The Feeling of Family

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Onew’s POV

“Wake up, wake up!” I hear someone yelling. Instead of responding, I simply turn over onto my side and groan. I don’t feel like getting up and I don’t know why I have to. I don’t have any classes today, it’s Saturday. What force is going to compel me to get up anyway?

“Onew-hyung, so you’re so difficult,” a different voice says as I feel something get thrown at me that I’m guessing is a pillow.

“Ech,” I say as I sit up in bed with sleepy eyes and stare at the five figures, plus the one small person that is still jumping up on our bed, but I see Christy reaching out and holding him. She already has that motherly instinct in her.

“Finally, if we don’t get going, we’re going to be late,” Key scolds.

“Late for what?” I ask.

“We planned a fun day today, let’s get going, out of bed,” he says as he pulls the covers off of me.

Seeing that I have no choice, I grumble as I make my way out of bed and to the bathroom to get changed for the day. As soon as I get out of the bathroom, I feel a tugging and look down to see Inguk dragging me along.

“Wha-what are you doing?” I ask him.

“Let’s go, Key-hyung is waiting,” he says as he goes out the front door and drags me behind him. I manage to grab my crutches on the way out the door.

“Why?” I ask. I don’t want to hurt the kid or anything, but his dragging me along is starting to make me a bit nervous. Even if he’s been staying with us for a week already, we still haven’t had that much interaction with one another. I still stay the way I am and he has the others to play with. I don’t know why I even let them drag me on this thing.

“Hurry up,” Key complains. “Jonghyun-hyung is driving us and you’re sitting in the middle with Christy and Inguk.”

“Fine,” I say as Inguk climbs into his little carseat thing first and I follow. He’s sitting in between Christy and me and Christy buckles him in.

As the car begins setting off, I find myself nodding off to sleep again, but I can’t really sleep because there are too many things going on around me. Jonghyun and Key are arguing about which way to go and I’m pretty sure we’re lost. Minho and Taemin are talking about some video game strategy as they play on one of their portable devices, and Christy and Inguk are playing a little game. It’s like I’m left alone. I don’t really feel that bad about it, though.

My mind, however, floats to last night’s conversation with Key.

 

LAST NIGHT

“What were you and Raina doing?” Key asks as we’re in the room by ourselves.

“I was simply comforting her,” I tell him.

“Comforting her because of what? Seeing you with Christy and her jealousy?” he asks. “Are you cheating on her?”

“Why would you think of such a thing?” I ask. “I love her, we’re husband and wife. Why in the world would I do something like that?”

“I don’t know,” he says shaking his head. “I don’t know what to think anymore. First there’s Christy and Changmin and then there’s you and Raina. Do you both even love each other?”

I sigh as I lean against the wall. Key doesn’t know about the agreement between us that we’re allowed to do whatever, but still I’m sure of my feelings for Christy, I love her more than anyone else. I don’t know her feelings about me, but I know that I love her and I would never cheat on her. Key, however, thinks otherwise.

“Key, let me tell you something, but you can’t tell anyone, alright?”

“Okay,” he says looking at me with curious, yet serious eyes.

“Christy and I had an agreement when we got married. We were only going to get married for the baby and it didn’t matter what we were going to do once we got married as long as we stayed married…for the sake of the baby.”

 

Christy’s POV

I laugh at Inguk. “Aw, you’re so cute.”

“Noona, where are we going?” he asks giving me a cute smile.

“I don’t know, you have to ask Key-hyung,” I tell him.

“Key-hyung,” he says turning his attention to the guy that’s sitting in the front seat. “Where are we going?”

“I guess we’re far along enough to say it,” Key says looking at everyone. “We’re going to the zoo!”

“The zoo?” Inguk asks as his eyes get wider by the second.

“Yeah, the zoo!” Taemin yells from the backseat.

“Taemin, you just made me lose,” Minho complains.

“Sorry, hyung, but the zoo, we have to go see the elephants,” Taemin says.

“And the lions and tigers,” Inguk chimes in.

“How did you guys think of the zoo?” I ask.

“We just did,” Jonghyun says. “We heard from some inside information that Ingukkie likes going to the zoo.”

Within no time, we arrive at the zoo and enter it. As soon as we walk through the gates, Taemin drags Minho somewhere and Key and Jonghyun chase after them.

“Um…I don’t think we should run,” Onew says looking at me and then looking at Inguk and then himself. I’m pregnant, he has a broken leg, and Inguk is just a child. Sure he could run, but the rest of us couldn’t.

“Yeah, let’s just ditch them,” I say while laughing. “Where do you want to go first Inguk?” I ask as I grab his hand and we begin walking with Onew following behind.

“Lions,” Inguk says as he begins pulling me in a direction.

“Wait, we have to look at the signs first,” I say pointing to them. “We don’t know which way the lions are.” I lean down to his level. “Can you read the signs?”

“No,” Inguk says shaking his head.

“Here, let’s go over there and I can teach you,” I say grabbing his hand. Onew still follows behind us. I hope he’s able to become closer to Inguk throughout the day. I mean, Inguk is his cousin after all, he should become closer. Not only that, but he’s going to become a father.

“I can’t see lion.”

“You can’t,” I say looking at the signs to see if it’s true. “Look, it’s right there,” I say pointing to the sign that has the drawing of the lion on it.

“That’s the lion?”

“That’s the lion. Let’s go. We’re going to go to the lion,” I say turning around and telling Onew.

“Okay, I’ll be following behind,” he says giving me a smile.

I turn around with Inguk and grab his hand as I lead him the correct way. Even though Inguk isn’t my child, I still feel like a mother holding her child’s hand as I walk him to the lions first. I like this feeling of being able to look after someone and teach them. Is this why Aunty wanted us to watch Inguk? Did she want us to experience this feeling beforehand.

“Look, there they are, they’re so big!” Inguk says running up to the fence to take a glimpse at the lions that he loves so much.

“They are,” I say looking at them with him as Onew comes up next to me and slips his arm around my waist to hold me close, but he doesn’t say anything and I don’t do anything to push him off. Can I find myself getting used to this?

 

Onew’s POV

Being out in public must really change a person. Christy didn’t even move my hand away from her waist, not that she’s done it before, but I would’ve definitely thought that she would’ve done it since we’re in public. Perhaps she didn’t do it because we are in public. Does she think people would say something to someone else like her parents or my parents if she pushed me away?

This feeling of all three of us looking at the same thing and being with each other is indescribable. Is this how being a father is going to feel like when we go on outings to the zoo together or even take a simple stroll in the park? Are we going to feel like this or is Christy going to never accept me?

We spend some more time with the lions before moving on to see other animals and the zoo is so big that we don’t even see Taemin, Minho, Key, or Jonghyun anywhere. I wonder where they went and if they’re together. Was it their plan to ditch us in the first place?

“I’m hungry,” Inguk whines as we’re walking through the zoo again. I don’t even know what animal we were planning on seeing this time.

“You’re hungry?” Christy asks him. She’s been talking to him a lot more than I have. The only words that I spoke to him were this morning when he was attempting to wake me up and drag me out of the house. “Onew, do you know where we should go eat?”

“Do you?” Inguk asks coming up and holding onto my non-broken leg.

“No,” I say shaking my head. “How am I supposed to know?”

“Just wondering,” she says shrugging her shoulders. “Inguk, what would you like to have?”

“Pizza!” he yells.

“Okay then,” Christy says laughing at him. “I guess pizza it is then, let’s go over there, it looks like a food court.”

The three of us walk to where Christy was pointing and see that it is in fact a food court type of place. “Aw, look at that family over there,” I hear some people mutter as we walk past to find a table first before we get what we want.

“I wish I had a family like theirs,” another says.

“Is this good?” I ask going to an empty table and sitting down at it. Inguk does the same.

“Yeah, now Inguk wants pizza, what type of pizza?” Christy asks looking at him.

“Pepperoni pizza,” he says.

“Onew, what about you?”

“Here, I’ll get the food,” I say standing up, but Christy pushes me back down.

“I don’t want you to strain yourself with your crutches, I’ll go get the food.”

“But you’re pregnant.”

“Doesn’t matter, I just don’t want you to tire yourself out.”

“I could say the same to you,” I joke.

“Hey, I’m pregnant while you have a broken leg. I win. Now tell me what you want so I can go get it,” she demands.

“Fine, fine,” I say giving in. “I’ll get the same as Inguk.”

With that, Christy walks away to go get the pizzas while I’m stuck at the table with Inguk when an older woman taps me on the shoulder. “Sir, is that your wife and your child?”

“Not exactly,” I begin. “This is my little cousin, but that is my wife and we are expecting a baby.”

“You must be very happy,” the woman says with a big smile. “I’m sure that you are going to have beautiful children. I hope all the best for you.” I smile politely at her comment. I hope so, too.

 

Christy’s POV

I go over and get the food while I turn back occasionally to look at Onew and Inguk. Even if they’re not close yet, it seems like they’re slowly going to get there. I smile to myself when I see Onew start playing some small games with him.

After getting the food, I go back over to the table. “Here are your pizzas,” I say putting the tray down. I sit next to Inguk so I can help him with his in case he needs any help eating it or if I should cut it for him. “Inguk, does your mommy cut your pizza at home?”

“Sometimes,” he says.

“Well here, let noona cut it for you, alright?” I ask as I get a fork and a knife and begin cutting up his pizza so he doesn’t choke.

“Where should we go after this?” I ask Onew.

“Why don’t we call the rest of them and see where they’re at,” he says taking out his phone. “We could do something together today.”

I laugh at the statement. “They did run away early,” I agree as I begin eating some of my food.

I don’t know why, but I’m not particularly angry that they left Onew and I alone with Inguk. I think it gave us a taste of what parenthood is really going to be like, well, later down the years since Inguk is already five. I think that Onew will start learning how to be a father slowly but surely. He’s already getting closer with Inguk and I know that he’ll get closer to our child no matter what.

As we’re eating lunch, and Onew is on the phone arguing with someone about where they are, my own phone rings. “Hello?” I ask picking it up.

“Hey Christy,” Changmin says on the other line.

“Oh, hi oppa,” I happily say.

“Where did the guys drag you today?” he asks.

“We’re at the zoo, why?”

“Just wondering,” he says.

“Oh, so you just called for no particular reason?” I ask.

“Exactly,” he says as a smile comes across my face. Still, Changmin finds a way to make me smile no matter what. “So, your birthday is in like a week or two?” he asks.

“Yeah, why?” I ask wondering why he would be asking that. “You already know when my birthday is.”

“I know, I was just changing the topic. So, do you want anything?”

“You know that I don’t need anything.”

“Still, isn’t it traditional to get people presents?” he asks with a laugh. “I’m going to get you something whether you like it or not.”

“Hmm…I don’t know,” I playfully joke. “You can get me whatever you want.”

“Okay, then I’m going to prepare something extra special for you, so you better not miss it,” he says as he jokes back with me.

“Okay, I have to get going, we’re just finishing up our lunch now.”

“Okay, be safe. Goodbye.”

“Yup, you too,” I tell him before I hang up the phone.

“Who was that?” Onew asks looking at me as I put my phone away.

“It was Changmin-oppa,” I say, but I have a feeling that he already knew the answer to it. “Are we going to meet up with them?”

“Yeah, they should be here in a while to get some food,” he says without even looking at me as he continues eating.

 

Onew’s POV

I already knew that Changmin called her. I just wanted to see if she would actually say that he called her or not, but why wouldn’t she? I mean, we’re still on the agreement, aren’t we so it doesn’t matter what happens with other people. I guess I’m jealous.

There, I guess I’m jealous. I admitted it to myself. Jealousy is flowing through my veins because of Changmin and Christy. However, I think I heard her mention something on the phone about her birthday. I bet Changmin is going to do something for her birthday for her, I’m just going to have to do something better. I’m her husband, people are expecting me to do something great for her. I guess I’ll have to ask for Key’s help.

As I’m thinking, I feel an arm wrap around my neck. “Hyung, you’re eating without us?” Taemin asks as he takes the empty seat next to me.

“Then hurry and get your own food,” I say as I shrug him off.

“Jonghyun-hyung is getting it.”

“So you guys did meet up with each other.”

“More like…we were stalking them?” he innocently asks.

“Stalking them?” I ask looking at him in disbelief. “What is that?”

“Where we just followed behind them without them knowing,” Taemin says tapping me on the head. “You’re getting old; you can’t keep up with the young kids anymore. Hey, Inguk, isn’t Onew-hyung old?”

Inguk laughs at Taemin’s statement and nods his head. “Inguk, do you really feel that way?” I ask pretending to be hurt, but Inguk just continues laughing.

“So, where did you guys go?” Christy asks as they all come and sit around us.

“We went a whole bunch of places,” Taemin says getting hyper again over going to the zoo. “The tigers, the elephants, the alligators, the penguins, oh and you should’ve seen the pandas, they were just too cute.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Key says brushing aside Taemin’s continuous rant of the animals that he saw. “What did you guys do?”

“The same thing that you did, although we didn’t get stalked,” I say with a laugh.

“It’s not our fault that there are just too many people in the park to realize when there’s someone following you,” Jonghyun complains.

“Okay, okay, let’s just continue eating,” Minho says attempting to get everyone back on track.

“Does someone want to get back to looking at animals?” Christy jokingly asks. “How about we do some shopping instead? I think Inguk might get sleepy if we keep looking at animals and then he wouldn’t be able to buy anything.”

“Well I don’t need to buy anything,” Minho says. “So I’ll go look at the animals and whoever wants to can come with me.”

“I will,” Jonghyun and Taemin say in unison.

“So then the rest of you are going shopping?” Christy asks.

“Yeah,” I say nodding my head. “I think it might be good for me to just start taking it easy with these crutches, it’s tiring.”

“Get me something nice, hyung,” Taemin pleads.

“Who knows,” I say shrugging my shoulders, but I think I have someone else to buy things for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Onew going to buy Christy? What does Key think of Onew and Christy's agreement? What is Changmin planning for Christy's birthday? What is Onew going to plan for Christy's birthday?

 

Here is Chapter 24. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

And having the story end when the baby is a toddler or having a sequel are very close to each other. Only a couple of votes separate them. Remember, the voting doesn't determine how fast the story is going to end, it'll just determine how long the story will be, which I guess is really the same.... Anyway, if there is a sequel, then the story just might end when the baby is a toddler, who knows? Vote in the poll below!
 

And what do you guys think about the possiblity of having twins? I'm not saying that they're actually going to have twins, but...just tell me what you think :) And the name polls will be out soon, so if you haven't already recommended a name that you would like to see, suggest one and I'll put it in the poll. This is what I have so far.

 

Boys: Yoogeun, Onew Jr./Jinki Jr., Jinyoung, Junki

Girls: Eunsook, Minjin, Minji (Minzy), Yunhi