could speak, "Luhan, you're not allowed to speak on her behalf! Sehun, you too!" Luhan stopped and gave you an apologetic look. You looked over and smiled at him, aware of his predicament. Kai and Suho were already standing beside Kris with disapproval looks as well. You clenched your teeth and glared at Kris.

 

"Either you let me go and I'll come back OR i will leave this place for good and never see you guys anymore." You hissed at Kris fearlessly. Kris tightened his fists but you weren't afraid of him hitting you. You confidently knew he wouldn't dare lay a finger on you. Suho was shaking his head. He was conflicted. He didn't want to let you go for fear of your safety neither did he want to lose seeing you.

 

"Fine, go." Suho voiced out at last. Kai wanted to stop you but Suho shot him a look. Kai was definitely angry at the way you threatened Kris and Suho. They were his leaders and no one dared to speak against them, except you. Kris gave up and sighed out loud. He turned his head and diverted his eyes elsewhere other than you. You turned your back at them and walked towards the door and out. You won, yet again.

 

 

To be continued...