The Interview

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

“Hello?”

Strange. No one was here. I frowned and sat down at the chair in front of the desk, clutching my purse nervously. I definitely didn’t expect this when I made my appointment.

The sound of people talking became apparent and grew louder. Suddenly the door opened and I turned.

“-and correct the angles by tomorrow, okay?” A middle-aged man walked in, apparently finishing a conversation. His head turned and he froze in his tracks. “What are you doing here?”

His accusing tone made me squirm a little. “I’m sorry, I was told to go on the fifth floor for my interview and go right into the office across the elevator.”

“Ah.” His eyes softened. “Our receptionist just came back from Europe. It’s actually on the sixth floor.”

“Thank you.” I stood up, slinging my purse back onto my shoulder. “I’m sorry to have bothered you.”

“It’s alright.” He held the door open for me. As I passed by, the scabs on his face caught my eye. They looked strangely familiar…

“Excuse me,” I blurted out before he could close the door. “But did you visit Shen Ling a few months ago, perhaps? Around the time of the earthquake?”

“Wh-“ He looked at me again, this time with a scrutinizing gaze. All of the sudden, his eyes held recognition. “Wait, were you that girl…”

“Is your arm doing better?” I asked, wanting confirmation.

“It is you!” He smiled and held out his hand. “I am Mr. Sheng. I’m glad we have met in better circumstances then the last time around. Let me show you to the interviewer’s office then.”

He led me up a set of stairs, asking me questions, like how were my parents? How had I adjusted to Beijing? I answered them, but my mind was on automatic pilot. Truthfully, I didn’t want to be here.

“So why were you interested in our company?” Mr. Sheng asked.

“Actually, my mother signed me up because she had heard from a family friend that you guys were the leading company in the art and design industry. I haven’t done enough research about anyone else yet, but you guys seemed like a good place for me to start and even stay for my career if I choose to.”

“I see. Well, we are expanding, and I’m sure your interviewer will inform you a bit more.” He opened a door. “Li Ken, I brought in your next interviewee.”

A young man with red hair looked up and smiled. “Thank god, I thought I was going to go crazy. All the people coming in for an interview have been late so far.”

“It’s not their fault. Turns out the receptionist has been giving them wrong directions. I’m going to reprimand her now. Good luck, Kalyn, okay?” He held out his hand.

“Thank you, Mr. Sheng.” I shook his hand and then took a seat in front of the interviewer as the door closed.

“Do you know Mr. Sheng personally?” He asked as he took the manila folder in my hand.

“Oh no, we’re acquaintances. I had met him on the street before in Shen Ling.”

“I see. Now, Kalyn, let’s get down to business, shall we?”

The interview went by quickly, as he asked the usual questions, like my education and my flaws. Suddenly, he edged towards the edge of his seat, like he didn’t want anyone to hear him.

“Have you ever heard of art activism?”

“No, sir.”

“Well, we’re starting a new department in this field. What we’re planning to do is to create art that emphasizes the flaws in the world, like poverty and the environment, yet make is pleasing to the viewer that they HAVE to stare at it for hours.” He smiled. “The pieces here in your portfolio, they are very entrancing. This work usually demands photography, but we’re hoping to include other forms of art. You seem like a perfect candidate. Would you be interested?”

“I think so, sir. I haven’t heard a lot about it though.”

“Oh don’t worry, as I said, it’s an ongoing project in our company. However, it means that you’re going to have to travel to many places and adapt to all sorts of situations. Do you think you can do that?”

I folded my hands in my lap. “I am confident I can. You see, I was there in Shen Ling when the earthquake occurred. I had to stay calm to make sure my parents were okay and to find safer ground. I moved to Beijing about two months ago because I have some relatives here. I had to make new friends and quickly know each teacher’s style in order to succeed, since schools Beijing are much more demanding.” I wanted to add about my experience being kidnapped, but I knew that some things had to be kept a secret.

He nodded and closed my folder with a smile. “Well, that’s our interview, Kalyn! We will call you in two weeks and let you know, okay?”

“Yes. Thank you, sir.” I shook hands with him and walked out of the room.

Of course, my first thought was Tao. It didn’t help the second I stepped out of the building, my phone rang. “Wei?”

“So how did it go?” Kris asked.

“Pretty well.” I shifted my bag onto a more comfortable position on my shoulder. “I think I have a good chance of getting the internship.”

“Great. How far away from you?”

“Only two minutes.”

“Good.” I heard the relief in his voice. “Tao has been asking for you. He’s been in this worried state for-“

“I’m on my way.” I clicked my phone and willed my feet to go faster. My calves complained, reminding of the torture I had been through the last couple of days. I winced as a familiar pain shot through my ankle, reminding me of my injury that still hadn’t fully healed, but by then I was at the door of the hospital.

Finally I was at his room’s door. “Tao?”

[A/N] I'm sorry that this chapter took so long to write, but it just didn't feel right. Hopefully the next few chapters will be easier. OTL

But yay we get back to the fun stuff :P

Random fact: My birthday is in a month. Holy crap I'm getting old. 

Maybe we should make a deal. If I finish this story before my birthday, y'all need to remember to wish me happy birthday  or something :P

See y'all soon!