Unexpected Time Together

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Onew’s POV

After the nice day at the mall, all of us head back to the house for some lounging around time. I feel like sleeping I’m so tired, but I manage to stay awake because of SHINee’s crazy antics.

“Hyung, I think you’re turning into a grandpa,” Taemin says as he looks at me.

“Grandpa? More like he’s turning into a father,” Key says.

“Why am I turning into a grandpa?” I ask him.

“You’re tired.”

“Well, you’re just younger,” I say sticking my tongue out, but deeming that my argument is invalid, they all laugh. I look at Christy who just rolls her eyes. Ever since the kiss on her forehead earlier, she hasn’t really said anything to me. Is she really mad at that? Does she think that I stole a kiss from her after she told me she wasn’t? Girls are so confusing.

“What do we do now?” Jonghyun complains. “Are we just going to sit around and do nothing?”

“Hey, why don’t you two go on a date?” Minho asks looking at Christy and me. He’s finally come back from his workout.

“A date?” Christy asks looking at Minho in disbelief and I do the same, only I’m too lazy to say something.

“When have you guys ever gone out on a date?” he asks staring at the both of us intently.

“Hey, hyung is right,” Taemin chimes in. Great, now everyone is going to join the bandwagon.

“You guys never have been on a date before,” Key says thinking. “You guys should spend some couple time together. It’s easier for you two to go out than have us leave.”

“How would that be easier?” I ask.

“Because you’re only two people and we’re four,” Jonghyun says as he counts to make sure that he’s not wrong.

“That doesn’t mean anything,” Christy says. “I thought I’m pregnant and Onew has a broken leg.”

“But you guys have never spent any quality time together,” Key complains. I don’t know why he’s making such a big deal of the date.

“So?” I ask.

“So you’re husband and wife. At least you could be a more caring husband,” he says hitting me with one of the pillows. “We’ll do the housework around here and you guys go on your date.”

“I don’t know why you’re forcing us to go on a date,” Christy says crossing her arms.

I’m with her. I don’t understand why they’re making such a big deal about us spending quality time together. It’s like their planning something. I eye them all suspiciously but I can’t get any sort of hint from any of them. Rolling my eyes and sighing, I see that this is a battle that isn’t going to get won by Christy.

“Why don’t we just go on a date?” I suggest causing everyone to stare at me like I grew a second head.

“What did you say?” Christy asks looking at me.

“Why don’t we just go on the date that they’re talking about?” I ask. “I mean, it couldn’t hurt.”

“Right, see, it couldn’t hurt,” Minho says as he points at me.

Christy gives me one look before she sighs in defeat. “Fine,” she mumbles as she stands up. “But I’m not going to help you with the crutches.”

 

Christy’s POV

Onew and I make our way outside and start walking. I don’t know where we’re going since this date was on a whim. I don’t even know why SHINee wanted us to go on this date. “Are you mad at me?” Onew asks coming up.

“Mad? A little,” I say.

“You really don’t want to go on this date?” he asks.

I sigh as I look at his face, it just looks so sad. Was he happy about coming out on a date with me? That just means that he wants to spend quality time together, right?

“No, it’s not that I didn’t want to come,” I tell him. “I just…I just don’t know what I was feeling.”

“Ah, mood swing,” he says nodding his head as he walks along with the crutches. I will admit that he has gotten better since he’s been using them more often, well for today he was using them since he just got them today.

Onew and I continue walking in silence as we look around the neighborhood. This is really the very first time that we’re looking around the place since we were so rushed to haul everything into the house and get unpacked and then Onew’s broken leg happened. We never really introduced ourselves to any of the people around. Maybe that day will come one day.

“Do you want to go there?” Onew asks pointing to a small café on the corner.

“Sure,” I say smiling. “It looks like a cozy place.”

We both walk into the café and the little bell on the door rings as we make our entrance. “Welcome!” one of the workers says behind the counter. “You may seat yourselves and a server will be with you shortly.”

Onew and I both bow as we make our way to one of the booths near the window sitting across from one another. After taking out the menu, we both browse it to see what we want. “Does this look good?” I ask him showing a picture of some sort of cake.

“That does,” he says looking at it. “I’m planning on getting a regular coffee with a piece of cake anyway. You shouldn’t drink coffee; it won’t be good for the baby.”

“Yeah,” I grumble, but somehow I like it when he bothers to tell me not to do things. I like it that he cares about me and the baby, but why wouldn’t he?

A waitress comes over to the table holding a notepad and I bet that she’s going to take our order. “What would you two like today?” she cheerfully asks. I’m not sure if I would be able to ever work here acting as cheerful as that. We both give her our orders before she walks away.

“That girl likes you,” I tell Onew.

“Does she?” he asks looking at her as she goes back and starts preparing the drinks and our desserts.

“I’m pretty sure she does. I saw the way she was looking at you. Why don’t you talk to her?” I suggest.

“Talk to her?” he asks a little shocked. “I don’t think it would be good to mention that I have a pregnant wife.”

“Fine then,” I say shrugging my shoulders. “Don’t talk to her, then.”

Onew doesn’t pay me any more attention and just looks out the window. I look out the window with him and attempt to see what he finds so interesting, but it’s just nothing. There are some people that are walking and some that are going into some of the other small shops that are located near here. There’s nothing out there worth looking at.

Instead of looking out the window, I decide to look at Onew hoping that he’d look at me, but he didn’t. I guess he can’t feel it whenever someone stares at him. He doesn’t look as happy as before. Did I hurt him by suggesting that he talk with someone else? I don’t know why he wouldn’t talk to her, though. She’s pretty and she looks nice. He should attempt to chase after her while he can, well, he always could.

Defeated, I sigh and place my head in my hands as I observe the café once more.

 

Onew’s POV

I feel Christy’s gaze on me, but I continue staring out the window at the boring scenery. I don’t want to look at her right now, but I badly want to just turn around and show her a funny face to make her laugh in shock or something.

Why did she have to mention talking to some other girl? I don’t want to. I know that we’re allowed to do whatever we want in this marriage but I have a sense of loyalty. I don’t want to betray Christy and do something that would get her even more upset and possibly harm the baby. Of course, it’s not always about the baby.

Out of the corner of my eye, I manage to catch some glances at Christy. Silently, I laugh at the ways that she attempts to amuse herself, some of which involve grabbing the sugar packets that are sitting on the table and making a mountain or sprinkling it into a line.

“A date shouldn’t go this way,” I mumble.

“What did you say?” Christy asks as the waitress comes over with our order.

“This is for you,” she says putting my plates down in front of me, “and this is for you.” She does the same to Christy as she looks at us both before bowing and walking away.

“What were you saying before?” Christy asks as she dives right into her chocolate cake.

“A date shouldn’t go this way,” I repeat, but loud enough so she can hear it. “We should be talking with each other, having a good time. Instead, we’re just sitting here in silence.”

“Well then let’s just put everything behind us,” Christy suggests.

“What are you talking about?” I ask her.

“We can imagine that I’m not pregnant and we’re not married. We’re just best friends that are having a good time, alright?”

I smile at the thought. “Alright,” I say nodding my head. “So, Christy, are you ready for the beginning of school?”

“Not at all,” she complains. “I don’t like studying and doing homework.”

“Then what’s the point of going to school?” I ask her. “You should just stay home.”

“Then that’s called laziness. I can’t be lazy with my life. I need to be active and to do things,” she says with a smile.

“Christy, pause the game for a moment,” I tell her.

“Pause the game?” she asks a bit confused.

“Let me ask you something.”

“Okay.”

“Are you going to tell people that we got married and that you’re having a baby?” I curiously ask.

“Why, do you want me to?”

“I…I don’t know,” I admit. “Do you want to?”

“I’m not sure either,” she says sighing. “People are going to notice that I’m having a baby sooner or later, my baby bump will start growing.”

“That it will, then rumors might go around saying that you’re having a child by yourself,” I say as I start to worry about what could go around the school. “Why don’t we confidently go in and say that we’re married to each other?”

“Then the charade of us will have to happen during school, too. We’ll have to be all coupley with each other,” Christy says cringing a bit.

“I’m okay with that.”

“You are?” she asks in disbelief.

“I am,” I say nodding my head. “Haven’t we been doing that a lot lately?”

 

Christy’s POV

I stare at Onew. He really wants to tell the school that we’re married to each other and that we’re having a baby? The baby part people can find out for themselves, but he wants to admit that we’re married? I thought that he would’ve wanted to keep all of the girls chasing after him, even if he doesn’t recognize any of them. I wonder why.

“I guess you’re right,” I say admitting to acting like a couple frequently. “Now we have to do it even more because SHINee is living with us. They’re the ones that wanted this date.”

“But admit it,” Onew says with a smirk on his face, “you’re liking this.”

“I’ll admit it a little,” I say with a sly smile. “It is kind of fun. You really are a great guy, Onew.”

“It took you this long to realize it? Most realize it sooner,” he says in a slightly disappointed voice.

“No, it’s not that,” I say attempting to stop him from thinking those types of thoughts. “I just wanted to tell you that. I don’t think I’ve ever told you that before.”

“I don’t think you’ve ever given me a compliment before.”

“Looks like a lot of things can happen on our first date.”

“You just called it a date,” Onew says quickly pointing at me. “While we’re out, do you want to go somewhere else?”

“Can you walk?” I worriedly ask as I look down at his broken leg.

“I can do anything,” he says with a smile, don’t worry.

We get up from the booth and pay for our order before leaving the café and heading somewhere else. “We’re going to have to remember this café in the future,” I say as I look back at it.

Onew and I continue walking away from the café until we get to a park. It looks like it’s a quite popular park for younger children. “We’re going to have to bring our child here in the future,” Onew says as he looks at my stomach. “Let’s sit over there.”

“This place looks great for children,” I say looking around at all of the playing equipment that is there. The ground where the playground is located is made of pieces of tire, so when they fall, it won’t be hard and they won’t get any type of scraping or bruising on their skin.

“And for me,” Onew says laughing. “I can’t wait to play with the baby a lot.”

“You’ll be a good father,” I say smiling at him.

“And you’ll be a great mother,” he says back to me.

“I’m not so sure about that,” I hesitantly say.

“Why, do you doubt yourself?”

“Eh, a little. Do I really have the skills?” I ask.

Suddenly, Onew wraps his arm around my shoulder and pulls me closer to sit next to him. His movement was so quick; I don’t know how to react. In the end, I end up not doing anything and just staying in that position. It’s a little uncomfortable at first, but slowly I get used to it.

“Don’t doubt yourself,” Onew leans in a whispers in my ear. “You’re going to be great, I know you are.”

I slightly blush at Onew’s comment and am glad that he didn’t notice it. I guess Onew really is a sweet person, but why haven’t I ever seen this sweet person before? He’s always been indifferent to everything and acted like a bumbling idiot. Maybe Onew really is cutout for fatherhood and I’m not so cutout for motherhood.

 

Onew’s POV

I don’t know how much time has passed, but the sky looks like it’s starting to become a little darker. Looking down at Christy, I see that she has already fallen asleep. “You’re so pretty when you sleep,” I whisper as I look at her sleeping face. I bring my hand up to touch her cheek and she doesn’t stir at all. “You didn’t even tell me when you’re tired.”

Figuring that I can’t carry Christy home and I don’t want to wake her from her sleep, I decide to call Taemin. He should be at the house and be able to easily find this park. “Hyung, how’s your date going?” Taemin loudly asks on the phone.

“Good. I was wondering if you would be able to come pick Christy up,” I tell him.

“Pick her up? Do you want to go out by yourself?” he asks.

“No, you idiot,” I tell him. “She’s sleeping and I don’t want to wake her and I have crutches, remember?”

“Ah, right,” Taemin says. “Where are you?”

“At some park,” I tell him. I begin to explain the directions to the park from what I can remember.

“I’ll be there in a couple of minutes, wait for me,” Taemin says before he hangs up the phone.

Within a couple of minutes, Taemin arrives just like I told him to. “Try not to wake her. Can you carry her?” I ask.

“Hyung, I’m strong, don’t worry. I just need you to help me get her on my back,” he says as he leans down on one knee to move Christy onto him.

It takes a minute or two, but Taemin and I successfully get Christy onto his back. She didn’t even stir once. She calls me the heavy sleeper.

“So, was your date fun?” he curiously asks.

“It was alright,” I say nodding my head. “We went to the café and then we stopped here. What did you guys do at home?”

“Nothing,” Taemin says shaking his head.

“Nothing?” I suspiciously ask. “I would’ve thought that you guys were planning something.”

“Nope, we planned nothing,” he innocently says. I know that he would’ve told me if they actually did something. “But…noona had some visitors earlier.”

“Visitors?” I ask. I don’t know who would want to visit. “Who were they?”

“The people from the wedding, Changmin-hyung and Nicole-noona.”

“Ooh,” I say nodding my head in understanding. “Did they stay at the house?”

“No. Key-hyung, Jonghyun-hyung, and Minho-hyung chased them away.”

“They what?” I ask surprised and stopping in the middle of walking with my crutches causing Taemin to look back at me.

“They chased them away,” Taemin repeats.

“How did they chase them away?” I ask.

“Key-hyung, Jonghyun-hyung, and Minho-hyung just told Changmin-hyung that he should stay away from noona and they told Nicole-noona that she should stay away from you since you guys are married and on a date.” I stare at Taemin as he keeps walking. “Hyung!” he yells as he turns around knocking me out of my thoughts and off of my balance. “If you don’t catch up I’m going to leave you.”

“Coming!” I call after him as I attempt to catch up to him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would Key, Jonghyun, and Minho tell Changmin and Nicole to leave Onew and Christy alone? What will Changmin and Nicole think? How will life go for Christy and Onew after their first date?

 

Here is Chapter 14. Hope you enjoyed :D

And in the poll having a baby girl is in the lead by one vote. It's close. Anything can happen until the baby arrives :)