The Beginning of a Bad Morning

EXONE: The Minor Forces-The Oracle of Fear

 

The shivers started in the morning.

I was just humming along to Super Junior M’s Super Girl as I washed my face. It’s my alarm clock song, since it’s one of the only things that can get me awake. Actually, all of Super Junior M songs usually can wake me up.

It seemed like a normal day. I just had a dream about swirling colors of black, yellow, red, and a burnt orange. As I went along with the tune, I wondered how I would get those colors to be alive, as they had been in my dream. Paint on canvas? Patches on jeans? Face crayons?

I had started to brush my hair, the last part of my morning routine when the shiver went up my spine, making me gasp. My elbows bumped into the counter as I strained, trying to keep myself upright.

Finally the tremors through my back ceased. I panted as my legs gained control again, and I limped to my bed.

God, something bad was going to happen. I buried my face into my pillow. What was it going to be now? I checked my stomach-the last time it happened, my stomach churned after lunch. Imagine my embarrassment when I ran out of the classroom, my hands over my mouth. My teacher found me in the infirmary as the nurse called for the doctor. I had contracted E. Coli somehow. I could barely keep down solid foods for days. The sight of meat disgusted me for three months.

Just as I was about to get up, the shiver came again. My eyes widened. Two times? Something like that had never happened before. As soon as my back felt normal again, I took Yin Yang from my bookshelf and went downstairs.

“Good Morning Mama,” I said, clutching Yin Yang to my chest.

“Good Morning, Kalyn,” she replied, brushing back a strand of black hair from her eyes. Poor Mama, even though she looked ten years younger, she started getting white hair. “Congee for breakfast?”

“Can I have tea instead? My stomach doesn’t feel good.” I always got a queasy feeling after my spine got a life on its own. I sit down on a chair at the dinner table.

She frowned, and walked over. She put her hand onto my head. “No fever, but just tea?”

I shrugged. “Maybe I slept the wrong way last night.”

Mama nodded, but still looked worried as she made me a cup of honey ginger tea.

I let the cup warm my hands, then my arms, and imagine the warmth is running through my whole body. When I sip from the warm, sweet goodness, the illusion becomes real. But I still can’t shake the queasy feeling.

Mama watches my every movement. “Better?” She asks with a small smile.

I nod and hand the cup back. “Thanks.”

She takes the cup and starts washing it above the sink. “You have a good day at school, now, okay?” She says, placing the cup on the wash rack.

I nod, taking Yin Yang with me as I get up, swinging my backpack onto my left shoulder. Suddenly, a wave of fear passes over me. Two shivers-I had enough disasters from one shiver.

Instinctively, I hug Mama. “I love you, Mama,” I whisper.

She my hair. “What’s this?” She says with a chuckle. She pulls me away, and notices Yin Yang. “You even have Yin Yang?”

I hold her hands. “Promise me, you’ll try to be safe,” I say.

She smiles, although I can tell she’s trying not to roll her eyes. “I promise, Kalyn.” She looks at the clock on the wall. “You should go. You’ll be late for your bus.”

I nod and run out of the door. Maybe I can catch Baba too. He usually eats his breakfast outside, with the neighbors.

When I reach the café outside of the apartment complex, I bump into him. “Oof!” He grunts as I crash into him. “Kalyn?”

“Baba,” I say in a half-wail, hugging him.

“Now, now, you’re a grown up girl, act like one,” he commands with a gentle voice.

I look up. Baba…His hair is gray, black splotches mingled with white, his kind eyes beaming through his glasses. He works hard, and he is full of love and wisdom.

“I have a bad feeling, Baba,” I say, trying to keep tears from piling of my eyes. The fear inside grows every second. “Please, be safe.”

“I will, sweetheart,” he says with a smile, giving me another hug. “Now, go catch your bus. Don’t want to be late for school, especially the day after Spring break!” He says, letting me go.

I nod, and run to the bus stop.

Wind whooshes in my ears as I will my legs to go faster. My feet start aching, and I get light-headed. But still, I cannot run away from the overwhelming feeling of dread.

*

Yin yang says hi!!!!