Six

An Unexpected Boyfriend

 

6.

.,¡i|¹i¡¡i¹|i¡,.
`"¹li¡|¡|¡il¹"`

 

"Why do you look like you've been weighing hundreds of books on those feeble shoulders?" A smiling coworker named Victoria Song nudged Hana's arm, sending the latter back to reality. She sat straight and transfered her gaze to Victoria.

 

Hana hoisted both hands up at her close Unnie. "I give up! You know me too well already," she monotonously said. Victoria smirked in agreement, she was about to initiate a conversation with the problematic friend but more customers arrived; making both of them, or anyone else unable to do so. "Focus, okay?" The older encouraged, and led Hana's hands down.

 

Hana gave an exasperated sigh. "Beh goh pahyo.." (I'm hungry.) She grunted and held onto her abdomen, preventing it from sounding. It was going to be afternoon already, she felt like passing out for the reason of two; her lunch was nowhere in her bag and for what had happened and will be happening with her and Kris.

 

Troubled days... I'll be meeting and dealing with them, aren't I? Hana sighed for the nth time and watched Victoria's y back retreat to the counter.

 

Today, Saturday, was a normal day, the usual, the extraordinary usual.

 

A lot of customers came in and out of the popular Book Store she was secretly working for, in the weekends (and even before she started high school which is yes, summer). Moody students, teenagers on varied battlefields of life, unenthusiastic and uninspired workers and even the grumpiest and richest elders came in rushing for books of different kinds, of different sizes, of different topics and of different motives.

 

It seemed like everyone came in the dark side today... except for the youngest ones.

 

They can't be all bookworms, right? Hana grinned at a kid who asked help on reaching for a storybook that was placed on a shelf inaccesible to the short boy. "Here you go." Hana leveled herself with the child's bright face.

 

"Gamsamnida, noona!" The little bliss cooed and placed a soft kiss on Hana's cold cheek. The girl couldn't help but smile. Oh what joy these cute kids bring. "Chunmaneyeo." She responded and watched the source of her petty happiness go back to her mother.

 

After an hour (and another and another) of helping everyone get what they want, Hana slumped on a stool nearby. The customers' moods had led her to think of quitting. Most of the older ones who came were extra mean and rude to her. She always wondered why, but still kept a smile on.

 

Her eyes came upon her watch; which was just there by her lifeless wrist. "Three o'clock." She softly muttered and began to feel like fainting any moment from now. She rubbed the sweat off her forehead and cheek and accidentally smeared the make-up on the rim of her eyes she needs to wear for work. Still have two hours to go.

 

Mentally bombarding herself with thoughts, she felt all her energy drain, but she was sure all her efforts won't come to a naught. Still, she felt so weak and crushed today. I can't keep doing this... Eomma is going to kill me. She stopped thinking and debating in solitude when she felt a finger carefully poke her right shoulder.

 

"Annyeong.." A young girl who was undeniably beautiful greeted; her tone wasn't that harsh nor was it that friendly, it was noticeable that she's from a high caste. Hana forced a smile as she looked up with a cold interior. She mustered all strength to get back on her feet... for her Eomma.

 

The younger girl marveled at the height of Lee Hana. For a woman, and for her age, Hana sure is tall. "Oh?" The shorter cleared and began, "Can you please get those pink books above there for me?" She asked, being polite enough. "Sweet Valley Twins? You'll get all of these seven books?" Hana asked, the younger nodded and placed her cart in front of Hana. Hana spun on her heels, the eerie sound of the stool being dragged against the floor made both of them mentally flinch.

 

Hana stood on top of the stool and grabbed the needed book while holding on the dividers of the clean shelves. I'm not gonna die now. She spoke in mind. Toughen up, Hana! She scolded her ownself while gritting her teeth. "Is this all?" She inquired before hopping back down. "Ndeh. Thanks, Unnie." The little girl walked off with several more books in her cart. Why is this aisle so busy? Why am I assigned here? Hana wanted to scream her lungs out in frustration yet she couldn't for she needed to assist another student.

 

"Wu Jia." A man called the beautiful, Chinese girl, she then turned to him. "What took you so long?" Kris asked her only sister, glaring at her at the same time with one thick eyebrow raised. Jia rolled her eyes and used it as an answer. Kris blew a frustrated raspberry and placed all her books to the counter. "These are so many." Kris remarked, glancing at the girl. "So?" Jia quickly blurted out.

 

"Don't jeer as if you're better." Kris spoke. Jia grew angry at this, "What?" Kris shook his head as if a parent preparing for a comeback at his child. "Well if you must know, you still won't be as smart as I." He bluntly concluded. Jia glared at him. "Shut up, ge." She scoffed and purposely shoved Kris aside. Kris was slightly fazed but kept cool. "You learned to be polite to people except me? How cute." Kris concluded and crossed his arms over his chest, his back leaned against the counter, aimlessly scanning at the other humans around.

 

"Ge." Jia called, he didn't budge. "Yi Fan ge!" Kris turned to Jia, his eyes showed how cold he is and how he hated having to guard the little pest in his life for her mother's sake. "Yes, meimei?" Kris faked his tone because he disgusted the view of a pouting sibling. "Favor...?"

 

Kris grunted something before agreeing. "What is it?" Jia beamed at him before grabbing a pink book which had a defect on its back cover. Kris inspected it before turning to the cashier in distrust. "Er, sorry for a flaw." Victoria said whilst nervously chuckling just to ease the atmosphere. "Just look for Hana in the Kids and Teens' Stories section." Victoria suggested and turned to the other books Jia bought.

 

Kris ears perked up the moment he heard that name; which he plans on making fun of. He had to smile before asking again, "Who?" Jia rolled her eyes before signaling Kris to that section, "There. That Unnie is there," she answered instead.

 

"Hn." He smirked before walking over to the said section. As he made a turn to where it is located, his mood lightened as he saw your back and that long, wavy, brown hair that was kept in a high ponytail today. It was actually groomed, and it was the first time he saw it being done pretty well since the first week of school. Well, I'm not contrite about coming now.

 

Kris was planning to scare the hell out of Hana (who was, by the way, standing on top of an unsturdy stool again), by maybe surprising her from the back and have her end up falling and panicking. Yet he stopped on his tracks when he noticed four young men nearby checking on Hana's slender legs because the latter was wearing a short, pink plaid skirt as uniform... he dreaded didn't like it.

 

These rascals. His smirk turned into a frown as he clenched a fist. He wasn't sure why he did so but without further ado, he doubled his steps and marched to the girl who was unaware of what is basically going on.

 

"Is this the story you need?" Hana twisted her head around and showed to the men the navy blue book that they asked for. She wasn't going to look at them for one obvious reason: she detests each and everyone of their their kind.

 

"Aniyo." All four chorused. She sighed and turned back to the books that were arranged in a color-coded shelf. "How about... this one?" She pointed to another. They shook their heads and took steps closer, not breaking their eyes from her swaying back. "I think it's the next one, noona." One guy snickered while the other guys agreed. She sighed and pushed the book back to its place. Before she could grab the next navy blue material, a melodious gasp escaped as she felt arms secure to her petite waist, pulling her down in the process.

 

"Nugayo-" Kris sealed a hand over her icy lips, preventing her from parting her lips to shout. WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE? Hana knew it was him, he knew who owned this kind of actions.

 

Both Kris and Hana were facing the four guys who seemed to be so baffled at the moment. The men stared at the young lady, whose eyes were just blinking well and coolly, trapped in a strong man's frame. His right hand over Hana's mouth and his left around her waist, tightly drawing her body in as if to protect her from these young villains.

 

Kris inclined his head to his right, scanning and loving the horror in the eyes of the everyday bastards. "Say, what were you checking on?" Kris calmly interrupted their viewing session in that one swift move he did earlier.

 

The boys trembled and tried answering. "B-b-book... s-storyeu.. b-book, H-hy... hyung." They were clearly stuttering whilst avoiding the dragon's piercing eyes. As soon as he understood what they said, Kris solemnly nodded. "Ah. What book and who wrote it?" They swallowed... hard. Even if they'd try to defend themselves and wreck their brains for answers, just the looks and build of this man was too much for them. "J-jeungmal mianhida." They felt so embarrassed and deeply bowed before rushing out, vowing to never mess with someone taken.

 

"Those fools." Kris chortled and made you turn around with a hold of your shoulders. He shot Hana a glare enough to make other girls bow down for him, yet here she was, with that tranquil mask plastered on. "Just how ignorant are you?" He speculated. Though Hana felt the insult, she didn't get him. She shoved his hands away and took two steps backward, not wanting his existence near or ever anywhere. "Why are you here?"

 

Kris ignored her question too and proceeded on getting the book her sister needed without the use of a stool or anything. Hana's jaw dropped at the cockiness he is forever showing. "Psh. Show off." Hana turned around and planned on changing aisles with the other assistants... yet hearing Kris' question stopped her. "Omonim knows this?"

 

She turned around and gradually shook her head until it became fast. "You don't plan on making her... right?" Hana requested. No she never thought of telling her mother about secretly making money while studying, no, none in the family approves of her doing so. Kris tapped the pink book in his right hand on the shelf, examining it for flaws. Hana waited for his response, but it seemed like he wasn't listening.

"YAH! KRIS!" She boomed. Kris instantly broke his eye contact with the book for Lee Hana. "Let's see, dear Hannah..." Kris hissed, chuckling. "I'm not-" He then grabbed her wrist to shorten the lengthy distance between them, "Sshh. In return, you might as well follow my act?"

 

※ ※ ※

 

"Woah. I survived another two hours." Hana gave herself a mental pat on the back as she gazed at the big clock in the counter that pointed out it was exactly five in the afternoon. "Survived what?" Victoria asked with her eyes glinting in wonder, she also passed Hana's white envelope which contained her second monthly salary. Hana shook her head while grinning at the cash she worked hard for. "Nothing, unnie." She bowed at her.

 

"Oh- your boyfriend is here!" Victoria joked as she glanced at the same man two hours ago entering the store. Hana didn't even care to see too. And no, Victoria doesn't know anything about anything, she just felt like saying so. Don't tell me... "W-who-what?" Hana squinted her eyes at Victoria who was giggling, while also placing the envelope in her small backpack. "Oh I get it, always the same joke." Why does she always do this, anyway? Hana fretted in mind and also joined her Unnie thereafter. 

 

Both of them ended their laughs when they heard someone deeply clear his throat. "She's not joking anymore, Hannah." Hana and Victoria looked up at the fine-looking man whose eyes exhibit how serious he looked at this moment. Hana quickly tore her eyes away from Kris. "Were you-"

 

"So I have not been joking the past two months?" Victoria shrieked, she was totally stunned. Kris' looks were too much for Hana...who is, hmm, actually not near gorgeous for now. "Ani, ani ani. Aniyo, Unnie! It's not what you're thinking!" Hana argued. She continued explaining while Victoria was glancing at Kris from time to time.

 

He didn't mind what she was explaining about nor why she was defending herself, he only looked at Hana in disbelief, smeared makeup, untidy clothes, damp hair and a face covered in sweat. It would be so hard to fall in love with you... wait, no, it would be impossible to. He pondered, very certain about it.

 

※ ※ ※

 

"STOP FOLLOWING ME!" Hana cried as she stopped walking.

 

Kris didn't though. "Where are you going, anyways?" He asked, his legs were all hyped to irritate her. She spun around and realized he was already so close. Her eyes didn't widen though, she just calmly took a step back. "Oh, I guess now I'll just send you to hell~" She sang, Kris' chest compressed, he liked the way she said it even though it was supposed to be mean in everyone's ears. 

 

"Yah." Hana gibed. She smiled later, seeing Kris unresponding or not doing anything to contradict or retaliate. "I guess there's no need? K, bye." She walked off, feeling lighter than before. He's insane, I get it.

 

Hana entered a little night restaurant where people of different kinds love to come and return. It was because of the great food the place offered, and Hana was one to be thanked for that. She bowed at a very wrinkled Ahjumma who seemed to be the owner and at the same time, cashier of the place. "Annyeonghasseyo." Hana greeted; the older woman nodded. "You're early, I'm glad." She noted, and implied the fact that Hana was a late-comer for the past two weekends already.

 

Mrs. Kim wasn't the kindest proprietor nor the most understanding Ahjumma around, she kept everything in control because, well, she pays her workers right so she expects great work and ways from her employees. "Mianhae, I'll..." "...go already, there's a lot of customers so cook well." Mrs. Kim didn't need her explanation today, there's more to converse with other people than hearing the same excuse from Lee Hana.

 

She cooks? Kris smirked, interested. "Neh, arasso." Hana bowed again and grabbed the deep purple apron nearby. Before she could enter the little kitchen, Kris grabbed her bag and sat on a table where the kitchen and anyone in it was in view. "Y-youuuu... Yah! I thought you were goooooone!?" Hana wailed. Kris shook his head whilst he wore the small backpack, Hana had nothing against it, she'll get used to his anyway. "I had nothing better to do, anyway." He muttered and set his eyes on the menu on the table.

 

Before Hana could protest, Mrs. Kim broke in. "Any problem here, Hana?" Hana gulped as she looked at her. "N-nothing at all, Ahjumma." Hana told her, she nodded and turned to Kris, "What about you, young mister?" Kris brought the menu down and smiled at the older woman. "Actually... I want to request something... that has to do with her." He said, eyes showing how he would aggravate Hana until night time.

 

Mrs. Kim didn't understand. "What is it?" Kris grinned and placed a lot of cash in Mrs. Kim's hanging hands. "Can Lee Hannah only cook for me?" The ladies' eyes widened. What the hell is he thinking, now? Hana thought, angered already.

 

Mrs. Kim's mouth hang open at the cash in her hands. Rich boyfriend, huh? She thought. "W-well... she's a good chef so she's needed around... but, yeah, there are a lot more staff...so..." Kris grinned. "Great." He placed another filthy large amount in Mrs. Kim free hand. The old woman was delighted. "Also, may I borrow her for her entire working time?"

 

Mrs. Kim nodded. "Must be so in love, huh?" Kris smirked. What potion did Hana let him drink? She cackled and sat Hana in front of Kris, the younger was stiff. Before she went back to the other customers, she reminded her, "Treat your boyfriend well. He's rare."

 

Rare. Rare??? RARE!? HE'S TAUNTING ME!! Hana thought he and she, Mrs. Kim was were being so senseless and that what was going on the devil's mind was completely absurd. "Kris, what are you doing?" She finally chimed in. "What is this nonsense all about?"

 

This is not nonsense. My image now depends on you. Kris rolled his eyes at her. "You should be grateful, your work is not that loaded today." Hana raised an eyebow at him. Kris sighed before speaking, "As far as I'm concerned, you were so exhausted in the book store... and I'm just being the caring boyfriend I bet to be." 

 

Psh. Boyfriend? Not even funny. "But you're clearly provoking me! How is that good?" She reasoned, she so wanted to cook for hundreds of other customers in a rush than serve this cocky one.

 

She hates guys so much, doesn't she? He only laughed. "Actually, I plan on talking to you about our terms and conditions." He stated, she became so perplexed that she actually wanted to hear it. She wasn't able to sleep well too because of this.

 

"But first... get me this beef stew." He said and motioned her to the kitchen.

 

Hana was left with no options. Even if she'll use all her remaining strength and stamina to argue, she can't win to Kris. His looks were nothing compared to what she inherited. His possessions were not even comparable to what her entire family acquired. She knew that too clearly now.

 

"Fine."

 

"In ten minutes."

 

Hana's eyebrows arched, she gently slammed her fists onto the table. She was so mad that her knuckles neared the color white. "You must be kidding. That takes-"

 

"Do you want me to report you for being a rude worker?" Kris brushed his fingers against her fists, an attempt to calm her. She didn't wan her to erupt any moment from now. That would be so shameful.

 

"Oh, c'mon. I'm not being one." Hana sassed, furiously rolling her eyes.

 

He frowned. "Then do you want me to tell Omonim you're such a bad girlfriend?"

 

"I... shut up." She trudged to the kitchen while Kris enjoyed watching her rolling of eyeballs  cool skills in cooking... something Kris always wanted to do.

 

But try as he might, cooking doesn't love him.