A Familiar Face

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

The annoying thing about hospitals is that there’s nothing to do in your room besides sleep. But after a long time of drifting in and out of the darkness of blissful slumber, my body refused to release its grasp on reality. I tried watching the TV, but the only thing that was playing was a set of reruns from a decade ago. While I appreciated being a millennium child, the fashion back then was pretty hideous. I sighed and turned off the TV. The day had mostly been uneventful besides going to get my cast on my right leg since they took the x-ray yesterday. With the new weight, even my leg felt like it was down in the dumps.

“Kalyn?”                            

I turned to the doorway to the familiar voice. “Kris!” The world suddenly brightened as I recognized his familiar face.

He smiled, and I reached up to hug my cousin. His hairstyle had changed again, but I guess that was the lifestyle of a celebrity.

Then again, I did suspect him on skipping his rebellious mode. Perhaps he was having it now. I couldn't wait until he got red highlights or something.

He sat down by my bedside and took out some cards from his pocket. “These are from the rest of EXO, since they’re only allowing family members to visit right now.” He shook his head. “Although I don’t know why they have such a policy since it's not like your immune system is failing or something."

“Aww, how sweet of them!” I took the cards eagerly and almost dropped them. “Ahh! Why is my hand tingling?”

“Sorry, I should have warned you,” Kris replied with a regretful look. “Lay’s is filled with his healing power. At least, what he could store on there. I think his was the last one when I handed them over.”

“You didn’t absorb the power while you were holding them, did you?” I joked as I took up the cards again, prepared this time for the sensation.

“Nah. I’ve learned how to shield myself. And just in case, I got Lay to heal me before I came over so there was an unlikely chance his power would find anything to heal in me.”

“Of course you thought of everything.” I read Lay’s card and lay a hand flat on it, as the directions inside said. Suddenly I felt his power rush through my hand, making my whole body warm. Immediately my leg and my back felt better.

“I guess from the smile on your face, you feel better.”

“Definitely.” I wiggled my toes experimentally. “Wow, it feels like my leg is almost healed.”

“I wouldn’t count on getting the cast off too soon,” Kris warned. “Although it does cut the healing time in half. You probably don’t have to go to therapy either, if they had that in mind.”

I giggled, Lay’s power making me a little giddy. “I wonder what the doctors will think.”

Kris shrugged. “They’ll probably say your amazing healing is due to your young age.”

I crossed my fingers in response and went through the rest of the cards. After I finished Lu Han’s, which was on the bottom of the pile, I frowned .Why were there only four cards? “Where's Tao's card?”

“Ahh, yes.” Kris looked worried. “He’s been staying in his room for the past few days and refusing to talk to anyone. I think he blames himself for what happened.” He shook his head. “It’s a good thing that at least school is closed and the managers are giving him time off for the shock and stuff.”

What??  He blamed himself?? I closed my eyes, feeling guilt seep under my skin again. Even when I tried to protect people, they still ended up hurt…

“Kalyn? You okay?”

“Yeah, just a little tired. I think the effect of Lay’s healing is fading.”

He stood up. “Well, you should get your sleep then. Your body does compensate a little during healing.”

“Wait!” He froze. “Can you tell Tao, well if he’ll listen, that it was my fault, not his?”

Kris turned. “How was it your fault?”

“It’s my power. I can’t help it.” I closed my eyes, trying to stop my tears of helplessness.

“You know, Kalyn, just because we have power doesn’t make use superheroes.” I opened my eyes to see Kris shrug. “Just a thought.” With that he left.

I settled into my pillows, my fatigued mind struggling to comprehend what happened. What did Kris mean?

[A/N] Hey guys! Sooo I actually finished this yesterday, but I was holding it back since my next chapter won't be written for a while, but my friend greeted me today and said, "WHY??? WHY DID YOU LEAVE A CLIFFHANGER??"

-.- Last chapter's cliffhanger wasn't even as bad as the one before it...

But to ease her, I'm publishing this since she wants at least SOMEONE familiar to see Kalyn. Urgh, yay?

Also I looked over it for mistakes, so hopefully this one is a better read than the last two which I published in a hurry. -.-

And the picture? IDK why I even chose it...I guess it has to do with something that Kris said. -shrugs-

You can also tell I'm in a good mood, right? Like Kalyn is just uncharacteristically cheerful in this chapter. (Then again, who wouldn't be cheered up by UNICORNS? :P) Oh well. I'm trying to enjoy the mood while it lasts. Expect things to go back to depressing when I get back my Chemistry test results >.< (I had to make it up today since I was sick last Friday and it's one of those big ones where you get to decorate a ceiling tile if you get a 100 or something. Of course the day before I take it, my teacher reports to the class that the highest score at the moment was a 34/35 and that person only got one off because he skipped it, and that the average was a 26/35. >.< I DON'T WANT A C, I NEED AN A IN THE CLASS -panics-)

But anyway, I hope you guys all had a great day/week, feel free to spill because I'm always here to listen (Seriously), and friend of mine -cough- poster please? :P (Maybe something Kalyn would draw?)

SEE YA LATER!