Eh?

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Onew’s POV

Christy and I immediately look up as we near metal clatter on the counter. I don’t even want to look at our parents. For some reason I get the feeling that they won’t be happy with this. They’re not the easiest people to appease in the world even with the simplest of things and now telling them that they’re about to be grandparents probably scares them a little bit. I mean, it even scares Christy.

Finally, I look at their faces and I see shock written all over. They probably weren’t expecting this. Well, of course none of us were expecting Christy to get pregnant.

“Mom,” Christy says.

“Christina, is it true?” Aunt asks looking at her. I can’t tell whether she’s happy or sad about the news.

“Mom, it’s true,” she says looking down at the ground or whatever is on the ground.

“Is it true that you’re the father?” my mother asks me.

I nod my head. “It’s true, I’m the father,” I say looking them straight on. I’m not going to be afraid in front of them. I want this baby. This baby is going to be Onew Jr. I’m not missing out on that. It may be early, but it’s still my child.

“I don’t know what to say,” Aunt says looking at the both of us. “Should I be happy or disappointed?”

Christy and I take quick glances at each other. We still don’t know what their reactions are going to be and if there’s anything that we’ve learned by growing up together it’s that our fathers’ reactions are going to be ten times worse.

“Same goes for me,” Mom says speaking up. “Jinki, how could you let this happen?”

They both sigh as they look at us. Neither of us know what’s going on in their minds. “We’ll discuss this later at dinner,” Aunt says. “When your father and your father gets home,” she says pointing at each of us. This could either mean something good or bad, but it looks like the conversation is over for now. How could this conversation between them be so short? I guess we’ll have an even more important conversation later.

Quietly, Christy and I retreat back to her room where we both sit down on her bed. “Well, that didn’t go very well,” I say attempting to strike up conversation.

“Well Mr. Obvious,” Christy says rolling her eyes at me. “It’s going to get worse when our fathers are brought into the picture.”

“Well they would have to figure out sooner or later,” I tell her while I start eating some of my salad again.

“Yeah, but I didn’t think that they would be talking with them over dinner,” she says as she sighs. “Sorry I ruined Chicken Saturday.”

“It’s alright,” I say attempting to make her happy again. I feel bad that she’s sad. She shouldn’t be sad, she should be happy. “When we have the baby, the baby can join us for Chicken Saturdays!” I happily say.

“The baby won’t even have any teeth!” she tells me. I can tell that she wants to smile, but she’s attempting to hold it in. Looks like she’s already claiming the role of being a strict parent. Yes! I get to be the role of the fun parent!

“There’s the invention of a blender,” I say matter-of-factly.  Christy rolls her eyes and looks at me like she can’t believe that I just said that. “Um…you aren’t planning on keeping the pregnancy a secret, right?”

“Everyone’s going to find out eventually. I’ll get big so they’ll be able to see that I obviously didn’t grow fat over night. Why?” she asks curiously.

“I want to tell the members of SHINee.”

“You want to tell them?”

“You have an objection?” I ask.

“No,” she says shaking her head, “but already?”

“Of course!” I say getting up after throwing out the now empty salad container. “I want them to know that I’m going to have another chicken eating buddy. I’ll be back for dinner, okay?”

“Why don’t I come with you,” Christy quickly says before I leave her room.

“You want to come with?” I ask looking back at her.

“Sure. It’s more effective if we tell them together,” she says as she gets out of bed and grabs some clothes. “I’m going to go change, wait for me.”

 

Christy’s POV

I quickly grab other clothes and get dressed to Onew eating the leftover soup that’s sitting on my side table. “You can eat that, go ahead,” I say pointing towards it.

Onew grabs the spoon and starts eating it, finishing it all before we make our way downstairs. “We’re going out for a little bit,” Onew tells them. It seems like he’s braver about this whole situation than I am. It seems like a new side.

Our parents don’t say anything and simply nod. I guess they’re thinking about the situation or they were talking about us and don’t want us to hear. Either way, we’re going out and I’m pregnant with Onew’s baby. I’m pregnant. I don’t think I’ll ever wrap my head around it.

“Where would SHINee be right now?” I ask Onew as we walk out of the house.

“Probably at the usual hangout, it’s Saturday,” Onew says shoving his hands into his pockets as we walk along. “Do you want to walk or take the bus? Should we take the bus since you’re pregnant?”

“Let’s walk. It feels good to get some fresh air,” I say following behind him. “And don’t be overbearing since I’m having the baby.”

“How would I be overbearing?” Onew asks playing innocent.

“Don’t think that I can’t do anything just because I’m pregnant. Later I’ll have to pay attention to what I do and I can’t overexert myself, but I can still do normal things until that time,” I tell him. “I don’t want to feel like I’m helpless and I can’t do things that I normally do anymore.”

“I won’t make you feel like that,” Onew says smiling. “I’ll feed you chicken when you’re bedridden.”

“Hey,” I say reaching over and hitting his arm. It’s only ever chicken. “We’re going to have to fix this picky habit of yours. The baby can’t catch it.”

“Well, the baby might already have that half of the DNA,” he says sticking his tongue out at me.

I roll my eyes at his statement as we continue walking to Key’s house, their usual hangout when Onew isn’t home. “How do you think they’re going to react?” I ask.

“They’ll be alright,” Onew says nodding his head.

“Are you sure?” I ask unsure.

“I’m positive,” he says smiling. “They’ll be supportive. They’ll even help us raise the baby.”

“I’m not sure if I want the baby around such bad influences,” I joke.

“Then what about me?” Onew asks pointing at himself. “I’m a bad influence.”

“But you’re the father of this baby. I think I’m alright with one bad influence, but only one.” I see a smile come out on Onew’s face and I can’t help but smile myself.

We finally reach Key’s house. Like always, his parents aren’t home since they work during the day. Onew and I just walk in the house since normally it’s kept unlocked and if anyone were to break in, there’s always Minho to take them on. He’s very into sports and that type of thing. I think he’s even majoring in sports.

“Hyung,” Taemin says, he’s the first one to greet. He gets up off of the couch and make his way towards Onew and me as soon as he sees us. “Is your doctor’s appointment over?”

“You knew?” I ask pointing at him.

“I texted hyung and he said that he was there with you,” Taemin says pointing at Onew. I nod my head. So he doesn’t know that I’m pregnant, he only knows that I was at the doctor’s. as far as he’s concerned, it could be about anything. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I say attempting a smile knowing what’s going to happen in a couple of minutes. The feeling of butterflies comes back into my stomach, or is it the feeling of having a baby inside of me, I really don’t know.

 

Onew’s POV

While Christy is talking with Taemin on the couch, I venture around the house to find the others. Taemin wouldn’t be in the house alone unless the others went to the grocery store or something and left him here, but normally he would go to the grocery store to get his banana milk.

“Taemin-ah,” I say calling to him. “Where are the rest of them?”

“Key-hyung and Jonghyun-hyung went out and Minho is somewhere around here. Maybe he’s in the backyard?”

I go out back and see Minho out there like Taemin thought. “Exercising again?” I ask.

“Hyung, why are you here? I thought today was Chicken Saturday,” Minho says when he notices me.

“Well some things came up and we went for a more relaxed Chicken Saturday,” I explain without going into all of the details. “How long ago did Key and Jonghyun leave?”

“They’ll be back soon,” Minho says as he does some chin-ups. “But why go for a relaxed Chicken Saturday? Aren’t they always intense?”

“Yeah, we decided to go for a change,” I say as I hear Key’s loud voice. “They’re back. Come inside,” I beckon to him, “you can exercise later. I have something to tell all of you.”

Willingly, Minho follows inside as Key is arguing with Jonghyun as they sit on the couch. I look at Christy and she figures that this is a perfect time to say something.

“Hey, hyung,” Key and Jonghyun greet as soon as they see me before they go back to arguing with each other.

“Guys, guys,” I say attempting to control them, but they just ignore me.

“Yah!” Christy yells catching all of their attentions and slightly scaring Taemin.

“Whoa, what was the yelling for?” Key asks holding his ear.

“What happened to Chicken Saturday?” Jonghyun asks completely not caring about our existence there.

“We have something to announce,” I say. Now I have everyone’s attention. “You all know that Christy and I are as close as brother and sister, right?” I ask them.

“Are you guys dating?” Taemin asks with a bright glow in his face.

“No…,” I say as I gently look at Christy. “It’s not that we’re necessarily boyfriend and girlfriend, but do you remember the ending of exams a little while ago?” It feels like the wheels in their heads are turning and it seems like none of them can remember. Was it really that bad?

“Onew and I are having a baby,” Christy suddenly says earning the stares from everyone. I wasn’t expecting her to say it straightforward like that. She was hesitant when it came to telling our parents.

Their faces are in pure shock. “Eh?” they all say at the same time staring at us.

“Pregnant as in baby pregnant?” Jonghyun asks.

“What other way is there to be pregnant?” Christy asks. “Yes baby as in living thing in my stomach.” She points at it.

“Parents, wow,” Taemin says as his mouth hangs open. “Can I play with the baby when you have it?”

“I want to play with the baby,” I complain looking at Taemin. “You can play with it afterwards.”

“But it’ll be grown,” he groans. I simply stick my tongue out.

I’m happy that at least this was a different reaction than our parents right now.

 

Christy’s POV

We spend the rest of the afternoon with the members of SHINee. They basically talk about all of the baby stuff that they want to do once the baby arrives, even if it’s not going to be for months. It seems like Onew is still the most excited about the baby still. I’m still a bit hesitant, but I’m beginning to feel better knowing that I have people who will support me even if our parents don’t.

“That went better than I thought,” I say to Onew as we walk back to my house together for the long awaited, not really dinner.

“Yeah, they seem to really like this idea,” Onew says with a big smile.

“But it’s not really an idea,” I tell him. “It’s more like…an unexpected happening?”

“I guess you could say. How do you think our parents are going to react?”

I shrug my shoulders. “It could go either way, really.”

“I think they won’t approve of it. Do you think that they’ll make me leave you alone?”

“I don’t think so,” I say shaking my head. “I mean, we’ve been good friends and our mothers are good friends. There’s no way that they’re just going to forbid you from seeing me. You also said that you were going to protect me and this baby, remember?”

“And I will. Even if they forbid me from seeing you, I’m still going to see you. Right now, you and this baby are like chicken in my life and chicken is like air, I can’t live without any of you. Of course, not in a romantic way.”

“Of course,” I say immediately confirming. “Not in the romantic way, not at all.”

The two of us finally arrive at my house and open the door to see our parents sitting at the dinner table having a conversation. As soon as they see us walk through the door, they are immediately silent.

“We’re home,” I attempt to say nonchalantly as I hang up my jacket and Onew does the same.

“Sit down,” Mom say gesturing to two empty seats aside of each other on one side of the table. On the other side, our mothers sit there while our fathers are at the end of the table.

Onew and I do as we’re told and sit there while looking at the adult figures all around us. Even though we’ve had family meals together before with Onew’s family, today gives the completely different feel that I can’t put my finger on. I can’t help but feel like today is going to change our lives forever, as if it hasn’t already.

“Why don’t we eat first?” Mom asks breaking the awkwardness between us.

The six of us there eat a silent dinner. The only sound that can be heard is the clanking of silverware against plates as we eat the chicken and vegetables that was made by our mothers earlier in the day for our Chicken Saturday that is slowly coming to a close. After we’re finished eating, we sit around the table again and I prepare myself for the conversation that I don’t want to happen.

“We’ve already heard,” Dad says starting off. “Christy, how could you get pregnant?”

“I’m sorry,” I say immediately bowing my head. “But I’m planning on keeping the baby.”

“So we’ve heard,” Uncle says chiming in.

“How long have you known?” Mom asks joining the conversation.

“I just found out today,” I admit. “I wasn’t feeling well those couple of days, remember?” I ask her. She nods her head. “I made a doctor’s appointment for today and that’s when he told me the news. I didn’t know for that long. I only knew today.”

“At least you didn’t hide it from us,” Auntie says.

“Would that have made it worse?” Onew asks. As if he couldn’t have has asked a worse question at a time like this, but that’s Onew. He has the worst timing in the world.

“Possibly,” Auntie says. She’s probably used to Onew’s behavior, we all are, really. “If you prolonged telling someone and going to the doctor’s, then it could affect the health of the baby. There are things that need to be done to ensure that the baby is healthy.”

“Does that mean that you’re letting us keep the baby?” Onew asks his face brightening once again.

“If we said no, you would’ve done it anyway. Christy is one stubborn person,” Mom says.

“And we don’t want to lose you as our children,” Aunt says.

“Jinki, are you sure you can raise a child?” Uncle asks looking at him.

“I’m confident,” Onew says. “I work part-time and I’m not planning on abandoning my baby at all. I’m pretty excited,” he says with a dorky smile.

“Do you think raising a child is that easy?” Dad asks him.

 

Onew’s POV

I think about the question that Uncle asks me. “Well, I don’t expect it to be easy,” I tell him. “I know that it’s a lot of work, but I don’t plan on abandoning any time soon.”

I look at my parents and Christy’s parents who just stare at us like we’re crazy. Do they not believe that we can take good care of a baby?

“We’ll help you with the baby,” Aunt says looking at my mother and back to us.

“But there’s one thing,” Mom says breaking the news.

“What’s the one thing?” I ask curiously.

Our attention gets drawn to our fathers. “You say that you’re going to stick by Christina and not abandon her, right Jinki?” Dad asks me sternly.

“Yes,” I say looking at me. “I’m not going to leave her. Is that the one thing?”

“No,” he says shaking his head.

“The one thing,” Uncle says speaking up, “is that you have to marry Christina.”

“Eh?” Christy and I ask looking at each other at the same time.

I have to marry Christy?  Well, at least now we don’t have to worry about what the child will think if we have to marry other people and end up having children with them. But I only see Christy as a sister, an annoying sister, but I have to marry her now? That’s the one thing that I have to do in order to get my wish of having this baby?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, their mothers aren't that mad at them and their fathers are still on the fence. Their fathers have said that they have to marry, what's going to happen? Will Onew and Christy agree to get married? How will they be able to get along before the baby comes?

 

Here is Chapter 3. Hope you enjoyed :D

I've updated this every day so far :)