My First Friend

Secret Duet [HIATUS]

HONK HONK HONK

I dropped my books in surprise. Ugh. Who would be honking at this hour? I bent down to pick up my books. It was hard, since I had my guitar on my back

"Need a little help?"

No, it can't be...

"Wooyoung?"

"Morning Jieun," I turned around, and sure enough there he was. Smiling like an idiot, may I add. 

What a great way to start off my day.

Ok, so I wasn't being completely sarcastic, I'm kind of... happy he's here. But I won’t let him know that.

“Were you the one honking?” I asked, annoyed.

“Yeah, I needed to get your attention, although I can see I scared you.” He laughed.

“Look, I’m not in the mood right now. I barely got sleep yesterday because I was thinking of Woo-“ I stopped.

So yesterday night, I, once again, couldn’t get him of my mind. His smile and his eyes when I told him yes… I don’t know just, he was really happy, which made me really happy. I don’t know why it did; I guess I just like seeing people happy! ...  Well he never left my mind. So in the end, I only got a blink of sleep.

“Woo?” he had a… weird face. “Who’s that?”

…Did he really not figure it out?

“No one you know.” I quickly replied. He seems very troubled…

“Well… you want a ride?” he changed the subject.

“…Sure?”

The next thing I knew I was in his car, heading to school. I just realized, people will see me with him, again.

Just what I need.

“Wooyoung, I think you should drop me off here.”

“Huh, why?” he didn’t pull over.

“Just do it,”

“No, unless you give me a good reason.”

I sighed, “Look, don’t you think it’s bad for your reputation, to be hanging out with me?” He chuckled.

“Oh I remember hearing those lines before…” He whispered to himself.

“Huh?”

“Look, I don’t care about my so called, reputation, ok?”

That made me shut up.


“She’s with him again?!”

“Who does she think he is?”

“Oppa! NO!”

“I think they’re dating.”

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Rumors are going to spread like wildfire.  

Lee Jieun, unpopular girl, with Jang Wooyoung, popular guy (if not the MOST popular guy), once again.

I hope I make it home today.

“Come on Jieun, let’s get to home room.”

I just nodded.

Gasps, shrieks, screams, and people fainting.

Chaos has begun.

All because he opened my door.


I could hear all the rumors about me and him as I entered the cafeteria. I’ve been doing my best to keep away from Wooyoung, and so far, I’ve succeeded.

I think I can finally relax.  

I sat down at my normal lunch table, alone as usual. I heard the chatter of the cafeteria slowly decrease until it was silent. Hm… I wonder what happened. I shrugged it off as nothing and began to take a bite of my sandwich…

“Hey Jieun!” I dropped my sandwich, and looked up; my body tensed up, Wooyoung.

Everything clicked.

I cautiously looked around. My suspicions are right; everyone is staring right at us.

“Wooyoung,” I harshly whispered, “What are you doing here?”

I really jinxed what I thought earlier.

“Why can’t I be here?” He replied loudly.

I looked him straight in the eye…

His eyes always show something, don’t they?

I’m sorry, but please, just let me sit here. That’s what he was telling me by his look. I sighed and gave him a small smile and nodded. He smiled back.

“Why is everyone so quiet?” Wooyoung announced. “It’s lunch!”

This got everyone back to socializing. The silence once again filled by the chatter of high school students. Wooyoung has some power; his words alone got everyone out of silence.

“So, why did you suddenly choose to sit with me?” I asked right before I took a bite of my sandwich.

He gave a small sigh, “Well, let’s say that I want to start sitting with you, every day from now on.”

EH? What. I do not want a replay of what happened earlier to happen EVERYDAY. Lunch will never be the same!

“What!” I silently shrieked, “No way!”

He gave me that look again, “Jieun, please, I’m sorry, but… I can’t exactly tell you why…” He bit his lip.

Jang Wooyoung. You owe me.

“…Fine. But… you have to buy me lunch from now on!” That seems fair right?

He laughed softly, it was very cute. In a brotherly way! Except I don’t consider him that close! Ugh… Déjà vu much?

“Alright that seems fair!” He quietly exclaimed.

I noticed that he didn’t have lunch.

“Where’s your food?”

He sheepishly scratched his neck, “I forgot my wallet in my car, and I’m too lazy to get it.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. I saw his face turn pinkish, which made my laughter increase.

“Want it?” I waved my unfinished sandwich in front of him.

“Aren’t you eating it though?” he questioned.

“Nah, I’m good now, take it!”

“No! It’s yours!” he paused. “Besides I’m not hungry.”

Right when those words left his mouth, I heard his stomach grumble in disagreement. I giggled. His face now was red as the tomatoes in my sandwich. I lightly shoved the sandwich to him.

“Gomawo…” being informal I see, I smiled.

I saw his eyes dart to my left, where his usual table, the Popular Table, is. I carefully looked at that table, making sure it wouldn’t seem like I’m looking there, and I saw all the Populars staring at us. However, one specific Popular was glaring at me.


After lunch, I stopped avoiding him. Not because I wanted too! Because he started walking with me everywhere, I know he got himself late to his classes that he doesn’t have with me. Ok… maybe it’s PARTLY because I wanted too… PARTLY.

After school, he insisted on driving me home. He asked about the Café Performances, like when they were, etc. I explained that all to him.

(I perform on Sundays, Tuesdays, sometimes Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. The times can vary.)

I then remembered something that I’ve been meaning to ask him for a while.

“Wooyoung, how did you find the café?” I know he’s never heard of it before. That’s when he told me what happened.

When I came running in for my guitar, he was actually in the classroom, just practicing his vocals… So he heard me conversing with my guitar. He followed me back to the café.

He made a remark about me talking to my guitar, which I had no comeback too, so I just stuck my tongue out at him.

When we got to the café, he once again opened my door. I heard people’s remarks, they were way better than school.

“Wow what a gentleman!”

“Now that’s a man who treats a woman right!”

“Yeobo why don’t you do that for me?!”

That last one made me giggle.

He and I entered the café,

“Thanks for the ride Wooyoung!” I smiled at him. He just smiled back. I dragged him to a table, and ordered Banana Milk Coffee for both of us.

“So we should set up times to rehearse and stuff.” I told him, as I took a sip. So good…

“Yeah I agree.” He thought for a second, and took a sip. “How about we just hang out every day?”

…Well that came out of nowhere.

“Uh… Don’t you hang out with all the Populars every day?” I asked him.

First he leaves them at lunch, now he wants to leave them every day?

“Well… I don’t really wanna hang out with someone there.” He stretched out the word someone. Looks like someone got on his bad side.

“Ok… I guess we can start hanging out every day.” I quickly added on, “But it’s not my fault if anyone thinks anything!”

“Huh?” He was confused. “What would people think?”

Great Jieun. Just dig your own grave. No way am I going to tell him that! It’s embarrassing.

“Err… nothing!” he gave me a look then shrugged it off. He gulped down the rest of his coffee.

“Well I should head home,” He wrote something on a piece of paper. “Here’s my number.” He gave me the paper. I then gave him my number.

“Bye Jieun!” He stood up and waved. “I’m really glad we’re friends.” He smiled and turned to leave. I sat there in a trance because of his words.

Friends? I’ve never really had a friend before…

“Bye Wooyoung! I’m really glad we’re friends too!” I shocked myself by saying those words. They just came out, I’m glad they did though. They seemed to make his smile even bigger.

Jang Wooyoung, I am truly glad that you’re my friend. My first friend.

~

15?! SERIOUSLY? THANKS SO MUCH GUYS! :D

Lol "Banana Milk Coffee" XD