Step By Step

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Christy’s POV

Groggily, I open my eyes in the morning to hear someone screaming. “Who’s screaming?” I ask sitting up and rubbing my eyes only to feel someone underneath of me. Opening my eyes wide, I immediately look down and see Changmin underneath of me.

“What is he doing here?” Key yells.

“Don’t yell so loudly,” Jonghyun says holding his head. “It pounds.”

“Well if someone didn’t get drunk last night,” Key says sighing at him. “That doesn’t answer the question. What is he doing here?” he asks pointing to Changmin.

“I invited him over, is that a problem?” I ask.

“A major one,” Minho chimes in. “He’s not supposed to be near you.”

“What?” I ask in disbelief. “What do you mean he’s not supposed to be near me?”

“He’s a player, a player,” Jonghyun yells while holding his head.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I say shaking my head.

“You’re not supposed to see him anymore,” Key firmly states picking me up off the couch only to roll Changmin off onto the floor with a thud.

“Who said that?” I ask.

“We did,” Jonghyun, Minho, and Key all say in unison.

“But how did you even know about him?” I ask scratching my head.

“He came by the house yesterday,” Jonghyun says.

“And that psycho did, too,” Key mutters. He must be talking about Nicole.

Then I remember that Changmin told me last night they stopped by, but he didn’t mention anything about them telling him to get out. I just thought that because Onew and I weren’t home that they just left.

“Wake up, wake up,” Taemin says poking Changmin.

“Christy?” Changmin asks in a deep voice because of him waking up.

“No, it’s not Christy,” Taemin says in the most girlish voice possible.

“Then who?” he asks as he opens his eyes to reveal Taemin hovering right over his face, which causes Changmin to scream at the top of his lungs. Why is everyone screaming? They’ll think that Onew and I are torturing people here. “Why are you guys here?” Changmin asks looking around at everyone.

“We live here, we already told you that,” Key sternly says. “We could ask you why you’re here, too.”

“I invited him,” I say interrupting their conversation. “You guys went out last night with Onew and I was feeling lonely so I invited him to come.”

“Why didn’t you just call one of us?” Minho asks. “We would’ve surely come back.”

“I didn’t want to ruin your time together,” I shyly admit. “It seemed like it’s been forever since you guys and Onew hung out.”

“Speaking of Onew-hyung,” Taemin says looking around. “Where is he?”

“Isn’t he with you?” I ask confused.

“No. After a while we didn’t see him,” Jonghyun says.

“That was because hyung was too busy making out with a girl,” Taemin says making kissy faces.

“Enough of that,” Key says reestablishing order. “We lost Onew. Wait a minute,” he suddenly says pointing towards Changmin who is attempting to escape. “You’re not going anywhere.”

 

Onew’s POV

“Jinki, what are you doing home?” Mom asks me. I gently open my eyes to reveal my bedroom, my old bedroom that I shared before Christy and I got married. What am I doing home?

“Um…sorry, I think I was drunk last night,” I tell her scratching the back of my neck. “I guess this was the address that I gave them.”

“You were drinking?” she sternly asks.

“Sorry,” I say slightly bowing my head. “It won’t happen again.”

“It better not,” she says eyeing me. “Don’t let your father know any of this, though. He’ll start talking about how you aren’t going to be a responsible father.”

“Yea,” I say. “I guess I’ll get going now.”

“You do that, but why don’t you wash up first and have some breakfast?” Mom suggests.

“Sure,” I say smiling. It feels exactly like old times. “I’ll be down in a couple of minutes.”

After getting ready for the day, I make my way downstairs to see Mom cooking in the kitchen. “I’m making your favorite,” she announces.

“Chicken?” I excitedly ask.

“Um…not that favorite.” I nod my head as I sit down at the counter and continue to watch her cook.

“Mom, can I ask your advice on something?”

“Sure, what do you need?” she asks as she finishes making the waffles.

“You know Taemin, right?”

“I know him,” she says nodding her head.

“He’s experiencing troubles lately and I don’t know how to help him. Maybe since you’re a girl, you’d be able to offer your advice,” I say explaining the fictional situation.

“Why couldn’t Christy help?” she wonders.

“Because honestly, Christy doesn’t have that much experience with guys,” I whisper to her causing her to laugh.

“Well I’d be glad to help him. What’s the situation?”

“Taemin likes a girl, but he thinks that the girl has another crush. What should he do?” I ask her.

“Does he really like the girl?” Mom asks as she sits across from me. I nod my head. “Is he positive that the girl likes someone else?”

“Somewhat?” I ask. “He just has a feeling since she sometimes hangs out with him.”

“Based on what you’ve told me,” Mom begins as we both start eating the waffles, “I think Taemin would have to ask her if she has a crush on the other guy. I think that would be the most efficient way in figuring out feelings quickly and easily.”

“Would that be embarrassing to the girl, though? If he were to randomly ask if she liked someone else, would they easily say that they did?”

“They would probably question why he’s asking such a question, but if he goes into it with confidence of knowing that he likes the girl, then everything should turn out fine,” she says giving a smile.

I think about the answer that my mom gave me. Basically she’s telling me to ask Christy if she likes Changmin or not and be truthful to my feelings. Right now I’m sure that I like Christy. After that horrible experience with Nicole last night, it only further planted my belief that I like her, that I’m starting to develop feelings for her.

“Are you okay, Jinki?” Mom asks knocking me out of my trance. I nod my head. “Well, when you see Taemin, tell him that I said good luck.” I smile and just nod my head once again.

 

Christy’s POV

“Did you try calling him?” I ask.

“Yeah, but he didn’t pick up,” Key says.

“I tried calling him, too,” Taemin says showing his phone.

“Do you think his phone is dead?” Minho asks.

“Possibly, but who would go out with a dead phone?” Jonghyun questions.

I sit on the couch and watch the rest of the guys start arguing about where Onew could be. After a deep interrogation about why he was there, they also let Changmin go home. Still, the picture that I saw last night is still visible in my head. Onew kissed Nicole. Why is my heart hurting about it?

I don’t even understand why I’m worried about him not being home. I don’t like Onew, he’s purely my friend. We purely got married because of this baby. Why should I care about what he does anymore? It surely seems like he doesn’t care about me in the first place.

But isn’t that what we agreed on? Didn’t we agree on neither of us really bothering to care about our marriage and instead of just focus more on what we want to do? Why does it feel like tides are starting to change?

“Noona, what are you thinking about?” Taemin asks tapping me on my shoulder.

“I was just thinking about the normal things people think about,” I say giving him a smile.

“Okay,” he says shrugging his shoulders.

“Are you hungry?” Key asks. “We could go get some food for you.”

“No, you don’t need to do that,” I say shaking my head.

“Hey, you’re the one that’s pregnant,” Jonghyun says pointing at my stomach.

“Speaking of, how did Onew-hyung get places with his broken leg?” Minho asks.

“Hopped along?” I suggest.

“But wouldn’t that get tiring? And if he were drunk and hopping, that might not have been a good match,” Key says thinking about it.

“Do you think he’s in the hospital?” Minho asks making all of us hold our breaths.

“Well, if he was in a hospital, wouldn’t they have called one of us throughout the night, or at least Christy here?” Key asks.

“That is true,” I say. “Why don’t we just call his house and see if they heard anything from him? Isn’t that where he sued to go when he was drunk?”

“Noona, you’re a genius,” Taemin quickly says as he takes out his phone and dials Onew’s house number.

The rest of us sit there and wait for news when Taemin’s done his phone call. “What did they say?” Jonghyun asks.

“She said that hyung is there and they’re eating breakfast,” Taemin says with a bright smile. “But she kind of said something that was weird.”

“What could she have said?” I ask.

“She told me good luck with my girl problems,” Taemin says as he stares at his phone strangely.

“You have girl problems?” Key asks taken by surprised. We all really are at hearing that Taemin has some girl problems.

“No, I don’t, that’s what’s strange about it,” Taemin says defending himself. “Where would she have heard that I have girl problems?” All of us just shake our heads in response to Taemin’s mysterious girl problems, but I know that we’re all happy because Onew isn’t missing or killed or kidnapped.

 

Onew’s POV

“Thanks for breakfast, I should get back home,” I announce as I go to the door.

“Do you need help?” Mom offers. “I was going to ask where you got that cast from, but I had forgotten.”

“I was being clumsy, I fell down the stairs,” I tell her without telling her the whole story. “And you don’t have to help me.”

“Let me,” she quickly says grabbing her car keys. “I rarely get to see you anymore.”

“Fine,” I say ultimately giving into her.

After a couple of minutes, I finally arrive back at the house. “Okay, see you,” I say getting out of the car.

“Yup, don’t be afraid to call,” Mom says as she waves me goodbye. I smile at her before I open the door to the house, only to be tackled.

“Hyung, where were you?” Taemin asks as he clings onto me.

“Home?” I ask not knowing what to do to get him off of me.

“This is your home, though,” he says.

“I was with my mom,” I clarify. “Why, did you guys miss me here?”

“More like no,” Jonghyun says rolling his eyes. “I still have a major headache here.”

I look on the couch and see Christy sitting there, was she worried about me, too? Suddenly, a flashback of last night happens and I remember walking in seeing Christy and Changmin sleeping there on the couch. The atmosphere then takes a turn for the awkwardness because of Christy and me.

“Let’s go upstairs,” Key says standing up and rounding up the rest of them.

“What are you talking about? Hyung just got home,” Taemin says. I watch as Key gives a secret code to Minho who automatically picks up Taemin.

“Let’s just go,” Minho says as he drags Taemin upstairs.

“We’ll give you some time to talk,” Key says to Christy and me before he leaves.

Once the four of them leave, the air is still awkward between Christy and me. Does she know that I saw her together with Changmin? We sit for a couple of minutes in silence like that, neither one of us knowing what to say exactly.

“Were you worried about me?” I ask breaking the silence.

“You could say,” she says shrugging her shoulders. “You’re my friend, how could I not be worried about you?”

My bubble sort of deflates after she calls me her friend. I guess I really do like her. “That’s good,” I say faking a smile. “Sorry that I was out for so long and worrying you.”

“It’s no problem,” Christy smoothly says. “You should spend time with your friends once in a while.”

“Yeah,” I say sighing.

“Can I ask you a question?” Christy asks.

“Sure,” I say looking at her as my heartbeat accelerates.

“Why did you kiss Nicole?”

“What?” I ask. That was not the question I was expecting to hear. How does she even know that?

“I saw a picture of you and Nicole kissing. Why did you kiss her? I thought I told you to stay away from her because she would only hurt you,” Christy says as I see the beginning of tears in her eyes.

Instinctively, I reach out to her.

 

Christy’s POV

I have no idea why I’m so upset about it. I thought I wasn’t going to care about what Onew did anymore, but here I am. Unexpectedly, Onew’s hug gives me comfort and security. “I didn’t mean to,” he whispers as he hugs me. “I was drunk and she forced it upon me. I would never do something that you told me not to.” Somehow, that answer is enough to settle my heart. “Let me ask you something now.”

“What?” I ask pulling away from the hug.

“Do you like Changmin?” he asks. I just stare at him.

“What are you talking about?” I ask.

“I saw you and him sleeping here last night. Do you like him?”

“I don’t know,” I say shrugging my shoulders. “Why are you asking such a question?”

“I was just wondering whether you had feelings for him or not.”

I think about Onew’s question, do I like Changmin? I go to him for comfort sometimes and a couple of times he’s kissed me, but does that mean that I feel anything for him? I used to have feelings for him before, but I’m pretty sure that they don’t exist anymore, but that doesn’t mean that they could be coming up.

“I’m not sure,” I say sighing. I see Onew’s shoulders slightly deflate. “I’m sorry I’m not able to give you a good answer,” I say apologizing. “You even explained the picture of you and Nicole and I’m here unable to say anything.”

“That’s alright,” Onew says putting on a smile. “I just wanted to let you know that my heart is pure.”

“What do you mean?”

“Even if we are allowed to do whatever we want in this marriage, that doesn’t mean that I’ll full blown out cheat on you,” he quietly says. “I still have some morals and values.”

“As do I,” I tell him giving him a smile. “But why are you so curious as to me and Changmin?”

“I just wanted to know where I stand, that’s all,” he says as he gets up from the couch. “Christy,” he says before he leaves.

“Yeah?” I ask turning to look at him.

“Then why are you so curious as to me and Nicole?” Onew asks as he leaves the room, giving me no time to answer.

As I’m sitting in the living room alone, I think about Onew’s question. Why am I so concerned about Onew becoming close with Nicole?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When will Christy recognize her growing feelings for Onew? When will Onew be able to confidently tell Christy his feelings? What will happen in the future now?

 

Here is Chapter 16. Hope you enjoyed :D

And having a baby boy is still in the lead for the poll! I'm open to taking any suggestions for baby names, regarding both genders since the poll is still continuing :)