Being Parents

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Christy’s POV

I sit on the hospital bed and just stare at the white walls while flipping through the channels on the television. There’s nothing to do and with no one here to keep me company, I guess it’s the only thing I can do.

I know that Onew and the rest of his friends would stay by and keep me company, but I don’t want them to miss their classes for me. I don’t want them to get bad grades because I’m on bed rest. It’s foolish. I told them that they could visit me whenever they had a break or something. Other than that, they weren’t allowed to.

“Hello?” a familiar voice rings through the hallways. “Christy?”

“Nicole?” I ask as her figure emerges into the hospital room. “What are you doing here? Don’t you have class today?”

“I only have one class today, so I thought that I’d come over and see you, after I heard about what happened to you, of course,” she explains as she brings a chair over and sits on it near the bed. “So, how are you and those babies of yours doing?”

“Alright, I guess,” as my hand instinctively goes towards my stomach and pats it.

“Just think,” she begins, “a couple of more weeks and you’ll be a mother and Onew will be a father.”

“A couple of more weeks,” I mutter. Honestly, I can’t get my head around it. In a couple of more weeks, I’ll have children, I’ll be a mother.

“It’s a lot to take in, isn’t it?” she asks as she probably sees the look on my face.

“Well it’s quite something. I guess you’ll know the feeling when you become pregnant.”

“Me? Pregnant?” she asks with a questionable look on her face. “I don’t think I would ever go through that torture.”

“Of course you wouldn’t,” I say eyeing her and giving her a smile. “Just think, within five years time you’re going to have children of your own.”

“Anyway,” Nicole says as she attempts to move on from the subject. “I brought someone that really wanted to see you.”

“Really wanted to see me?” I curiously ask. “Who in the world would that be?”

“Me!”

“Grandpa?” I ask looking at him come into my room. “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve come to see how my favorite granddaughter is doing. Your parents told me all about your bed rest and I wanted to come and see you. Plus it feels like forever since I last came to the city.”

“But…why?” I ask. “You could’ve just called, you didn’t have to make the drive all the way down here.”

“Hey, anything for my favorite granddaughter,” he says with a smile. “And anything for my favorite great-grandchildren. Do you know the yet?”

“No,” I say shaking my head. “Onew and I want to be surprised.”

“Speaking of, where is he?”

“University,” I say as I look at him and Nicole.

“Why aren’t you there?” he asks looking at Nicole.

“Ah, my classes already finished,” she says with a smile.

“Grandpa, you really didn’t have to come down here,” I tell him again.

“Aww, does my granddaughter not want to see me?” he asks.

“No, it’s not that,” I quickly say. “I just thought of it as a hassle.”

“It’s no hassle since it’s my favorite granddaughter, the end!” he says with his arms in the air. The reasons why I love my grandfather.

 

Onew’s POV

Time slowly ticks by while I’m sitting in class and waiting for the time when I can go to the hospital to visit Christy. “Counting down the minutes?” Jonghyun asks turning to me.

“Of course he is,” Minho whispers.

“Hey, did you know that I found something really cool,” Key says, but no one really listens to him. I simply nod my head in agreement, not really able to say anything else. I just keep looking at my watch to look for when I’m able to go back to the hospital to keep Christy company.

“Shh, class is going on,” I whisper to all of them hoping that if they stopped talking, time would go by faster.

Thankfully, the class ends without a problem. I think about all of the things that I have to do now, like picking up Inguk and going and grabbing dinner to take to the hospital, when I remember about how I’m supposed to meet Changmin.

“Hey,” Changmin says coming up to me and lightly greeting me.

“Hey,” I say back. “Are you ready to go to the hospital?”

“Sure,” he says nodding his head.

“I just have to go pick up my cousin and then some food and then we’ll go, alright?”

“Alright,” Changmin says nodding his head as he follows behind me.

“Hey, Inguk,” I say greeting him as he comes out of school. “Are you ready to go somewhere?”

“Where?” he curiously asks.

“We’re going to go visit Christy-noona, does that sound like fun?”

“Mm,” Inguk says as he nods his head. Hesitantly, I offer my hand out to him and he grabs it. I feel a strangeness come over me from having hand contact with him, but it’s not like I haven’t before. I guess with Christy on bed rest, the feeling of actually becoming a father starts to set in.

Before the two of us, plus Changmin, make our way to the hospital, we stop by the chicken place first and grab some of it so we can spend dinner over with Christy. “We’re here!” I yell as I open the doors for my grand entrance, but then I realize that there are already people in the room. “Um…hello,” I awkwardly say.

“Jinki, how are you?” her grandfather asks as he comes up and greets me. “Long time no see, right?”

“Right,” I awkwardly say.

“And who is this young man right here?” he asks looking at Inguk who is slightly hiding behind my legs. He must be afraid of her grandfather. I will admit that he looks like an intimidating guy.

“This is Inguk, my cousin,” I tell him. “We’re watching him for my aunt, while she’s away.”

“Hey little guy, feel free to call me grandpa,” he says with a cheerful smile.

“Grandpa?” Inguk asks as he looks at him.

“Yes, grandpa, now why don’t we go out and give these two some time by themselves? How about it, Nicole?” Christy’s grandfather asks the two of them. “Why don’t we go see what good snacks they have in the cafeteria?” he asks Inguk after seeing his hesitant face.

“Go ahead, he’s a good guy,” I tell him with a smile and after a few minutes of hesitation, Inguk finally decides to follow him, leaving Christy and I in the room alone. “Christy,” I say as I approach her bed, “there’s someone here to see you.”

“What do you mean? Who else could possibly be here?” she asks.

“It’s um…” I begin to say when Changmin walks through the door.

“It’s me,” he says looking at her. “Hi Christy, how are you?”

 

Christy’s POV

So Changmin is the one that wanted to see me? But why would he want to see me? It just makes no sense. I understand that we sort of stopped talking to each other on bad terms, but honestly, I thought that things would just stay that way. I didn’t think that he would attempt to come back and talk with me. Sure, I think we need to talk things out, but I don’t know why I never went to find him. I just…didn’t want to.

“I’m good,” I say nodding my head. Honestly, I don’t know what else to say in this type of situation. What do I say to him? “H-how about you?”

“I’m good, too,” he says with a smile.

“Well, I’ll leave you two alone,” Onew says as he begin to back out of the room. “I think you two need some time alone.”

I look at Onew and he gives a slight nod. I can see how much he wants to stay and hear what we have to talk about, but I think he also realizes that it’s probably not his place and that Changmin and I probably wouldn’t be able to talk well with each other while someone else was in the room.

As soon as Onew leaves the room, Changmin and I just stare at each other. I can practically feel the awkwardness that’s in the room. Neither one of us speaks up, we just stare at each other.

“I’m glad to see that you’re doing okay,” Changmin says as he looks at me. “It’s nice to see that you’re doing well.”

“Thanks,” I mutter.

“You know, I thought that something actually happened between you and the babies when I found out that you were in the hospital,” he continues to explain.

“How in the world did you know that I was in the hospital?” I ask.

“Words gets around fast,” he says with a light chuckle as he shrugs his shoulders. “I found out yesterday and I asked for Onew’s permission to come and see you. I didn’t want to come if you didn’t want to see me.”

“Changmin…” I begin.

“Christy, listen to me, I’m sorry about everything that I’ve ever said to you. After thinking it over, I figure that I was just jealous. I’m jealous because you’re married to Onew and I’m jealous because you’re having his children. I’m just…jealous.”

“Jealous,” I whisper.

“Jealous. It’s stupid, I know. But now that I think about it, everything that I did was out of pure jealously. I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse and I just went with it.”

“Hmm,” I say as I nod my head. “It’s okay. I forgive you.”

“What?” Changmin asks looking surprised at me.

“I forgive you,” I repeat myself. “Why? Can’t I do that?”

“No, you can,” he says as he attempts to find the right words. “But I mean…why would you? I wouldn’t apologize to myself if I were in your position.

“Well…I mean…” I say as I attempt to find the reason why I’m forgiving Changmin. “The doctor said that it’s not good for me to continue having stress. I was told that I should attempt to peacefully live my life without any worries or stress.”

“So I was stressing you out?” he worriedly asks.

“No, not entirely. I mean…I don’t know,” I say with a little laugh. It’s a laugh about not being able to find the right words to say and it’s a laugh about how foolish our conversation is at the current moment.

“Hmm,” Changmin says nodding his head as a smile appears on his face. “Thank you, Christy. I owe a lot of things to you. Just tell me if you ever need a babysitter, I’d gladly volunteer!”

 

Onew’s POV

I go downstairs to the cafeteria and meet up with Nicole, Christy’s grandfather, and Inguk. “What are you doing down here?” her grandfather asks as soon as he sees me. “You’re supposed to be upstairs with Christy.”

“Changmin came and wanted to see her, I thought that they would be able to have some time alone to talk,” I explain as I take a seat with them.

“Changmin’s here?” Nicole asks in surprise.

“Yeah, why?” I ask looking at her. “Didn’t you see him when you walked out of the room?”

“No,” she says as she looks at Christy’s grandfather who also shakes his head.

“Really?” I ask. “I wonder where he could’ve gone then,” I mutter.

“Jinki, do you know how long Christy is staying in the hospital for?” her grandfather asks me.

“I’m assuming until she gives birth, which isn’t too far off from now,” I say as I think about it. “I mean, it’s probably at least a month more until she can deliver. It’s a shorter time for twins because…because…”

“We get it,” he says with a laugh. “But that’s quite a long time.”

“Yeah, she was complaining about it before,” I say. “But I’ll be sure to visit her every day and keep her company. My other friends will visit frequently, too. Christy won’t be alone, if that’s what you’re worrying about.”

“I know that I don’t have to worry about anything when you’re by her side,” her grandfather says with an approval nod of his head.

“You shouldn’t rely on me that much,” I quickly say, somewhat nervous at the thought of her grandfather putting all of this trust into me. Somehow I don’t think that he should be doing that. It’s not that it’s entirely bad, but I mean, I know I can, but what if I happen to mess up? What if something doesn’t go as planned? Then I’ll disappoint everyone, but I promised to look after Christy and I’ll continue to look after her until I die. That’s one thing that will never change.

“Do you not have confidence in yourself?” her grandfather curiously asks.

“I…I don’t know,” I say with a laugh. “I mean, it’s just fairly recently that I started enjoying having children around. I was afraid of them before, but now with Inguk around, things have gotten better.”

“But these are your own children,” Nicole chimes in. “Things will be different, I know they will be.”

“Sure,” I say rolling my eyes. Suddenly, I feel a vibration in my pocket and I see that Christy is calling me. “I better go back upstairs, she’s calling me now.”

“Go along and tend to her needs. We don’t want to keep you down here any longer than you have to be,” her grandfather says with a wink.

“Thanks,” I say as I go back upstairs to Christy’s room. “Where’s Changmin?” I ask as I enter and see her in there all alone.

“He went back,” she simply says.

“Really?” I ask surprised, although I don’t know why I’m necessarily surprised that he already left. “Where did he go?”

“I don’t know,” she says shrugging her shoulders. “He just said that he probably doesn’t need to be here anymore. He said what he had to say and I said with I had to say and then he left.”

“Were there any tears? Bloodshed? Are you alright?” I ask going over to her and begin examining her body.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” she says lightly pushing me off of her.

“Are you hungry?” I ask her.

“Why?” she asks with a curious face.

“I brought fried chicken!” I say going over and holding up the bag. “Want some?”

 

Christy’s POV

“Will we be able to be good parents?” I whisper.

“Of course we will,” Onew says as he holds me closer. We’re both lying on the hospital bed with my back to Onew’s chest. I’m moved over enough so that he can get on the bed and his arms are wrapped around me. The SHINee guys came a little after and now everyone has gone home, including my grandfather, who is currently going to stay at my parent’s house. “Why are you asking such questions?” Onew asks as he rests his chin on my shoulder.

“It’s just a feeling I have,” I mutter as I close my eyes and think about things.

“It’s something you shouldn’t be feeling. You’re going to be a great mother, I know you are. As for my skills as a father, they could probably do some more work.”

I lightly laugh at his statement. “Onew, our children are going to be born soon…can you believe that? We’re going to be parents soon, can you believe that? We’re going to have children, we’re going to have flesh and blood that we have to take care of.”

“That’s alright, everything is going to be alright,” Onew says with a chuckle.

“Since when did you become the one that calms people down?” I jokingly ask.

“Since I had the epiphany that we’re going to have our own children, Christy,” Onew whispers. “Here, let’s turn you around.”

Onew gets off of the bed and helps me adjust my position back into the normal one where I’m on my back, but Onew climbs right back into the bed with me as he puts his arm around my shoulder and intertwines our free hands.

“Onew…we’ll be good parents, right?”

“This again?” he asks with a laugh. “Why are you so worried about it?”

“I don’t know,” I say with a light chuckle as I look at our intertwined hands. “Why am I thinking this way? Pregnancy hormones?”

“Probably,” Onew says as he leans down and gently kisses me on the cheek. “Like I said before, you won’t be alone. You’re never going to be alone, alright? I’m going to be here for you every step of the way, no matter what.”

“And what if you somehow break your promise?” I ask.

“I already told you before, you can divorce me and you can take full custody of our children.”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to do that. It’ll be too much,” I say with a light laugh. “Twin children with attempting to finish college and find a career.”

“That’s why I’m always going to be by your side, so you never have to experience that,” Onew softly says as he leans down and kisses me on the lips. “We’re going to be great parents, I can feel it. You shouldn’t doubt yourself for one second, Christy. I’ll be by you the entire way.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Christy and Onew be good parents? What's going to happen now that everyone is on good terms? And what is the really cool thing that Key found?

 

Here's Chapter 37. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And I think the end is nearing...sooner than I thought it would. I dunno, somehow when I was writing this chapter, it feels as though this story should end by Chapter 40, even with my extra stuff included, which means that this story would end by Chapter 39.

 

I mean, there is a sequel, and why should I add in more things when the pregnancy is almost done? So, I guess this story is going to end earlier than expected...I guess be prepared because in two chapters this story is going to end and then the sequel is going to be up. Still don't know the title yet? I'm still not going to give it away, haha until the very last chapter. So stay tuned!