Let Your Heart Speak

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

“Wei?”

“KALYN!!” I winced and held the phone away from ringing ear. “I HEARD YOU WERE OUT OF THE HOSPITAL!”

“Good grief, Sherry, tone it down! Just because I broke my leg doesn’t mean I’m deaf!”

“Sorry!” She squeaks. “But anyway, since you’re finally released from the hospital, Yinna and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out today. I mean, since school is going to be closed for another week and all…”

“Sure. I mean, I’m just sitting around at my house. I need to practice walking anyway.”

“Oh right, your cast! Actually, we were thinking of walking around the city…” I could imagine her biting her lip anxiously. “Maybe we shouldn’t go with your crutches and all.”

“Actually I have a boot. It’ll be fine. Where are we meeting?”

“Are you sure? I-“

“Sherry, cut to the chase. I said it was fine. So, what’s the plan?”

“We’re meeting at my workplace at four in the afternoon, just right after my shift ends. Sorry, it’s such a short notice and all, but my parents have got something planned for the next few days.”

“You need to stop apologizing. It’s not very attractive,” I joked.

There was silence over the phone. “Sherry?”

“Oh my god, Kalyn, you just MADE a joke! What happened? Is it a guy?”

“No, no, I’m just in a better mood for some reason.” Immediately my voice turns sour as her last question reverberates in my mind. I looked at the clock. Noon had arrived, and I hadn’t eaten lunch yet. “I got to go. I’ll see you then, okay?”

“Okay, bye!”

I hang up and I looked around the apartment, trying to shake away the insecure feelings inside of me. With the apartment empty of people, I felt so…small. Helpless too, as I limped around with my heavy boot, making low thuds every time I walked with my right foot.

I checked my purse. Phone, wallet, keys, everything I needed was in there. Kris had made sure I had plenty of money until they got back. When I protested, he just waved me away with the reasoning, “We’re family.”

I rolled my eyes as I remembered. How much did celebrities make anyway these days? I bet Kris would just laugh if I asked and reply that he was just getting started. But still, the amount he gave me was probably twice the starting salary most people were offered.

I limped out to the elevators and pressed the down button. Suddenly the idea of me eating lunch alone was daunting. When did I get so scared? Then the image of the several guys surrounding me outside the apartment flashed in my mind. Of course I had every right to be scared. Without another thought, I took out my phone and dialed.

“Wei?”

“Yinna? This is Kalyn.”

“Oh hi! Did Sherry call you?”

“Yeah. I was just wondering…well, did you eat lunch yet?”

“Not yet.”

“Well, do you want to eat lunch with me?”

“Sorry, Kalyn. My mother is making lunch already.”

“Oh. Well, I guess then-“

“Why don’t you eat with us? My brother got called to an impromptu meeting with his classmates for exams and he’s having lunch elsewhere. My mother is kinda going ballistic over wasting food, and you would help my brother and I keep our sanity.”

“Are you sure she wouldn’t mind?”

“MA!” I heard her call out in the background. “Can I invite my friend over for lunch? She’s going to shop with us. No, not Sherry. Yes, the new girl. Okay, okay.” She went back on the phone. “She’s delighted, in fact.”

“Sweet. I’ll need your address though.”

About twenty minutes later, I pressed the doorbell and prayed that I had arrived at the right place.

“Kalyn! Come in!” Yinna greeted me when she opened the door and ushered me through.

“Sorry it took so long! I got lost on the subway,” I said while I took off my shoes.

“No problem! Ma, she’s here!”

A woman stepped out of the kitchen. Immediately, I could see the resemblance. Their faces were exactly the same, except that Yinna had a shorter nose and her cheeks were slightly sharper. “Kalyn! I’ve heard so much about you.”

“Hello, Auntie,” I said, shaking her offered hand. “Thank you for inviting me over for lunch.”

“No problem! Now if you will excuse me, I need to finish cooking.” She winked and walked back into the kitchen, closing the door behind her.

“Sorry for the mess, we’ve been rummaging through the house these several days trying to find and reorganize things,” Yinna apologized as we walked past some messy stacks of books, loose paper, and boxes. “Anyway, want to come to my room for a second?”

“Sure.” We walked into a hallway and she opened the second door on the left.

I entered the room to find the walls covered magnificently. There were printed pictures, collages, ripped pages out of calendars and magazines, and sometimes original pieces of art. “Wow.”

“I like to brainstorm here. This is what happens when I see something and I find a place for it.”

“It’s beautiful. When I get a studio, I’m going to try out your method.” I stopped by a picture of a couple sitting on a deck, their heads resting on each other. “I really like the smoked glass effect.”

“Picture editors. I was playing around with them. Speaking of that picture, there’s something I want to talk about.” She took a deep breath as she started to twiddle her thumbs. “I know we discussed this and that it’s a sensitive subject…but are you sure you don’t like Tao?”

“Tao? Of course I don’t like him. He’s everything I’m not looking for.” I crossed my arms.

“But that’s because you’re not looking. Give him a chance, Kalyn. I don’t think you see what we’re seeing.”

“Try me.”

“Whenever I or Sherry walk into a room that Tao’s in, he automatically starts looking around. If he sees you, he automatically lights up, even if he doesn’t approach you. When the ceiling collapsed at school, everyone saw him pick you up and rush you to the nurse’s office. He really cares about you, Kalyn, but you don’t give him the chance.”

I sighed and sat down on her bed. “It’s…more complicated than that.”

“Try me.”

I looked up to see Yinna give me a defiant look as she echoed my previous words. “I know more about Tao than you think I do. But he’s pushy. I can’t have a guy dominate me.”

“There’s a slight difference between dominating and caring, but caring is definitely something you want in a guy. And how would you know this? Every time I see Tao, in school and on TV, he’s passive.”

I shook my head. “I’m not at liberty to tell you.”

“Kalyn…”

“I would love to let you know, Yinna, but I can’t. I know you’re a good friend who is able to keep secrets. But if anyone finds out, I’m not the only one who would be in serious trouble.” I sighed. “I’m not even supposed to be here. But here I am, living a secretive life. I’m really sorry…that some of the things you know about me are lies or assumptions I let you have. But this is the matter of survival for me.” My bracelet seemed to grow heavy on my arm, as if it was reminding me that my words were true in more ways than I originally intended it to be.

Yinna opened to reply, but at that moment her mother called, “Lunch is ready!”

I stood up from the bed, but Yinna’s look prevented me from walking past her. “I’m not going to tell you how to live your life, that’s your decision,” she said softly. “But just for one second, try listening to your emotions instead of your rational reasoning.”

I followed her to the dining room where Yinna’s mother had prepared delicious dumplings and congee. The smell made my mouth water. But Yinna’s words kept rolling around in my head, almost making me lose my appetite. Did I even know what my mind thought?

What did my heart say?

[A\N] So there you have it, a massive chapter! (Photo isn't mine, cred. to the owner)

IDK when I'm going to update soon...winter break is so short >.<

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE BTW!!! ^_^

I'm going to drink hot choclate with my pet rock and he enjoys his first snowfall with me. (My blog if you want to see a pic of him.)

SEE Y'ALL SOON! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!