First Class: Feeling Weak #1

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

The moment I stepped into my first class, I knew I hated being a new student. Being with other people where we all didn’t know each other was bad enough, but in my case I was the only one who didn’t know anyone. Everyone else had their own little bubbles, and I was the pin, unsure how to get in without causing a disturbance.

“Okay, children, settle down,” announced a deep voice. Everyone settled in their seats except me. There were a number of empty seats in the last row, but I didn’t know which one to take.

The teacher, a man with beady eyes behind his glasses, peered at me. “And you are…”

“Wu Kai Lian. I just moved here.”

“Ah yes, Wu Kai Lian. I am Mr. Zhou. Just sit over there, and if you have any questions about today’s class you can ask me later.” He waved his hand, dismissing me to a corner.

I sat down and listened to his lecture, only to realize I had learned the lesson before school let out for spring break. Immediately, I took out my sketchbook, mindlessly doodling as I heard him drone on and on about familiar concepts.

“First you look at the unit circle…” Doodle, doodle. I drew some curves.

“Now you must covert the degrees to radians…” Scrit, scratch. My hand moved in small, vertical motions.

“No, no, where is your mind? Look over your notes once again. Wu Kai Lian, can you answer the question?”

“The arccosine is pi over six, therefore A is twenty-seven.”

“Very good.” He gave me an approving nod as he passed on by, quizzing the student behind me.

I looked down at my sketchpad to realize I had drawn an eye. It was narrow like a cat’s but the eyebrow that accompanied it proved it was human. It seemed familiar…

The bell rang, and with it the class came alive. Papers flew as my fellow classmates closed their notebooks too quickly. Chairs screeched across the floor as several students left their desks, loudly talking about their next class and their daily lives. I immediately closed my sketchbook and put it back in my bag.

“Wu Kai Lian, please come here!” Mr. Zhou called over the cacophony.

As I walked over, my bag slung over my shoulder, I could hear snippets of conversation from my classmates. “Look, that’s the new girl…” “…do you think she is…” “Don’t be ridiculous! We claim seniority…” “…just look at her. You have nothing to worry about.” As expected, the subject of their discussion was me.

I glanced at them, just enough to make them silent for a while. Just because I tried to conceal my insecurities by making my face unreadable didn’t mean I was deaf. They paused, their face slightly abashed. I turned back to the desk in front of me. “Yes, Mr. Zhou?”

He handed me a textbook. “You’ll need that to do homework for tonight and for next week’s quiz. I assume you’ll be one of those students who try to do their best.”

“Thank you Mr. Zhou.” I turned to leave for my next classroom.

“Wait a minute, Wu Kai Lian!” I faced him again.

He judged me with his stern eyes with a well-knowing look. “You are a new student, but you have already gotten a good start in my classroom. If you ever feel hopeless, just remember most of us here want you to succeed.”

“Thank you, Mr. Zhou.” I nodded my thanks and fled the room.

Right when I exited the room, girls crowded me. “So, Wu Kai Lian, welcome to our school,” a girl said with a sneer on her face. “Aren’t you a lucky girl, having Tao as your tour guide and getting on your first teacher’s good side?”

I just looked at her, trying to keep my eyes blank. As I scrutinized her, I realized my intruder was Hua Shang. What was that girl trying to get at? She already had gotten her autographs, and clearly by the crowd around her, she also achieved a position of a status.

She uncrossed her arms to shove me against a wall. “Well, we’ll make sure your luck changes,” she said sweetly. “We wouldn’t want a goddess around here lecturing us?”

“Isn’t that what you’re doing?” I asked, lifting an eyebrow.

Hua Shang’s face transformed, a pleasant mask showing its true nature. A wolf, baring its teeth, now stood over me. “You dare to talk back!”

I shrugged. “My parents gave me a mouth. It was there decision, not yours.”

I saw her hand come up and I turned my head. I flinched, waiting for the harsh slap of her hand on my cheek.

But the impact never came. I opened my eyes to see Tao standing behind the girl. His eyes were blazing, and almost seemed to glow with a blue color. He focused his gaze on me.

“Go. Find your friends.”

His voice was clear with his first simple command, but when he said “friends” his voice started to waver. I looked at him to see him shaking, whether it was from anger or fear I could not tell. I didn’t dare to hesitate any further and slipped out of Hua Shang’s grasp. I took my first step away from both of them, than another one, my pace accelerating until I was breaking out into a run.

I ran to my next class, art class. I focused on the hope that Yinna would be there and make Tao’s job easier. As I passed by other people, frozen like wax statues, I wondered why I was running. Was I such a coward?

My memory of Tao’s strained look spurred me on.

[A/N] SASSY GIRL!

That was a close call.

We’ll see what’s coming next.

Sorry guys, I don’t really have a lot to spazz about…I’m mostly tired and trying to make myself normal. Which I haven’t been, but that’s okay.

As long as I’m not going too crazy, I’m fine.

I just hope the rest of my high school life isn’t like this.

But fine, one little picture spazz:

COME ON LOSER IT'S TIME TO GO XD