He's Gone

Secret Duet [HIATUS]

 

Wooyoung’s tone of voice made me cringe. He sounds so fake. I know he’s trying to act happy, especially for this song, but… “Wooyoung stop.”

Abruptly, the sound stopped. “What’s wrong Jieun?” I placed my guitar onto my bed.

I looked him straight in the eye, but he looked away. “I should be asking you that Wooyoung. What is with you? Did you hear how you sounded?” I slightly snapped when I said that, but for now, it’ll slide. “What’s wrong? Is it Eun-”

“No.” he interrupted me, not letting my say the name. “Don’t say her name.”

Confused I scoot up closer to him. “What is your past with her?”

His lips trembled. “I’ll tell you later in the future.”

Stupidly, I pestered on. “No. Tell me now.”

This argument went on and on. Why won’t he tell me?

“Jieun, how about you perform alone tonight?” he said, ending the whole argument.

My eyes widened at him. Perform alone? Without him? My mouth made shapes but no sound came from my mouth. I haven’t performed alone in so long, I don’t remember how. I’ve had Wooyoung for too long now.

“Fine!” I jumped at my own voice. Both of us were shocked at my answer. Why did I say that?! I didn’t mean that, I need Wooyoung. I need him.

He nodded and walked towards the door. “Oh, you’ll have to walk to school tomorrow, probably for the rest of the week, maybe even longer…” he trailed off. He looked at me one last time, and then left.

I looked down and stared at my hands. Did that really just happen?

“Wooyoung…?” I ran out the door. No, please, I can’t perform without you. And I can’t cancel another performance. “Wooyoung!” I ran out the door. He’s gone.

A bad feeling washed over me.

Something stopped me from walking out the door.


Wooyoung waited by the door. “Is she going to come out?” he mumbled to himself. Years seem to be passing by, but he didn’t move. He kept waiting, wanting, hoping for her to come out and chase after him. But she never did. He stayed there by the door for forever, but she never came out.

Her mistake.

Trembling, he walked away. “Guess I’ll be camping in the car tonight.” He sighed. “Or I could go back…” furiously he shook his head. Why would he even think of doing that?

That would be a coward move, a shameful one as well. A hit to his pride.

His mistake.

Walking down the stairs became a hard task, he could barely see through his tear-filled eyes. He wiped them. “Be a man.” He quietly muttered to himself. He made it into the café, no one really cared that he was coming from upstairs; all the customers were used to him. Only one cared, she is the only person who didn’t know, and the only person who is bothered that he is coming from up there.

Wooyoung walked out of the café, wondering where he would be sleeping tonight. He couldn’t just camp at the front of the café, he had to find somewhere to park. “Maybe I should just stay in a motel instead…”

“Wooyoung!” a boy’s voice called. Wooyoung’s breath hitched at the speaker’s voice.

Fate is either on his side or completely against him.


Why didn’t I go after him? That one question played on an endless playlist.

But why didn’t I? Something really bad could happen to him. He could get hurt or kidnapped. Things even worse than that could happen to him!

I slapped my face, trying to clear my head of those dreaded thoughts.

I can’t think like that! He chose to leave; he could’ve come back in if he wanted too… right?

Once again I slapped my face. Wooyoung isn’t stupid! He can take care of himself. Besides, he needs to cool down. Sighing I closed the door, but then I stared back at it.

What am I doing?

It’s my fault he left; I kept pestering him when he obviously didn’t want to talk about it. Rushing to my room I grabbed my phone and called him.

The room suddenly filled with the sound of his ringtone.

He left his phone here.

Panic washed over me. I wouldn’t be able to contact him; he wouldn’t be able to contact me! If he were really to get in to some kind of trouble…

Instincts taking over I ran back to the front door and yanked it open. I took one step out when I remembered: I can’t leave, I have to perform today.

I groaned to myself and checked the time.

3:49

There’s no time. He could be anywhere; even if I were able to figure out where he is I don’t have a fast way of getting to him. Not to mention I have no clue what I’ll be singing today. I bit my lip. Assuring myself he’ll be fine, I gradually closed the door. I took a huge breath.

Wooyoung, please be safe.


A knock came to my door. Hope quickly replaced my worry. “Yes?” I asked eagerly.

The door opened, to my disappointment, it wasn’t who I wanted to be. The worry came back, hope completely diminished. “Yes Aboji?”

He grinned at me. “Just reminding you that you’re on soon, by the way, where is Wooyoung?”

My heart stopped at that question. I gave no reply. I have the same exact question as he does. Where is Wooyoung? My body shivered at the emptiness I feel right now without him.

“Jieun, where is he?”

I started to stutter. “I-I-um-well-um-” thankfully, I was saved by my alarm. “Oh look! Showtime!” I pushed passed him and went onto stage.

I gave the same greeting to the audience as I did any other night, I then added a quick apology of the surprise cancellation of the previous show, and finally gave a vague explanation of why Jason isn’t here.

And then I performed.


At the end, I trudged offstage, completely shocked at myself.  

I had just given the emptiest performance of my life.

At first, I hadn’t realized it was that bad. But at the end, when I received no applause, and just stares… I figured it out. My mind recalled the performance. I had no feeling throughout the whole thing, no facial expressions, it wasn’t even boring. It was just…

An empty performance.

I can’t even describe how… disappointed I am in myself. I feel no embarrassment what so ever, just disappointment.

Disappointment.

“J-Jieun.” Aboji stared at me with wide eyes. He too is shocked. I weakly smiled at him.

My eyes filled with tears, I glanced at my bracelet, and more tears came. Quietly the words came out, I’m not sure if Aboji heard, but it doesn’t matter if he did.

“You never know what you have, until it’s gone.” I looked up at Aboji, but all I see is him. He's gone, but,

“I need him.”

~~~

So you guys didn't have to wait as long as before...

But it still took a while.

Still, this was an improvement right? 

And I know some of you want to know the "Wooyoung-Eunjung" sitution, but you'll have to be a little patient!

Who knows when I'll tell you guys that LOL sorry~

 

Well anyways, 

Thanks for reading!

Don't forget to comment and subscribe!