The Way Back

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

I stepped out of the cavern, feeling the power flow from my bracelet into my body and vice versa. It was strange, like I had gained an extra limb or something. It was new, but not unnatural.

 “Hey.”

I turned to see Tao waiting by the doorframe. “Hey! You’re awake.”

“Yeah. Chen brought me here.” He smiled. The bags underneath his eyes were less noticeable now. “How was the talk with the tree?”

“Great. Look, I have a bracelet with my own symbol!” I showed him my arm. “Now I’m just like you guys.”

“You were always one of us,” he replied calmly.

“Well, more like you guys. Whatever.” I dropped my arm. “Where are the others?”

“Testing their physical capabilities. Lay said it would be better if I didn’t join since I just slept, so who knows how my power is doing with my body recovering.” He shrugged. “I’m supposed to you back when you’re finished.”

“Okay. Can you teach me how to find this place?” I asked as I followed him out of the hideout.

Tao looked at me. “I use visual cues-“ he started to say, uncertain.

“Perfect! I’m a visual learner. Lead the way, sir!” I gave a mock salute to him.

He flashed another grin, wider than the one he showed me when he met me at the door of Shifu’s cavern. “Alright then.”

We started walking. Tao opened the door and held it open for me. Gravel crunched underneath our feet as we walked out of the headquarters. Soon, we were walking from the abandoned areas of the city to more civilized areas.

“See that?” he pointed to the east. “That temple? It’s the only kind with a green roof around here. When you come up the hill, you walk in the direction of that roof.”

I nodded and followed him as he went down the path.

“Do you see that mountain?” He pointed out into the horizon.

I turned. “No…”

“Maybe you have to come closer,” he suggested.

I walked over, aligning my eyes with his arm. “Still don’t see anything.”

Tao lifted an eyebrow, but then he bent his knees and looked in the same direction. “Ahh, no wonder. You’re too short to see it.”

I huffed out a breath. “Well, thanks a lot.”

“That can be easily remedied.” Without a warning, he bent down and scooped me up in my waist.

I gave a small squeal. “What are you doing??”

“Giving you a boost.” His strong arms didn’t falter as he held me up. “Now look.”

I turned in the direction he had pointed. “Ooh, now I see it! It looks like an old man with a beard.”

With a grunt, he put me down from his firm grip. “Now you get it. When you see that mountain, you turn right if you’re going to headquarters, left if you’re leaving.”

“How is that going to help me though?” I put my arms on my hips. “If I have to go by myself, I won’t be able to see it!”

Tao shrugged, but I could see that he was trying to suppress a grin, his shoulders shaking from the effort.

“Hey!” I slapped his arm. “That wasn’t funny!” I pouted, that only made him shake more. Finally he cracked up, his laugh a cheerful crackle in the quiet air of the evening. The sun had already started sinking beyond the horizon. The sky was changing from a hearty pumpkin orange color to a dark, serene purple.

“Okay, okay,” he said, trying to calm down, holding up his hands in surrender as I threatened to hit him again. “I have an idea.” He took out a pocket blade and went to a nearby tree. He started carving into its trunk. I stood behind him, wondering what he was doing. When I moved to get a better look, he moved in my direction to block my view. I grumbled as I waited for him to finish his surprise.

“Done!” He shut his blade and wiped off the sawdust from his hands, stepping away from the tree.

I walked over to take a look. “’Where the bearded old man mountain stands. For a little girl.’ Thanks, it’s so eloquent and touching.”

“You’re welcome.” He put the blade back into his pocket. “Although maybe your landmark now is the tree with words on its trunk instead of the mountain.”

“Works either way then.”

We continued walking, as Tao kept pointing out things along the way. He pointed out signs, weird buildings, but mostly at natural formations like boulders and plants. Finally we arrived at the apartment.

“Got most of the things we passed by?” He asked as he pushed the button for the elevator.

“I think so.” I rubbed my head, trying to replay the images he showed me. “I might need one more run-through though before I try venturing on my own. Especially if it snows.”

“We don’t usually go out in bad weather. It’s only if we have an urgent mission to complete or either Chen or Xiumin needs to recharge.”

“Good to know.” I walked into the elevator as the doors slid open.

Tao followed me. “By the way,” he asked calmly, “what did I miss at school today?”

“Nothing much. At least, I didn’t notice anything important.” I shrugged. “Well, maybe besides the detention in history, but no one really cares.”

“Good.” He looked to the doorway, and a silence ensued. I looked at the advertisement hanging beside him. Was it awkward? I couldn’t tell, but I didn’t feel like answering the need of conversation. Tao’s still figure seemed to agree with me. The lack of sound continued as the elevator doors opened and we walked to our apartment.

He unlocked the door and some lights. I switched shoes at the mat as he did the same. He started headed off to his room when I said, “Tao?”

He turned. His eyes had darkened with the lack of light. Shadows made his jaw stand out, both softening and accenting the sharpness of his features.

I opened my mouth to speak, but the question wouldn’t come out. My mind went blank. Instead, I cleared my throat. “Um, good night.”

His eyes seemed to be searching mine, but all he did was nod. “Good night.”

[A\N] Oooh skinship! :P

I guess skinship is kind of a big deal everywhere, but netizens make a BIG deal about it with idols. Although whenever I hear the word skinship, I think of someone touching someone else’s stomach. Which is DEFINITELY a big deal. Well, maybe it’s just me. But I love hugs! I’m like a puppy apparently.

I hope you guys aren’t getting comfortable, because you’re in for a surprise if you are. –shrugs- Just a warning.

Oh god this Thanksgiving break. I got 5 ideas for story this week alone. FREAKING FIVE!!! Well I think one is definitely going to be on the backburner and I’ll just go to that one if I have nothing else to write. One I just finished as a oneshot (although I’ve only posted the foreword and description so far.) And the others I’m just trying to develop before I post, because otherwise there’s that expectation of updating, ya know?

Yeah I can’t really handle writing multiple fanfics. I’ve only handled two fics at once so far, I think. How many have you guys handled, if you write?

And now, the photos as I’ve promised!

Woohyun requested by Kakurine039:

\

Sorry if you have seen these photos before! I just liked them...-shrugs- Mianhe I'm not a hardcore Infinite fan! OTL

Anyway, Kakurine039 got it right, Lay is my EXO-M bias! I have seriously no idea why I’m writing about Tao instead of Lay. Maybe it’s because Tao isn’t my bias, therefore I feel like I have more creative liberty with him? IDK, Lay is just so multi-faceted. Like he acts shy, but you see his open side through his child star videos and he occasionally blurts out TMI stuff. I'm not sure if I could handle such a dynamic character yet...

Seriously though I think Tao is the first idol I've written a major, chaptered fanfic for who's NOT been my bias. Well, except for my first fanfic, but that doesn't count because Key is just such the diva and Simon and Martina were the main focuses. I think. Gah it's been a long time.

Anyway, the offer is still up for whoever guess my EXO-K bias! Or I could just leave it for other people if I write an EXO-K fic...

See ya guys soon!