Guardians

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Christy’s POV

I wake up to the loud clatter of pots and pans that causes my head to pound a little. Gently, I open my eyes and see that Onew is still lying in his typical spot. I look at his sleeping face for a second before it hits me that Onew isn’t the one making the noise then. Not only that, but he can sleep through anything, so the noise won’t be bothering him as much as it’s bothering me.

I turn over to the other side and see Taemin staring at me. “Woah,” I say jumping a little.

“Good morning noona!” he slightly yells with a bright smile.

“Um…good morning,” I say not knowing how to react to him being right by the bed. Then it hits me that SHINee moved in yesterday because I’m pregnant and Onew has a broken leg. I attempt to get out of bed, but Taemin’s arm stops me. Despite his scrawny appearance, he’s quite strong.

“You can’t get out of bed, you’re forbidden to.”

“Forbidden?” I ask. “By who?”

“By Key-hyung,” he says. “They’re making you breakfast and you’re not supposed to leave the bed. They’re going to bring it up to you.”

“I can still move,” I tell him. “I’m not that pregnant yet.”

“Key-hyung and Jonghyun-hyung don’t want you to do anything to harm the baby,” Taemin says sitting back down in his chair.

“What about Minho then?” I ask.

“He doesn’t want you damaging the baby, either.”

“But you didn’t mention him,” I say putting Taemin in a trap.

“I didn’t because he’s not here right now. He went out early in the morning to do his exercising, but he’s worried for you nonetheless.”

I nod my head and keep a quite engaging conversation with Taemin before the breakfast comes. We manage to talk about the pregnancy and he keeps asking if he’ll be able to play with the baby once it’s here. I guess Onew told him that he’s not allowed to play with it. I’d be good if the baby has some playmates, and I’m positive that Taemin would be on a good level with it. All of SHINee would be.

Taemin’s and my head perk up when we hear the doorknob turn. I see Key and Jonghyun attempting to come into the room stealthily, which I laugh at since I’m already awake and Onew sleeps like a log.

“Hyung, noona is already up,” Taemin announces causing them to slightly jump.

“Great.  Breakfast in bed,” Key announces with a smiling face as he sits the tray in front of me.

“Jonghyun-hyung, wake up Onew-hyung,” Taemin says.

Smiling after Taemin’s suggestion, Jonghyun goes over to Onew and begins hugging him and poking his face. “Egh,” Onew grunts as he turns over to face the other side.

“Let’s not bother with them,” Key says bringing my attention back . “Why don’t you eat some of the breakfast that we so lovingly made this morning?”

“So that’s what the racket was,” I joke.

“Did we wake you up?” Key asks.

“No problem, I normally get up at this hour anyway,” I tell them as I bite into some of the waffle. “Wow, it’s really good.”

“Awesome,” Key says with a bright smile. “I did all of the work. That guy over there just stood and watched me.”

“It’s because he wouldn’t let me do anything,” Jonghyun complains as he attempts to wake Onew up, but it’s still failing. “Christy, kiss him.”

“Are you crazy?” I ask looking at all of them.

“Fine,” Jonghyun says rolling his eyes. “Taemin, kiss him.”

 

Onew’s POV

I wake up to a strange sensation on my face. I open my eyes to see Taemin quickly kiss me on the lips. “Blech,” I say automatically sitting up in bed and wiping off my lips. “My innocent lips have now been ruined.”

“Not like they weren’t ruined before,” Key comments.

“Why are you all in my room?” I ask looking around at them. Turning over, I see that Christy is already awake and eating food.

“We made breakfast for you, here,” Key says playing a tray in front of me.

“What wonderful dongsaengs,” I say with a smile as I start eating. “It’s good. Did Key make it this time?”

“No, Jonghyun-hyung did,” Taemin says with a smile. That’s how I know that he’s joking.

“Key would never let him cook,” I say rolling my eyes. I know this group all too well.

“After you guys are finished your breakfast, we’re going to go out,” Key announces.

“Out?” Christy asks. “What do you mean?”

“Well, your stomach is getting bigger day by day,” Jonghyun says pointing at Christy.

“Don’t point that out!” I yell at him. “It’s rude to point out a girl’s weight. It’s like pointing out your height.”

“Jeez, harsh much?” Jonghyun asks eyeing me, but I simply laugh at it. He gets so sensitive when talking about his height.

“Anyway, we just thought that we could do some shopping for maternity clothes. You know how much we like shopping,” Key says.

“But he has a broken foot,” Christy says pointing over to me.

“He has crutches; he can learn how to walk with them. Let’s go,” Taemin urges. In the end, the only thing that we can do is tag along.

After breakfast, Christy and I get ready to go to the mall like they want to. I have no idea why we’re doing what they want to when it’s our house, but I guess we have no choice. And Jonghyun’s driving, but thankfully we manage to get there successfully without any more accidents…so far.

The five of us walk through the mall aimlessly. Key wanted to come here to search for maternity clothes for Christy and there is always the possible baby clothing while I have to learn how to maneuver on my crutches.

“Are you okay?” Christy asks turning around and looking at me as I get walking down, or at least an attempt.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I tell her. “Why?”

“Oh, it just seems like you were struggling a bit.”

“It’s all part of getting used to it,” I say smiling to her, but was she actually worried about me? I feel happy knowing that at least she cares about me.

But why wouldn’t Christy care about me? We are best friends and even though we’re now married and expecting a baby together, that doesn’t make us stop being best friends, it just means that it’s different now. She worried about me before just like I worried about her, but maybe it’s because everything has a different meaning now.

Maybe Christy and I are afraid that one of us will end up liking the other one. We’re probably both worried that if we show too much affection towards the other, we’ll start getting the wrong idea about our marriage. Is that it? Is that what’s worrying Christy? Is that what’s even worrying me?

 

Christy’s POV

I sigh as I turn back around and let Jonghyun help Onew while Key and Taemin are pointing at every shop that we should go into. I should go back there and help, but it wouldn’t be good since Onew could fall and then I could fall and possibly injure the baby. We don’t want that to happen.

“Let’s go there,” Key says pointing to a store. “They probably have a maternity section.”

We all follow Key into the store and let him navigate his way through since it looks like he knows this place better than anyone else. “There,” Taemin says pointing.

“The stuff here doesn’t look bad,” I say as I first lay my eyes on it. It doesn’t look like the typical maternity type clothes. Actually, most of the clothes look kind of cute.

“See, I’m awesome, right?” Key asks with a smile.

“Of course,” I say smiling back.

In the end, Key and I are the only ones that are continuing to shop in the store with Taemin going to look at some clothes for himself and Onew and Jonghyun sitting outside on a bench since they’re both exhausted, or so they say.

“So, what do you want the baby to be?” Key asks while we’re searching through racks of maternity clothes. He’s the second person to ask me that question, but I’m sure a lot of people will be asking me soon enough.

“I don’t know,” I say shrugging my shoulders. “Either a boy or a girl is nice.”

“Well of course it has to be one of those. Do you expect it to be a goat?”

“No,” I say lightly laughing at his joke. “I just…a boy or a girl is fine. I’m not going to be picky.”

“Are you going to tell whether it’s a boy or a girl beforehand? This looks cute,” he says to himself as he pulls out a shirt.

“I don’t think so,” I say shaking my head as I look at the shirt that he’s found. “I think I want to be surprised when the baby comes. Our parents were probably already expecting that and that’s why they made the baby’s room a neutral color and set one up in the first place.”

“Do you have any names for the baby, though? If it’s a boy you should name it after me. Kibum, then it could take right after me.”

“Who knows,” I say shrugging my shoulders.

“I just can’t wait for you to have this baby.”

“Really?” I ask quite surprised. I didn’t know that the members of SHINee would be this excited for me to have this baby.

“Really,” he says nodding his head and gathering the clothes that we’re going to buy. “All of us are. We can be like the baby’s guardians and protect it from danger.”

“Well, if we ever need a babysitter, we’ll call you.”

“So you and hyung can go on a date night?”

“I never said that,” I interrupt him, being quite surprised that he actually said that.

“But you were probably thinking it,” he says pointing a finger at me. “Are you hungry?”

“Why the sudden question?”

“Because normally aren’t pregnant people always hungry?”

“But we like just ate breakfast.”

“So? It’s already like eleven,” he says looking at his phone. “We can get some food after this.”

I sigh and just follow Key to the register. He likes to take control so there is really nothing else that I can do. It’s just going to be Key being Key forever.

 

Onew’s POV

“Have fun shopping?” I ask Christy when she comes out of the store with Key and Taemin is trailing behind them. It looks like she had fun shopping, she has a really big bag with her.

“I got a lot of stuff,” Christy says holding up the bag. “Maybe I’ll feel more comfortable in these now than in my regular clothes.”

“Comfort is always needed,” I remark.

“We’re going to go to the food court. Christy is hungry,” Key announces.

“Not really,” she says shaking her head.

“You should eat,” I urge. “The baby is growing inside of you and it’s only natural for you to feel hungry.”

“Look at someone being a dad,” Jonghyun says slapping me on my back.

“Heh, yeah,” I say nodding. “That’s more than you can say.”

“That’s because I’m not expecting a kid,” he says sticking his tongue out.

Slowly, Jonghyun and I follow the rest of them to the food court. The whole crutches thing isn’t that bad anymore. I’ve gotten quite used to it, so I don’t know why he’s still hanging around me.

“Hey, do you like Christy?” he asks.

“Of course I like her, why wouldn’t I like her?” I ask. “We’re married.”

“Yeah, but you probably only married for the baby,” he says. He is true, but I’m not going to tell him that. He doesn’t need to know that we got married just so we could have the baby. I wasn’t going to let Christy get rid of it. That just wasn’t an option. “See, you did, you didn’t answer,” Jonghyun says pointing at me.

“We’re best friends, dork,” I say hitting him on his head.

“Yeah, but somewhere the lines of friendship become faint, especially when you’re married.”

“Well, our lines of friendship are pretty clear right now,” I admit.

“I saw how you guys were reacting in the photoshoot before the wedding, though. It was perfectly natural for you guys to be acting like a loving couple.”

“Have you ever heard of acting?” I ask him.

“So you guys aren’t loving?”

“No, look, it’s just…different,” I say as we manage to make our way to the table that they’re sitting at. “Your relationship with girls and my relationship with Christy are two completely separate things.”

“Whatever you say,” he whispers in my ear as we sit down. “I think the friendship line is becoming hazy in your view.”

I glare at him as he sits down. He really doesn’t mean that, right? Sure, I enjoy having Christy’s company by my side, but that’s because I’m slowly getting used to this marriage idea. I don’t like Christy, well, I like her, but not in the sense that I like her like I love her. She’s my good friend, I’ve known her since we were younger and now we’re married and having a baby. People would see it as an idea relationship; I just see it as… Actually, I don’t know what I see it as.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Taemin asks.

“What? Oh, yeah,” I say registering the question.

“Okay, so Christy wants pizza. Onew, do you want anything?” Key asks.

“I’ll just have pizza,” I say nodding.

“We’ll just order a whole pizza then. Jonghyun, Taemin, come with me,” Key demands. Without any questions asked, they get up from the table and go with Key to order the pizza leaving Christy and me alone at the table.

With Jonghyun’s words circling around in my head, I feel a little nervous now. I totally shouldn’t feel nervous, but that feeling is there. The feeling of not knowing what to do or what to say is present right now. Why am I over-thinking this?

 

Christy’s POV

I stare at Onew. He actually doesn’t look bad today. Not that he ever looks completely horrible; it’s just that…oh I don’t know. It’s probably because I live with him and see him every day now, well…only for a couple of days now, that I’m slowly getting used to his presence. At least getting out of the house is better for both of us because if SHINee had it their way, we’d still be lying in bed totally helpless.

“Well, this is a fun day,” I say starting the conversation.

“It is,” Onew says turning and smiling at me.

“Look, about Nicole,” I say starting hesitantly.

“What about her?” Onew asks curiously.

“I don’t want you to go near her.”

“Why? Are you jeaous?” he asks poking at my cheek since he’s sitting right next to me.

“No, I’m not jealous. I just…I just don’t want to see you get hurt if you fall for her,” I warn. “She’s broken many hearts and she lies to many people.”

“Don’t worry,” Onew says reaching out and touching my cheek. I like the warmth of his hand on my face. Wait, why am I thinking that? “I’m not going to get close to Nicole.”

“I hope not,” I say crossing my arms.

“I think someone’s jealous,” Onew says in a sing-song voice.

“I’m not, for the second time,” I tell him. “I’m just worried about you.”

“So you’re worried about me. Thank you,” he says getting close to me. I immediately close my eyes to feel pressure on my forehead. Gradually, I open my eyes to see Onew kissing my forehead.

“Hey I told you that you weren’t going to get any more kisses from me,” I complain.

I gave you a kiss, you didn’t kiss me,” he says. “And did you think that I was going to kiss you on the lips?”

“No,” I say shaking my head.

“If it isn’t the two lovebirds,” Key says walking over with the pizza. Just in time, thankfully.

The five of us being eating and my mind goes to the kiss on my forehead earlier. Why it’s replaying in my mind I’ll probably never know, but it felt nice and comforting. That’s what a best friend does, though, they’re nice and comforting whenever I’m down and need someone to be there for. But isn’t that what a husband or a boyfriend does? They’re there when their girlfriends needs them, for the good times and the bad.

Slowly, my mind starts wandering to Nicole. Why did I tell Onew to stay away from her? Sure, I know she lies and takes advantage of people for her own personal gain, but would it pain me to see them together? Why?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the feelings that Christy and Onew are starting to feel? When will Changmin and Nicole make their next appearance? How is live going to continue with the SHINee members?

 

Here is Chapter 13. Sorry it took so long, stupid computer problems :P Hopefully they're all fixed now, though. Well, using my sister's charging chord for the time being, but...at least it's better and I can update now.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter :D

And the poll is still open. Having a baby girl is in the lead right now, but not by much. Should the baby be a boy or a girl? Vote below!