Homecoming

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

The plane finally landed and I let out a relieved breath. My first flight wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. But there was something else I was looking forward to besides being on land again. I impatiently drummed the fingers on the strap of my bag as I waited in line to exit the airplane.

“Ma! Ba!” I felt the tension leave my face as I saw the familiar faces of my parents. A large weight I had been carrying for a long time left me as I ran towards them, hugging them into a large embrace.

When I finally pulled back, I noticed my mother’s face was covered in tears. I wiped them away, trying not to cry as well. “Ma, you’re looking so much better. You haven’t aged at all. How’s your arm?”

“Doing well! I’m still doing therapy though. It’s hard to twist my arm now.”

I smiled and gave her another hug, then turned. “Ba! You look so much better.”

“I’m glad to hear that from my sweetheart.” He tucked a stray hair behind my ear. “Look at you! You’re almost a woman now. You don’t need us anymore.”

“Don’t be silly, I’ll always need you guys. Anyway, I’m back now.” My nose crinkled as a new onslaught of tears came. Me? A woman? I took my suitcase back into my hand. “How’s our new house? I can’t wait to see the place.”

“Wait, you’re staying here?” Ma gave me a weird look as we started walking. “I thought you got accepted into Beijing’s Xinhua University.”

“I did, but I’m taking a semester off to come back home and see the world. Almost all the Shen Ling kids that evacuated are doing the same thing. Plus it gives me time to phase out of my internship.” I put my suitcase into the trunk.

“Ah yes, your internship! How is it?” Ma asked as we got into the car.

“Great! They’re sending me to Korea and Japan in a few weeks since I already finished my tour in China, so that when my university leave is done, I have already visited the targeted places. My mentor Mr. Sheng said one of my works got into the final pool last time, so I could probably get my works showcased the next round.”

“That’s great honey!”

“Do you just look at art when you go to those different places?” Ba asked as he pulled out of the airport parking lot.

“No, I probably spend only four hours a week doing that. The reason for touring is to get the feel of that place, like its culture and troubles. I often just roam around the streets, taking pictures and photos. They gave me a camera. Do you guys want to see?” I dug into my bad and took out my camera and put it into viewer mode.

As I handed it to Ma, she looked down at my hands. “What’s that bracelet on your arm? And that ring too. Does your work require projects in jewelry as well?”

I looked down at my yin-yang bracelet and EXONE ring. Even though I didn’t get as many fear impulses as before, I still wore them every day, just in case. In fact, they almost became part of me. I had forgotten my parents had never seen them. “Oh, they’re presents from my friends when we graduated,” I lied.

“Are they EXO fans?”

I almost choked out of shock. “What?”

“The rink looks like a ring Kris wears. Which reminds me, did you go around bragging you were his cousin?”

“No! I know better than that! Besides, I didn’t even know he was part of EXO. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because you wouldn’t have cared,” Ba interjected as he pulled up into a parking garage. “You were so into Super Junior anyway.”

I sighed. “True. So how do you like the pictures?”

“Very thoughtful. You always had a natural talent for looking at things the right way.” Ma handed the camera back as we got out of the car.

“Well you guys did encourage that.” I got my suitcase out and followed my parents to the elevator. “Wow, this place is nice.” It had the smell of a new building.

“Almost as nice as Kris’s place in Beijing?” Ma asked, raising an eyebrow skeptically.

“Maybe even better. Their apartment was probably built…six years ago? So it’s aging.” The doors opened and we filed out. A window greeted us in the hallway. “Wow, you guys have a nice view too.”

“Why should we live in a place of bad memories?” Ba said as he went to the right. “Thank god the apartment company reimbursed us and we could move to this place.”

“Even after all the hospital bills?” I winced at my tactless question.

Ba winked. “You forget that your father has connections, including brilliant lawyers.”

My blood ran cold. “So was my internship rigged?”

He shook his head as Ma unlocked the door. “Oh, no, not at all. You know we would never do something so corrupt like that. Besides, your Ma learned from a friend and signed you up when I was out on anesthesia, getting my second surgery. I know it’s hard to get jobs here these days without your parents’ help, but we were confident you could hold your own.”

I smiled, relieved. “Thanks, Ba.” I stepped into the hallway and put on slippers. “Wow!”

The place had been decorated with many painting and ornaments. “Did you guys get a professional designer?”

“Nope, your Ma did everything by herself,” Ba said, putting an arm around Ma’s shoulder affectionately.

She swatted at his arm. “Only because this annoying man was about to throw them away. Sheesh, can’t a woman have time?”

I laughed at their banter, realizing how much I had missed it while I was gone. Deep down, I knew I was home.

But then again, I wasn’t. As I lay on my new bed with Yin Yang (only because the silly panda wouldn’t stop bugging me to come with me), which smelled like the familiar lilac scent Ma always bought for her detergent, I realized Ba was right. I was an adult now, and I didn’t really need my parents. They weren’t the most important component in my life anymore. They didn’t even know about EXO and EXONE, which was my world now. And even if I had given up my power, there would have been no going back.

And for some reason, the thought didn’t make me break down into tears. Instead, it just settled like an annoying stone in the bottom of heart, the same way truth always does.

[A/N] When I grow up, I want to be…a kid. XD

Growing up is depressing. Can you imagine losing your parents? Awful. (And to those of you who have lost your parents, I’m so sorry. I feel for you. I haven’t lost a parent yet, but I saw how my mother cried for months after my grandfather died. I just…yeah. My heart goes out to you.)

Although I guess becoming a parent might be exciting. Gah can you see me as a mother? “Mom, what’s this site called Asianfanfics-“ “DARLING NO DON’T GO ON THERE” XD

On the topic of Kalyn’s dad rigging the internship, I think it actually happens a lot in China. Well, maybe not rigging and bribery, but it’s nearly impossible to get a job in China these days without the help of your parents. That’s why a lot of Chinese people want to go to other countries where it’s easier to get a job without contacts. Trust me, my relatives lectured me on this stuff. Although I guess when they means jobs, they mean good paying ones where you can build a career.

I apologize that this wasn't posted yesterday, I was really busy during lunch. But hey, my mom's laptop is finally letting me access Asianfanfics again! WHOOH!

Double update coming up! (Unless somehow this computer blocks this site again) Don’t anticipate too much though, okay?