The Call

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

I started dialing when I walked out into the hallway.

“Wei, Kalyn?”

“Kris, it’s me.”

“It is? Oh my-“ his voice broke off. “I heard all about the earthquake. You’re alright?”

“I’m fine, but Ma and Ba aren’t.” I glanced back into their room, then took a deep breath. “I’m with them at the hospital. Things aren’t looking good. They both have broken limbs and injuries to their chest. Ma told me…” I swallowed. “Ma asked if you could take care of me while they’re both recovering.”

“Me? I’m…” his voice trailed off.

We both knew the reality. Kris’s parents were in Canada, and they were the only close relations to my parents. Nai nai and Pou pou were both old and widowed-it wasn’t fair to give them a child as a responsibility when they were nearing the end of their years. We weren’t that close to second or third cousins. Kris was our only choice.

“I know you may think I’ll be in your way, but I’ve learned how not to be a burden,” I told him. “I can also help you around the house. I have my own money-“

“It’s not that, Kalyn,” Kris interrupted. “I know you won’t be a problem. It’s that if the others will agree.”

“Others?!” Then my mind started working again. “Wait, you mean the group you said you started working with?”

“Yeah. We live together, like a dorm. I’m sure management won’t mind once I explain the situation, but I don’t know about the other guys, and they’re all out right now. When do I have to get back to you?”

“As soon as possible?” I suggested. “I mean, I have no place to live right now.”

“Okay. Don’t worry, Kalyn, I’m going to get you out of there, no matter what it takes. Hang in there, ok?”

“Okay.”

“I'll call, I promise. Bye bye!”

“Bye bye.” I hung up the phone just as Dr. Ling walked in my direction.

“Done?” she said with a smile.

“Yes-um, excuse me,” I said hurriedly as she started to walk into the room. “I was wondering, well with this earthquake and all, is there any place I can stay? I know both of my parents were home at the time of the disaster, and if they’re in this condition-“

“I understand,” Dr. Ling said with a smile. “Well, we do have benches here outside the room. You could sleep here until you find a better place. I’m sorry we can’t offer anything more.”

“Thank you.” She nodded and walked in.

I sat down on the bench. It wasn’t that bad. The seat was cushioned, not like the hard wooden types. I put my backpack to the side and the next thing I knew, I was floating into darkness, the bag under my head and Yin Yang still clasped in my arms.