Surprise?

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Christy’s POV

I walk out of the doctor’s with Onew in a daze. “How am I pregnant?” I ask.

“Yeah how are you?” he asks. “You’ve never had any boyfriends.”

“I don’t know,” I say racking my brain attempting to think of how I’m pregnant.

“Here, let’s go there,” Onew says pointing towards a small café.

“What about Chicken Saturday?” I ask.

“Well, we still have some time before lunch. Are you thirsty?”

“I’ll just have water,” I say as we enter. “You can order what you want.”

I go over and sit in a booth and attempt to wrap my mind around the situation. I’m pregnant. I have a baby inside of me. What? I’m a university student and my mother will surely kill me. I’ve always been the responsible daughter. I’m not the type of person to come home pregnant.

“So, do you remember?” Onew asks sitting down across from me. I shake my head. “Well, how about I attempt to help you remember.”

“Okay,” I say nodding my head as I take a sip of water.

“Do you ever remembering getting with a guy?” he asks showing his serious side. I’m not used to seeing Onew this way. He seems caring and kind, not that he isn’t normally, it’s just that his bumbling side usually comes out a lot more.

I think and I think hard. I try to remember. “I don’t know. I don’t remember ever getting together with a guy,” I say, but then it suddenly hits me. “Until that one time.”

“One time?” Onew asks with a wide smile. He must feel proud that we’re starting to get somewhere. “When was the one time?”

“A couple of months ago,” I say, “well, the doctor said that I’m about a month along or whatever. It was a couple of months ago…it’s kind of fuzzy.”

“Fuzzy?” Onew asks. “Were you drinking then?”

“Possibly?” I ask scratching the top of my head. “I can’t remember much.”

“Do you remember the guy that you were with?” I bet he’s feeling excited knowing that we’re getting somewhere and that it’s like a mystery that he’s helping to solve.

I look at Onew as I try to think of that night. What was I doing? Was I drinking? Then it hits me like a ton of bricks. “It was you,” I say, my voice barely above a whisper.

“What?” he asks leaning closer.

“It was you,” I say louder. “I was with you.” I look at him and the shock that sets in as he attempts to remember the same night that I’m attempting to remember. “I’m sorry,” I say getting up and running out of the café without even looking back.

 

Onew’s POV

I watch as Christy runs out of the place. Me? I’m the father of the baby? “What was I doing a couple of months ago with Christy?” I wonder aloud. “A couple of months ago... were the exams,” I say with the realization finally setting in. “Crap, I really am the father of the baby.” I put my head in between my hands as I think back to that time.

 

A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO

“Yay! Exams are over!” I yell as I put both of my hands up in the air. I glance out of the corner of my eye and see Christy walk right past me. “Hey, don’t ignore me,” I say running up to her.

“You’re such a dork,” she says hitting me. “So you’re happy that exams are over?”

“Of course, who likes studying, blech,” I say making a weird face.

“But you’re good in school anyway, you wouldn’t have a problem,” she complains.

“Doesn’t matter,” I say shrugging my shoulders. “How do you think you did?”

“I think I did alright,” she confesses.

“Awesome. Do you want to celebrate?”

“Celebrate? I hope you’re not thinking with chicken,” she says rolling her eyes.

“No, Chicken Saturday has passed already. I was thinking of having a mini party with the members of SHINee.”

“I wouldn’t want to intrude.”

“You wouldn’t intrude,” I say placing my arm around her shoulder. “Let’s go.”

I drag Christy to my house where the members already are seeing as their exams ended before ours.

“You guys are late,” Taemin whines.

“Our test just ended,” I happily say. “Break time!”

“Here, want one?” Jonghyun asks handing me a drink. I take the cup of out of his hand and look at Christy as she just stares at me. “Go ahead, take it,” he says.

“I don’t drink, though.”

“Just try,” I urge her. “Exams are over, now is a time to be happy. We have a break anyway, it’s not like we necessarily have to get up in the morning.”

“You shouldn’t force her if she doesn’t want to,” Key chimes in. He’s always the mother.

“I guess I’ll try it,” Christy says giving a hesitant look and grabbing the cup. “Ech,” she says after she takes a sip. I can’t help but laugh at her actions. I guess it is the first time that she’s ever drunk before. Christy’s not the type of person to drink. Actually, she’s not really the type of person to do anything, she just follows me around.

Well into the night I can barely even walk. I just stumble around and it looks like it’s having the same affect on Christy. “Onew, you’re very handsome,” Christy slurs as she sits down next to me.

“You’re very pretty,” I slur back to her. My head hurts and I’m completely unaware of my surroundings, I’m drunk. By the looks of it, it seems like Christy is too.

“Thank you, Jinki,” Christy says giving me a bright smile.

“Hey, let’s get out of here,” I suggest offering my hand. Christy takes it and I lead her upstairs.

 

Christy’s POV

“You’re home early,” Mom states as I walk in the house.

“Ah, yeah, I didn’t feel well,” I lie as I make my way up to my room. “I’m just going to get some sleep. You don’t need to do anything.”

I plop down in my bed and stare at the ceiling. Onew’s the father of this baby? That chicken loving freak of a best friend that I have is the father of the thing in my stomach?

I can’t tell my parents, I absolutely can’t tell them. My mother would kill me if she knew. No. I can’t. I take the card out of my back pocket that the doctor gave me. It’s a doctor who specializes in pregnancy. He said that I should call the number and set up an appointment as soon as possible in order to take the proper precautions.

The reality hasn’t hit me yet. I can’t be having a baby. A baby. Another life that is currently growing inside of me. I can’t be a mother. I’m too young. Aren’t people supposed to be happy when they hear the news?

Pulling the covers over me, I feel even worse than I did in the beginning. This isn’t how this is supposed to go. I’m supposed to have a baby after I get married.

I attempt to think about what Onew would be thinking right now. He’s in shock, no doubt. He has to be. I ran out on him without letting him say anything. I don’t know what he’s thinking. Ugh, too many things to think about.

My phone rings interrupting my thoughts. “Hello?” I ask picking it up. I attempt to make it look as though I’m normal.

“Christina! Where are you?” Onew asks on the line.

“I’m…I’m,” I say attempting to think up a lie, but I can’t lie to him. He knows me too well to know when I’m lying. Without thinking of a lie, I hang up the phone and throw it somewhere else on my bed. I grab Stitch and hold him in front of me. “What should I do?” I ask him. I look at him like I’m waiting for a response back. “I can’t have a baby.”

“Christy, are you alright in there?” I hear my mother ask as her footsteps are coming up the stairs.

“Ah, yeah,” I say quickly covering myself with the covers up to my chin to make it look like I’m attempting to get some rest and that I’m really sick.

“Here, I brought you up some soup,” she says although I told her I didn’t need anything. My mom does the complete opposite of what I say. Does she even listen to me?

“Um, thanks,” I say as she places the tray in front of me as I sit up.

“And you have a visitor,” she quickly adds before leaving not giving me any time to respond. “I’ll be downstairs with Jinki’s mother if you need anything.”

“Wha—,” I manage to say before the door closes.

 

Onew’s POV

I go into Christy’s room. Her mother agreed to let me see her saying that Christy said that she just felt a little unwell. I guess she hasn’t told her mother the great news yet.

Is it great news? I mean, I’ll have another chicken eating buddy, but…a father? I’m not ready to be a father. I also can’t believe that I’ve slept with Christy. We’re friends; we’re so close we’re like siblings. It’s kind of gross when I think about it.

But as I stand before Christy, I try to shake those feelings off. “Um, hey,” I say starting off our conversation awkwardly. Now is the time to ditch the dorky Jinki and come in with the calm, cool, and collected one. Even if I am freaking out inside. Christy doesn’t answer me and continues stirring her soup. “I see you have chicken noodle soup, it ties in with Chicken Saturday you know.” My joke goes over her head as she just stares at it, looks up at me, and then stares at it again.

“I’m guessing you remember,” Christy says without even looking up at me.

“Yeah,” I say sighing in defeat. I’m just going to let her control this conversation. “I’m sorry.”

“What’s there to be sorry about? We were both drunk, weren’t we?”

“But I forced you to drink.”

The air turns awkward between us again. I don’t know what to do. Should I attempt to make things funny, but would she just be mad at me for not taking the situation lightly. Having a baby is a big deal. It’s stressful, too.

“I can’t be a mother,” Christy whispers as I sit down on her bed, but keep a safe distance away in case she decides to start hitting me. “You can’t be a father.”

“Hey, trust me!” I say opening my arms wide, but she just stares at me. Fail number one.

“We’re young, we’re in college. Impossible.”

“You just need to believe yourself,” I tell her. Suddenly my mind starts thinking of some wise things that I start saying. “Nobody’s perfect. If you believe you can do it, you can. You can do it!” I yell once again, but once again she just stares at me. Fail number two.

“People are supposed to get married and then they’re supposed to have children, they’re not supposed to have children in college.” It’s like my existence totally doesn’t matter here with Christy. She’s off worrying in her own world. I don’t even matter anymore. “I don’t love you,” she continues. “I never did. You’re like a brother.”

“And you’re like a sister. It’s slightly gross when you think about us having a baby together,” I point out and I see her gently smile. It doesn’t show her teeth or anything, but at least it’s a smile. Deduct one fail.

“I love you like a brother. I never felt anything romantic between us. I don’t know why we did what we did that night.” Christy continues ranting and ranting on about who knows what. The only thing I know is that I’m starting to get hungry for chicken again so I start drowning out her words. “What are we going to do?” she asks knocking me out of my thoughts.

“Huh?” I ask looking at her.

“You were thinking about chicken again,” she groans. “See, we can’t be parents.”

“Hey, it’s Chicken Saturday,” I say using that for my defense. “I’m hungry for chicken again,” I say patting my tummy.

“What are we going to do about this other problem that we have here?” she asks pointing at her own stomach. I stare at it. Something living is in her stomach. Something living that has half of my DNA. I hope it grabbed the chicken liking DNA and not Christy’s nagging DNA.

“Let’s just have it,” I say at the same time that Christy says that we shouldn’t have it or that we should give it up.

“Are you crazy?” she asks.

“No, I’m not crazy. Let’s just have the baby.”

“It’s a baby, a living thing. It’s not a chicken or an egg or a water balloon or a doll. It’s alive and it’s real and we have to take care of it,” Christy says. “And you hate children.”

“Oh, yeah,” I say rubbing the back of my head. “But…I still want to keep it. I’ll work hard.” To me, it seems like a reverse situation. From what I’ve heard and read, normally it’s the men that oppose and the women that are all for having a baby. Am I secretly a woman? Is Christy secretly a man? Ooh, more mysteries to be solved.

 

Christy’s POV

Am I hearing what I’m hearing? Why in the world does he want to keep this baby? We could put it up for adoption, but I mean, actually taking care of a baby. I don’t think I’m able to. “Do you know what you’re saying?” I ask him. “You’re saying to keep it.”

“I know,” Onew says nodding his head.

“And you and I don’t love each other, will that be okay? I mean, think about this, Onew,” I tell him. “Eventually I’m going to get married to someone else and so are you and we’re going to have our own children. What is this child going to think?”

I watch Onew as he thinks about it and just shrugs his shoulders. “Let’s just settle one problem at a time, okay? My brain is being overloaded. I’m hungry,” he says getting up off of the bed. “I’m going to go get some lunch, preferably chicken salad, and I’ll be back.”

Onew leaves the bedroom without another word while I sit there and watch his back leaving. This is so confusing. I grab Stitch once again and look at him. “Do you think I have the ability to be a mother? It’s nine months; the baby will be here in nine months. We could see in that time, right?”

Finding my laptop, I turn it on and decide to look up some things about new mothers and what to expect when someone is pregnant. Someone knocks at my door again causing me to quickly close my laptop and look like I’m eating the soup.

“Jinki left already?” my mother asks.

“Um, he’s just going out to get something to eat. He’ll be back,” I say with a smile. “Thanks for the soup, it’s good.”

“Aww, anything for my daughter,” she says with a bright smile.

“Yeah,” I say as I eat some more, even if I don’t really feel like it.

“Well, Jinki’s mother and I are downstairs if you need anything.”

“What are you guys doing?” I ask wondering why his mother would be over here, but why should I question? She’s always over here.

“We’re cooking. We thought that maybe for your Chicken Saturday you would want something home-cooked for once.”

“Oh, thanks,” I say. “I’ll ask Onew.”

“Okay, I’ll see you later,” my mother says smiling as she closes the door.

Shortly after, Onew comes back in with his chicken salad. “Our mothers are making a chicken dish for tonight for our Chicken Saturday.”

“Really?” he asks as he opens his salad and starts eating it. “Yum. Chicken fills my tummy. I’m like the Cookie Monster, except I like chicken, so I can be the Chicken Monster,” he says attempting to imitate a voice.

I smile at his imitation, but it also puts doubts into me. Does he really think that he can be a father? Is this father material? Really? I’m not doubting his abilities, I’m just uneasy about this whole thing. I have been since the beginning.

“Look, if we’re going to be parents, then you need to cool it on the imitations,” I state as I eat some of the soup. Onew looks at me as his mouth is full of lettuce and just gives me a look. “Really,” I say nodding my head.

“Yes!” he says going over and hugging me. I groan in response and he immediately lets me go. “Right, right, you’re pregnant. But yes!” he jumps up and down and slips because of the rug.

“We have to tell them,” I say once Onew’s calmed himself. “We can’t keep it hidden forever.”

 

Onew’s POV

I stare at Christy, she’s completely serious. I grab her hand and drag her downstairs. “Oh, you’re up,” my mother says looking at her.

“Ah, hello,” Christy says bowing towards her.

“Mom, Aunt,” I say looking at the both of them who are chopping up vegetables and chicken. “We have something to tell you guys.” They’re probably going to think that Christy and I are boyfriend and girlfriend, but they can. I’m not entirely sure if they’ll be as happy as I am about a baby.

“What is it?” they ask curiously.

I squeeze Christy’s hand to signal that it’s her turn to talk. “Mom, Auntie, I’m pregnant,” she confesses looking down not wanting to know what their reactions are.

Before they can even react, though, I start talking. “The baby is mine, before you start asking questions. I’ll take care of Christy and the baby. I’ll look after them until I die. We plan on keeping the baby, so please look over us well,” I say bowing. Christy does the same.

I hear metal clatter on the counter and Christy and I both look up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Onew is the father of the baby. 

How are their mothers going to react? How are their fathers going to react when they hear the news later? What are they going to say? What is in  store for Christy and Onew in the future? How will SHINee react to hearing the news about a baby?

 

Here is Chapter 2! Hope you enjoyed :D