This Is Trouble

Me and My Bumbling Best Friend

Christy’s POV

I lie in bed as I attempt to get some more sleep. Pulling the covers tightly over me, I snuggle up some more against Stitch, the stuffed animal that I sleep with nowadays. I have slept with him ever since I got him for my eighteenth birthday, one year ago. Yes I’m nineteen and yes I still sleep with a stuffed animal.

“Christy, wake up!” my mother calls from downstairs. I don’t respond in hopes of her just ignoring the fact and letting me sleep some more. Today is Saturday. I don’t have anything particular to do and I haven’t been feeling particularly well for the past couple of days. I’m a person too, I need rest.

I hear footsteps come up the stairs, but I completely ignore them. It’s probably, more than likely, my mother coming to say that I should get up for the day. Has she not been paying attention to me for the past couple of days? I’m sick. She should be taking care of me rather than nagging me to do things. I’m a university student, too. I get tired easily.

“Mom, let me sleep,” I groan as I roll around in bed to get into a more comfortable position.

“I’m not your mother,” a very familiar voice says.

“Onew,” I groan, “you’ll let me sleep, right?”

“I’ve come upon orders of your mother,” Onew says in a formal voice like he’s acting in some play. After knowing him for all of my life, I’ve learned not to question this sort of behavior from him. It happens very often.

“But I want to sleep,” I complain as I gently open my eyes and sit up.

“But you have to get up. You haven’t forgotten what today is, right?”

“Today?” I ask ruffling up my already messed up hair. I don’t care of Onew sees me like this. We’ve known each other for too long to become uncomfortable around one another. Our mothers are best friends so we spent a lot of time, and I mean a humongous amount of time, together when we were growing up.

But I continue back to thinking. What could today be? Don’t tell me that Onew is lying and just making stuff up to get me out of bed. As far as I know, or care, today is Saturday. Saturday means sleeping in and doing nothing, not getting disturbed by your mother or your best friend.

“I don’t know,” I finally say giving up as I try to crawl back into bed, but Onew is faster and falls right on top of me, like his personality calls for.

“You really don’t know?” he asks pouting.

“Should I?” I ask eyeing him.

“You should,” he states.

“Well, sorry,” I say shrugging my shoulders. “I really don’t know.”

“Aish,” he says flicking my forehead. I rub the spot because he has a notorious reputation for flicking really hard, but he didn’t even use half of his strength on me. I glare at him while Onew innocently stares back. “Did that help?” he asks like a little child.

“Nope,” I say. “And I’m sick, why would you injure a sick girl?”

“Sorry,” Onew says bowing his head before me.

“If you’re so sorry, then tell me why today is so important,” I say crossing my hands across my chest.

“Today is…drumroll,” Onew says as he begins beating down on my bed with a gigantic smile across his face. “Chicken Saturday!” he yells as he goes to the front of my bed and starts twirling around until he lands flat on his . I point at him and laugh.

Now I understand why today was so important to him. Today is Onew’s favorite day of the month, well, of any month. Once a month, Onew and I will eat chicken all day in like every meal. We eat a variety of chicken products, but it’s chicken nonetheless. How did I forget this month’s Chicken Saturday?

“Sorry, I forgot,” I say.

“It’s alright,” he chuckles. “Now go get ready. I’m ready to get me some chicken!” Onew skips out of my room like a little girl and I laugh at him while I manage to crawl out of bed to get myself ready for today’s chicken-fest.

 

Onew’s POV

I can’t believe that that girl forgot about my Chicken Saturdays. It’s something that we’ve been doing since middle school, how could she forget? Doesn’t she remember when our mothers used to laugh at us because we would go to all of these different chicken restaurants and just spend the day talking about what chicken tastes the best and what way it’s cooked? I guess the old age is catching up to her…even if I am older than she is.

“Did you wake Christy up?” Aunt asks as I walk back downstairs. I just address her as Aunt since we have a close relationship. I address Christy’s father as Uncle, too. She does the same with my mother and father.

“Yes I did,” I say nodding my head. “I can’t believe she forgot.”

“Well, she has been feeling under the weather lately,” Aunt says as it seems her mind has drifted off into space.

“I guess so,” I say. “But she seemed perfectly fine when I went to wake her up."

“It was probably just a cold, you know how those things come and go, Jinki,” she says with a smile. I politely smile back as I sit down on the couch and wait for Christy to come out so we can get the day started.

After a short while of me flipping through the channels, stopping occasionally on every food show I saw that made me even hungrier, Christy finally walks down the stairs. “Sorry, I took a long time, didn’t I,” she says as she puts on her jacket.

“Nope,” I say shaking my head as I turn the television off and stand up. “Shall we get going?” I point towards the door with my thumb and Christy nods her head.

“We’ll see you later, Mom!” Christy calls to her mother who is in the kitchen.

“You kids have fun now,” she calls back as we leave the house.

“Your mom is always so sweet,” I say as we walk down the street to our first stop.

Also, on every Chicken Saturday, we go to the exact same spots, but we only ever end up going to one spot each year, on Chicken Saturday, because I found so many. The internet can prove to be a very useful tool, especially when it comes to chicken. Every time we go to the places, though, we always order something different…until we run out of chicken items and then start all over again. I am very organized when it comes to chicken.

My mother, sweet?” Christy asks in disbelief. “You should see her sometimes. I’m a sick person, you know.”

“You don’t look that sick, on the outside that is,” I add. “Maybe in your brain there’s a little sickness going on.” I tap the top of her head and she shoots me a glare.

“Ha ha, very funny, Jinki,” she says emphasizing my birth name. She only does that when she’s somewhat annoyed with me.

“Okay, Christina,” I say saying her full name. I always do that to get back at her. Whenever we want to annoy the other one or when we mean serious business, my real name comes out as so does her full name. Any other time we go by nicknames.

Finally, we make our way to the first stop and I can’t wait for some chicken. Chicken is my favorite. Today is fried chicken for breakfast. Yum.

“Hmm, what should I get?” Christy asks looking up at the menu.

“I already know what I’m getting,” I proudly state.

“Hey, unlike you who stays up all night looking for a chicken product at every stop that we’re going to go to today, I actually sleep like some normal people.”

“I’m going to get fried chicken,” I say completely ignoring her statement. So what if it’s true?

“Then I’ll get what you’re having. Can we split?”

“Split?” I ask shocked. “I don’t split my chicken with anyone.”

“Fine, fine,” Christy says putting her hands up. “I’ll just get my own, but you’re paying.”

“Wouldn’t have it any other way,” I state as I pull out my wallet.

 

Christy’s POV

I sit down at a table while Onew gets the fried chicken. I’m so stupid for forgetting it, how is that even possible? We’ve been doing this since middle school. There must be something wrong with my brain. I’ve been feeling sick on and off lately, too. My mom thinks that it’s a cold, but I already made a doctor’s appointment for today at ten thirty. The clock says that it’s nine.

“Two orders of fried chicken,” Onew says placing the bucket down.

“Thanks,” I say grabbing mine.

We both immediately dig in and begin eating it. The both of us don’t need to say anything to know that it’s already good since we’re both eating the same thing. That would just waste time.

“Chicken…I love you,” Onew whispers to a piece of chicken while he kisses it, only to bite into it the next second.

“You know, that’s like telling someone that you love them and then backstabbing them the next second,” I state.

“Christy,” Onew says looking into my eyes, “I love you. Boom!” He takes a drumstick and makes a stabbing motion towards me.

I simply roll my eyes at him. What am I supposed to say to that? Onew’s randomness, one of the things that now keeps me sane.

Actually, even though we’ve known each other since we were born, we haven’t been the best of friends. I only knew Onew by name, and back then, he was Lee Jinki. Onew is simply a nickname, one that I have absolutely no idea how he came about in creating. We didn’t become close until middle school, and considering that we were always in the same class with each other and near each other in the seating; it wasn’t hard for us to be able to become friends with each other.  Well, that and also including that our mothers are best friends and past coworkers.

At first, girls were always jealous of me because I was always with Onew. They loved him. They all thought he was cute and had a great personality and could make people laugh fairly easily. I, on the other hand, saw him as someone who was very clumsy all the time who did awkward things.

Once people saw that Onew and I were only friends and acted more like brother and sister rather than boyfriend and girlfriend, they lightened up a bit and started asking me to pass him notes. All of to which he paid no attention to.

Yes, Lee Jinki was not the average person. We ended up going to the same high school, too. There, he even attracted more girls with his group SHINee. How they came up with that name I don’t know. It was probably another one of Onew’s creations, just like his nickname.

I guess I’m close with the other members of SHINee, but I’m closer with Onew more. The next would have to be Key. What kind of name is Key? I like Kibum better, his real name. What’s up with people and nicknames that have no relation to their real names? At least mine makes sense…Christy from Christina…makes sense.

“Whoa, you’re already done?” I ask looking at Onew’s bucket of chicken.

“Yup,” he says as he his fingers. “Chicken is no joke. You should know that.”

“Yeah, I guess I’m just forgetful,” I say with a light smile. “Ah, that reminds me, I have a doctor’s appointment today at ten thirty. I hope to get there at around fifteen. Can you drop me off?”

“I can go there and wait with you,” he offers as he starts taking some chicken from my bucket. I allow him to since there’s no way that I’m going to be able to finish all of it. I seriously can’t get how he can eat all of this chicken and have room for some more chicken later in the day.

“Okay,” I say nodding my hair. “You can have the rest of this chicken if you wish.” I push it towards him.

“You’re not hungry?” he asks concerned.

“Well I’m sorry that all of us don’t have appetites like you,” I joke.

“Well, my appetite for chicken is no joke.” He says that like it’s something to be proud of.

I glance at the clock before we leave and it says that it’s ten. We just spent an hour eating fried chicken. Onew probably spent less than an hour actually eating his while I didn’t even finish mine.

“Shall we go to the doctor’s office?” I suggest. “It’s ten right now and the appointment is at ten thirty.”

“Sure,” Onew says.

We get on the bus to go to the doctor’s. “Oh, look at that cute couple,” I hear someone remark. I’m about to correct the person when Onew’s arm just pulls me along.

“I was going to correct her,” I pout as I sit next to him.

“Just let her think what she wants. She’s obviously jealous because you have such a good looking boyfriend,” Onew says with a smile. This is one of the many traits of Onew, one minute being a bumbling idiot and the next minute having a cool feel with no trace of his bumbling idiot side.

“You think you’re funny,” I say rolling my eyes. Onew just laughs at me as we make our way to the doctor’s office.

 

Onew’s POV

I really like teasing Christy. It’s easy and it’s fun. It’s mostly that way since we’ve known each other for a long time. I’ve never been romantically interested in her; I’ve only ever seen her as a younger sister, almost a twin since we’re the same age and we’ve grown up together. I know that Christy feels the same way.

We both arrive at the doctor’s office and I wait in the lobby while Christy goes to check in and fill out some simple paperwork. I sit in the chair completely bored out of my mind. How can someone work in a doctor’s office? I’m not the best person when it comes to patience when I have nothing to do except wait, but I told Christy that I’d wait for her and I’ll do it.

I spy a kid right next to where I’m sitting and automatically my body freezes. I’m not very good with children, I just hope that he doesn’t come anywhere near me. “Is someone afraid of that child over there?” Christy whispers in my ear as she sits back down from turning in the clipboard.

“No,” I say sort of shakily. “I’m perfectly fine.”

“Then why is your body tensing?”

“It’s not,” I say, but I can’t say anything else because Christy already knows about my fear. “I’m never having kids,” I say crossing my arms and legs at the same time.

“Stupid,” she says as she turns back waiting for her name to be called.

After about ten more minutes, Christy’s name finally gets called, leaving me out in the lobby with the kid who keeps looking at me. Do they have some sort of sense that lets them know what people don’t like them, like dogs?

“Ah, hello,” I say politely bowing to the child. He gives a faint smile before continuing to play with his toys. So maybe it wasn’t so bad as I thought.

My mind begins to wander to the type of chicken that I plan on eating for lunch. Should I go with a salad? I mean, I’ll have a light lunch and then go all out for dinner. That sounds like a good plan.

Suddenly, my phone vibrates interrupting my thoughts. I look and see that it’s Taemin, the youngest of SHINee. Even though we started the group in high school, we’re continuing it in college since all of us attend the same university. We’ll always be SHINee, nothing will ever change that.

 

Hyung, where are you?

-Taemin

 

Doesn’t he know that today is Chicken Saturday? Well, probably not since he always forgets stuff. I sigh and decide to text him back.

 

It’s Chicken Saturday! I’m at the doctor’s office with Christy. Text you later.

-Onew

 

“Is there a Mr. Lee Jinki?” a woman asks coming through the door. I immediately stand up hearing my name. “Follow me.” Without any questions asked, I begin following her. Why am I following this woman? What if Christy comes out and wonders where I went? What if this woman is going to eat me? “Please enter here.” I enter the room and see Christy sitting there along with a doctor.

“Is this the person who brought you?” the doctor asks pointing at me. Christy nods. “Hello, Mr. Jinki,” the doctor says. “You may sit there.” He points at an empty seat next to Christy that I take. I’m still wondering what this is about. Why should I enter the same doctor’s room as Christy? Shouldn’t she be having her checkup about now? Wasn’t she coming here because of her cold or whatever sickness she’s been having lately?

“So, you wanted us both in here?” Christy asks. “Why?”

“I wanted you both to hear the news,” the doctor says. It doesn’t sound good. If there really is something wrong with her head, I’ll apologize immediately for making that joke. “Congratulations, Christina, you’re pregnant!” the doctor announces with a bright smile.

“What?” Christy and I both yell looking at each other. How in the world did Christy get pregnant? Who is the father? As far as I know, she’s never had any boyfriends. Pregnant? She’s really pregnant? Well, I hope her baby likes chicken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's the father of Christy's baby? How is the rest of Chicken Saturday going to go?

 

Hello! Welcome to my new story. Me and My Bumbling Best Friend. Even though I haven't finished with my other stories, I'll be adding this one into the mix. I'll still be finishing my other stories, though. I'm just going to be updating them all at the same time! I can do it! I've done it before :) 

But I felt good about this first chapter. Normally, I hate my first chapters. But this one was the second one that I was proud of.

So, here's Chapter 1. Hope you enjoyed :D