Meet the Family

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Onew’s POV

Faster than I had hoped, the day of the family reunion dawns. I find myself sitting in the car with Christy’s parents in the front seat while Christy is sitting besides me.

“You’ll really like our family,” Aunt says turning around from the passenger’s seat and smiling at me.

“Ah, yeah,” I say nervously. I know what Christy has told me about them and I can’t help but be nervous. To ensure that I give them a good first impression, Christy and I picked out my clothes yesterday. I’m just wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, nothing too fancy, but nothing too plain that makes me look like a hobo.

“Don’t be nervous,” Christy says as she grips my hand in an attempt to comfort me. “I’m sure that they’ll love you.”

“Not so sure about that,” Uncle mumbles.

“Dad!” Christy yells at him. “Don’t say such a thing. I’m sure that they’ll like him.”

“Yeah,” he says as he continues driving. I look at Christy who just shakes her head. She has faith that I’ll make a good impression, but I’m just going to try my best. It’s not like everything I wish for can come true.

I sigh as I stare out the window. Apparently the family reunion is held at the grandfather’s house that is in the country and according to Christy it is fairly large. Now I’m definitely nervous for this whole thing.

“Jinki, what is your family like?” Aunt asks attempting to ease the situation.

“Um, they’re so-so,” I say.

“So-so?” Christy asks looking at me.

“Yeah, so-so,” I say nodding my head. “I mean, there really is no other way to explain them, right?”

“I guess not, if that’s what you say,” she says slightly laughing.

“Well, yeah,” I say nodding my head and confident in my answer.

“Hey, Jinki, is your tux finalized yet?” Aunt asks.

“Um, not yet, Aunt,” I tell her. “We will be going tomorrow in order to make sure that everything is alright.”

“Is SHINee your groomsmen?” Christy asks.

“Yeah, and Taemin is going to be my best man,” I explain to her. “Since he’s been there for me like a good dongsaeng.”

“Who is SHINee?” Aunt asks jumping into the conversation. I don’t think she’s ever officially met them before. Maybe she met them in passing but I’m not entirely sure. I believe that they were over a couple of times, but Aunt and Uncle weren’t home, so maybe they don’t know who they are.

“Um, they’re my good friends,” I explain to her as I tap my leg in nervousness. I don’t know why I’m so nervous talking to her when I’ve always talked to her before. I guess I’m just nervous about meeting the family.

“It’s a group that he started in high school,” Christy says jumping in. “They started it because all of the girls were chasing after him.”

“I can believe it, you’re very handsome,” Aunt says. I slightly blush at her compliment. Even if she’s said it to me all of my life, it slightly has a different feeling now that Christy and I are about to get married. It has a more motherly feeling than before. It’s probably all in my head, though. “I bet your friends are handsome, too.”

“Not really,” I joke. Aunt smiles and Christy just gives me a look. Does she like one of the members of SHINee? I should be alright with it, though. We did agree to do whatever we want once we got married, like an open marriage. Yeah, we’re having an open marriage.

 

Christy’s POV

It takes a while, but we finally make it to the family reunion where they are children running everywhere. I definitely am not going to like it here. It’s not that I don’t like my family, it’s just that they can be very annoying and judgmental, which makes me annoyed by them. But they’re still my family, so I still love them nonetheless.

Like Onew and I had discussed, and my parents, we are saying that we’re getting married so we have to act as though we’re really in love with each other.

“Christina!” my cousin Nicole says running up to me.

“Hey, Nicole,” I say hugging her back.

“Who is this?” she asks turning her attention to Onew who is standing behind me awkwardly.

“Ah, this is my…” I say looking at him and not knowing what to address him as.

“I’m her fiancé,” Onew says coolly as he extends his hand.

“Fiancé?” Nicole asks me with wide eyes. I simply nod my head yes. “Unni, I didn’t know you were getting married.”

“Ah, yeah, well,” I say looking at her nervously. “I should introduce you guys. Nicole, this is my fiancé Jinki, but he goes by the name of Onew. Onew, this is my cousin, Nicole.”

“How long have you guys been going out?” she asks looking back and forth from the two of us.

“Ever since high school started,” Onew says giving a smooth answer. I don’t know how he knows how to lie so well. I don’t think Nicole would ever suspect something was up between the two of us.

“Wow, that’s a long time, and you both have already graduated,” she says admiring us both. “Does everyone already know about him?”

“No, not yet,” I say shaking my head. “That’s why we’re here today, so he can be introduced to the rest of them.”

“Do you want me to help you?” she asks offering herself.

“Um, sure,” I happily say.

Nicole and I interlock our arms as we walk through our grandfather’s large property. People are everywhere talking and doing whatever they just happen to be doing. A couple of them say hello to me and I respond back, but I don’t say anything to them about Onew and he doesn’t say anything back. I’m not even sure if many of them actually think that he’s with me, but I guess it’s pretty obvious since he’s following behind us like a lost puppy.

“Does he always do that?” Nicole whispers to me and slightly points behind to the somewhat sulking Onew.

“Um, slightly?” I ask. “He’s kind of weird in his own way, if you understand what I mean.”

“Yeah, I completely understand. He’ll fit right in,” she happily says.

“Yeah,” I say agreeing with her, but I don’t know about that.

“Who do you want to see first, Mom and Dad?” she suggests.

“I guess,” I say nodding my head. “I haven’t seen you guys for ages.”

“You can introduce your fiancé to them. Unni, I still can’t believe that you’re getting married. You’re only nineteen.”

“I know,” I say nodding my head. Even if Nicole isn’t as judgmental as the rest of them, there is still the bit that’s in her genes. It’s showing a bit now. “But we love each other so it’s alright.”

“Love overcomes everything, unni,” Nicole says with a smile. “Oh look, there’s Mom and Dad.”

 

Onew’s POV

I follow behind Christy and Nicole as they walk somewhere. This property is huge and I can’t believe how large Christy’s family is. It looks like there are a lot of cousins and family members. I’m guessing that her grandfather must have had a lot of children.

I don’t know what Nicole’s reaction towards me is. It seems like she’s pretty shocked about Christy marrying, but only if she knew the whole truth. I just have to pretend like I’m a loving boyfriend to Christy. Not that I’m not loving, it’s just that we have to pretend to be boyfriend and girlfriend. I guess being good friends is an advantage.

I don’t know where Aunt and Uncle went, though. They probably went to go talk with some family that they haven’t seen for a while. Maybe they are spreading the word about the marriage. I’m still worrying about whether or not this family will accept me, but it seems like they will. I mean, they don’t seem that bad.

“Onew?” Christy asks looking back at me.

“Ah, yeah?” I ask snapping back into reality.

“This is my aunt,” she says introducing one of her aunts. “It’s Nicole’s mother.”

“Ah,” I say immediately bowing. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“What a polite young man,” she says admiring me. “And you’re handsome.”

“Thank you,” I say bowing once again.

“This is Jinki,” Christy says getting through the introductions. “His nickname is Onew and he’s my fiancé.”

“Christy, you’re getting married?” she asks. I’m not sure if that’s wonder or disgust in her face. It seems like it’s hard to tell, but it appears that she may be slightly happy for us.

“Yes,” Christy says. She seems so polite when she’s around family but when she’s just being her normal self, she’s nothing like that. Does she always pretend to be someone else when she’s with her family? Are there other sides to her that I’ve never seen before?

“Well, Christy, I wish you luck for your future,” she says with a smile before she takes off.

I just stare at her as she walks away to go talk with someone else. This family is really strange.

“Unni, I’m just going to go find some other people,” Nicole announces.

“Okay, I’m going to show Onew around,” Christy says as she and Nicole wave their goodbyes.

After Nicole leaves, Christy turns around and looks at me. “It’s not bad,” I say answering her question. She probably wants to know what I think of everything or everybody.

“That’s good,” she says with a slight smile of relief. “I was thinking that you would’ve thought they were too stuck up.”

“Well,” I say cocking my head to the side.

“Don’t need to tell me twice, I already know they are,” she says giving a supportive smile.

“But many of them seem to like that we’re getting married to each other,” I point out.

“You never know,” she says shrugging her shoulders as we start walking again.

“What do you mean?” I ask her.

“I mean, they may seem happy on the outside, but they may be totally cursing us on the inside. That’s what my family is like.”

“Well, I completely see where you get it from,” I joke with her.

“Hey,” she says pointing her finger at me. “If you’re a good boy, then I’ll get you some chicken.”

“Chicken?” I ask, my ears suddenly perking up at the word.

“Yes, I’ll get you chicken, but only if you promise to meet my grandfather.”

“Meet your grandfather,” I repeat. “It’s pretty obvious that I have to meet him anyway.”

“Be quiet,” she says playfully hitting me. I can only laugh.

“Christina?” a male’s voice asks. The both of us turn and look at the same time.

 

Christy’s POV

Onew and I both turn around to where the voice is coming and my mouth opens immediately. “Changming-oppa?” I ask looking at me.

“I knew it was you,” he says with a bright smile as he walks over and envelops me in a hug.

“What are you doing here?” I ask.

“Well, your family still invites me every year,” he admits shyly.

“That’s alright, you’re practically a part of the family,” I tell him. “Ah, that’s right,” I say remembering Onew’s presence besides me. “Changmin-oppa, this is Jinki, or Onew. Onew, this is my good friend Changmin.”

I can see that the look on Onew’s face is slightly confused, but I don’t want to do anything embarrassing in front of Changmin. Actually, he’s my first crush and he could be considered my first love. Originally, he was one of my relative’s friends and he came to the family reunion. That’s how we got to know one another. He lived slightly close by, not too close, but not far away that we couldn’t be able to meet each other.

“Nice to meet you,” Onew says nevertheless as he extends his hand.

“Nice to meet you, too,” Changmin says as he shakes his hand. The atmosphere is kind of awkward here. “Well, I should get back to what I was doing, but it was nice seeing you again, Christy. Maybe we should keep in touch more.”

“Sure,” I say slightly blushing at the thought of hanging out together with him.

“Your number is still the same as before, right?”

“It should be,” I say thinking about it. “I don’t think I’ve changed it.”

“Okay,” Changmin says with a smile. “I’ll contact you after the family reunion sometime.”

“Shouldn’t you get going, oppa?” I playfully joke.

“That’s right,” he says. “I’ll see you later. Bye.”

“See you later,” I tell him.

Once Changmin leaves, Onew and I find a spot and sit down. “Is he a relative?” Onew asks pointing in the general direction where Changmin left.

“No,” I shyly say shaking my head.

“I’ve never seen this side of you before,” Onew remarks as he stares at me in shock. “You’re shy and polite. Does your family really change you that much?”

“Not really,” I say shaking my head. “It’s just…sometimes.”

“Was he your first love?”

“What?” I ask immediately turning around. How in the world did he know?

“We grew up together, how could you not tell me about your first love?” Onew asks. He seems pretty upset about it.

“Well,” I say attempting to make up an excuse, but it’s useless. I can’t lie to him.

“I’m not mad,” Onew quickly says. “We all have first loves and crushes.”

“Right,” I say nodding my head. I don’t know why I have this strange feeling inside of me as I look at Onew. Am I feeling pity for him? So maybe I do feel a little sorry for him. “Hey, let’s go get you some food,” I say standing up. Food will probably make him feel a little bit better.

“Okay,” Onew happily says as he stands up. “You need some food too for the baby.”

“Shh,” I say putting my hand over his mouth. “Remember, we’re not saying anything about the baby.”

“Oh right, forgot,” he says in a sort of sing-song voice. “Let’s go get some food.”

 

Onew’s POV

I never knew that Christy had a first love before. I guess it’s only natural, but I mean, I thought I knew everything about her. It appears that I don’t, but that’s alright with me.

As Christy and I walk through the house, some people congratulate her on the marriage and talk to us for a little bit. I guess her parents have been doing their rounds and announcing it. By people coming up and congratulating us, it only makes the marriage seem even more real. It makes me realize how real this baby thing is, even if it’s not by much.

“Whoa, this food is amazing,” I say taking another bite.

Christy and I have decided to take up space in the living room where there are some of her family members talking about past stories and memories. I laugh right there along with the rest of them until Christy interrupts.

“Hey, there is my grandfather,” she whispers pointing out the window. “Let’s go greet him.”

“Now?” I ask with my mouth full. “I haven’t even finished my food yet.”

“You’ll get to finish it later,” she says as she grabs my hand and picks me up off of the couch. I gently place my plate on the table in front of me so it doesn’t spill as I reluctantly follow Christy outside.

“Couldn’t we just do this later?” I ask.

“I found him now, we should do it now,” she says. “And remember, we have to pretend to be boyfriend and girlfriend. We’re getting married.” Immediately Christy interlocks our fingers with each other. “There, we look like we’re a couple.”

“Yeah,” I say nodding my head as I look down at our hands. Her hand feels very warm; maybe she’s developing a mother’s touch.

“Grandpa!” she yells once we’re outside.

The tall older guy turns around and greets us. “Christina! I was wondering when I’d get to see you,” he says slightly laughing. For some reason he reminds me of Santa Clause. He just gives off that warm appearance.

“Grandpa, there’s something I’d like to tell you,” Christy says while her grandfather is squeezing the life out of her.

“And who is this young man?” he asks noticing me.

“Well, it’s about him,” she shyly says.

“Are you guys dating?” he curiously asks looking at the both of us waiting for one of us to give some sort of yes or no answer.

“Um, no,” Christy begins. Did her grandfather’s face slightly fall? “We’re going to get married.”

“What?” her grandfather yells earning the glances of everyone that’s around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What will Christy's grandfather's reaction be to the news that they're getting married? How will things work out between Christy and her first crush/love Changmin? What will Onew's reaction be to them?

 

Here is Chapter 6. Hope you enjoyed :D

And I may not be able to update for a couple of days. I know that I've updated every day so far, but I don't think I'll be able to for two days. Right now it's almost 1 A.M. where I am and I have a graduation party later today and then tomorrow is my own graduation party, so I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll have time, but if I do, I'll be sure to attempt to write and update.