Will You Marry Me?

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Christy’s POV

I sit on the swing and look down at the ground. Why did Changmin do that? I mean, I trusted him and I even liked him and then it just went down the drain, all with one thing. He even just dropped me off here. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him. Why couldn’t I notice what Onew did earlier for me? Is it him that my heart really belongs to?

 

ONE HOUR AGO

“Why did you bring me to my grandfather’s place?” I ask him out of curiosity.

“I thought we could get some alone time,” he simply says as he sits next to me on the couch.

“What are you talking about?” I ask.

“I mean, your grandfather is actually leaving for another appointment in let’s say five minutes, which means that we have the house to ourselves,” Changmin says looking at his watch and then at me.

“So you just wanted to be here so we could be alone?”

“Well, I thought we could do some talking and this and that while there wasn’t anyone to interrupt us.”

“Actually, yeah, that sounds like a good idea,” I say nodding my head. It wouldn’t hurt to ask him why he kept telling me that Onew and Raina go out when in reality they don’t. Did he just want to get me hurt? I mean, while we’re at this place now it wouldn’t hurt to ask him about it.

“Why? Is there something that you want to ask me?”

“I do,” I say turning and looking at him. “Why did you lie to me?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Why did you lie about Onew and Raina being together? I know that they’re not together; I know that they’re not dating, but you told me that they were anyway. Why?”

“I thought they were, simple as that,” he says shrugging his shoulders, but there’s something in the way that he’s saying it that makes me not believe him. I want to believe him, every fiber in my being wants to believe him, but my head is saying not to. My brain is telling me to trust my instinct and not believe him for anything.

“Look, Christy,” Changmin says as he gets closer to me. “You know that I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you, right?”

“Of course you won’t,” I say rolling my eyes.

“Aww, are you mad at me?” he asks attempting to do aegyo. “Christy, I’ll make it up to you, I promise.”

“How?” I ask.

“This?” he asks as he gets closer and gently kisses me on the lips.

“Changmin, what are you doing?” I ask immediately pushing him away after the kiss. “I’m married.”

“That hasn’t stopped you before, has it?” he asks.

“That was different before…I wasn’t sure of my feelings,” I say standing up.

“And now you are? Before you still liked me. What changed since then? I already told you that I liked you and I was sure you liked me, but now you push me away.”

“If you haven’t noticed I’m married and I’m pregnant, I can’t be doing this.”

“That didn’t stop you before.”

“That was before,” I simply say. “That was before and this is now. Just take me home, please?” I ask him.

“Fine,” he sighs. “You’re just like how Nicole and Raina described you.”

 

Onew’s POV

I walk around on the streets searching for Christy. Changmin told me that he dropped her off at home and although he didn’t explain what happened between them, I can tell that something just isn’t right. Something happened that made Christy upset at him. If Christy is upset, then where would she go? And then it hit me…the playground.

Why the playground? When we were fifteen, Christy suffered her first heartbreak from a no good guy. She just dated him and I’m not even sure if she liked Changmin back then and was dating the guy to just make him jealous, I’m not entirely sure. I don’t know the whole story of her and her ex-boyfriend and I don’t even remember his name, but I do remember walking home one day and finding her crying while swinging on the swings and I was there to comfort her. Is that when I first started falling for her? Have I liked her for that long?

I manage to make it to both of our old houses and take off for the playground that we were both at when we were fifteen. That seems so long ago, that seems like it’s another person, despite only being about five years ago. Five years…a lot can happen in five years.

“Christy,” I whisper to myself as I see the very familiar crying figure swinging on the swings. Without saying another word, I stealthy make my way over to Christy and swing on the swing next to her. I wait to see how long it takes her to notice me and it doesn’t take long.

“Onew,” she says as she looks at me. I can see the tears roll down her face and mess up her light makeup. “What are you doing here?”

“Searching for you, dummy,” I say as I get off of the swing and kneel down so that I’m down on her level. “What are you doing running around when you’re pregnant? Do you how worried I was about you?”

“Why are you dressed like that?” she asks looking at my clothes.

“Dressed like what?” I ask in an attempt to play it off.

“You have nice clothes on. Were you going somewhere?”

“I was going to find you,” I tell her as I grab her hands and look at her face, which she attempts to hide from me. “Actually, there’s no point in hiding it anymore.”

“Hiding what? The fact that you’re going to leave me?” she asks.

“What?” I ask in shock. “How in the world do you think that I’m ever going to leave you? I told you that I’d stick by you and the babies for as long as I live and I’m always going to be holding that promise. There’s no other person out there for me, Christy. No one. I love you.” I sigh as I dig in my pocket to find the ring that I bought for her. There’s no better time than this.

I don’t need all of the fancy things that Key and I were preparing. I don’t need some long written script telling Christy how much I love her. Actions speak louder than words. Feelings show through even if you’re trying to hide them. Right now… right now feels like the perfect time.

“Onew, what are you doing?” she asks looking at me strangely.

“Christy,” I say bringing the box out of my pocket and opening it to reveal the ring inside. “Will you marry me? For real this time.”

“Onew,” Christy says as she stares at the ring in disbelief.

“I know that we’re already married and this is probably useless, but we got married because we wanted to keep the babies. We got married because we wanted our child. We didn’t have feelings towards each other, we were simply best friends, but after being married to you and living with you, I love you. There’s no other way to say it than I love you. I had a big proposal planned tonight for your birthday, but I figured that now is good. Now feels right.” I look at Christy but her eyes are glued onto the ring. “Look, I know it’s alright if you don’t accept, I just wanted to confess to you once and for all. I want to make it known that I love you.”

“Onew,” Christy suddenly says cutting off my words.

“Yeah?” I ask as I slowly bring my head to look at her. And that’s when it happens. That’s when my heart starts beating faster than ever imaginable and my eyes are forced shut because Christy is kissing me.

 

Christy’s POV

I don’t know what was going through my mind. I don’t know what I was supposed to do hearing those words from Onew. Suddenly, everything felt so real. The feelings that I had for Changmin were unexpectedly washed away with feelings for Onew. Just as he was there rambling on like a bumbling idiot with the ring presented to me, I realized that I loved him.

After all of this time waking up by one another and spending time with one another, no matter how much I attempted to convince myself that I liked Changmin and that there was no way that I would ever fall for Onew, I fell for him. I fell for my bumbling best friend.

“Christy,” Onew says as he puts our foreheads together after the kiss. Both of us are breathing deeply after what’s just happened. “What was that?”

“I…I don’t know,” I say as I manage to look right into his eyes.

“But let me get one thing clear. Is that a yes?”

I sigh as a smile creeps upon my face. “That is most definitely a yes.”

Once again, Onew’s lips are on mine as he is kissing me making me think that when we had first gotten married I told him that he would never get to kiss me again. But tonight, the night of my twentieth birthday, Onew has gotten two kisses from me. It’s funny how things can happen in such a short period of time.

Onew pulls away from the kiss and looks at me as he smiles and then looks down to the ring that’s in his hand. “Maybe you should put the ring on now.”

“Maybe,” I say smiling at him. “But how did you know to find me here?” I ask again as he’s putting the ring onto my finger.

“I remember what happened five years ago,” he simply says.

“What happened five years ago?”

“I didn’t know you would forget or I would’ve forgotten,” Onew says laughing as he ruffles the top of my head.

“Well just tell me since you remember,” I urge.

“Five years ago you had your first heartbreak. I was walking home and I happened to pass by here and I saw you crying. I came up to you and comforted you. Do you remember what I said? Probably not.”

But I do. I do remember what he said. As he began explaining it to me, the memory comes back. “You told me that you’d never let me experience another heartbreak. What a wonderful job you did,” I joke.

“Hey,” he says with an innocent face. “I’m here now, that’s all that matters, right? Like I promised you before, I’m never going to let you experience another heartbreak. Let’s get going,” he says as he grabs my hand and gets me off of the swing.

“Where are we going?” I ask as he puts me into a taxi.

“You’ll see when we get there,” he says.

Despite us just getting together, the ride is quiet. I look out the window and attempt to figure out where he’s taking me. Did he have something planned for my birthday? What’s nice about the ride, though, is that he doesn’t mention anything about why exactly I was sitting there. Does he know about Changmin? I guess he must’ve guessed that that was the reason why since I was just with him, but he doesn’t ask any questions. It’s like he doesn’t want to know or he thinks that it’s just something of the past and now I’m officially his.

I never thought that I would say that. I’m officially Onew’s, Lee Jinki’s. I always just thought of myself as his best friend. We could always rely on one another for anything, whether it was relationship advice or help with homework. No matter what we were always next to each other, but maybe that’s it. Maybe it’s because we were next to each other these feelings harbored until they were finally released.  I guess I didn’t notice it because of my fondness towards Changmin, but I’m glad that I noticed it now.

“Hey, Christy, we’re here,” Onew says and I automatically look out the window at a beautiful building. “Let’s go in.”

 

Onew’s POV

Is this actually happening? Am I actually holding Christy’s hand with meaning as we’re walking to the surprise party location? While Christy was looking out the window while we were driving, I managed to send a text to Key to tell him that I found Christy and that we were heading towards the venue now.

“Ready?” I ask looking at her.

“What is it?” she asks.

“You’ll see, you’ll see,” I mutter as I push open the doors.

“Surprise!” everyone yells much to the shock of Christy who stands there in awe. It’s the second time she’s been speechless tonight.

“Onew,” she says looking at me.

“Happy birthday,” I say, probably with a goofy grin on, but it doesn’t matter to me.

“A surprise party? When did you have time to get it together?”

“Key helped,” I say as I look over at the guys that are making their way over to where we’re standing. “He helped a lot. The other guys didn’t know about it until we dragged their lazy butts over here.”

“Happy birthday noona!” Ingguk yells as he runs up to Christy.

“Aw, thank you,” Christy says picking him up off the ground causing Key to elbow me.

“What?” I ask him.

“Did you already do it?” he whispers to me as he points towards the ring without letting anyone else knowing. Slowly, I nod my head. “Hey,” he says hitting me harder, “what happened to our wonderful plan?”

“There was no need for a plan. I just went with my feelings and things worked out this way,” I happily tell him. “But thank you for everything that you’ve done to help me.”

“You did it all yourself,” he says patting my back supportively.

“Well, why are we waiting here?” Taemin asks. “Let’s go party.”

I follow the group into the room until I feel a hand suddenly jerk me back. “Whoa,” I say as I look up and see Christy’s grandfather standing there.

“So, what is this news I hear?” he asks me.

“News?” I ask. “What news are you talking about?”

“You got my precious granddaughter pregnant?” he sternly asks. Should I be afraid at this point? Should I attempt to run? Am I going to get fried and eaten?

“Um…sir,” I begin.

“Well, is it true?”

“It is,” I say knowing that I’m not going to be able to hide the truth. “It is true that Christy is pregnant and we are expecting twins.” I had completely forgotten that he had no idea about her being pregnant. I guess this is what happens when we don’t tell the family about her being pregnant. None of them know, but I guess they’ll know after tonight.

“Well, I don’t know what I should say in situations like this.”

“Um…I’m not sure either,” I say hesitantly laughing, but he just looks right at me as his face slowly breaks out into laughter. “What?” I mutter.

“I was only joking with you,” he says smiling as he puts a supportive hand onto my shoulder. “I’m ecstatic that you two are going to become parents. I’m going to be a great-grandfather and I couldn’t feel any happier.”

“That’s…great,” I say relieved that he’s not going to eat me.

“You better take care of them, though,” he threatens as I quickly nod my head.

 

Christy’s POV

Onew planned a surprise party for me. He and Key went through the trouble of planning this all for my birthday. I feel surprised and touched and after what happened before, I wonder what else he did without me knowing.

Looking around the room, I don’t spot Changmin anywhere, but it’s not necessarily like I’m looking for him. I just want to know where to stay away from, but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to be a problem anytime soon.

“Are you enjoying yourself, birthday girl?” Key asks coming up to me.

“Thank you,” I say turning and hugging him. “Thank you for planning all of this.”

“No problem,” he says. “I’d do anything for the girl that Onew loves.”

“I’m the girl that he loves, huh,” I say as I look down at my drink. It still doesn’t feel possible that he loves me, but I look at the ring and it says it all.

“You love the ring, right? I helped him pick it out.”

“When did you do that?” I ask in shock. They really went behind my back to do all of this.

“One day,” he says shrugging his shoulders. “It’s not important, though. What is important is that you’re having a good time because today is your birthday and speaking of your husband, there he is.”

I look at where Key is looking and see Onew coming this way. Without even questioning it, he comes up to me and kisses me on the cheek. “I just had a conversation with your grandfather.”

“Was it bad?” I ask.

“Nope, he was telling me about how he was happy to be a great-grandfather, after he was threatening me,” I joke. “But we’re okay now. Speaking of, should we make the announcement here that you’re expecting twins? Not everyone knows you’re pregnant.”

“I guess, “I say shrugging my shoulders. “What else could I lose?”

“Okay,” Onew says grabbing my hand and going up on stage with me.

“What, now?” I ask.

“Why not? It’s better doing it right now while we’re thinking about it. I’ll say everything, don’t worry.” Onew drags me over to stand next to him with the microphone and I can already hear people whispering, probably about my ever-growing stomach. “Welcome to Christy’s birthday party. I’m glad that you could all make it and could make it a surprise for her.”

“Yeah, thanks,” I say with a nervous laugh.

“Anyway, we just wanted to tell you all something. Some of you may already know this and some may not, but Christy and I are expecting, we’re going to become parents and we’ve having twins,” Onew announces without a second care in the world. I can’t believe he just did that in front of everyone. By the looks of the crowd, it seems like most people take it well while others will probably have to get used to the idea of two twenty-year-olds becoming parents.

“I love you,” Onew says grabbing me close once we’re off the stage.

“I love you, too,” I tell him with a big smile before he crashes his lips onto mine. “And thank you for this wonderful birthday.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, most of you are probably saying finally, right :P

 

Anyway, what will the road look like from now on with Christy and Onew? Will Changmin and Christy ever make up? What will happen with Raina? Will Nicole return?

 

Here is Chapter 29. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And I'm not going to post the name polls anymore, but feel free to go back into the previous chapter and vote. The last thing I checked, Jinyoung was in the lead for boys and Minjin was in the lead for girls. Jinyoung had a good lead for boys, but for girls it seems like it can change at any second. So don't be afraid to vote :)