Just another dream?

Dawn of the Rising Star

09/01/2012

 

Do you have that particular question you’ve always wanted an answer but too afraid to ask? A question you’ve been dying to know but at the same time just don’t have the strength to ask. Because deep down inside you know the truth might hurt. I wish everything comes with an answer. Should I seek the truth or live a coward life that I’ve been living for the past 17 years? We’ll see.

 My life is, normal? Yes that’s the word; just normal. Nothing, but normal. I just turned 17 years old last month, what did you expect my life to be? I live with my beloved Aunt Marie. She’s not my real Aunt, just a guardian that has been taking care of me. Where are my parents? What happened to them? I’m not sure. I don’t even have a clue on how they look like or their names. Whenever I asked Aunt about my parents, the answers I got aren’t really answers. “Honey, your parents are….well…they are not here” Seriously Aunt, you got to be kidding me? So, I stopped probing my Aunt. Her expressions darkened every time I asked. I don’t want to hurt her. Never. She’s the only person I have.

“Lyorin my dear, time for school”, Aunt Marie called out your name as she sat on the side of the bed, gently shaking your body. You were wrapped under the comfortable blanket, refusing to budge. You just felt so tired and lazy.

“Aunt, 5 minutes more please”, you groaned weakly, still under the comfy blanket.

“Alright, make sure you’re up by then okay? See you downstairs”, Aunt got up from my bed and pushed the curtains to the side letting the sunlight entered the room. You were already awake but the lethargic feeling you had from sleepless nights never failed to greet you every morning. Why do I keep having this dream? You got up slowly and dragged yourself off the bed and headed for shower.

30 minutes later, you headed downstairs to the dining table for breakfast. Your Aunt was already there waiting and you quickly took a seat opposite her. You grabbed the cup of milk and slowly drank it, in between yawns. Glancing across the headline on the newspaper, you noticed the uncanny article.

“A man found dead after being pinned by a falling tree. 40 year-old Kim Junho was found dead under a falling tree. He has suffered multiple injuries…….”

A coincidence again, you nervously thought. Since young, you always had this strangest sense of being closely watched, especially when you walked outdoors. This peculiar feeling would just come once in a blue moment. Even though it was rare but felt real every single time. It's even stranger that whenever you encountered such a feeling, the next day, you would hear news of a person getting killed in an accident within the vicinity you’re living in. Just a coincidence or is it somehow related? You wondered. You had this feeling yesterday while walking back home. Just like your previous experience, someone had died in an accident this morning. Just the thought of it brought shivers down your spine. Death is not something you wanted to predict. Death is something you never wanted to be associated with.

 

“Why are you so tired nowadays?” Aunt worriedly asked as you snapped back from your fearful thoughts. She handed a slice of bread to you but you refused.

“Thanks Aunt. I’ll just drink” You ignored her question and kept yawning.

“KIM LYORIN, what did you do last night? Why do you so sleepy?” You straightened up quickly. Your Aunt meant business if she started calling out your full name.

“I don’t know Aunt, it’s just these past few nights, I’ve been having this weird dream. The same weird dream and I kept waking up in the middle of the night”, you confessed.

“Dream? What is it about?” your Aunt questioned further. However, this time her tone was more serious than before. As if she knew something about this dream. I shrugged my shoulders innocently in hope to stop the conversation, but my Aunt just stared at me, waiting for an answer.

“I cannot really grasp what it is. I keep hearing unidentified people calling me the ‘Star’.  Everything about the dream was just weird and it’s even weirder when I keep having the same dream. Pfft! Star? Me? What even?” you chuckled; amused at people calling you star. How cheesy! Your Aunt on the other hand, kept a straight face. Okay Aunt, chill. It’s just a dream.

“How long have you been having this dream?” Your Aunt interrogated further.

“I can’t really remember, Aunt. Probably about a month” Okay, this is getting weirder. I better make a move to school before my Aunt questions further. Why is she? Oh never mind. “Okay Aunt, I better get going. Anyway, regarding the dream, don’t worry about it. I’m sure it will go away. Maybe I should start taking sleeping pills,” you joked trying to lighten up the mood. You went over to Aunt Marie and gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze before heading for the door.

Aunt Marie grabbed your hand before you could exit the house, “Lyorin, you know that I love you so much. You know whatever I’ve done for you and whatever I will do for you is for your own good.” You turned to look at her and your heart softened. All the tiredness you felt totally disappeared. Yes Aunt, I have never once doubted your love for me. Thank you. You gave her an assuring nod and did a heart-sign.

 “I LOVE YOU TOO!” you sang loudly. You gave her a quick hug and left the house.

“Don’t you dare take sleeping pills!” you laughed softly when your Aunt screamed. You skipped your way towards the garden in the front yard and approached sunflowers that you had been taking care of since young. You beamed happily looking at how healthy the flowers had grown. As you got nearer to the small patch of sunflowers, you noticed something odd. Why this particular flower is not at its place? You didn’t remember planting the flower at that spot. However, you decided not to dwell further and concluded that probably the wind must have slightly moved the flower from its place.

 

**********************************************************************

 

Meanwhile back in the house, Marie took out her cell phone and recovered a text message from an unknown number. He’s dead. Call me A.S.A.P. She quickly dialled the unknown number and waited until a familiar voice was heard.

"Hello", Marie greeted.

"Hello, Marie. Is everything okay? Is -” the unknown person abruptly stopped.

"I think it's about time to reveal it to her", Marie managed to cut in.

"I see", the caller replied.

“Is he really dead; the one on the news? Kim Junho?” Aunt Marie asked.

“Yes, he’s dead. Please be prepared Marie”, said the person. He was composed throughout the call.

"Always am", Marie assured.

"Good. I will send people as early as tonight. Take care. Take extra care. We'll talk again soon" The call ended. Marie stood motionlessly for a minute thinking about Lyorin's safety. That was all she wanted.

 

 

To be continued.....