The Opposite

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Christy’s POV

“Grandpa?” I ask looking at him.

“Christy, I can’t believe that you didn’t tell me something like this earlier,” he remarks while crossing his arms across his chest. Sometimes he acts like a total teenager. He even has a stern look on his face. I can’t tell whether he’s happy or mad or just completely confused as to what he should fell right now. At least we’re not spilling the pregnancy part for now.

“Um…” I say as I look from side to side and see the nervousness on Onew’s face.

“Why didn’t you tell your favorite grandfather about your marriage?” he asks still with his stern face that doesn’t last for long because a smile breaks out. “Christina! I can’t believe that you’re getting married. Is this the lucky man?”

“Yeah,” I say. “Grandpa, this is Jinki, or he also goes by his nickname of Onew. Onew, this is my grandfather.”

“Please call me grandpa,” he says extending his hand to Onew who shyly takes it.

“Um, hello…grandpa,” Onew says with clear hesitation.

“Hello Onew,” he says as he gives him a sly look. Only when he’s around me will my grandfather pretend to be like a teenager. At least he’s taking the marriage news better than I expected. “So when are you love birds going to get married?”

“Next month,” I coolly respond as I look past him and see Changmin standing there staring at me. He just heard the whole marriage part. I sigh a little. He was going to hear it anyway.

“Already? How long have you guys been dating?” he enthusiastically asks.

“Um, if you excuse me,” I say to the both of them. “Grandpa, you can get to know Onew more and vice versa. I’ll be back.” I smile at the both of them before I make my way to go talk to Changmin.

“So, you’re getting married?” Changmin asks looking a bit hurt.

“Changmin-oppa,” I say as I approach him. “I wanted to tell you, I just didn’t know how.”

“That’s alright,” he says paining a smile. I sigh. I was a fool for believing that I would actually be able to keep this marriage thing from him a secret. Now that my grandfather is actually happy about this, he’s going to tell everyone that he knows that I’m going to get married.

“Listen…can we talk inside where people aren’t around?” I offer.

“Sure,” he says.

Changmin and I go inside the house together but not before I look over at Onew and my grandfather who look like they’re having a good time talking to each other. I hope that they bonded over something.

“What did you want to talk about?” Changmin asks as I close the door to one of the upstairs bedrooms.

“Listen, this marriage, it’s not even like I want to go through with it,” I tell him.

“Then is it arranged?”

“Kind of?” I ask shrugging my shoulder. I sit down on the bed next to him. This is the first time in a while that we’re having one of these talks with each other. It feels different than when I’m having a talk with Onew. I’m nervous and I feel like I’ll say the wrong thing at any time and cause Changmin to get mad at me. Even if Onew and I are best friends, Changmin was my first love and my first crush. Everything with him feels different.

“What do you mean kind of?” he asks. “Are you getting married to him or not?”

“Yeah,” I say.

“Do you want to get married to him?” he asks, his shoulders deflating.

“Well, that’s the thing,” I say as I take a deep breath in an attempt to calm my heart. “Oppa, I’m pregnant.”

 

Onew’s POV

“You like fried chicken too?” Christy’s grandfather’s asks. I guess I could just call him grandpa. He told me to after all.

“Do I ever?” I ask him as we both laugh. “Christy and I have this thing called Chicken Saturday where we spend the whole day eating chicken.”

“How in the world did you get my granddaughter to do that?” he asks surprised.

“Easy, we’ve been friends for a very long time,” I say. Her grandfather doesn’t seem as scary as before. Well, not that he ever seemed scary; he just seems a little bit more welcoming now than before for some reason. I still don’t know if he fully likes me yet or if this is just a test.

“So, how did you propose to Christina?”

“Propose?” I ask.

“Yeah, how did you know that she was the one for you?” he asks.

I stare at him and attempt to be thinking of a good time while I have nothing in my head. I guess I’m going to have to lean on my imagination for this one. “Well, it was about a month ago,” I start. “We’re getting married pretty fast, I know, but what can I say? Our parents want us to hurry up and get married since we’ve been friends for so long.”

“I understand the feeling,” he jokes.

“So it was a month ago and we were spending our Chicken Saturday together like always. I guess it wasn’t a very nicely planned proposal. I just woke up that day and realized that if I didn’t have her by my side for the rest of my life, I wasn’t going to be able to live. You know when you just have like a sudden thought of something?” He nods his head. “I had that feeling that I didn’t know what I would do if Christy ever left me. So I just told her that we should get married and she agreed.”

“That’s nice,” her grandfather says. “Short and sweet, no fancy stuff in between.”

“Right,” I say nodding my head. I’m not sure how to act around her grandfather, but he seems like a pretty awesome dude. I’d want him as my grandfather. Heck, I’d even take him as my grandmother.

“So, do you have any grandchildren planned for the future?” he suddenly asks causing me to choke on my water a little bit.

“Children?” I ask. Does he know about her pregnancy? They say that old people are pretty wise, does he sense that Christy is pregnant? This can’t be good, he was probably only pretending to be nice to me and now he’s dropping the bomb that he doesn’t like me when Christy isn’t around.

“Yeah, am I going to see some great-grandchildren in the future?” he asks. He’s starting to get all smiley and giggly at the thought of them.

“In the future yeah,” I say attempting to hide my nervousness towards this question. “We have to finish college and then find jobs and create a stable life for ourselves before we consider children.”

“But you never know,” her grandfather says elbowing me.

“Heh, yeah,” I say giving off a nervous laugh.

“That honeymoon time, no one knows what’s going to happen there.”

“Um…right.”

Her grandfather is really starting to creep me out. Talking about these topics is just completely…crazy. I mean, this is the first day that I’m meeting this guy and he’s already talking about making babies with his granddaughter. What old guy would be talking about that? I thought that Christy said that her family had traditional views on things and if this is traditional in her terms, then I have absolutely no idea what the world is doing anymore.

 

Christy’s POV

“You’re pregnant?” Changmin asks staring at me in disbelief.

“I’m pregnant,” I say nodding my head.

“How far along are you?” he asks looking at my stomach. “You don’t even show.”

“I’m only like two months?” I ask aloud. “Maybe a little more than that.”

“When did you find out?” he asks. The questions just keep coming and I guess they would keep coming.

“A month ago,” I say. “I’ve been engaged for a month, too.”

“So I’m guessing that that Onew guy is the father of the baby?” I nod my head. “Your parents are making you marry him, right?” I nod my head again.

We both sit in silence for a while. Changmin is probably taking in all of the information and I don’t know what to say to him. What do I say? It’s our first time meeting in a while and here I am spilling the news that I’m pregnant and that I’m getting married.

“Oppa,” I say breaking the silence, “I’m not getting married to him because I love him. I’m getting married to him in order to keep the baby.”

“What do you mean?” he asks looking at me causing my cheeks to get hotter.

“Um…my parents and his parents said that if we wanted to keep the baby, we had to get married to each other, but we have an agreement.”

“An agreement?” he curiously asks.

“An agreement saying that when we’re married we can do whatever we want.”

“You can do whatever you want?”

“Are you just going to question everything I say?” I joke with him. We both laugh. “Anyway, we can both do whatever we want. Whether we want to go out or just do whatever, it doesn’t matter. We’re both just friends and we both want to keep the baby.”

“Then that means that you both like each other,” he reasons.

“No it doesn’t,” I say shaking my head. “He’s a weirdo. I’m not going to like him,” I explain to Changmin. “We just have a baby together.”

“Then how did you get the baby if you don’t like him?”

“It was a mistake,” I say. “Even though I don’t want to call this baby a mistake, getting with him in the first place was a mistake. It was after exams, I didn’t know anything.”

“Oh,” Changmin says nodding his head up and down.

“Yeah, so do you understand it now?” I ask him.

“Slightly,” he says. “But it doesn’t matter.”

“Right,” I say standing up. “We should go out before anyone notices that we’re gone.”

“Right, but Christy,” he says as he gets up and follows me to the door.

“Yeah?” I ask turning around.

Before I can even react, I feel Changmin’s lips against mine for a brief second before he pulls away. I can feel the heat rushing to my face while he just gives a big smile and stares at me. “Christy, that was whatever, right? Let’s go before they suspect that you’re getting pregnant again,” he says as he drags me out of the bedroom with him.

 

Onew’s POV

After the awkward talk with her grandfather, I attempt to find Christy. I don’t know where she went and I don’t really know my way around this place. Even though two negatives are supposed to make a positive, this isn’t a positive at all. I just keep walking around in an attempt to find her.

“Are you looking for someone?” a voice says behind me. I turn around and am face to face with that girl from earlier, I think her name was Nicole.

“Um, no. I’m just exploring the property,” I say as I put my hands I my pockets.

“I think you were looking for someone,” she says.

“Say whatever you want to say,” I say as I begin to walk away, but she persistently follows me.

“So, you’re in university with unni?”

“Yeah,” I say as I continue walking. Doesn’t she realize that I’m not trying to talk with her, but I guess people just don’t understand sometimes.

“What are you majoring in?”

“You’re very curious, aren’t you,” I say turning around and looking at her.

“I’m a very curious person,” she says shrugging her shoulders. “So, why are you and unni getting married?”

“Because we love each other?” I ask as if she’s asking the stupidest question. Wait, she is…or maybe she’s not. Christy and I aren’t getting married because we love each other. We’re getting married because we want to keep the baby. So, maybe it’s not the stupidest question ever. “Do you have a boyfriend?” I ask attempting to make her stop all of the questions.

“No. Why? Do you want to be my boyfriend?” she asks while giving me suggestive looks. Okay, Christy’s family is officially weird. What happened to the scary family that she used to describe to me? Maybe that scary family was just a cover up for how her family really acts.

“I’m getting married. Wasn’t that just a question ago?” I ask.

“Hey Onew, hey Nicole,” Christy says coming up to greet us. She has some good timing…sometimes. “What are you guys doing?”

“Getting to know one another,” Nicole says with a bright smile. I give Christy a glare and it doesn’t take long for her to realize what I want her to do.

“Well, Nicole, if you would excuse us, there are other people that still have to know about my marriage with Onew,” she says interlocking my arms with hers.

Nicole just nods as we begin to walk away. “Thanks,” I mutter.

“She’s a talker, isn’t she,” Christy says slightly laughing.

“Hey, it’s you who decided to disappear,” I complain. “Where did you even go?” For some reason, at the mention of that, Christy’s face begins to get red. “Are you drunk?” I ask. “That’s not good for the baby. Drinking is definitely not good for the baby.”

“I’m not drunk,” she says. “It’s just…hot outside all of a sudden.”

“Sure it is,” I say giving her a sly look. She thinks she can lie, but I can see through everything. I may not necessarily know what’s going through her mind right now, but I know that there’s something going on and it has nothing to do with the weather.

“So, how did you and my grandfather get along after I left?”

“Yeah, thanks for leaving me,” I tell her again.

“Was he bad?”

“What happened to the traditional valued family that you told me about? The scary family? The one that you said would be judgmental and probably not like me? Huh?” I ask.

“So you want them to be judgmental and not accept you?” Christy asks.

“N-no,” I stutter, “but at least you could’ve warned me before your grandfather started talking about me making babies with you,” I whisper. At the mention of that, I see Christy’s eyes go wide like mine did when he was talking to me.

“He really said that?” she asks in disbelief. “He must really like you.”

“I have no idea why,” I say.

“He doesn’t really say that to anybody. He didn’t even say that to my father when he married my mother,” Christy says, “he must really like you.”

“Well, we did bond over chicken,” I say. “That brought us slightly closer.” I see Christy roll her eyes at my comment. Things just never get old.

 

Christy’s POV

Slowly, night falls and it’s finally time for us to make the long journey back home. My mind keeps wandering to the kiss that Changmin gave me earlier, even if it was just for a moment.

“Are you leaving?” Changmin asks as he sees me come into the room.

“Yeah, I’m leaving. Just thought that I’d give you a hug,” I say.

Changmin opens his arms wide and hugs me as I hug him back. “Don’t forget to keep in touch.”

“No problem,” I say. “If you’re ever near, don’t forget to tell me.”

“And I’m invited to the wedding?”

“Of course you’re invited to the wedding,” I say. “Maybe that’ll be the next time I see you.”

“I hope not,” Changmin says as he pulls away from the hug. “But you should get going now. It was nice seeing you again.”

“It was nice seeing you. Bye,” I say waving as I leave the room. Changmin waves back to me.

“Said all of your goodbyes?” Mom asks as we get into the car.

“Yup,” I say as I buckle my seatbelt next to Onew.

“A lot of the family is happy for your marriage. A lot more than I expected,” Mom states.

“Yeah,” Dad grumbles along. I don’t think he’s completely sold on this, though.

“And Grandpa liked Onew,” I add in.

“Jinki,” Mom says turning around to look at him. “How did you like meeting everyone?”

“They’re all so very open,” Onew says with a fake smile. I attempt to stifle my laugh. “They’re nothing like Christy told me in stories.”

“She probably made them a thousand times worse,” Mom says rolling her eyes. “Christina has a knack for telling stories.”

“I’ll say,” Onew mutters. I shoot him a glare that he doesn’t even see, but it doesn’t matter.

“I’m glad that you could get along with my father, though,” Mom continues telling Onew. “It’s very hard to get back onto the good side once you’ve gone to the bad side.”

“Mom, why did you tell him that?” I ask.

“No, I’m sure he won’t get on the bad side,” Mom quickly clarifies. “It’s  Jinki, everyone loves him.”

“Of course they do,” I say as I look at a proudly smiling Onew.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What will happen to Christy and Changmin in the future? What will Onew do when he finds out about it? What will their wedding be like? 

 

Here is Chapter 7. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

The graduation parties were a lot of fun and they were super tiring.

And jaedrug thanks :D