Chapter Twenty Three

Can I continue feeling this way?

 

pic credit to dragonhealers.tumblr.com

 

 

I walked past Tao’s room and wondered if I should wake him up. He had said he was going to be sleeping but it was still light out and the boys were being so noisy I doubt anyone could fall asleep. Deciding in a split second, I bid my feet to turn 180° and stood outside of his door. I knocked on it gently, not wanting to disturb the boy inside if he was infact sleeping.
 
 
Putting my hand on the doorknob, I turned it slowly. When I looked inside, Tao was laying on his bed and staring at the ceiling. He had his arms behind his head and his feet were flat on the bed, knees upward. I don’t think he heard me come inside; he did not look over.
 
 
“…Tao?” I looked to him as I closed the door behind me.
 
 
He jumped up and stared at me with wide eyes. We both stayed frozen in our places for a moment until I broke the silence.
 
 
“Are you feeling okay?” I walked over to the edge of his bed and stood there until he answered.
 
 
“Yes.”
 
 
 I examined his expression. The initial surprise that shone on his face was gone, but this time there was something different in his eyes. I just couldn’t tell what it was.
 
 
“Umm, can I sit?” I looked down to the edge of his bed and he slowly crossed his legs and nodded.
 
 
“The manager wants us to go to this clothing and makeup promotion thing in Beijing next Sunday. It’ll last eight days and we’ll be put in one of their hotels with security so that no photographers stalk us. I think that’s all you need to know; the manager will send us more information.” I stayed for a moment to see if he had any questions, but he said nothing so I got up and went back to the door. I opened it and turned back to Tao.
 
 
“Oh, and we’re the only ones going.” I promptly closed the door and left with a slight smile on my face, trying to imagine what his face looked like when I said that. As soon as I started walking down the hall, a quiet voice called my name. I tilted my head back to see who it was and saw Lay, so I waited for him to catch up to me.
 
 
“What, you didn’t get enough the first time?” I half laughed and reached out my hands to fake-tickle and scare him.
 
 
“Y-yah!” he jumped the other direction while I barely controlled my laughter.
 
 
“What’s up?” I asked him once I composed myself.
 
 
He looked up at me with a serious expression once he got the giggles out of his system. “Are you going to work things out with him?” He spoke in a whisper as to not let the other members hear.
 
 
“Well… I don’t know. I would like to but it seems he’s still pretty unforgiving. He only said one word the whole time I was in his room…” I trailed off.
 
 
“Take this chance. You’re going to be spending eight days together in a shared hotel. The fashion designers and makeup artists will be able to sense the tension between you two. How the manager hasn’t caught on yet is a complete mystery, but that’s beside the point. Kris, listen to me and take this chance to clear things up.”
 
 
“But what if-”
 
 
“No. No ‘but’s’, ‘what’s’, or ‘if’s’. Trap him if you need to. If he’s taken this long and then some to even open up then it’s going to be difficult. Get him where he can’t escape and don’t leave until you’ve gotten and given answers.” He spoke confidently.
 
 
I looked down, absorbing his words. Before I knew it, his fingers had come under my chin and lightly lifted my head up.
 
 
“Keep your chin up.” He smiled.
 
 
Before I got the chance to talk back, he spoke again.
 
 
“Will you promise to make up?” He asked whole heartedly.
 
 
I hesitated. Of course I wanted to, but the teen was so hard to reach. Plus, I would feel incredibly guilty for leaving Lay like he was just an extra item. That’s not what he is at all. He’s special to me, but… just in a different way that Tao is….
 
 
Lay interrupted my thoughts. “If you’re worried about me, don’t be. Your happiness means more to me than my own. You need to do this. Do it for me, okay?”
 
 
I glanced around the hall, unable to look him in the eyes. It would seem he was reading my mind, but I know that his response was just a coincidence. Feeling how truthful he was being touched me in a way that is not even describable. He was speaking from the bottom of his heart. How could he be so selfless? How could a person possibly be so genuine?
 
 
He bobbed his head this and that-a-way to find my eyes and whispered when he found them. “Promise?”
 
 
“…I promise.” I whispered back and closed the gap between us, squeezing him tight with my arms. “Just know that you will always hold a special place in my heart.” And with that, he hugged back with as much friendly squeezing he could muster.