Chapter Ten

Can I continue feeling this way?

Before I go on, I must thank my new subscribers!!! Mystery-Mint, WowF4ntasticBaby, twinkletoe, ryokimayuu, exotics, EXOluv95, UndergroundMemories, YoBuddy, alexlovekris, arin0200, ahbaby, U-BIG-B2ST, musicobsessedgirl178, CloudFu, PDKluv, HaeHyukLovers, godh8tsfangs, sumomoyuki, Akira97, ichiu11, sapphire-blue, SuperBangBeast, Midori_bs, butterfly13, cminutebyminute, randomperson123, FlamingSoonjaA, KaiCakes, lanzkilanz, anonym, OblivionOfMisery, TaoBHee, hyosicas, Transtationmania, LogieBearxx, marshielisa12, infinitesungjong, missmacyy, TheKpopfreak4life, Alutka, dilyakyu, and Reekitty!!!

Thank you all!! You're comments make my day!

and later on, and underlined italicised line is actual diologue in the situation :]

 

The tape ended with a 'click', and we both sat there in shock. Tao... No... Is this real? How could this happen?

John put his hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, Kris. For this. If I had known this was on the tape I-"

"No." I cut him off. "I asked you to do this for me. There is no need to apologize." He sighed and nodded. He had other things to do right after, so I handed him the tape and walked him out. As I walked back in the house, the reality of what was going on finally hit me.  Tao had lost his parents. And they were the only family he had. I knew Tao wouldn't let me in his room  no matter how hard I tried, so I just paced around the house. I practiced some choreography here and there and hoped time would pass quickly.

Finally, the other members came home. Exhausted and hungry, it was 7pm before they were able to relax. As they started shuffling into the common room, I cleaned up. I couldn't stand still. I had to do something. And something felt uneasy. After a few more moments, I remembered that it had been more than a day since Tao's last meal. This immediately worried me, and sent me cooking right away. None of the other members were hungry for I fed them earlier, but I still made sure to make a meal that only Tao would like just in case.

I got out all sorts of vegetables and meats and put them in the strainer to wash them. I marinated the meat and let it sit while I diced the veggies in small pieces. I knew he wouldn't had much of an appetite, but I wanted to make sure what he did eat was as wholesome as possible.

"What're you doin' hyung?" Chen walked in. I nearly chopped off my finger from the surprise.

"Jesus! Don't scare me like that!" I scolded him through catching my breath. "And I'm making a meal for Tao."

"Mmmm! Can I taste?" he gave me a cheeky smile.

"No."

"Aww. Come on. Just one bite?" he begged.

"No."

"Aish. You're always giving in when it comes to Tao. Why don't I get special meals?" he crossed his arms as he spoke. His comment made my heart jump. He noticed that I always gave into Tao... 

"Because you're not sick." I couldn't bring myself to tell him about Tao's parents. I'm sure he wouldn't like the pity, and explaining the story to each member would be more than torturous. I couldn't do that to him. For now, I would just have to say he's sick.

"Is that why he hasn't come out of his room?" Chen asked, a slight twinge of worry showing through.

"Yes." I hesitated. In all honesty, I almost immediately regretted telling him Tao was sick. What if he tries to help him? I want to be the only one to help him. I scowled, bothered by the thought of anyone else caring for Tao.

"...But don't bother him. It'll only afflict him more. Got it?" I recovered from my earlier slip up and made sure Chen understood.

"Aghh. Fine." he heaved a big sigh and left the room. I turned my attention back to the meal and smiled at the thought of Tao eating it. I heard everyone getting ready for bed (certainly going to bed earlier than usual) and suddenly felt tired. I looked up at the clock: 9:10. I'd been cooking for over an hour and a half now.

After another moment, the meal was finished. I smiled as I placed each side carefully on the dish, making it visually appealing as well. Knowing he wouldn't open the door if I came to it, I placed it on the table with a note:

 

Chen, Lay, LuHan, XuiMin,

if you even look at this with a wanting eye, I will kill you :)

This is for Tao and only Tao.

Again, if any of you touch it, you will die :)

Tao, enjoy~

-Kris

 

Man it smelled good. I had to stop myself from eating it as I cooked it. I had only hoped the smell traveled through the house so that he would know it was here for him.  Putting other thoughts aside, I got ready for bed and landed on the pillow. Seconds later, I was out.

---------------------------------------------

Tao... What're you doing up? You need to sleep, okay? Here, lay down next to me. It should help you fall asleep. I moved aside and lay out my hand as he nestled against my side. The simple brush of his skin against my side sent shivers through my body. He must've fallen asleep quickly; he almost immediately started drooling on my chest.

Lovely.

----------------------------------------------

I started to laugh to myself, but slowly quieted as the scenery started to fade. I opened my eyes to find that it had only been a dream. I sat upwards and cupped my palms over my face. It was still dark, and probably only midnight. I sighed deeply, disappointed that it had only been a dream.

As I was sighing, I heard a small sound.

Ignoring it, I took another breath to slow my racing heartbeat.

Yet, I heard that sound again. 

I froze, seeing if I could hear it again.

 

And I did.

 

It sounded like a scuffle against the hardwood floor.

 

As if someone were dragging their feet with boots or slippers.

 

I froze. 

 

There was only one boy who wore slippers in this house.

 

And that was Tao.