Twenty Four

An Unexpected Boyfriend

 

24.

.,¡i|¹i¡¡i¹|i¡,.
`"¹li¡|¡|¡il¹"`

 

 

"Yes, we did." Kris nodded at her, a slow frown appearing on his lips. In contrast to his calm and collected facade, hers was somewhere between agitated and... loathsome. I thought we were done with the hate?

 

"Why? What is wrong with that...?" His voice trailed off, showing how irritated and disappointed he was now with her outburst.

 

Kris gave a low groan as he placed the bowl of salad down the table. I was happy and then one sec... He saw the clenched fists of Hana and he immediately reached out to touch them, but she recoiled and hid her her fists away from his sight and touch.

 

He glared at her actions and she did the very same. The both of them looked up. Kris' brows twitched at how her eyes were saying: 'don't touch me'. Kris scoffed when she looked away.

 

The both of them had now abandoned watching the ongoing movie.

 

※ ※ ※

 

Hana took uneven breaths as she felt her anger rising up again. Kris' acts were totally bewildering! And to think that they weren't even in the public. But you have to act like his girlfriend. An angelic voice told her in mind. Bottle your angry feelings up for longer!

 

"So this is how you are going to be?" Kris sighed softly as his eyes searched for her okay expressions which were now replaced with dark ones. "A real girlfriend? Wow."

 

"Oh. Kris. Shut. Up." Hana grunted. She watched him rake his blond-and-brown hair and push it back, his creased forehead showing. "I am trying to be. If you haven't recognized, I am doing this act-like-a-real-girlfriend thing." She added quickly.

 

He continued staring at her without saying anything for a couple of seconds. 

 

Then he held her arms and pulled her closer to him. "Then why are you being like this all of a sudden?" He asked, his curious eyes never leaving hers.

 

"You want me to tell you why?" She whispered and finally looked back at him.

 

He nodded with a hint of hesitation, wondering why it sounded more of a threat than a question.

 

"I'm sure you have heard of this big guy but..." Hana paused and looked away for a moment, her teeth clenched. She could not believe she would be saying such things to a guy like Kris.

 

Kris on the other hand, rolled his eyes at the 'big guy'. When Hana's head turned back to him, he quickly resumed to staring at her again.

 

"W-we just had t-this thing c-called... indirectkissandthatsureisgross!" She spoke the last part fast, secretly praying that the words 'indirect kiss' had not escaped .

 

But it was too late. Kris caught all of it. "Yes, Hannah. Indirect kiss." His voice was teasing.

 

Hana gulped before blinking at him. "That... that's... K-Kris just no. D-Don't ever do that again and w-we're cool." She looked away because she was aware of how she had now turned red in embarrassment.

 

Kris smirked at how she had stuttered a couple of times. He also swore that his brain thinks she is quite cute when she reddens.

 

"Why?" It came out breathy because now, he was chuckling and shaking his head.

 

What does he mean with why? She glanced at him and looked away again. And what the hell is he laughing at?

 

Kris hands moved up from her arms to gently cup her cheeks. He bent down and put his flawless forehead against hers. Hana turned stiff all of a sudden... no, numb even. She felt his hot breathing against her skin.

 

What is going on here? She chided mentally. All she could do was stare back at his orbs and wait for him to speak.

 

Kris' mouth fell open. "Do you want the direct one?" He whispered; his nose touching hers, his eyes set on her lips, and his tone so serious.

 

※ ※ ※

 

Hana's eyes grew wide and she jumped from her seat. "Hell no!" She screamed incredulously, staring at Kris in horror. She could not imagine kissing the Kris Wu... ever.

 

Kris guffawed and continued eating the remaining salad as if he just witness one hell of a hilarious act. She just eyed him until he stopped. His eyes were on the television screen now but his smile had not faded.

 

I can't believe him. Hana crossed her arms and strided towards the kitchen. "Tell me if you're done." She mumbled before walking out. She wasn't concerned with the movie she had longed to watch anymore.

 

The sound effects of the action movie were the only thing that could be heard in the Lee's residence. Other than that, the two people in the house had their silence. One was ridiculously happy and one in still struck in awe.

 

A few moments later, Kris ate the last spoonful of salad and he dropped the spoon in the bowl.

 

The movie was nearing the finale when he decided to strain his neck and get a glimpse of the sulking girl in the kitchen who was busying herself with kitchenwork. A grin appeared on his face as if involuntarily or something.

 

He turned back to the TV, only to turn it off because he didn't feel like watching it anymore too.

 

Kris stood up with the bowl in his left hand. He walked towards where his girlfriend was. He called her name when he reached the sink. Hana didn't look up at him when she took the bowl from his hand.

 

"Hey, are you still angry?" He tried reaching for her hand but she pushed it away.

 

"What do you think?" She spat and started washing the bowl and spoon.

 

He sighed dejectedly. "Fine, fine. I won't do it again."

 

"Which one? The indirect kiss or the attempting of the direct one?" She spoke halfheartedly. The harsh Hana was back. Kris smiled. A little part of him was glad... just a little. "Please tell me 'both' because I am telling you, I want that answer." She went on.

 

Kris went behind her and wrapped his long and even-toned arms around her small waist. "Well I don't."

 

What the hell does he mean by that!? Hana tilted her head up to look at him angrily. But he smiled playfully and placed a long kiss on her forehead. She grimaced at him before resuming to what she was doing.

 

Kris laughed a little and placed his chin on the top of her head, making her height a convenient head rest. "Alright I was just kidding. I'll not do both...? I'll not do anything to your sacred lips, ma'am." He rolled his eyes as he spoke, she wouldn't see anyway.

 

Oh wow. He was thinking, she would be the first girlfriend that he hadn't kissed on the lips. Kris blinked and shook the thoughts off.

 

Who was he kidding? These were all just acts! Why would that bother him? There are plenty of girls who would kill just to kiss the almighty Kris Wu. He doesn't know why but it actually did.

 

"Good."

 

And just like that, Kris embraced her tighter and watched her dry the kitchen's counter. She didn't say anything anymore. She already heard what she wanted to hear.

 

The comfortable silence between the fake couple was there again.

 

※ ※ ※

 

"So when we're walking in the hallways, you'll hold on to me like this." Kris lifted their intertwined hands, showing off their couple but she was spacing out. "Hannah?" 

 

She looked up and gave a little grunt as a reply. "Were you listening to what I have been saying?" He cocked his head while asking. She simply nodded.

 

They were outside the house, sitting on the doorstep of the Lee's.

 

Hana wanted to wait for her mother and grandmother because they had texted her that they were on their way home. Kris thought about the last time he sat on the stairs outside a house... that was a very long time. So he accompanied her and they engaged in petty conversations, hand in hand.

 

She didn't show the immense protest she was having but just went along. As much as she would want to destroy his happy state, she can't. She needs to tell herself that she really can't but sometimes she couldn't simply bargain with his doings...

 

...like a while ago.

 

"Hey, I think you really won't notice this until I say it myself." He sighed. She turned to him, now he had her full attention. "Look at our hands." He told her.

 

Hana did as told and realized what he was talking about. She felt him tightening his grip on her hand so she looked up. Kris had his eyes shut as he waited for the worst.

 

Unknown to Hana, he was having a mental countdown to the death of him.

 

One...

 

Two...

 

Three...

 

But it never came.

 

"Uhm... what are you doing?" Hana blinked at him. It was the very first time that she had witnessed him closing his eyes like that. If not for her hate on him, it would've looked absolutely cute albeit it doesn't suit a big guy like him.

 

Kris opened one eye, finding her staring at him lifelessly. She started giggling. "Were you afraid?" She pulled her hand away from his and laughed more hysterically.

 

He opened both of his eyes and cleared his throat. "You're not... angry that we have this couple ring?"

 

When she had calmed down, she smirked. "I was but that kid... I think Luhan is his name?" She clasped both of her hands and looked down at her own ring. "He called the very moment I find out. And we started talking and he told me it was your cheap present from Macau so I guess I played along."

 

Kris' eyes widened. "WHAT!? You talk with Luhan on the phone? That little- when? Why? And what? How did he know? What...what cheap? WHAT THE HELL!" He exclaimed, his voice on a menace.

 

Hana gaped at him. Gee he looked so mad. "Are you perhaps..." Jealous? She was about to ask, or more like mock him but she thought it sounded too absurd for her to say. Because why would he be? She thought that maybe this was his bad exterior showing.

 

"Nevermind." She fibbed. Why do I suddenly feel the need to answer his every query? "I found out when I bathed and yes, I talked with him after that. Hmm... maybe he saw you getting out of the hotel and buying some affordable rings."

 

Now it was her turn to be calm.

 

Kris held her shoulders and he looked at her squarely. "Do you often talk with him- or any of my friends?"

 

Hana shrugged. "They call once in a while-"

 

"Who are 'they'???"

 

Hana pondered for awhile. She wasn't really sure of who among the three. Their voices were still not that familiar to her. But Kris' voice was. "Mostly it's the fat kid and the other kid Luhan...? Sometimes Chen-"

 

"What do you talk about?"

 

Hana stared at him. She placed the back of her hand on his forehead as if checking if he was running a temperature or something. "The hell is wrong with you? I thought I was supposed to get along with your friends? And make all these quick and easy for you?"

 

Kris sighed and held her hand instead, playing with it unconsciously. "Yah yah yah! I never mentioned anything about you talking with other guys-"

 

"Ugh. Other guys? The last time I remember, they are your friends? Or they were?"

 

"I just don't want you being so close-"

 

"What are the lovebirds quarreling about?" That was Mrs. Gong, beside her was Mrs. Lee. Oh wow. The couple were so engrossed in bickering that they didn't even notice that the elders were already staring right in front of them.

 

The two turned to them. Hana gave them a lopsided grin. How could she not see them getting in the closed gates or walking up to them? And Kris too?

 

"Hi, Omonim... and Halmeoni." Kris managed to greet.

 

※ ※ ※

 

"So you're okay with it?" Kris was referring to the couple ring. Hana laughed and ushered him out the gates after an early and delish dinner. It was starting to get dark when he decided to finally go home.

 

She shrugged and gave him his paper bag. "I guess. I'm not going to be drastic anymore, yeah?" She rolled her eyes. He thought I didn't notice until now. So that was why he kept on playing with my right hand...

 

Kris grinned triumphantly and grabbed her without warning. He hugged her tightly and she made no effort in pushing him away. But she didn't hug him back, though. "Although it's cheap..." She joked and laughed against his chest.

 

Kris felt warm. "Hey! Hannah, listen to me. That Luhan was just..."

 

"I'm kidding. It's beautiful, honestly." She remarked and grinned at him. "The price doesn't matter." At least you got me something. And for the very first time in front of him, she showed her rare all-smiling and understanding side.

 

So she actually knew. Kris nodded and kissed the top of her head. Who would have thought?