Trouble Always Seems to Find Me

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

[A/N] Hi guys! So for all of those impatient readers going "WTH SHE ISN'T UPDATING" (yes you) it's not just you, it's also me >.< SO while I am still "patiently" waiting for my friend to have a look at the chapter, I'm going to upload what I already have. Yeah I'm not very patient >.<

SO if you guys want a VERY clean written piece of work, I can't promise this is it. HOWEVER, I did take out all the awkward wording/punctuation that I could catch. If you find anything that you feel like could be reworded, please COMMENT.

I'm probably going to update this chapter later too when I get my friend's comments/changes so if you rather much see that, COMMENT and I'll let you know through your newsfeed when it's updated. I know it's a pain to always check your profile to see if any of your favorite authors has anything to say, but I don't want to disturb the rest of you who are already satisfied and create false hopes.

UPDATE: It's been corrected! WHOOH! Yeah only like a few mistakes, not  a big deal but still. 

You also probably noticed I didn't delete the teaser chapter. It's because a) I'm too lazy or b) The macros are too glorious to take down. Sorry guys. Future readers, feel free to beat me over the head if you wish to. I may or may not comply with your demands XD

ANYWAYS ONWARDS!

***

“Wei?”
“Kalyn! You were supposed to call me last night!” My mother’s irritated voice answered me. I rolled my eyes. Ma usually calls me if there’s something urgent or she’s irritated. No wonder I put Super Junior’s Miracle as her ringtone.
“Sorry Ma, yesterday was overwhelming, so I went to sleep early.” I stifled back a yawn. My alarm had woken me up in the middle of a dream, making me clueless and bleary-eyed. After sitting in my dim room, replaying last night’s events in my head, I snapped back to life when my stomach gave a mighty growl. I shut the rice cooker lid and pressed the cook button, making sure the right setting was on.
“Did you eat yet?”
“I’m making congee right now.”
“You’re making breakfast?” Shock was eminent in her voice.
“Ma! It’s my way of proving to be useful.” Until I figured out how my power works. Besides, she made me sound like I couldn’t do anything for my life. “Are you feeling better?”
“Yes dear. My arm was put into a cast yesterday. They’re going to check out my ankle later today. Do you make lunch too?”
“I haven’t yet. Kris made it yesterday,” I lied. I had a feeling my mother wouldn’t like the idea of me living with six other guys, let alone ones with mythical powers. I had no idea how I would eventually break the news to her. “Is Ba doing better? Did they give you crutches?”
“The doctors have set his broken ribs, but he hasn’t woken up yet. His vital signs are doing well though. And why would they give me crutches? I have a broken arm! Now listen, Kalyn, if you meet any of Kris’s friends, be polite but be on guard. You don’t know what young men are doing these days.”
See what I mean? “Yes, Ma.”
I zoned out as she lectured on how university students sometimes lost their careful ways, especially after drinking. “How’s Kris?”
I glanced at the door to his room. It was still closed. “He’s good, but he works late shifts. He’s still sleeping.” Well, I didn’t know when he came home last night. As I got out seven bowls to serve the congee in, I wondered what Kris and the rest of them were working on, and if every day was like this.
“Oh that poor child. Tell him Auntie said hi and is really grateful that he’s hosting you.”
“I will Ma. I miss home.” The last part slipped out unintentionally.
My mother sighed. “Kalyn, you’re almost an adult. It’s about time you get to see other parts of the world and get used to making other places your home. Besides, you will be able to return once the city is rebuilt.”
“Yes Ma.”
“I have to go, honey. The nurses have come to take me away. Make sure you eat and sleep enough.” Darn, she must have heard my yawn.
“Okay Ma. You make sure you eat and sleep enough too.”
“I will honey. Bye bye.”
“Bye bye.” I hung up, then sat down and sighed. At that moment, I would have given anything to talk to my mother face to face. Talking through the phone just didn’t seem real enough.
“Your mother?”
I jumped, then turned to see Tao. I had gotten used to the silence of the kitchen.  “Yeah. Good morning.”
“Good morning. Sorry if I scared you. I have a habit of walking around silently.”
“It’s okay. Did you get enough sleep?”
He shrugged. “I slept. What are you making?”
“Congee. It needs another forty minutes until it’s done.”
He nodded, his face lighting up a little. “I’ll guess I’ll take a walk while I wait.” And before I could say anything, he was out of the door.
Jerk. He could have asked me if I wanted to come.
I sighed and looked at my room. There still a huge pile of shopping bags from yesterday. Well, I had time to kill.
Twenty filled clothing racks, twelve neatly folded shopping bags, two pairs of shoes, two organized shoe boxes, one tightly packed desk drawer, and one cleaned out school bag later, I emerged from my room. I glanced at the kitchen and while moving towards the rice cooker to see if it was done, the dryer beeped.
I jumped, then shook my head. Geesh, scared by an electronic appliance? Get it together girl!
A look at the door made me realize it was full, and waiting to fill the laundry baskets nearby. I sighed and got all the clothes, organizing by which article they were. Socks with socks, shirts with shirts, pants with pants, underwear with underwear, etc. Ooh, the last part was probably a little bit TMI, sorry. But hey, it’s a fact of life.
When they were all in piles, I grabbed out all of my clothing and went back to my room. Yup, I had to rearrange all my clothing racks and that drawer in my desk.
Finally the rice cooker started beeping. I opened the lid and started spooning out bowls. When all of them were filled, steam flowing into my face, I grabbed one and the sugar jar. Ten minutes and one burned tongue later, I was finished with breakfast.
Hey, a girl with a sweet tooth and an empty stomach can eat fast.
After I finished washing my bowl and spoon, I found myself staring at the sink. What was I going to do now? There was nothing left in this apartment for me to do.
The sound of snoring made me look at the hallway. Well, okay, I could wake up the guys, but it seemed like they returned really late last night. And honestly, I was getting tired of the housekeeper job.
Without another thought, I grabbed my wristlet, shoved my phone into it, checked to see if my keys and smart card were there, and walked out of the apartment.
The rush of warm air that greeted me at the door both made me feel caged and free. The sight of the city around me made me smile in anticipation.
I walked down the street, taking in the sights. Some middle aged men sat on the curbs, fanning themselves, some of them smoking as they talked about politics. Typical. Bored looking saleswomen sat near their advertisements about houses with sky-high prices. An old man was manning his newspaper stand as some people looked through the magazines. A food stand gave enticing smells of freshly made omelets. Taxi drivers beeped at slow cars and pesky cyclists and pedestrians. Well, pesky in their view.
I wandered into a random store, and closed my eyes in satisfaction as the cold AC hit me. As I opened my eyes, flashy displays of art supplies greeted me. I smiled at the sheer coincidence, and proceeded to browse through the aisles.
“Do you need help?”
I looked up from the shelf of pastels I had been examining, startled by the voice as I had gotten myself immersed into all the different choices. A girl about the similar height looked at me with friendly eyes. She gasped. “You’re the girl who got Tao as a tour guide!”
I blinked. “Excuse me?” Was my new name now The Girl Who Had Tao as a Tour Guide?
“I’m sorry. I’m Chen Shenmi, but I go by Sherry.” She held out her hand. “We go to the same school.”
I shook it. “I’m Wu Kai Lian, but I go by Kalyn.”
“Cool! So Kalyn, what brings you here?”
“I lived in Shen Ling, until the earthquake came. I’m living with my cousin, who lives here. That’s why I had to transfer schools.” For some reason, only partial truths came out.
She grimaced. “Did you see the earthquake?”
I nodded, my throat clogging up. The last thing I wanted was to be reminded of what happened.
“Well, at least you’re safe here.” She brightened. “So, what do you think of Tao?”
I shrugged. “He seems pretty nice.” Except for this morning, my inner voice snapped.
“Nice? That’s all?” Sherry shook her head. “Sorry, I should explain. Do you know EXO-M?”
“I’ve heard of them…”
“Heard? They are going to be the hottest thing on this planet!” She squealed, then looked around. “I should get back to work, but we should totally talk some more. Do you want to have lunch together at noon?”
“Sure. I mean, I don’t think my cousin would mind.” Well, maybe after he promised to kill me for sneaking out.
“Awesome. There’s a great place with really good dumplings across the street.” I mentally noted the details that Sherry babbled on. “Anyway, got to go, but if you need help, you can just find me!” She disappeared into the separate aisles.
Right before I could reply, a stern looking man passed by, scrutinizing me before moving on. I shuddered at the thought of him being my boss. If he looked this hostile to a customer, I didn’t want to know how he treated his workers.
At that moment my phone beeped, and I froze. Taking a shaky breath, I took it out of my wristlet pocket. A text message from Kris.
“Where are you? Actually, forget it, I don’t want to know. Make sure you stay around the area and call me if you have any problems. Don’t come back to the apartment until 1.”
Hmm, don’t come back. That was weird. I had expected a command to come back immediately or something.
Suddenly, I became nauseous, a shudder racking through my body. I gripped a shelf, grimacing, letting my eyes flutter close. Instead of a darkness embracing me, a blurry image came up. I could make out some men wearing face masks, only revealing their eyes. They were pointing guns in all directions.
When I opened my eyes, through the window I saw a gray van pull up. A door opened and revealed a masked man, like the one I saw in my vision.
Immediately, I took my phone and dialed for the police.