He's Hurting

Secret Duet [HIATUS]

Waking up the next morning wasn’t the most comfortable thing. I groaned as I tried to stretch out my sore limbs. I really have to remember not to fall asleep at my desk. I checked the time.

5:58

I better go take a shower. 

Grabbing my uniform I walked over to the bathroom and started the water.


Fresh and squeaky clean I walked back into room and plopped onto my bed. I turned to my side table to pick up my bracelet, and slipped it on.

I stared at the bracelet and smiled. Oh memories…

It was a random day in kindergarten. I was waiting for Umma and Appa to pick me up. They were really late that day, which scared me to death. They had never been late to pick me up before. The teacher had stayed with me that day, but soon she had to go home, so she sent me over to the next classroom over, to wait with the other teacher.

A boy in that class was also waiting for his parents, for some reason he didn’t seem as scared as I was.  He also seemed to notice this, so he walked over to the piano and began to play. I remember clearly being shocked, his playing sounded really good.

But what really got to me was when he started to sing. Just wow. I walked over to him and started to sing along. The teacher was watching us, smiling.

It didn’t seem long before our parents came, time flies when you’re having fun. I remember my parents apologizing over and over to me, promising to get me ice cream. I don’t remember what his parents had said to him, in fact I don’t remember if they said anything to him at all.

When I started to leave with my parents, the boy stopped me real quick. He then gave me a charm bracelet, engraved with the word ‘owl’, his nickname, telling me it was for good luck in becoming a singer.

The next day before the bell rang I walked over to his class to find him. I couldn’t spot him in one of the desks so I went to ask his teacher. She told me he moved that yesterday was his last day.

To this day I still don’t know his real name.

I sat there trying to picture his face, but all I got was a blur.

“Jieun!” Aboji called me. “You’re going to be late for school!”

6:52

Remembering old memories sure does take a long time. I looked down at my desk, Wooyoung’s phone and keys sat there. Sigh. Just looking at his things make me feel-

“Jieun!”

“I’m going!”


The bell rang right as I entered the classroom.

My teacher looked surprised that I came in alone, others looked glad.

Quickly I strode to my seat. I could feel Wooyoung’s constant glancing. His eyes never failed to flicker to me. The same way my eyes never failed to flicker to him.

The room filled with loud teenage chatter, but Wooyoung didn’t pay attention to any of it.

All his focus seemed to be on me. I noticed him taking small glances at me, I never returned the glance. I was too scared of the chance of being caught, like he was.

The silence between the two of us was scary.

Without looking at him I took out his keys and phone then placed them on his desk.

The bell rang right after I did that, and when it did he was the first one out, not bringing anything except for his keys and phone.

Our whole class sat and stared, Wooyoung had never been like that before. I had to restrain myself from the urge of wanting to go and run after him. I soon regretted doing that.   

Ham Eunjung was the second out the door.


He ran away. Not just from the room, not just from her, or from his ‘friends’.

But from himself.

Now he was running out of the school. Tears streamed down his face.

It just hit him hard.

He just felt so… incomplete without her actual presence.
Sure she was right there, physically next to him, but… that doesn’t mean anything if she just ignores him.

That whole time in the classroom he just wanted her to say something. Anything. He would’ve loved it if she said that she missed him, but he would’ve been completely fine with just a hello.

But she said nothing to him. Not one word.
He had felt like he had been stabbed.

The two of them had become close friends fast. They talked every day of every moment that they could. They had and have a history together. And he loved it. He loved being able to have someone to confide too. He loved having a friend like her.

He knows he messed up when he walked out on her. When he didn’t tell her about Eunjung, but he can’t tell her what happened with Eunjung. It’s just… too serious. A mistake, an accident. And he’s not ready to tell that secret.

But even then, he still should’ve gone back, and if he could go back and change what happened, he would. However, life isn’t made up of ifs.

He ran faster, more tears flowing.

The one moment of sudden pain playing again and again in his mind:

Without a word or even a simple glance, she placed the keys onto his desk.

Did she hate him?

Once the thought entered his mind, he stopped, and right in the middle of the parking lot, he collapsed to his knees.

She hates him doesn’t she? She wouldn’t talk to him. She wouldn’t even look at him. Not even one simple look of recognition. She just flat out ignored him.

Between his sobs, he choked, “She’s hates me.”

The emptiness he felt was eating him inside out.

His sobs and tears wouldn’t stop; his breath was short and ragged, like he was hyperventilating.

And it hurt him. It hurt so much.

~~~

Thank you all for subscribing and commenting it just means so much to me. 

And also, thanks for the upvotes!

I really wasn't expecting that! LOL

 

Well, things here are getting serious in the story,

you guys probably noticed. 

And I know you guys are itching to know what's the deal between Eunjung and Wooyoung,

but I'm going to make you guys wait~ Sorry! 

All I'll say is that the thing that happened between them is BIG

 

Well anyways, 

thanks for reading!

Don't forget to comment and subscribe!

Until next time~