Chapter Nine

Can I continue feeling this way?

The next morning was pretty normal. Tao and I still had the day off and the others had an earlier schedule so we both had more time together. The day went by fast, us just playing games until late, and when it came close to dinner time, I went to sooth Tao's grumbling stomach. In the middle of our dinner, the phone rang, startling the both of us to the point of dropping our chopsticks. Tao went to answer it. I grabbed two more pairs of chopsticks as he listened to the person on the other side. I watched him curiously, wondering what the call was about. And why Tao wasn't responding. 

I heard one last buzz from the phone as Tao slowly put the phone down.

He hung up and walked out of the room. I started at him, gaping practically, and almost immediately went to chase after him. Before I could even attempt to reach his room, his door was already shut and locked. 

"Tao?" I knocked lightly on the door.

"Are you okay?" I waited a few seconds.

No response.

"Tao." I said more sternly this time. "What's going on?"

Nothing filled the air except hesitation.  And no response came either.  I got irritated. I shouted, pounding the door.

"Huang ZiTao! Open this door!! Tell me what's going on!" My fist met the wood so hard it began to ooze out that all-too-familiar crimson liquid.

"It's none of your concern!!!" he shot back as the sound of shattered glass could be heard and vibrations could be felt. He had just thrown one of his glass vases at the door.  And it had just shattered into millions of unidentifiable pieces.

My heart dropped a little at hearing that. Anything that had to do with Tao did concern me. 

"Fine. If you won't tell me, then I'll find out for myself." I punched the door once more, accidentally drawing blood from my newly swelling wound. I disregarded it and walked over to the phone he had talked on. Due to company policy, all phone conversations are taped. And I just so happened to know a man who can back such things.

Hmph.

Don't.

Cross.

Me.

Huang ZiTao.

I will find out.

------------

The next morning, everyone was awake and getting ready for the days events. My 'friend' was coming over later to give me the tape. Yes, this was most likely more than illegal, but at this point, I would do anything to find out. I did a head count and found that we were missing someone. Sighing inwardly, I walked over to the maeknae's door and placed my ear against it. I felt kind of bad for losing my temper last night, and as I looked at the door, I could see a dent where I had punched it. All I wanted to hear was a sign of life.  I heard nothing.

"...Tao...?" I whispered through the door. The other members were leaving, so I quickly returned their goodbyes and turned my attention back to Tao.  I knocked on the door softly. Trying the doorknob would be futile; I knew more than well it was already locked. The boy hadn't left his room since he entered it last night. Not getting a response, I walked to the common room. For some reason, the company told me to stay home with Tao until his waist got better, meaning I would be off for another few weeks. As much as I was happy about that, I was becoming weary as to what was going on with him. How could I help someone that wouldn't accept it?

I don't know how many hours had passed with myself and my thoughts, but a knock on the door brought me out of my trance. I nearly jumped up to get it.

"Hey, Kris." he answered as I opened the door. I put a finger up to my lips signaling for him to be quiet. I wasn't trying to be rude; I didn't want Tao to hear our conversation. Walking him to the common room, I took the tape from him.

"I'm sorry for calling on such short notice, but I didn't know who else to contact. Yesterday, Tao got a phone call and..." I paused and sighed. "and... He hasn't been the same since. John, I'm so worried." I looked down, ashamed of myself for showing my feelings so easily. John nodded in understanding and watched as I put the tape in a player. Both of us listened intently, not knowing what we were going to hear. There was only static at first, and we were beginning to wonder if we had gotten the wrong recording.

 

"Huang ZiTao?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"...Sir, are you somewhere where you can easily sit down?"

 

"Just go on."

 

"There was an accident yesterday."

 

"..."

 

"You're mother and father were killed."

 

"..."

 

"Sir?"

 

"..."

 

 

"...Sir?"

 

 

 

"..."