Adventures in a Grocery Store

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Christy’s POV

“Are you okay, noona?” Taemin asks coming into the living room.

“Hmm? Oh, yeah, I’m fine,” I say flashing him a smile.

“It doesn’t seem like you’re okay,” he says as he sits down next to me. “Is it something that I could help you with?”

“I don’t know if you’re old enough,” I joke.

“Hey, I’m old enough,” he complains.

“Of course you are,” I say patting him on the back.

“Is it something regarding Onew-hyung?” I nod my head. “What is it then?”

“I don’t know, I’m just…thinking a lot, that’s probably the problem. I’m just over thinking some things.”

“Yeah, you do that a lot,” Taemin says with a smile. “Just stop thinking once in a while. I hear that it’s not good for the baby.”

“When did you hear that? Have you been doing your own research?” At my question, Taemin turns his head away. “Look at someone doing their research on pregnancy.”

“Well I figured that since we’re living here, it’s not too dangerous to be too cautious regarding your pregnancy and we go to school in a couple of days. Aren’t you worried about your health?”

“Should I be?” I ask thinking about it. I begin thinking about how I would spend my days in school and if it would cause too much stress. “Wait, I’m going to the doctor’s this afternoon,” I say suddenly remembering about the appointment. “I could ask him there.”

“You could,” Taemin says getting up off of the couch. “I’m going to go upstairs, so if you need me, the hyungs and I will be up there.”

“Okay,” I say turning around and watching him go up.

After I see him leave, I get up myself and head to the kitchen where Onew probably is. Just like my prediction, he’s sitting at the counter eating something. “Onew, I’m going to the doctor’s today, do you want to come?”

“Sure,” he says nodding his head, although something seems off. Is it because of the question that he just asked earlier and my insufficient answer?

“Um, Taemin brought up a good question when I was just talking to him,” I say as I sit down next to him.

“What was that?”

“It was whether I should continue with schooling or take a break for the year,” I tell him. “I mean, it’s not that far into the year so it wouldn’t really matter if I just took some time off to take care of the baby and to take care of myself while I’m pregnant.”

“Do you want to take off?”

“Should I?” I ask sighing.

“Well, I’ll support your decision, whatever it may be,” Onew says turning and looking at me. “When is your doctor’s appointment?”

“It’s at three this afternoon,” I tell him. “I think we’re going to go over some stuff, like the usual routine.”

“Great,” Onew says with a smile. “I can’t wait for the baby to be here.”

“Neither can I,” I tell him with a bright smile in return. “Thirty odd weeks is going to be hard to live through.”

“I’m sure we’ll make it through.”

“I’m positive, too.” I sigh. Even if Onew seems happy right now, to me, it seems like something is still bothering him.

 

Onew’s POV

Before I realize it, two thirty already rolls around and Christy and I are getting ready to go to the doctors. “Do you have everything?” I ask.

“I think I do,” she says checking herself once more. “Why are you suddenly asking me that question?”

“I read that pregnant women can often start forgetting some things sometimes,” I admit awkwardly.

“You’ve been doing some reading too?” I nod my head.

Quickly, Key comes down the stairs to drive us to the doctor since I have a broken leg. Christy could just as well drive, except Key doesn’t want anything to happen, so he offered and we accepted. “Ready to go?” he asks as he opens the front door.

“Yeah, we’re ready,” Christy says following out behind Key and I’m the last one to follow as I lock the door.

Once again, the sitting in the waiting room is boring, but I think I might be getting accustomed to children, a little bit. I don’t entirely freak out or shy away; I can sit there and just stare at them. By the time the baby comes, I’ll be a pro.

When Christy gets called to go back, I follow, but Key stays out in the front. He’s apparently having fun playing with some of the children. I can tell who to keep my baby away from now.

“Well, Christy,” the doctor says after doing the usual stuff, “it seems like everything is okay right now. You’re in the beginning of your second trimester, so you’ll start gaining some more weight, having to wear maternity clothes, and sometimes you’ll have some symptoms such as a stuffy noise. You might even get a bloody nose sometimes, so just don’t be alarmed.”

“Okay,” Christy says nodding her head. “Doctor, is there something I could ask you about?”

“Sure, anything.”

“What do you think about me going to college? I mean, classes start again and I was wondering if you thought it was a good idea whether I should go or not,” Christy says explaining the situation to her.

“Well, since it is your first pregnancy, we want to be careful. You both want to be careful because I see your husband has a cast on his foot,” she says pointing at it. Christy and I both nervously laugh at the statement. “But if you want to, then I can’t do anything to stop you. There are just some symptoms that may happen one day and not the next.”

“Symptoms like what?” I ask.

“First off, the whole nosebleeds can happen and the stuffy nose for no reason,” the doctor says looking at me before she turns to look at Christy. “And then there is also the fatigue that your body may also retain more water than normal.”

“What does that mean?” Christy asks.

“That means that with the retaining water, your fingers may get swollen and it may be hard to pick things up, but going to university, the thing that would most likely get to you is the fatigue. You’ll probably start feeling tired because your body is already under stress, not to mention that you’re still young and this is your first baby. If you still want to attend your classes, then you have to think about what stress you’ll be putting yourself through and how tired you might become. All of those things could lead up to you getting sick and your immune system becoming week, which means that your baby could possibly become sick.”

“So I shouldn’t go?” Christy asks.

“It’s up to you, but I’d just be advised because of the fatigue.”

“Okay,” Christy says nodding her head.

“Now, let’s talk about preterm labor and what to do if that happens,” she says moving onto the next topic. I, however, still think about Christy and whether she’ll be able to attend school. If she stays home from school, should I? I mean, I shouldn’t just leave her side, but I don’t know. Things are just too confusing now. My mind is spinning because of before.

 

Christy’s POV

“Did you make your decision yet?” Onew asks me as we’re driving back to the house.

“I’m not sure,” I say sighing.

“Hey guys,” Key says turning back and looking at the both of us in the backseat. “We’re going to stop at the grocery store.”

“Why?” I ask.

“Because we need groceries, why else?” he asks, but for some reason I think he has something else up his sleeve, but whatever, I’m just going to go with it for now without questioning anything, but as soon as we pull up to the grocery store, I understand why. “You guys go in,” Key says handing us a list. “I’m tired.”

“When did you have time to make a list?” Onew asks.

“When you guys were in the doctor’s office,” he bluntly says. “I’m going to rest; you guys do the shopping for once. What are you guys going to do when we move out? I can’t cook forever.”

I look over at Onew who just shrugs his shoulders. “I guess we should go in,” I say as I open the door and get out while Onew does the same.

“So, what’s first on Key’s list?” Onew asks as he attempts to read over my shoulder.

“Milk?” I ask reading it. “Should we go in order of the grocery store or in order of the list?”

“Is there a different?” Onew asks.

“Yes,” I say holding the list for him to see as he grabs a cart and starts playing with it. “Pay attention,” I whine. Onew stops playing with the cart and looks at me. “Okay, so the grocery store is probably set up in a different way that Key made his list. Do you want to follow the list or go with the grocery store?”

“Follow his list,” Onew says pointing at it. “Otherwise, how else are we going to make sure that we have everything? If we didn’t get something, I’m pretty sure Key would freak out at some point.”

“True, then I guess we’ll just start with milk.”

Onew and I make our way to the diary section, which is just conveniently located in the back and which tells me that Key just randomly wrote the list down. He probably wrote it that way to get a nap in the car, that lazy bum.

“Should we get banana milk?” Onew asks picking up a pack of it.

“Should we?” I ask as I’m looking at the regular milk.

“Taemin likes to drink it, so I guess we should.”

“Then get it,” I say shrugging my shoulders as I put the milk in the cart. “So, w can cross off milk and now is…crackers?”

“Crackers? Who wants crackers?” Onew asks as he brings the pack of banana milk over.

“I don’t know, but now we have to find out where the crackers are,” I say looking around in an attempt to get a good direction. “I guess we’ll just walk around and look for the snack foods.”

Onew nods and begins following behind me as he pushes the cart that is only currently filled with milk and his crutches. “I think I found it,” Onew says as he goes down one aisle. By the time I look down the aisle, I see him riding on the back of the cart and not looking at all.

“Are you looking or not?” I ask him.

“I am,” he says nodding. “I’m doing it super fast with super speed.” Once again, he comes back my way doing the same method.

“You’re so weird,” I say rolling my eyes at him as I watch him look for the crackers. “How can you even do that with your broken leg?”

 

Onew’s POV

Being in the grocery store, I haven’t been in here in quite a long time. It feels different. As Christy and I are looking for the next absurd item of sparkling fizzy water, I see an older woman attempting to reach something on the shelf.

“Here, let me help you,” I say grabbing my crutches out of the cart and going over and getting the tea she was reaching for.

“Oh, you’re such a wonderful young man,” she says smiling at me. She must’ve noticed Christy standing close by because she points to her. “Is that your girlfriend?”

“No, she’s my wife,” I say as Christy comes over. I put my arm around her shoulder and the woman smiles.

“You guys make a cute couple, you know that?” she asks.

“Thank you,” I say with a bright smile and I see Christy’s face turn a slightly darker color. Does that mean that she likes me back?

“Are you pregnant?” she asks looking at Christy. Christy and I both stare at each other. “You must be.”

“How could you tell?” Christy asks.

“I can sense it,” the woman says smiling. “You guys are going to have a happy family. Well, I should get going now. Thank you again for helping me.”

“Ah, no problem,” I say bowing as she leaves and Christy does the same.

“How could she know that I was pregnant?” Christy asks still unable to get over the shock.

“Well, don’t grandparents normally pick up on these things?” I ask.

“Then why didn’t my grandfather mention anything about the pregnancy?” she asks.

“Because…I don’t know actually,” I say shrugging my shoulders. “Maybe it’s older people who have actually been pregnant before.”

“Maybe,” she says sighing. “Anyway, did you find the sparkling fuzzy water yet?”

“Right here,” I say picking the bottles off of the shelf and putting them into the cart while I put my crutches back in and start pushing it.

“You know, I can push it if you don’t want to anymore,” Christy says.

“No, no, it’s no problem. This is actually pretty fun,” I admit with a smile. “What are we looking for now?”

“Toilet paper?” Christy asks staring in disbelief at the list. “He really couldn’t have put it in a more cohesive list?”

“Let’s just go,” I say laughing at Christy’s meltdown.

“Who do you think you’re laughing at?” she asks as she threatens to hit me.

“You shouldn’t hit a cripple,” I say sticking out my leg.

“You shouldn’t laugh at a pregnant person,” she says sticking her tongue out.

“Let’s just go get toilet paper,” I say as I continue pushing the cart along, well it’s more like hopping or limping since I have one good foot.

Christy and I manage to get the toilet paper, the cereal, the macaroni and cheese, the ravioli, the rice, the meat, and all of the other various items that Key wrote on his list in a random order that Christy complained about the whole time. “You know, he probably just wrote the things off the top of his head,” I say attempting to do my best to defend Key, but Christy’s not having any of it.

“Still, he’s probably come to the grocery store a lot. Plus, why did he just happen to want to come here while we were at the doctors?”

“Because it’s on the way home?” I suggest.

“Fine,” Christy huffs as we make it to the checkout. I laugh at her, could she get any cuter?

 

Christy’s POV

After we’re done checking out, Onew and I make our way towards the car and I’m going to make Key get a piece of my mind. That is until someone knocks into me throwing me off of my balance. It doesn’t help that the doctor told me today that my center of gravity may be a little off since I’ll be gaining weight because of the baby.

“Whoa there,” I hear Onew say as I almost fall, but I fall into his arms. Even with his broken leg he was fast enough to catch me, even if we weren’t that far away from each other. “Are you okay?”

I open my eyes and see Onew’s face close to mine with our lips practically touching. “Y-y-yeah,” I manage to stutter, although I don’t understand why I’m stuttering in the first place.

“Good, you should be careful,” Onew says giving a comforting smile as he helps me stand up on my own.

“I’m so sorry,” the guy that bumped into me says quickly apologizing.

“It was alright,” I say flashing him a smile.

As I help Onew put the groceries into the trunk of the car, I can’t help but think about the fall. Why was my heart beating so fast? It was simply a fall, nothing more. Once I get into the backseat with Onew, I close my eyes, only to open them right back up again because Onew’s face flashes before my eyes. What is this feeling?

“How did your shopping trip go?” Key asks as he turns back.

“You,” I say pointing at him.

“Uh-oh, someone’s not happy,” he says quickly turning around and beginning to drive.

“Why did you make us go all over the stupid store?” I ask. “You couldn’t have made a more cohesive list?”

“I was writing down things as I thought of them. Did you buy everything, though?” he asks.

“Of course, or maybe we just left one out to annoy you,” I respond.

“Onew-hyung, what happened to her?” Key asks.

Onew just shrugs his shoulders. “Maybe she’s angry because a guy bumped into her.”

“Did you get hurt?” Key immediately asks. “Did the baby get hurt?”

“No, no one of us got hurt,” I tell him.

“Then what?” he asks. I see him look back in the mirror. “Christy, why is your face turning all red?”

“It’s not,” I quickly say turning away and I see Onew slightly snickering. “Shut up,” I say looking at Onew.

“I didn’t say anything,” he says attempting to defend himself. I roll my eyes and attempt to get my mind off of everything by looking out at the scenery as we pass, but every so often a smile comes to my face because of the fall and because of that woman Onew and I talked to in the grocery store. It must be because of my pregnancy that I’m thinking these weird thoughts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When will Christy recognize her feelings? Will Onew ever get the courage to confess? Why did Key send only Christy and Onew into the grocery store? Will Christy take off from school to take care of her health?

 

Here is Chapter 17. Hope you enjoyed :D

From this moment forward, I'm not going to keep posting the poll. If you want to vote, just visit the previous chapter to vote or to see the results. Maybe from time to time until their baby is born I'll post the results, but I don't think I'll put the poll into any more chapters.

Oh and added onto that, I'm going to get an official poster for this story. I don't know when it'll be done, but there is one that's going to come. So, that's it and I should really get to bed becuase it's 1:22 A.M. here. Bye-bye! :)