Long Lost Neighbor

Help Me, Not Him

You were in the library and you couldn't concentrate. You kept giving Junhyung the wrong information which made him get the wrong answers and you were going crazy..once again.

Junhyung put his pencil down and said, "What's up? You're not being a very good tutor like what everyone else has been telling me." You said, "I'm sorry. I guess I'm just not in the mood today. I mean, it's friday.." He looked at you suspiciously and said, "Really? You ran out of school with tears in your eyes and lied to me saying that it was cause you yawned and now you tutoring me is actually making me dumber." "Look, I'm just.. not feeling well today." Junhyung stared at you and said, "What, is it cause of your friend Daniel?" Your face dropped and Junhyung immediately said, "Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you." You looked up at him. "It's the first time you've said sorry to me." He looked down and said, "I know how to say sorry. I just choose not to say it." You closed the books and said, "I think I should know more about you before I start tutoring you." He looked at you, confused.

"I've never really... talked about myself. I don't know where to start." He said as you guys were eating dinner at the fast food joint. You said, "It's not that hard. Just tell me what you like to do." He rolled his eyes. You said, "That's a bad habit." "What, rolling my eyes?" "Yeah, can give a person the wrong idea." He looked at you strangely and asked, "Did I ever give you the wrong impression with my eye-rolling?" You thought back to the ddukbokki shop and said, "Yeah, when we were at the ddukbokki shop and I introduced myself and you rolled your eyes." He said, "I don't remember. I roll my eyes at everyone." You were beginning to think it was going to be a long night, trying to figure him out.

He slowly started opening himself up to you. You found out that he liked to watch movies, write lyrics, and that he loved to eat all sorts of food. You opened yourself up to him too and told him funny stuff about yourself. It was weird to see him laugh and smile. The mood changed though when you asked him about his family. His face immediately dropped and he said, "it's not my favorite thing to talk about." You replied and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't know." He looked at you and said, "Only Kikwang knows about it. That's why he's always there for me. I never really thanked him for it actually." You tried to switch the topic by talking about his friends. He smiled and said, "I want to debut in a group with them and only them. I know I beat up Dongwoon but I will never leave him behind." You were glad to see that he appreciated his friends.

Junhyung walked you home since it was dark. You guys couldn't stop talking and you actually had a good time with him. "Did you know, I knew you since elementary school?" He suddenly brought it up and you didn't understand him. "How? I don't remember you.." He smiled and said, "I'm sure you didn't. We didn't go to the same school. I was your neighbor."

You suddenly remembered. Before you moved into the house you live in now, you lived in an apartment in another neighborhood where you had always stumbled upon the boy next door. You never got to know his name since you never asked. You remembered seeing him every morning waiting for the elevator and getting on it with you. There was even one time when you ran late and he held the elevator door for you. He always smiled when he would see you and you always smiled back. There were times when you would trip and he would catch you. Once, he teased you and called you Miss Clumsy. Then, you suddenly remembered that his parents were murdered and there were police in the apartment building for weeks and you never saw the boy again.

Junhyung's parents were murdered. He had no real family. No wonder his face dropped when the topic came up.

You looked up at him and said, "You were elevator boy?" He smiled and said, "Yup, Miss Clumsy. I recognized you at high school because you fell on the first day of school and you have the same face." He laughed. Then in a more serious tone, he said, "And yeah. It was my parents who were murdered." He dropped his head. "I'm sorry" you said. You guys were silent for the rest of the walk home.