An Eventful Night

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Onew’s POV

“So…this is…interesting,” I say as we’re sitting at the dinner table. Christy’s parents and my parents both insisted that Raina stay for dinner. I bet they’re attempting to figure out our ties with each other, well my ties with Raina. It doesn’t look good to come home with another girl, especially when parents are involved, but it’s not like I even meant to have Raina come home with me. I didn’t want her to, but she just insisted.

“So,” Aunt says looking at me. “What is your relationship to…”

“Raina,” Raina says. “Hello, my name is Oh Hyerin, Raina is simply a nickname for me.”

“Raina,” Mom says picking up where Aunt left off. “What is your relationship to Jinki?”

“We’re—,” Raina begins, but I cut her off.

“We’re just friends,” I tell them. “We were just hanging out a bit after school, that’s all.” I look at everyone and it doesn’t seem as though they believe me. “We’re really just friends,” I emphasize.

“I thought you were with SHINee after school,” Christy says giving me a confused look.

“I…I was,” I say as the lies start pouring out. “But then I separated and I ran into Raina and we just decided to go together.” I take a quick glance at Raina who wants to say something and refute what I just said, but I give her a look and she seems to understand. Although, she’s probably very confused about what’s going on since she has no idea about my and Christy’s relationship with one another. This must be a very awkward atmosphere for her.

“So, do you all like the meal?” Aunt asks striking up the conversation on a different topic.

“It’s good,” Key says complimenting it.

“One of the best things I’ve ever eaten,” Taemin chimes in.

“Christy made it,” Aunt says complimenting her.

The chicken is really good and I would’ve never bet that in a thousand years she would’ve made something like this. I bet both of our mothers helped her, but that doesn’t matter to me.

“Christy, you’re a good cook,” Raina says giving her a smile, but I know that deep down they’re probably cursing each other since they don’t really have a good friendship with one another.

“So Jinki, how do you like your wife’s cooking?” Dad asks looking at me. At the mention of the word wife, I can feel Raina immediately looking at me.

“It’s…it’s good,” I say with a smile. “You did a really good job, Christy.”

I quickly take a glance over at Raina who just nods her head and starts picking at her food. The news probably comes as shock, but I was going to tell her sometime, I mean, I have to. I’m married and even if Christy and I are allowed to do whatever, I don’t want to.

“Um, thanks,” Christy awkwardly says. She probably realized before that Raina knew nothing about our marriage. I don’t know what’s going through her mind, though.

“Christy,” Raina says, speaking first since she heard about the marriage. “You weren’t in school today, is everything alright?”

“You mean you didn’t hear?” Uncle asks. Great, is this what’s always going to happen whenever our parents are over for dinner?

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about,” Raina says as politely as possible.

“Christy is taking a leave off of school for the year,” Aunt announces. “Since she’s pregnant and it’s her first child, we all figured that she should be taking care of herself more than ever, even if she’s not that far along and can probably do things, we want to be safe at all possible costs.”

Great, what’s going to happen now?

 

Christy’s POV

“Thanks for helping me clean up,” I tell Key and Taemin as they help bring the last of the dishes into the kitchen. Mom, Dad, Auntie, and Uncle already left soon after dinner since they have to go to work tomorrow. As far as I know, Onew, Raina, Minho, and Jonghyun are in the living room doing nothing.

“No problem, noona,” Taemin proudly announces. “Here, I’ll help you dry.”

“And I can put them away,” Key says as both he and Taemin line up next to me.

“Thanks, but you guys don’t have to be doing all of this.”

“We live here, we should all equally help,” Key says.

“Oh, okay,” I say ultimately giving into their request.

“Sorry I didn’t say anything that could help you at dinner,” Taemin tells me. “I didn’t really want to interrupt your parents.”

“It’s no problem,” I tell them with a smile. “That’s what parents are going to do, right?”

“I guess,” Key says as he begins putting some of the dishes away.

“But can you guys tell me the truth?” I ask.

“Sure, what do you want to know?” Taemin asks me.

“Was Onew really with you guys after school today?” I see both of their expressions freeze and they also freeze what they’re doing. “I take that as he wasn’t.”

“Noona, it wasn’t like that,” Taemin says.

“Of course,” I say sighing.

For some reason, I feel really bad now. I don’t know, but it feels like my mood and my energy level just took a huge nose dive. Am I really jealous about Raina and Onew? I can’t be, I mean, I spent the whole day with Changmin and they don’t know that. Why should I feel bad about Onew being with Raina when I spent the whole day with Changmin? It’s not like this marriage is even something that the both of us want, we just both want the baby.

“She came onto him,” Key says attempting to ease the situation. “She came onto him the whole day.”

“But he didn’t do anything about it, right?” I ask as silence befalls us for a couple of seconds. “It’s alright guys,” I say putting on a big smile. “I’ll be alright, you guys don’t have to lie to me.”

“Are you really okay, noona?” Taemin worriedly asks.

“I’m positive,” I say. “Let’s get the dishes done and then we can go back out into the living room with everyone else, alright?”

“If you say so,” Key says as he begins to put them away again as Taemin begins to dry them.

“So, how was school for the both of you? Gosh, I feel like a mother already.”

“Well, your child won’t start school for a while,” Key says as he laughs. “But it was alright.”

“Mine was alright, too,” Taemin announces.

“That’s good, I feel happy hearing that.”

“You should, it’s good to feel happy when you’re pregnant. After all, it’s one of the happiest times of your life,” Taemin says.

“Yeah, I still have like twenty-five weeks left,” I tell them. “The baby won’t be here for a while.”

“Hey, twenty-five weeks will probably go by in the blink of an eye,” Key announces. “You just never know.”

 

Onew’s POV

“Um…do you want me to walk you home?” I offer to Raina.

“You have a broken leg,” she says pointing at it.

“Doesn’t matter,” I tell her. “It’s not good for a woman to be walking late at night.”

“Do you tell that to your wife?” she asks as she stands up from the couch and makes her way towards the door.

“Hey, can you guys tell the rest of them that I’m walking Raina home?” I ask before I do my best to catch up with her.

“Sure!” Minho yells as I’m already out the door.

“Raina, wait, please,” I say in an attempt to catch up to her.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were married?” she asks turning around. “Why didn’t you tell me that Christy was pregnant?”

“I thought you didn’t like Christy and the topic never came up,” I honestly tell her. “Plus, I thought that if you knew that I was married to Christy, you wouldn’t like that so much because you don’t like her. Hence I didn’t say anything.”

“I was a fool today,” she says as she starts walking again. “To tell you that I like you when in return I find out that you’re married.”

“Look, Raina,” I tell her. “I didn’t mean to keep it from you, but it just happened fast.”

“And the baby? Christy’s pregnant? Did you marry her because you felt sorry for her since she slept with a random guy? Are you two married because you felt like her baby needed a father figure when the child wasn’t going to have one in the first place?” she angrily asks as she stops walking once again.

Even if she is saying those things out of anger, it somehow hurts me knowing that she could make those assumptions without even knowing the full story. In reality, she’s discretely bad-mouthing me since I’m the father of the baby. Only, she doesn’t know that I’m the father of the baby.

“Why did you marry her?” Raina asks again, but with even more anger in her voice. “Why do you take pity on such a girl like that? Just because she’s your best friend and you grew up together doesn’t exactly mean that you guys have to do everything together.”

“Just stop!” I finally yell having enough.

“What?” she asks looking at me in disbelief.

“Just stop, that’s enough,” I tell her in a slightly calmer voice.

“Are you sticking up for her now?”

“Yes, I am sticking up for her because she’s my wife,” I tell Raina. “She’s my wife and it doesn’t matter to me that she’s pregnant because I’m the father of the baby.”

“You? You slept with her?”

“Yes I did,” I say. “I don’t even know what I ever saw in you in the first place.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“I’m not kidding, I’m the father of the baby and I didn’t marry her out of pity, I married her because I love her and I want to be there for her and the baby.”

“You love her?” Raina asks as her voice gets softer.

“I do,” I say nodding my head. “I love her; do you have a problem with it?”

“No…just…just don’t follow me,” she says as she walks away leaving me standing there.

“Nicely played,” a voice says from behind me I turn around to see where it’s coming from.

“Changmin,” I say as our eyes meet.

 

Christy’s POV

“Where did Onew and Raina go?” Key asks as we walk into the living room.

“Onew went to go walk her home,” Minho responds without even looking up from the television.

“Oh,” I quietly say as I sit down. He must really still have a crush on her. I always knew about his crush, and even if I didn’t like her, I still supported him since we are good friends. At least it looks like they’re getting somewhere, but I can’t say anything since Onew and I are supposed to be a loving couple.

“Don’t worry, he still likes you,” Taemin says with a bright smile.

“Yeah, of course,” I awkwardly say.

“What’s with this weird atmosphere?” Jonghyun asks.

“Fix it then,” Minho yells at him.

“Christy, what did you do all day?” Jonghyun asks me.

“I just…stayed at home,” I tell them.

“And did nothing all day? I would be bored out of my mind,” Jonghyun says as he stretches.

“Well, I had some company,” I begin to admit. I guess with knowing that Onew was with Raina all day, it wouldn’t be that bad to say that Changmin came over.

“Who?” Taemin asks adjusting himself so that he can look at me.

“Changmin-oppa?” I hesitantly say as I look at everyone.

“He came over? Why?” Key suddenly asks. It feels like the atmosphere in the room just got very tense.

“He’s the one that called me,” I say not wanting things to get worse than how it seems like they’re already getting. Why do they get tense at the mention of Changmin’s name?

“Why did he call you?” Taemin asks as he attempts to be the mediator.

“He just wanted to tell me that he and Nicole are transferring schools,” I nervously announce.

“You mean that he and the annoying one are coming here and are going to be our classmates?” Key asks almost jumping out of his seat.

“Well…yeah,” I say unable to look at them. “I didn’t know about it, though,” I quickly add. “He just told me today how they’re transferring and they’re going to live at the dorm to be closer to me and the baby.”

“You should keep watch on him, though,” Key says as he crosses his arms.

“Why?” I ask. What’s so bad about Changmin?

“I just have a bad feeling about him,” he tells me. “We all do.”

“Noona, just promise us that you won’t get hurt,” Taemin says.

“Why would I get hurt?” I ask.

“He might try to steal you away from Onew-hyung,” he tells me. Right, they don’t know about our agreement.

“I’m sure he wouldn’t be able to do that,” I say with a light laugh.

“That means that you’re going to stick with Onew-hyung no matter how annoying he might be?” Minho asks.

“Well, we’re married aren’t we?” I ask looking at all of them.

“But we’re just making sure,” Key says.

“I promise,” I say with a smile. “I’ll stay with Onew.” Why are they thinking this way?

 

Onew’s POV

“Changmin, what are you doing?” I ask as he gets closer to me.

“I was just in the neighborhood,” he says.

“But you don’t live here,” I say attempting to put the puzzle pieces together.

“I just transferred schools, and so did Nicole. Christy didn’t tell you?”

“No, she didn’t,” I say shaking my head. “But we didn’t really have time to talk together today.” Why didn’t Christy tell me? Probably because of Raina being there otherwise she probably would’ve told me about this.

“Oh,” he says as he puts his hands into his pockets. “So, what you said about Christy, is it true?”

“About what, me loving her?” I ask.

“Yeah, that,” he says as he leans against one of the nearby walls.

“Well of course it’s true, we’re a married couple after all,” I tell him. For some reason, I can’t tell him that I really do love her; the words just can’t seem to find their way out of my mouth.

“You don’t have to lie to me. I know all about your plan to pretend like you are a married couple when in fact you guys can do whatever you want.”

“Ah, that,” I say a bit hurt by the fact that Christy told someone else about our plan. I guess she really must like Changmin. Silence falls between us and I’m not entirely sure what we should say to each other. “Well, I should get going.”

“Not so fast,” he says grabbing my arm and holding me back, which isn’t hard since I have a broken leg thanks to them, well, more specifically thanks to Nicole.

“What?” I ask.

“As of right now, I don’t know whether your feelings for Christy are genuine or not, but it doesn’t matter because she likes me and she will always like me. Sure, she may be having your baby, but people have babies for other people all of the time. Just know that she’s mine and I plan on making her mine.”

I stare at Changmin as he says that. Is he serious? If I weren’t in a cast, I’d totally attempt to hit him, but the cast would prevent me from running away so the only thing I can do is just stand here and take it all in.

“I got it,” I tell him. Why did I just say that? I like her, too, she’s my wife. If she’s my wife, wouldn’t I come first? “I’ll get going.”

Quietly and slowly, I begin making my way back to the house. What a joyous first day of school it’s been. My longtime crush has now gone away, but I don’t like her anymore, so it’s kind of good that she won’t do anything to me from now on. Not only that, but then I find out that the man that my wife is in love with is going to transfer to the same college and win her over, not that he doesn’t have her already.

“Onew, are you okay?” Christy asks as I walk into the door.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I say making my way over and sitting down next to her on the couch.

“You surely don’t look okay,” she says as she examines my face.

“I’m just tired. Walking around on the crutches all day makes one tired. Where are the rest of the guys?”

“They’re bringing back ice cream. I told them that I’d wait for you.”

“Thank you,” I say giving her a smile as she gives one back. “Christy, can I tell you something?”

“Sure, you can tell me anything. Does it have something to do with Raina?”

“I love you,” I tell her as I cut her off from saying anything else about Raina.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How will Christy react to Onew's confession? Will Raina prose as a future threat? What will Changmin do to get Christy? What will happen once Nicole and Changmin enter school?

 

Here is Chapter 20. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

I know I haven't updated for a very, very, very long time, but I just wanted to wait until the site settled down before posting anything after some of my other chapters on some of my other stories got lost. So, here's your long awaited update and having a baby boy is still in the lead. Name suggestions and the poll is still open :)