A Day of Discoveries

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

I wasn’t allowed a thorough contemplation on the I Ching readings, because once I stepped off the bus, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I looked around, trying to locate the source of my new discomfort, but I saw nothing out of place. I shook my head. Was I getting too stressed? But I couldn’t shake off the feeling that danger was lurking around the corner. “Great, I’m about to die before I can discover my future,” I muttered to myself, but instead of laughing, I gulped, almost choking.

Readjusting the strap of my bag, I started making my way back to the apartment. My imagination and curiosity for the signs of the future I had gotten conflicted with my feelings of uneasiness. Dark shadows started to give an ominous ambiance as I walked down the sidewalk.

Footsteps thudded behind me. Their uneven rhythm informed me there was more than one pair of feet following me. My heartbeat raced as I tried to inconspicuously quicken and lengthen my pace. But my luck ran out as a voice piped up behind me, “Hey, you.”

I didn’t respond. Maybe they were just curious neighbors. Perhaps if I ignored them, I would be left alone. I was getting paranoid-

A man moved in front of me, blocking my path. Ohhkay, apparently my assumptions were just wishful thinking. His face was shaded from his hood, only the tip of his chin visible. “Where are you going, sweetheart?” Not creepy at all, man, I thought sarcastically.

I stopped in my tracks as he confronted me. From the corners of my eyes, I could see men surround me, like a pack of hungry wolves around a helpless doe.

“A schoolgirl, huh? Trying to please her parents with good grades and innocence.” The man took a step forward, his nose now visible in the sunlight. “Not that she needs them. Perhaps she should just let them go and join us.” I could see his hungry grin.

I opened my mouth to retort, but then clamped it shut. The words running through my head would only cause more trouble. I was shaking, so much that I knew I wouldn’t be able to speak. I curled one of my hands into a fist, wishing I could make the men feel what I was feeling. Adrenaline ran through my veins, but so was hopelessness and fear.

Something moved and I turned my head slightly. One of the men surrounded me started shivering. Another was rubbing his arms which had sprouted goosebumps, like there was an icy wind blasting at him. “I have a bad feeling about this,” he muttered.

“Feels like when EXO comes after us,” came from a voice behind me. I resisted raising an eyebrow. Huh? These people dealt with EXO? The way I understood it, EXO had their problems in finding their purpose and they had no time for ordinary people. Were they seen as a protection force by these guys, or a rival gang? I couldn’t tell.

The man in front snarled and backed away. “You may get away this time, girl, but we’ll be back.” The men backed away and vanished in the shadows.

My feet remained glued to the ground, even though I was free. I brought up my clenched fist and stared at it. My brain went into overtime, pulling memories and vision to a thought that was recently born. Was this the truth? Was I dreaming? I began to feel light-headed as everything began to dawn on me. Suddenly, my body went back to life and I was running, my feet pounding on the pavement. The apartment building came into view and I went through with no hesitation. I needed confirmation and I needed it now.

“Kalyn? What’s going on?” Lu Han asked as I closed the door behind me. He had been sitting at the kitchen table. A startled look grew on his face as I leaned against the door. My lungs fought for my air, and blood rushed through my face.

“I…” I panted. “I need, to talk, to the tree.”

“Why?” Kris had appeared from the hallway.

“My power.” Excitement bubbled up in me, like apple cider running down my throat. “I think, I think I know, what it is.”

*

I faced the musty darkness again. “Hello Shifu.

I’ve been expecting you. A ghostly figure appeared in front of me.

“You have?”

I can feel you power unfurl its petals day by day. I assume you have come because your mind has finally caught up and has identified your spirit?

“Uh… sure?” Whatever that meant.

Then you have earned your gift. The fog in front of me, revealing a bracelet on the stone floor in the spotlight. Use it wisely.

I walked over and picked it up. It was a leather bracelet with a black stone held in place by hemp cords. There was a yin yang circle etched on it, with four set of lines around it. Hexagrams, but not quite. Almost like the South Korean flag, but not quite.

I examined it before slipping it on. The surge of power that ran through my body, the feelings that took over my heart confirmed my theory. I closed my eyes, feeling electricity spark every inch of my being. When I opened my eyes, I saw a new world. Like I was reborn.

You are now officially one of us. Make us proud.

“I will, Shifu.”

[A/ N] Gahh what a horrible week. First I lived off of caffeine (which I never usually do for a school week), then I have a severe case of Onew Condition starting Friday, and finally I don’t even make finals room for All State… AISHH- The person who's a chair below me even made finals room! WHAT A FAILURE I AM. T-T

Although apparently one of my friends said she didn’t make All State either. I have no idea how she knows, so I’m assuming she didn’t make finals room either. I DON’T UNDERSTAND THIS!!!! She’s like the best clarinet EVER. (Well maybe besides the first chair at my school but I don’t know her well enough and I haven’t heard too many of her solos.) Like she nails all the ones we have in orchestra. I swear something is rigged in All State.

Oh well. If the first chair makes it, I’ll be happy because my school’s dry spell will finally end. No one who has ever played my instrument has made All State from my school for the last...5 years? >.<

Anyway I was struggling to figure out where to take this story. Possible chapters/scenarios I came up with:

1.       Tao waking up. Okay, it was kinda of a good idea, but in that draft Lu Han just told Kalyn that recharging for Tao usually took a day. CONTRADICTION! (Sorry for you people who are just taking geometry, you must hate that word because it reminds you of proofs. I get that complaint from my friends all the time. But I usually don’t care because it’s been 3-4 years since I’ve had geometry. –shrugs-) Anyway I’m sure you’ll guys see it come up later in better context… -cough- MAYBE

2.       Lu Han gives more insight about the powers of EXO, aka the beginning part of the draft mentioned above. I’m sure you guys may want a bit of clarification on their limits, but while I was writing it, the scene just leads to a dead end. Boring.

3.       Tao preventing Kalyn from going to the apartment because of ransacking or something. A bit of context. Maybe when things have builded up more.

4.       Kalyn discovering her power after Shifu admits it can help her. Through a mosquito. Kinda ridiculous, I realize, but I HATE mosquitos. Especially since I can hear them. Last year, during winter break, I heard it screaming while I was watching The Notebook with my sister. SO ANNOYING. Thank god I caught it between my hands. My sister had a mosquito bite on her elbow the next day. #-.- I don’t understand how mosquitos live through the winter, but it’s true…

If you guys haven't guess Kalyn's power already, don't worry, it'll eventually be revealed...like stated outlloud for all you oblivious people.

So yeah. I’ve also given up on Nanowrimo because I was getting too many ideas for this fanfic. ARGH! Next year I’ll probably try to finish all my stories before November or something so I can have a fresh idea for that. AISH! Oh well.

Anyway pic spam since no one has told me it’s annoying yet:

\]

Caption added by yours truly. I have no idea but w/e...

BOING BOING! Is it cute as the panda on my profile? I don't know, that gif is pretty good contender...

Grandpa Gangnam style looking y. HEY YOU STOLE TAEMIN'S PANTS! 

And clarification: TAO IS NOT MY BIAS. Which is weird, because usually I only write about my biases. Probably because I didn't establish my bias in EXO until after I started writing this? But he's like an overall bias, the guy all my friends are allowed to spazz over and not territorial about. Trust me, you don't want to know what happens when one of my friends wants to get bias or vice versa. But yeah, don't tell me "Oh he's not my type but yeah he's cool" because I'm not going to waste my time defending him. 

Does anyone know my biases anyway? How about this, if you can guess correctly, I'll do a picture spazz for you in the next chapter. I have two biases, one from EXO-M, one from EXO-K. If you get one right, I'll put in one picture of your request. If you get both right, I'll just post as many as I find interesting of your request until I get tired. (Trust me, I don't get tired until like...25 pictures later? :3)

And if you guys don't even try, well then your chance of getting pics of your bias is ZERO. Or at least it won't be greater than what it is. If your bias is Tao, good for you. He's y yet such a cute innocent boy, isn't he? If you ever kidnap him, tell him I said hi :P

I hope you guys all had a better week than I had! SEE Y'ALL LATER!

P.S. the chapter pic is mine btw. Taken with my cell phone so sorry if it's bad quality, I also took it in my basement.