Boyfriend?

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Onew’s POV

I make my way upstairs and change into different clothes so I can go to bed. It’s not that I necessarily want to blow off Christy it’s just that I’m really tired from today’s events. I hope she doesn’t get the wrong mindset.

It doesn’t take me that long to change into different clothes and to go into bed. As my eyes are starting to close, I hear the door open. There’s only one person that that could be, and that’s Christy.

“Onew,” she says as she turns on the light. I don’t complain, I merely sit up in bed and look at her. She’s probably wanting answers and me, being a good husband, I should give them to her.

But what would her reaction to the questions that she has be? She probably wouldn’t like me saying that I was with Raina the entire time, but I have to say it. I can’t not say it. Sooner or later, someone is going to say something about me being at the hospital, whether it was intentional or not. At that point, then Christy will really be mad at me, but she’ll probably be mad at me for spending the entire day with Raina at the hospital. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that.

“Hey,” I bleakly say. I can’t help it; the energy feels like it’s drained out of me, but I can’t just ignore Christy. She’s my wife, the mother of my children. I just can’t ignore her.

“Are you okay?” she asks suddenly worried about me. She comes over and sits on the bed next to me as she takes my head in her hands. She’s being nice to me and all I did today was practically ignore her.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” I say showing her a weak smile. “I’m just tired, that’s all. I had a long day.”

“Oh,” she says as she looks at me. Those eyes, the sound of her voice, it sounds like she wants to talk about something serious.

“Yea,” I say in a half laugh form. “What did you do today?” It’s not like I’m intentionally trying to divert the situation away from me, but…I don’t know. I’m just curious about her day. If she’s curious about mine, she can ask me.

“Stuff,” she says shrugging her shoulders. “I was hanging out with Jonghyun today since there seemed to be a strange absence of you.”

The way that she says it, it sounds like she’s hurt. Well obviously she’s hurt or confused or just something. I wasn’t there all day and now suddenly I’m there, of course she’s confused. I could tell that Christy wasn’t attempting to be accusing, but she was also being accusing of me not being there all day. It’s amazing how she’s able to do that, but I guess all women can do that, they just have a way with words. A manipulative way with words.

“I’m sorry,” I say, my voice is barely above a whisper. I don’t know what else to say to her. I want to tell her everything, about me being worried about Raina and going to the hospital, but how would that make Christy feel? Wouldn’t she feel neglected about the whole situation? I’m sure that I would be hurt if she told me that she spent the whole day with Changmin and was at the hospital worrying about Changmin. I would surely be jealous, so why wouldn’t she not feel the same way?

“Why are you sorry?” she asks, but I know that she just wants me to say where I’ve been all day.

“I…I just am,” I say sighing and giving her another light smile. I can’t tell her, the words can’t leave my lips. Maybe keeping them will hurt her more, or maybe keeping them will be good for the both of us. Either way, I just can’t tell her…not right now.

“You’re tired, aren’t you,” she softly says. “I guess I’ll leave you alone and let you sleep, alright?”

“You don’t have to,” I say as I readjust myself. “You can just stay in here if you want to.”

“No, I can see it in your face.” Christy’s fingertips gently graze over my cheek causing my eyes to automatically close at their touch. How can she be so perfect? “Go to bed, alright?”

“Alright,” I say finally giving in. “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” she says with a smile as she hugs me before she leaves.

 

Christy’s POV

After I close the door, I lean against the doorway. The hospital. Why did Onew smell like the hospital? I get his whole not wanting to tell me thing, but why? Was it something bad? Is he cheating on me? Then again, just because he has a hospital smell, why am I jumping to the conclusion that he’s cheating on me? One just doesn’t get that feeling from a hospital smell… Still the hospital.

I try to think of a reason why he would be at the hospital. I try to think of a reason as to why Onew does anything, but I’m left with nothing. I don’t know. There’s nothing wrong with him and I didn’t have a doctor’s appointment today so why would he be going to the hospital? It just doesn’t make sense.

“Are you okay?” Taemin asks as he comes out into the hallway.

“Yea, I’m fine,” I say putting on a fake smile. “I was just thirsty and a little bit hungry so I was going to go get something to eat and drink.” I’m not lying when I say that.

“Alright, do you want me to come with you, noona?” he excitedly asks.

“Sure, if you’d like,” I tell him. Honestly, I think I could use the company now.

The both of us make our way towards the downstairs kitchen in silence. I don’t really know what to say. Should I tell him about the situation between us? Surely Key probably already knows since it seems as though he was out with Onew all day, but with Taemin…maybe I shouldn’t worry him about anything that’s going on, that would just seem mean.

But really, why can’t Onew tell me where he was? Doesn’t he trust me? We’re married…but maybe that means nothing to him. At one point it meant nothing and then we attempted to make it work, but in the end, it just means nothing again it seems. It seems like our marriage doesn’t mean anything. Does Onew really feel that way? Has he already regretted ever telling me how he really felt about me?

“Noona, are you okay?” Taemin asks as he gets out some glasses and fills them with water.

“Yea?” I ask turning to look at him.

“Noona, you’re in a daze, are you sure you’re alright?” he asks.

“I’m fine, thanks for your concern, Taemin,” I say giving him a smile.

“Of course, anything for you, noona,” he says with a smile as he continues getting out some snacks for the two of us.

“So, how is life going for you?” I ask him after a while. The both of us are eating the snacks that consist of crackers and fruits that Taemin had gotten together for the both of us.

“Life is going good, I guess,” he says sighing.

“What was that sigh for?” I question.

“Noona, have you ever been in love?”

I lightly laugh at Taemin’s question. Is he in love with someone? “Why, I believe I have.”

“What do you do when you want to win that person’s heart?”

“You just do…” I begin to say, but I don’t know how to finish it. How do I tell Taemin to win someone’s heart when I’m not even sure if I have Onew’s right now? Has he gotten tired of me? It surely seems that way. “You just do whatever your heart tells you to do, alright?”

“I guess, but what if she rejects me?”

“I’m pretty sure she won’t. I don’t know what you’re thinking those thoughts.”

“Thanks noona,” Taemin says with a big smile as he gets up from his chair.

“No problem,” I say giving him a smile, happy that I was able to help at least one person today.

“Noona, you should stop having those thoughts, too,” he says before he leaves.

 

Onew’s POV

I wake up to the bright sunlight. Just how long did I sleep for? I turn on my side and stare at an empty space next to me. Where’s Christy? Did she come to bed last night? I remember her coming in here and me wanting to tell her everything, but I couldn’t. I don’t know why, but I just couldn’t.

I’m a bad person; I must be a bad person. I’m unable to tell the truth even in a situation where it matters most. What’s wrong with me?

Grumling, I get out of bed and start getting ready for the day. There’s no use in going to my classes, I have to find Christy and start explaining things to her or she’s going to get the wrong image. I can’t have her just think the wrong image and then have everything be destroyed within us.

“Hey,” I say attempting to brightly greet her as I walk into the kitchen.

“Hello,” Christy says as she continues doing whatever she’s doing. It’s like she’s barely acknowledging my presence.  I sit down in the stool and Christy turns around to look at me from the fridge. “Why aren’t you going to classes today?”

“Oh,” I say taken slightly aback by the sudden question. “I was just thinking…maybe you’d want to spend the day together. Do you want to?”

“It depends,” she says sighing. “I have a lot of work to do around the house.”

“You don’t have to do any of the work, you’re not a maid,” I tell her as I get up and close the fridge door. “I don’t know why you’re doing all of this work when we can just do it ourselves.”

“Because,” she says as she opens the fridge once more. “I’m stuck here alone while you guys go out and have all the fun.”

Is that what this is about? Is it because we go out and she mostly stays inside of the house all of the time? Is that why? Is everything catching up to her?

“Well how about we go have fun today, just the two of us?” I offer, but Christy just shakes her head. “Why not?” I ask as I begin pouting hoping that it would get her to be on my side.

“I just can’t, I’m sorry,” she apologizes. “I have too much work to do here.”

“Alright,” I say sighing in defeat. I’m not going to attempt to convince her, there’s no reason for me to attempt to convince her. Why should I when she clearly doesn’t want to go? I know some people attempt to convince them, but with Christy being pregnant and all, I’d like to live to at least be able to see my children. “How about this,” I say going back over to her.

“What?” she asks looking at me with curious eyes.

“I’ll help you.” Immediately I take some of the dishes from her hands before she has a chance to say anything in protest. I’m going to help her whether she wants me to or not. I feel really guilty for not being able to tell her where I was yesterday. It’s just…the words don’t want to come out of my mouth for some reason.

“Oh, okay then,” she says slightly nodding her head as she quietly beings her work.

This isn’t like the Christy I know. The Christy I know isn’t quiet like this, she isn’t anything like this. Normally she’s loud and she likes to have a good time, but maybe she’s this way because of her pregnancy hormones. I heard that they can make women not act like themselves, but then again hasn’t everyone heard of that before? Maybe it’s just me overreacting. I’m just going to go with that…it’s the best excuse I can think of, if it’s even considered an excuse at all.

I sigh as I watch her continue doing her work. Does she really believe that she needs to be doing all of this or does she think that doing this will help it get off of her mind?

“Christy,” I say reaching out to touch her hand. She doesn’t pull away from me. That’s a good sign, right? “Is there something wrong? Why are you acting like this?”

“Why am I acting like this?” she asks looking at me. “It’s because of you.” I knew it. “Why did you smell like the hospital? What were you doing there?”

 

Christy’s POV

The moment I say those questions, I immediately want to take them back. I don’t know why, but for some reason I feel like I shouldn’t be asking those questions. It must be the pregnancy hormones, thinking that I’m doing something wrong. I don’t know why I’m having this feeling.

“What do you mean the hospital?” Onew asks, but I can tell that he’s just pretending like he doesn’t know. His eyes don’t look into mine. Even when he was telling a little lie his eyes would look into mine. Does that mean that it’s a big lie this time?

I sigh. He’s not going to tell me, if he hasn’t told me already, then that probably means that he wasn’t going to tell me in the first place. Why am I even bothering with it?

I walk away and continue doing what I’m doing until I feel Onew come around and hug me. “I’m sorry,” he whispers.

“Sorry?” I ask attempting to act uninterested. “Why are you saying that you’re sorry if you didn’t do anything?”

I know that those words probably hurt him. I know that he’s probably feeling guilty because I said those things, but that’s only if he did do anything. How am I supposed to know? I guess it must be those motherly instincts starting to set in.

“Christy listen I—,” he begins as I turn around to look at him, but he is then interrupted by his phone. The both of us look down to his pocket where his phone is ringing as we stand there in silence.

“Well, answer it,” I say as we both stare at each other for the longest time.

“Yea, right, answering it,” he mutters as he digs into his pocket and gets it out. I’m not entirely sure what the other person on the line is saying and the responses that he’s giving doesn’t give away too much information. Is that what he wants?

“What was that?” I ask, but I know that I probably won’t get an answer. Is this how married couples feel after being married for so long? Is this what Onew and I are going to be like for the rest of our lives or this what happens after good friends suddenly are expecting a child, get married, and confess their feelings for each other?

“Nothing,” he says sighing, but it doesn’t look like it was nothing, it now seems like he’s distressed about something, but like expected, he won’t say anything. I guess the saying is true when they say that marriage changes a person.

“Oh,” I manage to mutter.

“I…I have to get going, I’ll come back later,” he says as he turns and heads out to go put on a jacket and go to wherever he is going.

I don’t ask questions, I don’t say anything. If things are going to be this way, I guess I should just accept it now. Shouldn’t husband and wives have good conversations between them? Shouldn’t they be able to at least tell each other how they’re feeling? Right now, Onew and I aren’t able to do any of that. We just recently confessed our feelings to each other. I guess some things are short-lived.

After Onew leaves, I finish up doing a little bit of cleaning before I go into the living room. Even though I told Onew that I didn’t want to go out and have fun with him today, I kind of wanted to, but I felt like that would only be more lies that he’s probably telling me during our whole day out.

Maybe I’m overreacting, maybe I shouldn’t be feeling this way. It’s probably the stupid pregnancy hormones that are causing me to be extra sensitive to things that he’s doing and to other people around me. This stinks.

“Noona, are you okay?” Taemin asks coming into the room as he rubs his eyes.

“Why aren’t you in class?” I ask as I turn around and look at him as he takes a seat next to me.

“I thought you would need some company today,” he says with a smile. “Let’s do something fun, alright?”

“Fun?” I ask. I guess it won’t do any harm. It’s Taemin. “Sure,” I say with a smile.

 

Onew’s POV

Why did the hospital have to call now? Just when I was going to have Christy spend the day with me, the hospital has to get in the way. Just when I was going to tell her the truth about the hospital, they call me saying that they have an emergency with Raina.

I’m panicking on the inside, but I shouldn’t be panicking because I don’t have any more feelings for Raina. They all disappeared after the night that I figured that I truly love Christy, the same night that Raina said all of those bad things about Christy and me, even though she didn’t know that I was the father of the baby at that point in time. Still, it’s common to feel concerned for a person, and that’s all that I’m doing. I’m feeling concern for Raina.

Within a short time I get to the hospital and go towards the place where Raina is and towards the front desk. If anyone were to have information, it’d be them. “Hello,” I say greeting the people at the desk. “I’m Onew or rather, Lee Jinki, you called me about Raina.”

“Yes,” the woman at the desk says. “The doctor is waiting for you in his office, it’s over that way.” She points to the general direction.

“Thank you,” I say slightly bowing as I leave to go find my way to the doctor’s office.

It’s not that complicated to find the place considering that there’s signs all over the place and it’s really easy to navigate. After a while, I finally find the doctor that is taking care of Raina and knock on the door. “Come in,” a voice from the inside says.

“Hello,” I say bowing as I enter the office. “I’m Lee Jinki,” I say because I wrote my real name when signing all of the paperwork.

“Yes,” the doctor says. “Please take a seat.”

I do as I’m told and take a seat right in front of his desk as he goes through some paperwork, probably to find the information about Raina or whatever he wanted to tell me.

“So, you’re probably wondering the reason why I called you here, right?” the doctor says with a slight laugh.

“I think anyone would, honestly,” I say laughing along with him a little.

“So, the patient Raina,” he says opening up the file and looking at it. “As you know she is currently in the ICU.”

“Yes,” I say nodding my head along with every correct statement that he says. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“No, there’s nothing,” he says shaking his head. “She seems to have been remarkably healing as she has already woken up.”

“Seriously?” I ask in shock.

“While she may have woken up, it seems like she has lost some of her memory. You said that you were friends with one another, so could you go meet her?”

“Go meet her?” I ask. “Like go visit?”

“Exactly. She has been transferred out of the ICU since she has woken up,” the doctor explains. “If you follow me, I can lead the way to her room.”

I get up and follow the doctor to the room that Raina is currently in. It sounds too good to be true, just yesterday she was in the ICU and in surgery and a lot of things happened to her. Then today I get a phone call saying that she’s up, but she simply lost some of her memory? It just seems too good to be true.

“Right in here,” the doctor says as he gestures towards the door.

I walk through the open door and see Raina sitting up. She looks perfectly normal, besides a couple of needles and tubes running and some bruising.

“Doctor, Jinki-ah!” Raina yells as soon as she sees us. I awkwardly wave to her as I step into the room. “Isn’t he the greatest boyfriend in the world?” she asks turning to the doctor.

“Boyfriend?” I ask in disbelief. What is this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the sudden change in Raina? How did she go from being badly injured to being fine? Will Onew tell Christy the truth? How are Christy and Taemin planning to spend the day?

 

Here is Chapter 34. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

I'm so sorry that it's taking me soooo long to update. College life, but I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

And I created a poll that has nothing to do with the progression of the story, haha. But it does involve the story. So, the poll is what you think the story of the sequel is. I already created the title, but there are four options and I want to see what you guys think the title of the sequel will be and to also see how many people think that the actual title of the sequel is the actual title of the sequel, haha.